    Regards
    Miguel :)
    , Oct 11, 2006

  2. EMB Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi all...I've been looking at an aged friend's computer (he's 86 years
    > old and online everyday...amazing).
    >
    > For the last few weeks he's been getting a dozen or so spam mails a
    > day.
    >
    > He's with Xtra. Before I get into it I'm just wondering if anyone can
    > give me a heads-up on the state of xtra's
    > spamfilters....good/bad/non-existant/configurable

    A while ago Xtra introduced a paid spam filter product at which stage
    they seem to have made their free filtering useless so as to get
    customers to pay for the better filtering.

    I'd suggest either your friend subscribes to their better filtering,
    changes his email address or changes ISP.
    EMB, Oct 11, 2006

  3. Vista Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >> Hi all...I've been looking at an aged friend's computer (he's 86 years
    >> old and online everyday...amazing).
    >>
    >> For the last few weeks he's been getting a dozen or so spam mails a
    >> day.
    >>
    >> He's with Xtra. Before I get into it I'm just wondering if anyone can
    >> give me a heads-up on the state of xtra's
    >> spamfilters....good/bad/non-existant/configurable

    > A while ago Xtra introduced a paid spam filter product at which stage they
    > seem to have made their free filtering useless so as to get customers to
    > pay for the better filtering.
    >
    > I'd suggest either your friend subscribes to their better filtering,
    > changes his email address or changes ISP.

    I would agree. Xtras email system sucks, as does there non existant spam
    filter, and impossible to log onto new webmail system. They say that
    spammers are finding new ways to beat their filters, but I am using another
    ISP, and my ISP can catch most spam, which amounts to about 30 a day.

    I have setup Spam Fighter on my parents computer, which does a good job at
    removing spam.
    Vista, Oct 11, 2006
  4. EMB Guest

    Vista wrote:

    > I would agree. Xtras email system sucks, as does there non existant spam
    > filter, and impossible to log onto new webmail system. They say that
    > spammers are finding new ways to beat their filters, but I am using another
    > ISP, and my ISP can catch most spam, which amounts to about 30 a day.

    The spam filter stats for a Maxnet email account I look after are below.
    Over the month the stats relate to only 18 spams were missed which
    isn't too bad.

    Username Spam Detected % Spam Total email
    xxxxx 718 56.0 1283

    > I have setup Spam Fighter on my parents computer, which does a good job at
    > removing spam.

    Even the inbuilt spam detection in Thunderbird works quite well, and as
    much as it pains me to say it the spam engine in Outlook 2003 works very
    well indeed.
    EMB, Oct 11, 2006
  5. Mike Dee Guest

    On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 00:59:05 -0700, miguellint wrote:

    > Hi all...I've been looking at an aged friend's computer (he's 86 years
    > old and online everyday...amazing).

    I'd like to introduce him to my father-inlaw who's recently turned 80,
    also online each day and using a 10 year old Mac running OS 9

    > For the last few weeks he's been getting a dozen or so spam mails a
    > day.
    >
    > He's with Xtra. Before I get into it I'm just wondering if anyone can
    > give me a heads-up on the state of xtra's
    > spamfilters....good/bad/non-existant/configurable

    Don't know about Xtra, sorry.

    My inlaw uses Wamcom the final version of Mozilla to run on Mac OS 9 (no
    versions of Thunderbird or Firefox will run on a classic Mac OS)

    Anyway, Wamcom Mozilla has excellent spam filtering and can be configured
    to launch the email client only, first.

    http://wamcom.org/latest-131/
    file to DL on this page is called:
    wamcom-131-macos9-20030723.sit

    dictionaries for spell checker from: http://wamcom.org/spelldicts/

    > FWIW, he's running OE for MacIntosh under Mac OS 9 on a 10 year old Mac

    Good luck with his spam killing.

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Oct 12, 2006
  6. Who Am I Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Hi all...I've been looking at an aged friend's computer (he's 86 years
    > old and online everyday...amazing).
    >
    > For the last few weeks he's been getting a dozen or so spam mails a
    > day.
    >
    > He's with Xtra. Before I get into it I'm just wondering if anyone can
    > give me a heads-up on the state of xtra's
    > spamfilters....good/bad/non-existant/configurable
    >
    > FWIW, he's running OE for MacIntosh under Mac OS 9 on a 10 year old Mac
    >

    > Regards
    > Miguel :)

    Gone on the web page
    http://xtramail.xtra.co.nz

    Log in, you can configure the spam filter to
    a) Send the spam to you
    b) Put it in a different folder
    c) Delete it

    HOWEVER, I first check all of my mail that way, I have found it is LESS
    bandwidth to select the spam from their webmail system then hit the
    button "Report as Spam". THEN I use my email client to download the
    useful stuff to my machine.
    Who Am I, Oct 12, 2006
  7. Ralph Fox Guest

    On 11 Oct 2006 00:59:05 -0700, in message <>,
    wrote:

    > Hi all...I've been looking at an aged friend's computer (he's 86 years
    > old and online everyday...amazing).
    >
    > For the last few weeks he's been getting a dozen or so spam mails a
    > day.
    >
    > He's with Xtra. Before I get into it I'm just wondering if anyone can
    > give me a heads-up on the state of xtra's
    > spamfilters....good/bad/non-existant/configurable

    Xtra's spam filters catch on average around 90-95% of my spam,
    but this varies as spammers try new tricks to dodge spam filters
    and Xtra's "Brightmail" spam filtering has to catch up.

    Configuration choices are
    1. Add "[SPAM]" to the subject line (so email client can filter);
    3. Place in "Spam" folder which user can access through Xtra webmail.

    Ralph Fox, Oct 12, 2006
  8. Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 10:05:54 +0000, in message <>,
    Ralph Fox wrote:

    > Xtra's spam filters catch on average around 90-95% of my spam,
    > but this varies as spammers try new tricks to dodge spam filters
    > and Xtra's "Brightmail" spam filtering has to catch up.

    Correction -- Xtra are now catching only 75% of my spam,
    and they seem a little slow at catching up to where they
    used to be.

    Most of the stuff getting through is spamming stocks, using
    images for the spam message.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph