    track internet usage better than Xtra's meter? I can't figure out why I
    am up to 80% of my 1 gig allowance already and only 8 days into the
    monthly cycle.
    Mrs Beeble Brock, Oct 25, 2004

  2. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
    > Hi, can anyone recommend a good programme, easy to install, that can
    > track internet usage better than Xtra's meter? I can't figure out why I
    > am up to 80% of my 1 gig allowance already and only 8 days into the
    > monthly cycle.

    I have been using Net Meter http://readerror.gmxhome.de/

    Gives up and down loads; daily, weekly, monthly. Also, you can change
    the day counting starts to match your billing cycle.

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 25, 2004

  3. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Geronimo Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 19:56:11 +1300, Mrs Beeble Brock
    <> wrote:

    >Hi, can anyone recommend a good programme, easy to install, that can
    >track internet usage better than Xtra's meter? I can't figure out why I
    >am up to 80% of my 1 gig allowance already and only 8 days into the
    >monthly cycle.

    So easy to happen with a fast service, it runs away with you.

    Try this its FREE.

    NetStat Live

    http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network.htm

    you must set it so it loads each time Windows start..

    Don't forget with a Byte charge system, you pay for all the Crap, errors, ISP
    cockups and TX data and DOS attacks.
    Geronimo, Oct 25, 2004
  4. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Baloo Guest

    You have to watch them like a hawk, month before last, ours did not reset
    properly on the rollover, no apology, did not even really want to reset it
    when we rung them up.

    fwiw

    Warren

    Baloo, Oct 25, 2004
  5. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Enkidu Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Hi, can anyone recommend a good programme, easy to install, that can
    >track internet usage better than Xtra's meter? I can't figure out why I
    >am up to 80% of my 1 gig allowance already and only 8 days into the
    >monthly cycle.

    Virus/Trojan/open relay.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Oct 25, 2004
  6. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Paul Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 19:56:11 +1300, Mrs Beeble Brock
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi, can anyone recommend a good programme, easy to install, that can
    >>track internet usage better than Xtra's meter? I can't figure out why I
    >>am up to 80% of my 1 gig allowance already and only 8 days into the
    >>monthly cycle.

    > Virus/Trojan/open relay.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Filesharing? I know so many people with Kazaa horror stories.

    "But I haven't downloaded 1GB", they say.

    Followed by, "what do u mean uploading counts as traffic?"

    Paul
    Paul, Oct 25, 2004
  7. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Geronimo Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:06:23 +1300, Paul <> wrote:

    >Enkidu wrote:
    >> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 19:56:11 +1300, Mrs Beeble Brock
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi, can anyone recommend a good programme, easy to install, that can
    >>>track internet usage better than Xtra's meter? I can't figure out why I
    >>>am up to 80% of my 1 gig allowance already and only 8 days into the
    >>>monthly cycle.

    >> Virus/Trojan/open relay.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    >Filesharing? I know so many people with Kazaa horror stories.
    >
    >"But I haven't downloaded 1GB", they say.
    >
    >Followed by, "what do u mean uploading counts as traffic?"
    >
    >Paul

    ItsTotal trafic both ways..
    Geronimo, Oct 25, 2004
  8. Thanks for the suggestions, Chris and Geronimo. I'll give them a try.
    Regarding P2P sharing, I can always see what is being uploaded so I know
    that's not it. I regularly scan for viruses and adaware too.

    I do realise incoming and outgoing both account for usage. I wonder if
    newsgroups are a big drain - for example how many mbs would it be if I
    haven't read, say nz.comp for a couple of weeks and elect to download
    all message headers?

    Mrs Beeble Brock, Oct 25, 2004
  9. Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
    > I do realise incoming and outgoing both account for usage. I wonder if
    > newsgroups are a big drain - for example how many mbs would it be if I
    > haven't read, say nz.comp for a couple of weeks and elect to download
    > all message headers?

    **** all.
    they're text only, and most messages are under 3kbytes
    300 messages per day is well over what is here, so thats under 1MB of
    info per day.
    even if you make the average message size 30Kbytes, it's only 9MB a day.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 25, 2004