    geopelia Guest

    Are the problems xtra had last night anywhere near being fixed? I don't want
    to have to keep phoning them.

    geopelia, Feb 18, 2006

  2. On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 13:59:14 +1300, geopelia wrote:

    > Are the problems xtra had last night anywhere near being fixed? I don't
    > want to have to keep phoning them.

    What problems are these?

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Buffer-overflow vulnerabilities are simply programming errors; they occur when
    coders fail to deploy proper memory-management techniques.

    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 18, 2006

  3. geopelia

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <yguJf.150969$>,
    "geopelia" <> wrote:

    > Are the problems xtra had last night anywhere near being fixed? I don't want
    > to have to keep phoning them.

    Which ones...

    Crap spam filtering
    Crap bandwidth
    Crap connection
    Crap help desk team

    whoisthis, Feb 18, 2006
  4. whoisthis wrote:

    > In article <yguJf.150969$>,
    > "geopelia" <> wrote:

    > > Are the problems xtra had last night anywhere near being fixed? I don't want
    > > to have to keep phoning them.

    > Which ones...
    > Crap spam filtering
    > Crap bandwidth
    > Crap connection
    > Crap help desk team

    Don't forget their policy of blocking access to their POP server when
    their users are accessing the Internet through an alternative provider.
    Totally stupid.

    alastair.geek.nz, Feb 18, 2006
  5. geopelia

    Ross Dawson Guest

    On 17 Feb 2006 20:31:47 -0800, "alastair.geek.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >whoisthis wrote:
    >
    >> In article <yguJf.150969$>,
    >> "geopelia" <> wrote:

    >> > Are the problems xtra had last night anywhere near being fixed? I don't want
    >> > to have to keep phoning them.

    >> Which ones...
    >> Crap spam filtering
    >> Crap bandwidth
    >> Crap connection
    >> Crap help desk team

    >Don't forget their policy of blocking access to their POP server when
    >their users are accessing the Internet through an alternative provider.
    > Totally stupid.

    I can't access their news server from another provider either, and yes
    I do have an account with them.

    --
    Cheers for now

    Ross Dawson.

    Ross Dawson, Feb 18, 2006
  6. T'was the Sat, 18 Feb 2006 18:24:55 +1300 when I remembered Ross
    Dawson <> saying something like this:

    >I can't access their news server from another provider either, and yes
    >I do have an account with them.

    I believe that's a common practice.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Feb 18, 2006
  7. geopelia

    Ross Dawson Guest

    On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 19:10:54 +1300, Waylon Kenning
    <> wrote:

    >T'was the Sat, 18 Feb 2006 18:24:55 +1300 when I remembered Ross
    >Dawson <> saying something like this:
    >
    >>I can't access their news server from another provider either, and yes
    >>I do have an account with them.

    >I believe that's a common practice.

    It's a pity they can't authenticate via user name and password for
    their news servers, would make my life a little bit easier.

    --
    Cheers for now

    Ross Dawson.

    Ross Dawson, Feb 18, 2006
  8. geopelia

    jedmeister Guest

    "Waylon Kenning" <> wrote in message
    > T'was the Sat, 18 Feb 2006 18:24:55 +1300 when I remembered Ross
    > Dawson <> saying something like this:
    >
    >>I can't access their news server from another provider either, and yes
    >>I do have an account with them.

    > I believe that's a common practice.
    > --
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Waylon Kenning.
    > See my blog at http://spaces.msn.com/WaylonKenning/

    it would have cost them more to block the service than to just let the
    network allow all access.

    jedmeister, Feb 18, 2006
  9. geopelia

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > whoisthis wrote:
    >
    > > In article <yguJf.150969$>,
    > > "geopelia" <> wrote:

    > > > Are the problems xtra had last night anywhere near being fixed? I don't want
    > > > to have to keep phoning them.

    > > Which ones...
    > > Crap spam filtering
    > > Crap bandwidth
    > > Crap connection
    > > Crap help desk team

    > Don't forget their policy of blocking access to their POP server when
    > their users are accessing the Internet through an alternative provider.
    > Totally stupid.

    There's nothing stupid about it. It means they don't end up with people
    who are on say a $5/month dialup account sending unlimited data through
    an Xtra email account without contributing to the true cost of providing
    the service.

    And you can have an unblocked POP server for an extra $2.50 per month.

    Rob J, Feb 18, 2006
  10. geopelia

    Shane Guest

    On 2006-02-18, jedmeister <> wrote:

    > "Waylon Kenning" <> wrote in message
    >> T'was the Sat, 18 Feb 2006 18:24:55 +1300 when I remembered Ross
    >> Dawson <> saying something like this:
    >>
    >>>I can't access their news server from another provider either, and yes
    >>>I do have an account with them.

    >> I believe that's a common practice.
    >> --
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Waylon Kenning.
    >> See my blog at http://spaces.msn.com/WaylonKenning/

    > it would have cost them more to block the service than to just let the
    > network allow all access.

    er... it would be a hell of a lot easier (and this has been discussed in
    another thread recently) to have a list of ip blocks allowed, and any other
    denied, rather than implement an authentication on their server
    (which is twister IIRC)
    Not only that but a savings on traffic they would be paying for
    (ie on other Peoples Networks)

    Shane, Feb 18, 2006
  11. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > whoisthis wrote:

    don't want

    > > > Which ones...
    > > > Crap spam filtering
    > > > Crap bandwidth
    > > > Crap connection
    > > > Crap help desk team

    The help desk people have been very kind to me, explaining the technical
    stuff I don't understand yet. I was surprised this time by how quickly they
    answered. A few months ago it could take 15 minutes or so.
    One problem though is that they give me a reference number, but if their
    solution doesn't work it takes a while to get back to them, and then it is
    usually not the same person who answers. I had to try four times last night,
    which took up a lot of time.
    Apparently it was a problem with the phones in this district and they got a
    lot of calls about it.

    I told them I was getting a lot of spam now, that is due to a lot more being
    sent lately. They are working on it. I suppose we are all getting that
    annoying dating service several times a day. Unfortunately they are only
    offering girls, no good to me!

    Geopelia

    geopelia, Feb 18, 2006
  12. geopelia

    bambam Guest

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:40:10 +1300, geopelia wrote:

    > I told them I was getting a lot of spam now, that is due to a lot more being
    > sent lately. They are working on it. I suppose we are all getting that
    > annoying dating service several times a day. Unfortunately they are only
    > offering girls, no good to me!

    No we aren't all getting this spam. Your email address in your headers is
    not real is it?
    I have had an account with xtra for 12 months, never had any spam.

    bambam, Feb 18, 2006
  13. geopelia

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    "alastair.geek.nz" <> wrote:

    > whoisthis wrote:
    >
    > > In article <yguJf.150969$>,
    > > "geopelia" <> wrote:

    > > > Are the problems xtra had last night anywhere near being fixed? I don't
    > > > want
    > > > to have to keep phoning them.

    > > Which ones...
    > > Crap spam filtering
    > > Crap bandwidth
    > > Crap connection
    > > Crap help desk team

    > Don't forget their policy of blocking access to their POP server when
    > their users are accessing the Internet through an alternative provider.
    > Totally stupid.

    Thats why I have a gmail account.

    Its also nice to know when the new plans come out and I shift to another
    ISP my mail will not get lost. The reason I do not change now is that I
    am one of the fortunate ones who have a 192K upload speed and I don't
    want to shift to a 128k link. So when the 512k uploads are available
    then I will have no reason to stay with xtra.

    I will seriously look at shifting everything, phone, tolls, internet to
    clear and abandon telecom al together.

    whoisthis, Feb 18, 2006
  14. geopelia

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <_WDJf.151085$>,
    "geopelia" <> wrote:

    > I told them I was getting a lot of spam now, that is due to a lot more being
    > sent lately. They are working on it. I suppose we are all getting that
    > annoying dating service several times a day. Unfortunately they are only
    > offering girls, no good to me!
    >
    > Geopelia

    BULLSHIT, I have multiple email accounts for home, work, etc. In the
    other email accounts I have seen a reduction in the amount of spamm
    getting through.

    Last year I had 2-4 a week get through their filter, now I get up to 20
    a day, ie a 3000% plus increase in spam.

    By keeping the spam I have been able to do a comparison, Xtra are now
    only blocking about 50% of the spam. If their filters were working
    correctly I would still see a 90-100% blocking of spam.

    The total amount of spam cmming into my Xtra account has NOT gone up,
    only the amount that the filters let through has gone up.

    Personally I am hoping that Telecom gets regulated and we end up with
    even better internet plans. I do not believe that any company who
    operates in a truly competitive environment can offer a 90% reduction in
    price, which is exactly what they have done for business users. Telecom
    has ripped us off for too long.

    Another example of this is that their true costs per subscriber have
    been dropping. Technology has allowed them to replace an exchange with
    on that does twice the number of subscribers for the same cost that the
    old one did 3 years ago. Fiber optics are more reliable and are able to
    route more calls than copper can.

    Telecom have been putting up line rentals to protect profits as
    competition has eaten into the profits they used to make in tolls and
    cellphones.

    If telecom was truly as competitive as they try to make out then they
    would have been able to compete in Australia, where as they have made a
    complete **** up of it and have lost hundreds of millions. THAT is the
    reason they keep fighting to maintain their monopoly status in NZ, if
    there was actually competition then they would fail here too, even
    incompetent management can make a profit in a monopoly situation.

    If Theresa Gattung was really worth the 1-2 million dollars a year
    because she was such a good CEO then she would have been able to make
    money in Aussie too. Any idiot can make telecom profitable in the
    current nz climate.

    whoisthis, Feb 18, 2006
  15. geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    whoisthis wrote:
    > Personally I am hoping that Telecom gets regulated and we end up with
    > even better internet plans. I do not believe that any company who
    > operates in a truly competitive environment can offer a 90% reduction
    > in price, which is exactly what they have done for business users.
    > Telecom has ripped us off for too long.
    >
    > Another example of this is that their true costs per subscriber have
    > been dropping. Technology has allowed them to replace an exchange with
    > on that does twice the number of subscribers for the same cost that
    > the old one did 3 years ago. Fiber optics are more reliable and are
    > able to route more calls than copper can.
    >
    > Telecom have been putting up line rentals to protect profits as
    > competition has eaten into the profits they used to make in tolls and
    > cellphones.
    >
    > If telecom was truly as competitive as they try to make out then they
    > would have been able to compete in Australia, where as they have made
    > a complete **** up of it and have lost hundreds of millions. THAT is
    > the reason they keep fighting to maintain their monopoly status in
    > NZ, if there was actually competition then they would fail here too,
    > even incompetent management can make a profit in a monopoly situation.
    >
    > If Theresa Gattung was really worth the 1-2 million dollars a year
    > because she was such a good CEO then she would have been able to make
    > money in Aussie too. Any idiot can make telecom profitable in the
    > current nz climate.

    Hear hear!
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 18, 2006
  16. whoisthis wrote:

    > In article <_WDJf.151085$>,
    > "geopelia" <> wrote:

    > > I told them I was getting a lot of spam now, that is due to a lot more being
    > > sent lately. They are working on it. I suppose we are all getting that
    > > annoying dating service several times a day. Unfortunately they are only
    > > offering girls, no good to me!

    > BULLSHIT, I have multiple email accounts for home, work, etc. In the
    > other email accounts I have seen a reduction in the amount of spamm
    > getting through.
    >
    > Last year I had 2-4 a week get through their filter, now I get up to 20
    > a day, ie a 3000% plus increase in spam.
    >
    > By keeping the spam I have been able to do a comparison, Xtra are now
    > only blocking about 50% of the spam. If their filters were working
    > correctly I would still see a 90-100% blocking of spam.

    The total number of spam messages that get through their filters is not
    the important issue. What you should be looking at is the ratio between
    the number of spams trapped in their filters, and the number of genuine
    emails trapped in their filters.

    For example, a filter which traps 50% of real spam and misidentifies 0%
    of genuine mail may be preferrable to a filter which traps 90% of real
    spam and misidentifies 5% of genuine mail. Automated spam filters will
    never be a totally accurate, so there has to be a balancing act to
    determine how aggressive the filters should be.

    alastair.geek.nz, Feb 19, 2006
  17. geopelia

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    "alastair.geek.nz" <> wrote:

    > whoisthis wrote:
    >
    > > In article <_WDJf.151085$>,
    > > "geopelia" <> wrote:

    > > > I told them I was getting a lot of spam now, that is due to a lot more
    > > > being
    > > > sent lately. They are working on it. I suppose we are all getting that
    > > > annoying dating service several times a day. Unfortunately they are only
    > > > offering girls, no good to me!

    > > BULLSHIT, I have multiple email accounts for home, work, etc. In the
    > > other email accounts I have seen a reduction in the amount of spamm
    > > getting through.
    > >
    > > Last year I had 2-4 a week get through their filter, now I get up to 20
    > > a day, ie a 3000% plus increase in spam.
    > >
    > > By keeping the spam I have been able to do a comparison, Xtra are now
    > > only blocking about 50% of the spam. If their filters were working
    > > correctly I would still see a 90-100% blocking of spam.

    > The total number of spam messages that get through their filters is not
    > the important issue. What you should be looking at is the ratio between
    > the number of spams trapped in their filters, and the number of genuine
    > emails trapped in their filters.
    >
    > For example, a filter which traps 50% of real spam and misidentifies 0%
    > of genuine mail may be preferrable to a filter which traps 90% of real
    > spam and misidentifies 5% of genuine mail. Automated spam filters will
    > never be a totally accurate, so there has to be a balancing act to
    > determine how aggressive the filters should be.

    The one at work is a better solution, it filters severely, however it
    then has a white list to filter stuff back in. ALL spam is held for 28
    days and there is a web form to check if you think something has been
    lost, you can then with one click add them to the white list.

    whoisthis, Feb 19, 2006
  18. geopelia

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>, mer
    says...
    > In article <_WDJf.151085$>,
    > "geopelia" <> wrote:
    >

    > > I told them I was getting a lot of spam now, that is due to a lot more being
    > > sent lately. They are working on it. I suppose we are all getting that
    > > annoying dating service several times a day. Unfortunately they are only
    > > offering girls, no good to me!
    > >
    > > Geopelia

    > BULLSHIT, I have multiple email accounts for home, work, etc. In the
    > other email accounts I have seen a reduction in the amount of spamm
    > getting through.
    >
    > Last year I had 2-4 a week get through their filter, now I get up to 20
    > a day, ie a 3000% plus increase in spam.
    >
    > By keeping the spam I have been able to do a comparison, Xtra are now
    > only blocking about 50% of the spam. If their filters were working
    > correctly I would still see a 90-100% blocking of spam.
    >
    > The total amount of spam cmming into my Xtra account has NOT gone up,
    > only the amount that the filters let through has gone up.
    >
    > Personally I am hoping that Telecom gets regulated and we end up with
    > even better internet plans. I do not believe that any company who
    > operates in a truly competitive environment can offer a 90% reduction in
    > price, which is exactly what they have done for business users. Telecom
    > has ripped us off for too long.
    >
    > Another example of this is that their true costs per subscriber have
    > been dropping. Technology has allowed them to replace an exchange with
    > on that does twice the number of subscribers for the same cost that the
    > old one did 3 years ago. Fiber optics are more reliable and are able to
    > route more calls than copper can.
    >
    > Telecom have been putting up line rentals to protect profits

    Oh really? By the rate of inflation, which isn't going to produce any
    real profit increase as such.

    > If telecom was truly as competitive as they try to make out then they
    > would have been able to compete in Australia, where as they have made a
    > complete **** up of it and have lost hundreds of millions. THAT is the
    > reason they keep fighting to maintain their monopoly status in NZ, if
    > there was actually competition then they would fail here too, even
    > incompetent management can make a profit in a monopoly situation.

    Well actually, the situation in Australia is very different. There,
    Telstra is the incumbent with market dominance.

    Rob J, Mar 1, 2006