    I HATE SPAMMERS
    SPAMMERS ARE LOW LIFE &^&*^&^*%*^%$&*&
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    SchoolTech, Jun 20, 2006

  2. SchoolTech

    Crash Guest

    SchoolTech wrote:
    > Three of my Xtra accounts have suddenly received spam for the first
    > time. There seem to be two or three possible options:
    >
    > * Someone hacked Xtra's user database
    > * There was a massive dictionary spam attack on Xtra's servers
    > * Some nasty %&^%$^%$& hacked into my computer and dredged all the email
    > addresses (I use Mozilla Thunderbird, which stores mail messages in
    > plain text format)
    >
    > It seems likely the third option is what has happened since this
    > computer was hacked (I reinstalled Windows only a week ago) and not all
    > my Xtra accounts or aliases have been spammed.

    [snip]

    * You used those Xtra addresses in various Usenet posts?

    Crash.

    Crash, Jun 21, 2006

  3. SchoolTech

    SchoolTech Guest

    Crash wrote:
    > SchoolTech wrote:
    >> Three of my Xtra accounts have suddenly received spam for the first
    >> time. There seem to be two or three possible options:
    >>
    >> * Someone hacked Xtra's user database
    >> * There was a massive dictionary spam attack on Xtra's servers
    >> * Some nasty %&^%$^%$& hacked into my computer and dredged all the
    >> email addresses (I use Mozilla Thunderbird, which stores mail messages
    >> in plain text format)
    >>
    >> It seems likely the third option is what has happened since this
    >> computer was hacked (I reinstalled Windows only a week ago) and not
    >> all my Xtra accounts or aliases have been spammed.

    > [snip]
    >
    > * You used those Xtra addresses in various Usenet posts?
    >
    > Crash.

    No.

    SchoolTech, Jun 21, 2006
  4. SchoolTech

    Vista Guest

    "SchoolTech" <> wrote in message
    > Three of my Xtra accounts have suddenly received spam for the first time.
    > There seem to be two or three possible options:
    >
    > * Someone hacked Xtra's user database
    > * There was a massive dictionary spam attack on Xtra's servers
    > * Some nasty %&^%$^%$& hacked into my computer and dredged all the email
    > addresses (I use Mozilla Thunderbird, which stores mail messages in plain
    > text format)
    >
    > It seems likely the third option is what has happened since this computer
    > was hacked (I reinstalled Windows only a week ago) and not all my Xtra
    > accounts or aliases have been spammed.
    >
    > I HATE SPAMMERS
    > SPAMMERS ARE LOW LIFE &^&*^&^*%*^%$&*&
    > !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Then why did your title the post xtra spamming? Very misleading title

    Vista, Jun 21, 2006
  5. SchoolTech

    SchoolTech Guest

    Vista wrote:
    > "SchoolTech" <> wrote in message
    >> Three of my Xtra accounts have suddenly received spam for the first time.
    >> There seem to be two or three possible options:
    >>
    >> * Someone hacked Xtra's user database
    >> * There was a massive dictionary spam attack on Xtra's servers
    >> * Some nasty %&^%$^%$& hacked into my computer and dredged all the email
    >> addresses (I use Mozilla Thunderbird, which stores mail messages in plain
    >> text format)
    >>
    >> It seems likely the third option is what has happened since this computer
    >> was hacked (I reinstalled Windows only a week ago) and not all my Xtra
    >> accounts or aliases have been spammed.
    >>
    >> I HATE SPAMMERS
    >> SPAMMERS ARE LOW LIFE &^&*^&^*%*^%$&*&
    >> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    > Then why did your title the post xtra spamming? Very misleading title

    It's not at all misleading
    I only received spam on my Xtra accounts.
    I have accounts with other ISPs, but of all the different accounts I
    have only the Xtra ones had spam delivered to them.

    SchoolTech, Jun 21, 2006
  6. SchoolTech wrote:
    > Three of my Xtra accounts have suddenly received spam for the first
    > time. There seem to be two or three possible options:
    >
    > * Someone hacked Xtra's user database
    > * There was a massive dictionary spam attack on Xtra's servers
    > * Some nasty %&^%$^%$& hacked into my computer and dredged all the email
    > addresses (I use Mozilla Thunderbird, which stores mail messages in
    > plain text format)
    >
    > It seems likely the third option is what has happened since this
    > computer was hacked (I reinstalled Windows only a week ago) and not all
    > my Xtra accounts or aliases have been spammed.
    >
    > I HATE SPAMMERS
    > SPAMMERS ARE LOW LIFE &^&*^&^*%*^%$&*&
    > !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Maybe like NNTP, they've taken the SPAM filtering away without letting
    anyone know in an appropriate way :) After all... it is a
    'complimentary' service too :)

    Helenski Klark, Jun 21, 2006
  7. SchoolTech

    Collector_NZ Guest

    SchoolTech wrote:
    > Vista wrote:
    >> "SchoolTech" <> wrote in message
    >>> Three of my Xtra accounts have suddenly received spam for the first
    >>> time. There seem to be two or three possible options:
    >>>
    >>> * Someone hacked Xtra's user database
    >>> * There was a massive dictionary spam attack on Xtra's servers
    >>> * Some nasty %&^%$^%$& hacked into my computer and dredged all the
    >>> email addresses (I use Mozilla Thunderbird, which stores mail
    >>> messages in plain text format)
    >>>
    >>> It seems likely the third option is what has happened since this
    >>> computer was hacked (I reinstalled Windows only a week ago) and not
    >>> all my Xtra accounts or aliases have been spammed.
    >>>
    >>> I HATE SPAMMERS
    >>> SPAMMERS ARE LOW LIFE &^&*^&^*%*^%$&*&
    >>> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    >> Then why did your title the post xtra spamming? Very misleading title

    > It's not at all misleading
    > I only received spam on my Xtra accounts.
    > I have accounts with other ISPs, but of all the different accounts I
    > have only the Xtra ones had spam delivered to them.

    Oh dear, each address is unique, so you cannot assume anything. Sure
    somehow the xtra addresses got on a spam run, shit happens so get on
    with life.
    The minute you commit a email address to any place on the web then it is
    probably it will be spammed.
    Xtra are not spamming, they are only responsible for delivering mail, it
    would be true to say xtra are spamming if the mail originated from them,
    so yes you are misleading in your subject line unless the mail came from
    them as opposed to just be delivered by them.

    Collector_NZ, Jun 21, 2006
  8. SchoolTech

    thingy Guest

    SchoolTech wrote:
    > Three of my Xtra accounts have suddenly received spam for the first
    > time. There seem to be two or three possible options:
    >
    > * Someone hacked Xtra's user database
    > * There was a massive dictionary spam attack on Xtra's servers
    > * Some nasty %&^%$^%$& hacked into my computer and dredged all the email
    > addresses (I use Mozilla Thunderbird, which stores mail messages in
    > plain text format)
    >
    > It seems likely the third option is what has happened since this
    > computer was hacked (I reinstalled Windows only a week ago) and not all
    > my Xtra accounts or aliases have been spammed.
    >
    > I HATE SPAMMERS
    > SPAMMERS ARE LOW LIFE &^&*^&^*%*^%$&*&
    > !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    4) xtra's anti-spam servers trashed themselves and they let spam through
    while they recovered.
    5) Xtra's mail queues got so long that there was a danger mail wouldnt
    get through in 5 days, so they let it through....
    6) Internal spam attack from xtra customers beating the externally
    facing spamm catchers.

    All sort of c*ck ups are possible....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jun 21, 2006
  9. SchoolTech

    Peter Nield Guest

    "Helenski Klark" <> wrote in message
    > SchoolTech wrote:
    > Maybe like NNTP, they've taken the SPAM filtering away without letting
    > anyone know in an appropriate way :) After all... it is a
    > 'complimentary' service too :)

    The usual problem with the "content scanning gateways" is that they most are
    a bit naive in storing the e-mails in the queue in one folder.

    That's ok for a few hundred files.

    When you hit a thousand or so, it takes a server a bit of time to find the
    next file. things slow down a fraction.

    hit 10,000+ and the server will be verging on spending more time locating
    the next file than actually processing it.

    hit 1,000,000, you may as well format the partition. or wait a week for
    your e-mail to get through.

    This is one horrible side effect of the FAT and NTFS file systems - there's
    nothing particulary elegant about the file system way of storing directory
    entries. There's no index to make searches fast. Each directory is just a
    list of files which needs to be searched from the start each time a file is
    lokoed up.

    (Hint to the Mail Marshal developers reading this - have a bunch of
    sub-folders for storing queued messages. Store 100 files in each folder.
    once you've hit a hundred files, move to the next folder. Have a limit of a
    hundred objects per folder. if 100 folders of one hundred files each isn't
    enough (10,000 messages), create a two-level directory structure -
    10,000,000 messages. PRETTY PLEASE)

    Peter Nield, Jun 21, 2006
  10. > This is one horrible side effect of the FAT and NTFS file systems - there's
    > nothing particulary elegant about the file system way of storing directory
    > entries. There's no index to make searches fast. Each directory is just a
    > list of files which needs to be searched from the start each time a file is
    > lokoed up.

    Waz taking the mickey. :)

    But I think you'll probably find that Xtra's mail servers could be unix
    based systems rather than M$ anyway. Could be wrong tho.

    HelensKi KlarK, Jun 21, 2006
  11. SchoolTech

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <e7b5r9$m9$>,
    "Peter Nield" <> wrote:

    >This is one horrible side effect of the FAT and NTFS file systems - there's
    >nothing particulary elegant about the file system way of storing directory
    >entries. There's no index to make searches fast. Each directory is just a
    >list of files which needs to be searched from the start each time a file is
    >lokoed up.

    Correct for FAT, but NTFS (and HPFS, and JFS, and I think the most commonly
    used *ix file systems) use a b-tree structure. I can't speak for all of
    them, but I know for HPFS there is no noticeable slowdown with 30,000 files
    in one directory on the old PIII system I'm typing this on.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Don Hills, Jun 21, 2006
  12. SchoolTech

    Steve Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 22:08:32 +1200, Peter Nield wrote:

    > "Helenski Klark" <> wrote in message
    >> SchoolTech wrote:
    >> Maybe like NNTP, they've taken the SPAM filtering away without letting
    >> anyone know in an appropriate way :) After all... it is a
    >> 'complimentary' service too :)

    > The usual problem with the "content scanning gateways" is that they most are
    > a bit naive in storing the e-mails in the queue in one folder.
    >
    > That's ok for a few hundred files.
    >
    > When you hit a thousand or so, it takes a server a bit of time to find the
    > next file. things slow down a fraction.
    >
    > hit 10,000+ and the server will be verging on spending more time locating
    > the next file than actually processing it.
    >
    > hit 1,000,000, you may as well format the partition. or wait a week for
    > your e-mail to get through.
    >
    > This is one horrible side effect of the FAT and NTFS file systems - there's
    > nothing particulary elegant about the file system way of storing directory
    > entries. There's no index to make searches fast. Each directory is just a
    > list of files which needs to be searched from the start each time a file is
    > lokoed up.

    FFS nobody in their right mind uses a windows server to store mail in any
    volume.

    Not even Xtra.

    Steve, Jun 21, 2006
  13. SchoolTech

    MaHogany Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 08:53:04 +1200, SchoolTech wrote:

    > It seems likely the third option is what has happened since this
    > computer was hacked (I reinstalled Windows only a week ago) and not all
    > my Xtra accounts or aliases have been spammed.

    LOL!

    And you STILL prefer to use M$ Shitware!

    MaHogany

    MaHogany, Jun 22, 2006
  14. MaHogany wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 08:53:04 +1200, SchoolTech wrote:
    >
    > > It seems likely the third option is what has happened since this
    > > computer was hacked (I reinstalled Windows only a week ago) and not all
    > > my Xtra accounts or aliases have been spammed.

    > LOL!
    >
    > And you STILL prefer to use M$ Shitware!
    >

    > MaHogany
    >
    > --
    > 1/ Migration to Linux only costs money once. Higher Windows TCO is forever.
    > 2/ "Shared source" is a poison pill. Open Source is freedom.
    > 3/ Only the Windows boxes get the worms.

    SchoolTech... I think what MaHogany meant to tell you was to check out
    the following site... http://www.linux.net.nz/node/view/11

    It provides information pertaining to a Linux User Group full of
    friendly helpful people near you.

    :)

    HelensKi KlarK, Jun 22, 2006
  15. SchoolTech

    Vista Guest

    "Collector_NZ" <> wrote in message
    > SchoolTech wrote:
    >> Vista wrote:
    >>> "SchoolTech" <> wrote in message

    >>> Then why did your title the post xtra spamming? Very misleading title

    >> It's not at all misleading
    >> I only received spam on my Xtra accounts.
    >> I have accounts with other ISPs, but of all the different accounts I have
    >> only the Xtra ones had spam delivered to them.
    >>

    > Oh dear, each address is unique, so you cannot assume anything. Sure
    > somehow the xtra addresses got on a spam run, shit happens so get on with
    > life.
    > The minute you commit a email address to any place on the web then it is
    > probably it will be spammed.
    > Xtra are not spamming, they are only responsible for delivering mail, it
    > would be true to say xtra are spamming if the mail originated from them,
    > so yes you are misleading in your subject line unless the mail came from
    > them as opposed to just be delivered by them.

    I concurr with you. The subject line implies the Xtra are sending
    unsolicated emails, when infact it is the Xtra email address that is
    receiving the spam. All email address can receive spam and xtra don't have
    any control who sends you emails. They do have a spam filter but it isn't
    good.

    Vista, Jun 22, 2006