    Trying to access my email through pop3.xtra.co.nz from Australia and it's
    not working. Is it possible to work around this?

    I am using xtramail.co.nz in the meantime but I need to use Outlook...
    Simon, Oct 27, 2004

  2. Simon

    Geronimo Guest

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 00:53:38 +1000, "Simon" <simon yeah dot com> wrote:

    >Trying to access my email through pop3.xtra.co.nz from Australia and it's
    >not working. Is it possible to work around this?
    >
    >I am using xtramail.co.nz in the meantime but I need to use Outlook...

    No Set up a Hotmail Account as that is what they are mente for.
    Geronimo, Oct 27, 2004

  3. Simon

    EMB Guest

    Geronimo wrote:

    > No Set up a Hotmail Account as that is what they are mente for.

    Not any more - you can't pop a hotmail account unless you pay to upgrade
    it to premium.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Oct 27, 2004
  4. Simon

    The Hobbit Guest

    "Simon" <simon yeah dot com> wrote in message
    > Trying to access my email through pop3.xtra.co.nz from Australia and it's
    > not working. Is it possible to work around this?

    I thought you could POP but not use the SMTP servers... (used to be like
    that anyway)
    You'll need to set your Xtra account to use iPass and dial/connect via an
    iPass partner to access their servers - I was doing this a couple of
    weekends ago in Melborne, worked for me :)
    Check out : http://www.xtra.co.nz/products/0,,5955,00.html
    The Hobbit, Oct 27, 2004
  5. Simon

    Chris Hope Guest

    Geronimo wrote:

    > On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 00:53:38 +1000, "Simon" <simon yeah dot com> wrote:
    >
    >>Trying to access my email through pop3.xtra.co.nz from Australia and it's
    >>not working. Is it possible to work around this?
    >>
    >>I am using xtramail.co.nz in the meantime but I need to use Outlook...

    > No Set up a Hotmail Account as that is what they are mente for.

    Why bother? There's a webmail interface to Xtra pop accounts, as the OP
    posted, at xtramail.co.nz - no need to get people to email you at another
    address if you can use the same that you normally use.

    Chris Hope, Oct 27, 2004
  6. Simon

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    The Hobbit wrote:
    > "Simon" <simon yeah dot com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Trying to access my email through pop3.xtra.co.nz from Australia and it's
    >>not working. Is it possible to work around this?

    > I thought you could POP but not use the SMTP servers... (used to be like
    > that anyway)
    > You'll need to set your Xtra account to use iPass and dial/connect via an
    > iPass partner to access their servers - I was doing this a couple of
    > weekends ago in Melborne, worked for me :)
    > Check out : http://www.xtra.co.nz/products/0,,5955,00.html

    The above would be the better way, but you could go into the webmail
    interface and FWD the mail to a mailbox that you can pop. If the OP is
    using Vodafone (mobile data) to collect their mail, I think FWD might be
    the only way, other than dialing up over their mobile.

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 27, 2004
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 27, 2004
  8. The Hobbit wrote:
    >>Trying to access my email through pop3.xtra.co.nz from Australia and it's
    >>not working. Is it possible to work around this?

    > I thought you could POP but not use the SMTP servers... (used to be like
    > that anyway)

    nope, you cant do either from outside their network now.

    > You'll need to set your Xtra account to use iPass and dial/connect via an
    > iPass partner to access their servers - I was doing this a couple of
    > weekends ago in Melborne, worked for me :)
    > Check out : http://www.xtra.co.nz/products/0,,5955,00.html

    wow, someone actually uses that... eek, expensive.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 27, 2004
  9. Simon

    EMB Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > nope, they block it.

    If you know someone with an xtra JS account get them to set up a proxy
    and connect through that.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Oct 27, 2004
  10. EMB wrote:
    >> nope, they block it.

    > If you know someone with an xtra JS account get them to set up a proxy
    > and connect through that.

    heh, post the IP here so that we can all use it if need be ;)

    /kidding of course.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 27, 2004
  11. Simon

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Simon said the following on 28/10/2004 03:53:
    > Trying to access my email through pop3.xtra.co.nz from Australia and it's
    > not working. Is it possible to work around this?
    >
    > I am using xtramail.co.nz in the meantime but I need to use Outlook...

    Xtra keep promising a better POP process from outside their network, it
    never happens and the system they do provide IPASS is a bigger piece of
    shit than Halfwit Harrys posts.

    For an associate who travels to the states often, I set up an Orcon Free
    for Life email account, set xtra to froward to that and he poped it via
    Wifi connections in the states. The only issue is SMTP for sending you
    must set it up to authenticate or you cant send.

    --
    He was so narrow-minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.
    Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E | |
    Collector_NZ, Oct 27, 2004
  12. Simon

    The Hobbit Guest

    > The Hobbit wrote:

    <Snip>
    > > You'll need to set your Xtra account to use iPass and dial/connect via

    an
    > > iPass partner to access their servers - I was doing this a couple of
    > > weekends ago in Melborne, worked for me :)
    > > Check out : http://www.xtra.co.nz/products/0,,5955,00.html

    > wow, someone actually uses that... eek, expensive.

    Yeah well, it's a price my firm is willing to pay to make sure they can
    still contact me overseas - their money :)
    The Hobbit, Oct 27, 2004
  13. Simon

    The Hobbit Guest

    "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    > Geronimo wrote:
    >
    > > On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 00:53:38 +1000, "Simon" <simon yeah dot com> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Trying to access my email through pop3.xtra.co.nz from Australia and

    it's
    > >>not working. Is it possible to work around this?
    > >>
    > >>I am using xtramail.co.nz in the meantime but I need to use Outlook...

    > > No Set up a Hotmail Account as that is what they are mente for.

    > Why bother? There's a webmail interface to Xtra pop accounts, as the OP
    > posted, at xtramail.co.nz - no need to get people to email you at another
    > address if you can use the same that you normally use.

    Overseas, it does (IME) pay to be able to POP your stuff to a local source
    so you can read and respond offline - connectivity isn't always avalible (or
    quick).
    The Hobbit, Oct 27, 2004
  14. Simon

    Chris Hope Guest

    The Hobbit wrote:

    > "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    >> Geronimo wrote:

    > it's

    >> > No Set up a Hotmail Account as that is what they are mente for.

    >> Why bother? There's a webmail interface to Xtra pop accounts, as the OP
    >> posted, at xtramail.co.nz - no need to get people to email you at another
    >> address if you can use the same that you normally use.

    > Overseas, it does (IME) pay to be able to POP your stuff to a local source
    > so you can read and respond offline - connectivity isn't always avalible
    > (or quick).

    True, but if woger is going to suggest Hotmail it's no different than using
    Xtramail.

    Chris Hope, Oct 27, 2004
  15. The Hobbit wrote:
    >>>iPass partner to access their servers - I was doing this a couple of
    >>>weekends ago in Melborne, worked for me :)
    >>> Check out : http://www.xtra.co.nz/products/0,,5955,00.html

    >>wow, someone actually uses that... eek, expensive.

    > Yeah well, it's a price my firm is willing to pay to make sure they can
    > still contact me overseas - their money :)

    true, got to love firms not restricted by cash.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 27, 2004
  16. Simon

    Harry Guest

    How is the targeting of Harry Phillips at tux.com.au going?
    Harry, Oct 28, 2004
  17. Simon

    Harry Guest

    "Simon" <simon yeah dot com> wrote:

    > Trying to access my email through pop3.xtra.co.nz from Australia and it's
    > not working. Is it possible to work around this?
    >
    > I am using xtramail.co.nz in the meantime but I need to use Outlook...

    Just use Xtras web interface.
    And while in Australia use your local ISPs email address
    for the bulk of your email.
    Most Australian ISPs allow external pop access so you will
    be able to easily followup your email when back in NZ.
    Harry, Oct 28, 2004
  18. Simon

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Harry said the following on 28/10/2004 13:07:
    > Collector_NZ wrote:
    >

    >>Simon said the following on 28/10/2004 03:53:
    >>
    >>>Trying to access my email through pop3.xtra.co.nz from Australia and it's
    >>>not working. Is it possible to work around this?
    >>>
    >>>I am using xtramail.co.nz in the meantime but I need to use Outlook...
    >>>

    >>Xtra keep promising a better POP process from outside their network, it
    >>never happens and the system they do provide IPASS is a bigger piece of
    >>shit than Halfwit Harrys posts.

    > How is the targeting of Harry Phillips at tux.com.au going?

    Like a good little dogie coming when your your name is called LMFAO

    Collector_NZ, Oct 28, 2004
  19. Simon

    Harry Guest

    Collector_NZ wrote:

    > Harry said the following on 28/10/2004 13:07:
    >> Collector_NZ wrote:

    >>>Xtra keep promising a better POP process from outside their network, it
    >>>never happens and the system they do provide IPASS is a bigger piece of
    >>>shit than Halfwit Harrys posts.

    >> How is the targeting of Harry Phillips at tux.com.au going?
    >>

    > Like a good little dogie coming when your your name is called LMFAO
    > --
    > He was so narrow-minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

    Ironic that you sign with a quote about narrow-mindedness.
    How narrow-minded is a person who continually harangues anybody
    with the name Harry?
    Harry, Oct 28, 2004
  20. Simon

    Howard Guest

    "Simon" <simon yeah dot com> wrote in message news:<417fb60d$0$32599$>...
    > Trying to access my email through pop3.xtra.co.nz from Australia and it's
    > not working. Is it possible to work around this?
    >
    > I am using xtramail.co.nz in the meantime but I need to use Outlook...

    Here's how to do what you want...

    Setup up a free email account at orcon.net.nz
    http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/email/free/

    Forward all your xtra email to your orcon address
    Xtramail | Options | Rules | Forwarding Addresses

    and then use Outlook to pop it from pop3.orcon.net.nz

    As well as allowing you to pop you mail, this also allows you to get
    your Xtramail mail quicker as it avoids Xtra's virus and spam scanners
    which frequently delay Xtra's email for days at time.

    And it can all be arranged on the net from wherever you are in Aussie.

    Have a happy trip.

    HTH
    -H
    Howard, Oct 28, 2004