xtra msg - mail not sent

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jack Spratt, Jul 11, 2009.

  1. Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt Guest

    Anyone else getting these emails (pasted below)?
    All mail I send (email client or web mail) is reaching it's destination and
    the POP and alias I use is listed under the options in their web mail
    settings.
    I can only assume they are responding to spam that is attempting to spoof my
    email address in which case they are only adding to the problem/traffic.
    Unless anyone else knows of another explanation?

    +++

    Dear Customer,



    Our email security has been upgraded to help prevent misuse of email
    addresses.



    This upgrade will help guard against having email addresses used by
    unauthorised parties, i.e. when an email appears to come from one source
    but actually comes from another (also known as "spoofing").



    You have received this message because you have recently attempted to send
    an email through Yahoo!Xtra Pro Mail from an address that does not match
    email addresses currently linked to your account.



    Due to changes made during the security upgrade, your email has been blocked
    and therefore not sent.


    Action required to ensure you can send email

    To ensure you are able to send emails from this address we need you to add
    the email address to your YahooXtra Pro Mail Account. Once this is completed
    you will be able to send email from these addresses again.



    How to verify your email address

    Simply follow the step-by-step instructions here:
    http://www.telecom.co.nz/error553



    These instructions will show you how to add additional email addresses to
    your email account using Yahoo!Xtra Pro Mail via webmail. Please note it
    will take approximately five minutes to verify each of the email addresses
    you send emails from. This only needs to be done once to send email again
    from that address.
     
    Jack Spratt, Jul 11, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Jack Spratt

    David Empson Guest

    Jack Spratt <> wrote:

    > Anyone else getting these emails (pasted below)?


    Some of my clients have seen the same message or a very similar one when
    they actually were sending messages with the wrong "From" address (and
    the messages they sent were not getting to the destination).

    > All mail I send (email client or web mail) is reaching it's destination and
    > the POP and alias I use is listed under the options in their web mail
    > settings.
    > I can only assume they are responding to spam that is attempting to spoof my
    > email address in which case they are only adding to the problem/traffic.


    If you have your own domain name hosted by Yahoo/Xtra then that is a
    very likely explanation.

    > Unless anyone else knows of another explanation?


    Could also be someone else mimicking the legitimate error messages that
    Yahoo sends, in a phishing attempt. Is the link really pointing at
    Telecom?

    Alternatively, Yahoo has stuffed up and is sending bogus error messages.

    > +++
    >
    > Dear Customer,
    >
    > Our email security has been upgraded to help prevent misuse of email
    > addresses.
    >
    > This upgrade will help guard against having email addresses used by
    > unauthorised parties, i.e. when an email appears to come from one source
    > but actually comes from another (also known as "spoofing").
    >
    > You have received this message because you have recently attempted to send
    > an email through Yahoo!Xtra Pro Mail from an address that does not match
    > email addresses currently linked to your account.
    >
    > Due to changes made during the security upgrade, your email has been blocked
    > and therefore not sent.
    >
    > Action required to ensure you can send email
    >
    > To ensure you are able to send emails from this address we need you to add
    > the email address to your YahooXtra Pro Mail Account. Once this is completed
    > you will be able to send email from these addresses again.
    >
    > How to verify your email address
    >
    > Simply follow the step-by-step instructions here:
    > http://www.telecom.co.nz/error553
    >
    > These instructions will show you how to add additional email addresses to
    > your email account using Yahoo!Xtra Pro Mail via webmail. Please note it
    > will take approximately five minutes to verify each of the email addresses
    > you send emails from. This only needs to be done once to send email again
    > from that address.



    --
    David Empson
     
    David Empson, Jul 12, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Jack Spratt

    bugalugs Guest

    Jack Spratt wrote:
    > Anyone else getting these emails (pasted below)?
    > All mail I send (email client or web mail) is reaching it's destination
    > and the POP and alias I use is listed under the options in their web
    > mail settings.
    > I can only assume they are responding to spam that is attempting to
    > spoof my email address in which case they are only adding to the
    > problem/traffic.
    > Unless anyone else knows of another explanation?
    >
    > +++
    >
    > Dear Customer,
    >
    >
    >
    > Our email security has been upgraded to help prevent misuse of email
    > addresses.
    >
    >
    >
    > This upgrade will help guard against having email addresses used by
    > unauthorised parties, i.e. when an email appears to come from one
    > source but actually comes from another (also known as "spoofing").
    >
    >
    >
    > You have received this message because you have recently attempted to
    > send an email through Yahoo!Xtra Pro Mail from an address that does not
    > match email addresses currently linked to your account.
    >
    >
    >
    > Due to changes made during the security upgrade, your email has been
    > blocked and therefore not sent.
    >
    >
    > Action required to ensure you can send email
    >
    > To ensure you are able to send emails from this address we need you to
    > add the email address to your YahooXtra Pro Mail Account. Once this is
    > completed you will be able to send email from these addresses again.
    >
    >
    >
    > How to verify your email address
    >
    > Simply follow the step-by-step instructions here:
    > http://www.telecom.co.nz/error553
    >
    >
    >
    > These instructions will show you how to add additional email addresses
    > to your email account using Yahoo!Xtra Pro Mail via webmail. Please note
    > it will take approximately five minutes to verify each of the email
    > addresses you send emails from. This only needs to be done once to send
    > email again from that address.
    >
    >


    I have seen it a couple of times. Usually when I have created an email
    while reading in newsgroups using my bugalugs account and I have changed
    the address from 'Newsgroups' to 'To' and an address from my Personal
    Address Book. Correction is simply a matter of changing the Sender to
    the appropriate one for that Account.
     
    bugalugs, Jul 12, 2009
    #3
  4. Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "David Empson" <> wrote in message
    news:1j2qucl.13jg3xoag8ea8N%...
    > Jack Spratt <> wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone else getting these emails (pasted below)?

    >
    > Some of my clients have seen the same message or a very similar one when
    > they actually were sending messages with the wrong "From" address (and
    > the messages they sent were not getting to the destination).



    Settings are the same as they have been for 12+ years.


    >> All mail I send (email client or web mail) is reaching it's destination
    >> and
    >> the POP and alias I use is listed under the options in their web mail
    >> settings.
    >> I can only assume they are responding to spam that is attempting to spoof
    >> my
    >> email address in which case they are only adding to the problem/traffic.

    >
    > If you have your own domain name hosted by Yahoo/Xtra then that is a
    > very likely explanation.


    On this occasion we are talking ISP address mail.


    >> Unless anyone else knows of another explanation?

    >
    > Could also be someone else mimicking the legitimate error messages that
    > Yahoo sends, in a phishing attempt. Is the link really pointing at
    > Telecom?
    >
    > Alternatively, Yahoo has stuffed up and is sending bogus error messages.


    I have forwarded a couple of them to the Xtra help desk and they have
    responded.
    They also tell me to look at my from address and to check that any alias' I
    use are listed in their web mail options.

    They all are. My mail is always delivered.
    IMO they are acting on spam that is spoofing my address and only adding to
    the problem. I have told them this.
     
    Jack Spratt, Jul 12, 2009
    #4
  5. Jack Spratt

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-07-11, Collector€NZ <> wrote:
    > Jack Spratt wrote:
    >> Anyone else getting these emails (pasted below)?
    >> All mail I send (email client or web mail) is reaching it's destination
    >> and the POP and alias I use is listed under the options in their web
    >> mail settings.
    >> I can only assume they are responding to spam that is attempting to
    >> spoof my email address in which case they are only adding to the
    >> problem/traffic.
    >> Unless anyone else knows of another explanation?
    >>
    >> +++
    >>
    >> Dear Customer,
    >>


    [snip]

    >>
    >> These instructions will show you how to add additional email addresses
    >> to your email account using Yahoo!Xtra Pro Mail via webmail. Please note
    >> it will take approximately five minutes to verify each of the email
    >> addresses you send emails from. This only needs to be done once to send
    >> email again from that address.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > This has to be one of the silliest emails I have seen from an ISP, it
    > looks so Phishing that it stinks


    But was the email from an ISP, or a Phisher?

    If so he has picked the right place to cast his bait.
     
    Gordon, Jul 12, 2009
    #5
  6. Jack Spratt

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-07-12, Collector€NZ <> wrote:
    > David Empson wrote:
    >> Jack Spratt <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyone else getting these emails (pasted below)?

    >>
    >> Some of my clients have seen the same message or a very similar one when
    >> they actually were sending messages with the wrong "From" address (and
    >> the messages they sent were not getting to the destination).
    >>
    >>> All mail I send (email client or web mail) is reaching it's destination and
    >>> the POP and alias I use is listed under the options in their web mail
    >>> settings.
    >>> I can only assume they are responding to spam that is attempting to spoof my
    >>> email address in which case they are only adding to the problem/traffic.

    >>
    >> If you have your own domain name hosted by Yahoo/Xtra then that is a
    >> very likely explanation.
    >>
    >>> Unless anyone else knows of another explanation?

    >>
    >> Could also be someone else mimicking the legitimate error messages that
    >> Yahoo sends, in a phishing attempt. Is the link really pointing at
    >> Telecom?
    >>
    >> Alternatively, Yahoo has stuffed up and is sending bogus error messages.
    >>
    >>> +++
    >>>
    >>> Dear Customer,
    >>>
    >>> Our email security has been upgraded to help prevent misuse of email
    >>> addresses.
    >>>
    >>> This upgrade will help guard against having email addresses used by
    >>> unauthorised parties, i.e. when an email appears to come from one source
    >>> but actually comes from another (also known as "spoofing").
    >>>
    >>> You have received this message because you have recently attempted to send
    >>> an email through Yahoo!Xtra Pro Mail from an address that does not match
    >>> email addresses currently linked to your account.
    >>>
    >>> Due to changes made during the security upgrade, your email has been blocked
    >>> and therefore not sent.
    >>>
    >>> Action required to ensure you can send email
    >>>
    >>> To ensure you are able to send emails from this address we need you to add
    >>> the email address to your YahooXtra Pro Mail Account. Once this is completed
    >>> you will be able to send email from these addresses again.
    >>>
    >>> How to verify your email address
    >>>
    >>> Simply follow the step-by-step instructions here:
    >>> http://www.telecom.co.nz/error553
    >>>
    >>> These instructions will show you how to add additional email addresses to
    >>> your email account using Yahoo!Xtra Pro Mail via webmail. Please note it
    >>> will take approximately five minutes to verify each of the email addresses
    >>> you send emails from. This only needs to be done once to send email again
    >>> from that address.

    >>
    >>

    > Its genuine but still stinks as there is no personalization to help
    > identify it as genuine. Just a link


    Personalization? Example please.

    Why is the orginal posting example of Phising and how would you change it to
    alter it so that one believed it was genuine?
     
    Gordon, Jul 12, 2009
    #6
  7. Jack Spratt

    EMB Guest

    Jack Spratt wrote:
    > IMO they are acting on spam that is spoofing my address and only adding
    > to the problem. I have told them this.



    You are wrong - they are not. They are suggesting that your Xtra login
    is being used to authenticate and send email that does not use your Xtra
    email address as sender.
     
    EMB, Jul 12, 2009
    #7
  8. Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message news:h3brmh$vuk$...
    > Jack Spratt wrote:
    >> IMO they are acting on spam that is spoofing my address and only adding
    >> to the problem. I have told them this.

    >
    >
    > You are wrong - they are not. They are suggesting that your Xtra login is
    > being used to authenticate and send email that does not use your Xtra
    > email address as sender.




    My settings are as they have been for 12+ years.
    My user name is <word>.<word>
    <word>.<word>@xtra.co.nz is the POP address.
    For 10+ years I have used an email alias (provided to me by Xtra).
    The alias is set as the from and reply to address and has been on every OS
    (email client) I have used since Win 95.
    For every 20 emails I send I will receive 1 of these auto emails from
    Xtra/Yahoo.

    There seems to be no pattern of it from my end which is why I assumed it was
    the result of email spoofing.
     
    Jack Spratt, Jul 12, 2009
    #8
  9. Jack Spratt

    PeeCee Guest

    "Jack Spratt" <> wrote in message
    news:h3b5al$avk$-september.org...
    > Anyone else getting these emails (pasted below)?
    > All mail I send (email client or web mail) is reaching it's destination
    > and the POP and alias I use is listed under the options in their web mail
    > settings.
    > I can only assume they are responding to spam that is attempting to spoof
    > my email address in which case they are only adding to the
    > problem/traffic.
    > Unless anyone else knows of another explanation?
    >
    > +++
    >
    > Dear Customer,
    >
    >
    >
    > Our email security has been upgraded to help prevent misuse of email
    > addresses.
    >
    >
    >
    > This upgrade will help guard against having email addresses used by
    > unauthorised parties, i.e. when an email appears to come from one source
    > but actually comes from another (also known as "spoofing").
    >
    >
    >
    > You have received this message because you have recently attempted to send
    > an email through Yahoo!Xtra Pro Mail from an address that does not match
    > email addresses currently linked to your account.
    >
    >
    >
    > Due to changes made during the security upgrade, your email has been
    > blocked and therefore not sent.
    >
    >
    > Action required to ensure you can send email
    >
    > To ensure you are able to send emails from this address we need you to add
    > the email address to your YahooXtra Pro Mail Account. Once this is
    > completed you will be able to send email from these addresses again.
    >
    >
    >
    > How to verify your email address
    >
    > Simply follow the step-by-step instructions here:
    > http://www.telecom.co.nz/error553
    >
    >
    >
    > These instructions will show you how to add additional email addresses to
    > your email account using Yahoo!Xtra Pro Mail via webmail. Please note it
    > will take approximately five minutes to verify each of the email addresses
    > you send emails from. This only needs to be done once to send email again
    > from that address.
    >
    >




    Jack

    It's for real, it's Xtra's way of reducing relaying and spoofing as used by
    spammers.

    The practical effect is to stop you sending emails as or
    unless you go through the described procedure to
    'authenicate' your alternative sending email address.

    As your replys to others say you have used the same email addy for some
    years.
    In that case it may be a case of resetting your passwords.

    I come across this 'wont authenticate' problem occassionally and have found
    the quickest and easiest way to fix it is to log onto Xtra's change password
    page and change your password(s) to something completely different.
    By all means change it back again straight away, but this process seems to
    reset something in Xtra's system.

    Best
    Paul.
     
    PeeCee, Jul 12, 2009
    #9
  10. Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    news:h3c67i$dp9$...
    > "Jack Spratt" <> wrote in message
    > news:h3b5al$avk$-september.org...
    >> Anyone else getting these emails (pasted below)?
    >> All mail I send (email client or web mail) is reaching it's destination
    >> and the POP and alias I use is listed under the options in their web mail
    >> settings.
    >> I can only assume they are responding to spam that is attempting to spoof
    >> my email address in which case they are only adding to the
    >> problem/traffic.
    >> Unless anyone else knows of another explanation?
    >>
    >> +++
    >>
    >> Dear Customer,
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Our email security has been upgraded to help prevent misuse of email
    >> addresses.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> This upgrade will help guard against having email addresses used by
    >> unauthorised parties, i.e. when an email appears to come from one source
    >> but actually comes from another (also known as "spoofing").
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> You have received this message because you have recently attempted to
    >> send an email through Yahoo!Xtra Pro Mail from an address that does not
    >> match email addresses currently linked to your account.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Due to changes made during the security upgrade, your email has been
    >> blocked and therefore not sent.
    >>
    >>
    >> Action required to ensure you can send email
    >>
    >> To ensure you are able to send emails from this address we need you to
    >> add the email address to your YahooXtra Pro Mail Account. Once this is
    >> completed you will be able to send email from these addresses again.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> How to verify your email address
    >>
    >> Simply follow the step-by-step instructions here:
    >> http://www.telecom.co.nz/error553
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> These instructions will show you how to add additional email addresses to
    >> your email account using Yahoo!Xtra Pro Mail via webmail. Please note it
    >> will take approximately five minutes to verify each of the email
    >> addresses you send emails from. This only needs to be done once to send
    >> email again from that address.
    >>
    >>

    >
    >
    >
    > Jack
    >
    > It's for real, it's Xtra's way of reducing relaying and spoofing as used
    > by spammers.
    >
    > The practical effect is to stop you sending emails as or
    > unless you go through the described procedure to
    > 'authenicate' your alternative sending email address.
    >
    > As your replys to others say you have used the same email addy for some
    > years.
    > In that case it may be a case of resetting your passwords.
    >
    > I come across this 'wont authenticate' problem occassionally and have
    > found the quickest and easiest way to fix it is to log onto Xtra's change
    > password page and change your password(s) to something completely
    > different.
    > By all means change it back again straight away, but this process seems to
    > reset something in Xtra's system.
    >
    > Best
    > Paul.




    Thanks Paul.
    Funny thing is that my email was re-authenticated recently as a result of
    another Xtra email telling me that for security reasons my password had been
    changed!
    Yes this all sounds like fishing but it was confirmed by Xtra broadband over
    the phone. I was unable to check my email (because of the reset password!!!)
    and they were unable to explain why my password had been reset and could
    find no trace of me requesting it.
     
    Jack Spratt, Jul 12, 2009
    #10
  11. Jack Spratt

    EMB Guest

    Jack Spratt wrote:
    >
    > My settings are as they have been for 12+ years.
    > My user name is <word>.<word>
    > <word>.<word>@xtra.co.nz is the POP address.
    > For 10+ years I have used an email alias (provided to me by Xtra).
    > The alias is set as the from and reply to address and has been on every
    > OS (email client) I have used since Win 95.
    > For every 20 emails I send I will receive 1 of these auto emails from
    > Xtra/Yahoo.
    >
    > There seems to be no pattern of it from my end which is why I assumed it
    > was the result of email spoofing.


    I assume your alias is suitably authorised to send via Xtra's SMTP
    servers. Otherwise the intermittent nature of the message is probably
    just the servers being semi-borked.
     
    EMB, Jul 12, 2009
    #11
  12. Jack Spratt

    EMB Guest

    Jack Spratt wrote:

    > Funny thing is that my email was re-authenticated recently as a result
    > of another Xtra email telling me that for security reasons my password
    > had been changed!
    > Yes this all sounds like fishing but it was confirmed by Xtra broadband
    > over the phone. I was unable to check my email (because of the reset
    > password!!!) and they were unable to explain why my password had been
    > reset and could find no trace of me requesting it.


    Change your password again - and change it immediately. This looks a
    lot like someone who has your "reset" password sending mail whilst
    authenticated as you (which may lead to Xtra killing your account off in
    its entirety).
     
    EMB, Jul 12, 2009
    #12
  13. Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message news:h3ce2g$gem$...
    > Jack Spratt wrote:
    >>
    >> My settings are as they have been for 12+ years.
    >> My user name is <word>.<word>
    >> <word>.<word>@xtra.co.nz is the POP address.
    >> For 10+ years I have used an email alias (provided to me by Xtra).
    >> The alias is set as the from and reply to address and has been on every
    >> OS (email client) I have used since Win 95.
    >> For every 20 emails I send I will receive 1 of these auto emails from
    >> Xtra/Yahoo.
    >>
    >> There seems to be no pattern of it from my end which is why I assumed it
    >> was the result of email spoofing.

    >
    > I assume your alias is suitably authorised to send via Xtra's SMTP
    > servers. Otherwise the intermittent nature of the message is probably
    > just the servers being semi-borked.




    Yep been authorised for donkeys.
    Borked? Is this a trekkie thing? :)
    Password changed as per other email.

    Cheers
     
    Jack Spratt, Jul 13, 2009
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?UmljaGFyZA==?=
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    3,323
    AnandaMS
    Dec 14, 2010
  2. Gregg
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    801
    Gregg
    Mar 6, 2006
  3. Richard

    virus being sent out in mail do not open

    Richard, Aug 20, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    449
    trout
    Aug 20, 2003
  4. Jo M

    Mail disppeared from "Sent" mail

    Jo M, Feb 5, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    600
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty
    Feb 9, 2006
  5. Dribbler

    Vista - Windows Mail msg won't delete

    Dribbler, Aug 31, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    473
    Mhzjunkie
    Sep 1, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page