    Mine just restarted as I was about to phone them (1:53pm Wed)

    Cheers
    Paul

    PC, Jul 14, 2004

  2. PC

    Rider Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message
    news:fn0Jc.2$...
    > Hi all
    >
    > Any body else had problems with xtra.news since last night?
    > Mine just restarted as I was about to phone them (1:53pm Wed)

    They're obviously watching you LoL

    Rider, Jul 14, 2004

  3. PC

    colinco Guest

    In article <fn0Jc.2$>, says...
    > Hi all
    >
    > Any body else had problems with xtra.news since last night?
    > Mine just restarted as I was about to phone them (1:53pm Wed)
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul

    It only took them until about 12.30pm Wed to believe that it was their
    problem :-(

    colinco, Jul 14, 2004
  4. PC

    Nik Coughin Guest

    PC wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > Any body else had problems with xtra.news since last night?
    > Mine just restarted as I was about to phone them (1:53pm Wed)
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul

    Yeah they kept telling me that the problem was at my end.

    Nik Coughin, Jul 14, 2004
  5. PC

    ~misfit~ Guest

    colinco wrote:
    > In article <fn0Jc.2$>, says...
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> Any body else had problems with xtra.news since last night?
    >> Mine just restarted as I was about to phone them (1:53pm Wed)
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Paul
    >>

    > It only took them until about 12.30pm Wed to believe that it was their
    > problem :-(

    I stayed on the phone with them for about a half-hour pre-noon (cellphone -
    0800 number) then was told to keep checking every so often, it should be all
    right by this evening. I've only just checked. <g> I also sent off an email
    to newsadmin xtra.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 14, 2004
  6. PC

    Gurble Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:54:37 +1200, "PC" <> wrote:

    >Hi all
    >
    >Any body else had problems with xtra.news since last night?
    >Mine just restarted as I was about to phone them (1:53pm Wed)
    >
    >Cheers
    >Paul

    Yep.

    Usual story - their "help" desk said that the problem was at my end,
    even though it worked fine through another ISP, stopped working on two
    PCs in two completely different locations on different Xtra accounts,
    and no settings etc had been changed.

    Par for the course on Xtra...

    Honestly, I would change in a second, if only I could be bothered
    going through the hassle...

    Gurble, Jul 14, 2004
  7. PC

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Gurble wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:54:37 +1200, "PC" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> Any body else had problems with xtra.news since last night?
    >> Mine just restarted as I was about to phone them (1:53pm Wed)
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Paul
    >>

    > Yep.
    >
    > Usual story - their "help" desk said that the problem was at my end,
    > even though it worked fine through another ISP, stopped working on two
    > PCs in two completely different locations on different Xtra accounts,
    > and no settings etc had been changed.
    >
    > Par for the course on Xtra...
    >
    > Honestly, I would change in a second, if only I could be bothered
    > going through the hassle...

    At least I didn't allow them to tell me the trouble was at my end. They've
    done that to me one too many times and made me re-download the whole of
    nz.comp headers. (Amongst others) Do you know how long their retention time
    is on nz.comp? Something like six months. I told them I wasn't going to
    delete the news server and re-load it, that wasn't the problem.

    Actually the guy on the help-desk said he's into usenet and would really
    like to help people set it up etc. but they're only allowed to give out the
    name of the server and that's it. Even telling people how to set up OE to
    get the NG list is considered to be no-go at Xtra apparently.

    I told him he can tell his superiors I'm just waiting on Wired Country to
    come and install a dish and they can ram it where the sun don't shine. Along
    with their land-line. He laughed and said "Fair enough". I told him I'd been
    paying Telecom since about 1980 and Xtra since about 1997 and I'd had enough
    of being bled white for sub-par service.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 14, 2004
  8. PC

    colinco Guest

    In article <vEaJc.294$>, misfit61nz@yahoo-
    mung.co.nz says...
    > Actually the guy on the help-desk said he's into usenet and would really
    > like to help people set it up etc. but they're only allowed to give out the
    > name of the server and that's it. Even telling people how to set up OE to
    > get the NG list is considered to be no-go at Xtra apparently.
    >
    > I told him he can tell his superiors I'm just waiting on Wired Country to
    > come and install a dish and they can ram it where the sun don't shine. Along
    > with their land-line. He laughed and said "Fair enough". I told him I'd been
    > paying Telecom since about 1980 and Xtra since about 1997 and I'd had enough
    > of being bled white for sub-par service.

    He's working for a contract call center.If the Xtra workload eventually
    dropped, he could always transfer to something like IRD calls :)

    colinco, Jul 14, 2004
  9. PC

    Harry Guest

    Gurble wrote:

    > On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:54:37 +1200, "PC" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all
    >>
    >>Any body else had problems with xtra.news since last night?
    >>Mine just restarted as I was about to phone them (1:53pm Wed)
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>Paul
    >>

    > Yep.
    >
    > Usual story - their "help" desk said that the problem was at my end,
    > even though it worked fine through another ISP, stopped working on two
    > PCs in two completely different locations on different Xtra accounts,
    > and no settings etc had been changed.
    >
    > Par for the course on Xtra...
    >
    > Honestly, I would change in a second, if only I could be bothered
    > going through the hassle...

    I phoned the help desk and they took down the details I provided
    and said they would pass it on to their technical people.
    There was never any suggestion by them that the problem was at my end.
    Sounds fairly reasonable to me.

    Harry, Jul 14, 2004