Xtra Starter Kit Modem - Does it connect using Ethernet to a router / switch?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alan, Nov 28, 2006.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi All,

    I am considering moving from Woosh (5Gb for $39.95 on 1600 / 128) to
    Xtra's GoLarge plan (Unlimited data with conditions for $49.95 on,
    say, 2500 / 128 depending on my connection).

    On their site
    (http://www.telecom.co.nz/chm/0,8763,202933-203658,00.html) it says
    that the basic starter kit allows connection of one PC. However, it
    also says it comes with an ethernet cable. I'm not sure if the modem
    is also a router, but either way, if I can connect an ethernet cable
    to the LAN side of the modem then presumably I can connect it to
    another router or switch and establish connections from multiple PCs
    at once (albeit more slowly)?

    Is that correct?

    Thanks,

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
    Alan, Nov 28, 2006

  2. Try looking at the modems specs on the DLink website.

    I would think that the modem would have a router built in but if it
    doesnt you can always build your own using an old PC and a linux
    distro like Smoothwall or IPCop

    David Goodwin, Nov 28, 2006

  3. Alan

    thingy Guest

    Re: Xtra Starter Kit Modem - Does it connect using Ethernet to arouter / switch?

    Alan wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am considering moving from Woosh (5Gb for $39.95 on 1600 / 128) to
    > Xtra's GoLarge plan (Unlimited data with conditions for $49.95 on,
    > say, 2500 / 128 depending on my connection).
    >
    > On their site
    > (http://www.telecom.co.nz/chm/0,8763,202933-203658,00.html) it says
    > that the basic starter kit allows connection of one PC. However, it
    > also says it comes with an ethernet cable. I'm not sure if the modem
    > is also a router, but either way, if I can connect an ethernet cable
    > to the LAN side of the modem then presumably I can connect it to
    > another router or switch and establish connections from multiple PCs
    > at once (albeit more slowly)?

    Depends on the diversification effect, if 3 of you are all downloading
    cds of music at the same time, yes you will be slower. If you are all
    web browsing no I would not expect you to notice the contention.

    > Is that correct?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alan.

    http://www.dlink.com.au/Products.aspx?Sec=1&Sub1=1&Sub2=2&PID=48

    Says dhcp by default and it gives out a 10.xxxx range subnetted to a /24
    so 250 odd machines, and designed for small offices....NAT
    protection....nice little unit....

    If you googled on the unit and downloaded the manual it says it all....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Nov 28, 2006
  4. Alan

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Alan" <> wrote in news:ekgfai$6du$:

    > then presumably I can connect it to
    > another router or switch and establish connections from multiple PCs
    > at once (albeit more slowly)?

    Usually.
    Sometimes the first NIC that the modem sees, the MAC address gets "locked"
    into the modem and that is your "pc". That said, NZ ISPs don't seem to lock
    their equipment down by MAC address, so yeah, just share it after the
    router you drop in downstream. People do this and it may be against their
    terms and conditions, but they do it. A valid reason is to have additional
    protection from the internet. Just don't use USB and ICS. Use ethernet
    and a dedicated firewall/NAT box. USB is a last resort.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Nov 28, 2006
  5. Alan

    Earl Grey Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am considering moving from Woosh (5Gb for $39.95 on 1600 / 128) to
    > Xtra's GoLarge plan (Unlimited data with conditions for $49.95 on,
    > say, 2500 / 128 depending on my connection).
    >
    > On their site
    > (http://www.telecom.co.nz/chm/0,8763,202933-203658,00.html) it says
    > that the basic starter kit allows connection of one PC. However, it
    > also says it comes with an ethernet cable. I'm not sure if the modem
    > is also a router, but either way, if I can connect an ethernet cable
    > to the LAN side of the modem then presumably I can connect it to
    > another router or switch and establish connections from multiple PCs
    > at once (albeit more slowly)?
    >
    > Is that correct?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alan.

    The DSL 302 is a router, if you connect a switch to its ethernet port,
    it will allocate up to 30 dhcp ip addresses
    Earl Grey, Nov 28, 2006
  6. In article <ekgfai$6du$>, says...

    > On their site
    > (http://www.telecom.co.nz/chm/0,8763,202933-203658,00.html) it says
    > that the basic starter kit allows connection of one PC. However, it
    > also says it comes with an ethernet cable. I'm not sure if the modem
    > is also a router, but either way, if I can connect an ethernet cable
    > to the LAN side of the modem then presumably I can connect it to
    > another router or switch and establish connections from multiple PCs
    > at once (albeit more slowly)?
    >
    > Is that correct?

    The one my neighbours got sent initially was a simple adsl modem that allowed
    connection either by usb or by rj45 ethernet cable. Either, or. No router or
    switch involved.
    Since they have two machines I suggested they call Xtra and try to get a
    hardware upgrade to a router and that went over smoothly, they even got sent a
    free courier bag to return the single port modem. Some times helpdroids are
    even helpful ;-)

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Nov 28, 2006
  7. Alan

    David Empson Guest

    Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    > In article <ekgfai$6du$>, says...
    > >
    > > On their site
    > > (http://www.telecom.co.nz/chm/0,8763,202933-203658,00.html) it says
    > > that the basic starter kit allows connection of one PC. However, it
    > > also says it comes with an ethernet cable. I'm not sure if the modem
    > > is also a router, but either way, if I can connect an ethernet cable
    > > to the LAN side of the modem then presumably I can connect it to
    > > another router or switch and establish connections from multiple PCs
    > > at once (albeit more slowly)?
    > >
    > > Is that correct?

    > The one my neighbours got sent initially was a simple adsl modem that allowed
    > connection either by usb or by rj45 ethernet cable. Either, or. No router or
    > switch involved.

    That's the DSL302, and I believe it supports simultaneous connections to
    the USB and Ethernet ports (though I've never seen one set up like
    that). It allocates different IP address ranges to each port.

    You can connect an external hub or switch to the Ethernet port, and use
    that to connect multiple computers to the ADSL modem. Its DHCP server
    can allocate a maximum of 30 addresses, but you could connect more
    computers than that with some extra hardware or manual configuration.

    > Since they have two machines I suggested they call Xtra and try to get a
    > hardware upgrade to a router and that went over smoothly, they even got sent a
    > free courier bag to return the single port modem. Some times helpdroids are
    > even helpful ;-)

    That's probably an easier solution. On request, Telecom will supply the
    DSL504, which has a built-in four port Ethernet switch (and no USB
    port).

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Nov 28, 2006
  8. Alan

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-11-28, Alan <> wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am considering moving from Woosh (5Gb for $39.95 on 1600 / 128) to
    > Xtra's GoLarge plan (Unlimited data with conditions for $49.95 on,
    > say, 2500 / 128 depending on my connection).
    >
    > On their site
    > (http://www.telecom.co.nz/chm/0,8763,202933-203658,00.html) it says
    > that the basic starter kit allows connection of one PC. However, it
    > also says it comes with an ethernet cable. I'm not sure if the modem
    > is also a router, but either way, if I can connect an ethernet cable
    > to the LAN side of the modem then presumably I can connect it to
    > another router or switch and establish connections from multiple PCs
    > at once (albeit more slowly)?

    Most ADSL modems are routers also.

    In that case a switch would not increase ping times measurably
    most modem+routers with several ethernet ports just have a
    switch inside them. Data throughput would be shared.

    If it's modem only the switch could still be used AIUI but you'd have to
    configure one PC to be the router for the lan. Ping times could go up by
    10ms or so, load-dependant. Data throughput would be shared.

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Nov 28, 2006