    These have posters and readers all over the world. So xtra can't keep it
    quiet.

    And we still haven't heard if it is just a hoax!

    Geopelia, Apr 28, 2006

  2. Geopelia

    Katipo Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    news:qjc4g.5992$...
    > xtra's closing message is not only in nz groups. It seems to be in all the
    > newsgroups, e.g. rec.birds, rec.music.opera, rec. org.mensa among many
    > others.
    >
    > These have posters and readers all over the world. So xtra can't keep it
    > quiet.
    >
    > And we still haven't heard if it is just a hoax!

    Well it makes now sense whatsoever to post the message to so many
    newsgroups. Therefore I am picking it is a hoax, and a pretty lame one at
    that.

    Katipo, Apr 28, 2006

  3. Katipo wrote:
    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >> xtra's closing message is not only in nz groups. It seems to be in all the
    >> newsgroups, e.g. rec.birds, rec.music.opera, rec. org.mensa among many
    >> others.
    >>
    >> These have posters and readers all over the world. So xtra can't keep it
    >> quiet.
    >>
    >> And we still haven't heard if it is just a hoax!
    >>

    > Well it makes now sense whatsoever to post the message to so many
    > newsgroups. Therefore I am picking it is a hoax, and a pretty lame one at
    > that.

    They may well have posted itto all active groups on there NNTP server as a
    means of getting the message to all users of there service

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

    Collector»NZ, Apr 28, 2006
  4. "Katipo" <> wrote in message

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >> xtra's closing message is not only in nz groups. It seems to be in all
    >> the newsgroups, e.g. rec.birds, rec.music.opera, rec. org.mensa among
    >> many others.
    >>
    >> These have posters and readers all over the world. So xtra can't keep it
    >> quiet.
    >>
    >> And we still haven't heard if it is just a hoax!
    >>

    > Well it makes now sense whatsoever to post the message to so many
    > newsgroups. Therefore I am picking it is a hoax, and a pretty lame one at
    > that.

    Doesn't sound like a lame one to me by all the shit and feathers flying. The
    other ISP's must be having a giggle and Xtra either are doing it or don't
    care that their customers THINK they're doing it. So should ya switch
    anyway??

    Rasputinnz666, Apr 28, 2006
  5. Geopelia

    bob Guest

    On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:18:49 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    magnanimously proffered:

    >xtra's closing message is not only in nz groups. It seems to be in all the
    >newsgroups, e.g. rec.birds, rec.music.opera, rec. org.mensa among many
    >others.
    >
    >These have posters and readers all over the world. So xtra can't keep it
    >quiet.
    >
    >And we still haven't heard if it is just a hoax!

    Regretfully, it is not a hoax. The following is a reply to my email
    asking if it was:

    Dear Bob

    Thank you for your email.

    Yes, this is a genuine notice.

    If you require any more help with this issue please feel free to
    reply.

    Kind regards

    Fiona
    Service Co-ordinator
    Xtra Online Team
    Telecom New Zealand Ltd
    Xtra Helpdesk 0800 22 55 98

    The only help I'll need is choosing a new ISP after all these years.
    Shame on Xtra.

    bob, Apr 28, 2006
  6. Geopelia

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:18:49 +1200, "Geopelia" <> wrote:

    >xtra's closing message is not only in nz groups. It seems to be in all the
    >newsgroups, e.g. rec.birds, rec.music.opera, rec. org.mensa among many
    >others.
    >
    >These have posters and readers all over the world. So xtra can't keep it
    >quiet.
    >
    >And we still haven't heard if it is just a hoax!

    They would have posted it to all newsgroups to make sure all their customers
    that are using newsgroups see it. It'll probably not be leaving the Xtra news
    server to others though, only Xtra users will see it.

    Craig Shore, Apr 28, 2006
  7. Geopelia

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:21:55 +1200, in message <Bed4g.6144$>,
    Katipo wrote:

    > Therefore I am picking it is a hoax, and a pretty lame one at
    > that.

    Strange, then, how Xtra have removed the news server setup
    information from their website.

    Xtra haven't done a complete job of it yet -- the setup information
    is deleted but the linking pages still point to it. Try this...

    1. Go to Xtra's help page at http://xtra.co.nz/help
    2. Click on the link "Help FAQs", which will take you to
    http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-966313,00.html
    3. Look under the heading "Newsgroups",
    and try either of the links
    • Using newsgroups
    • Internet mail and news settings
    You will find mail settings at those links, but nothing where the
    news server info should be.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    somewhere else." -- Sam Walton

    Ralph Fox, Apr 28, 2006
  8. Geopelia

    EMB Guest

    http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4132-560998,00.html#r

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Apr 28, 2006
  9. Geopelia

    Vincent Vega Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > Ralph Fox wrote:
    >

    >> Strange, then, how Xtra have removed the news server setup information
    >> from their website. Xtra haven't done a complete job of it yet -- the
    >> setup information
    >> is deleted but the linking pages still point to it. Try this...
    >>
    >> 1. Go to Xtra's help page at http://xtra.co.nz/help
    >> 2. Click on the link "Help FAQs", which will take you to
    >> http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-966313,00.html
    >> 3. Look under the heading "Newsgroups", and try either of the links
    >> • Using newsgroups
    >> • Internet mail and news settings
    >> You will find mail settings at those links, but nothing where the
    >> news server info should be.

    > http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4132-560998,00.html#r
    >

    > --
    > EMB

    It's still in the google cache. It's interesting that they went to so much
    trouble to provide a guide on how to set up what was supposedly a
    "complimentary" service http://tinyurl.com/j27z4

    Vincent Vega, Apr 28, 2006
  10. Geopelia

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 20:39:04 +1200, in message <e2skag$oer$>,
    EMB wrote:

    > Ralph Fox wrote:
    >

    > > Strange, then, how Xtra have removed the news server setup
    > > information from their website.
    > >
    > > Xtra haven't done a complete job of it yet -- the setup information
    > > is deleted but the linking pages still point to it. Try this...
    > >
    > > 1. Go to Xtra's help page at http://xtra.co.nz/help
    > > 2. Click on the link "Help FAQs", which will take you to
    > > http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-966313,00.html
    > > 3. Look under the heading "Newsgroups",
    > > and try either of the links
    > > • Using newsgroups
    > > • Internet mail and news settings
    > > You will find mail settings at those links, but nothing where the
    > > news server info should be.

    > http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4132-560998,00.html#r

    Indeed, Xtra have not done a complete job of it.

    But compare these Xtra help pages. The Google cache tells us that
    the news server information was still on these pages in the early hours
    of 22 April (less than a week ago). It has been removed since then.

    ________________
    Using newsgroups
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    wayback archive: http://web.archive.org/web/20050318144839/http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,6227-963756,00.html