Xtra, mail won't send

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Hank Scorpio, Jul 14, 2009.

  1. Hank Scorpio

    Hank Scorpio Guest

    My problem is similar to, but not identical to another similar thread. After
    years of using the same account passwords, I received for the first time
    error message: "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection.
    Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a
    long period of inactivity. Subject 'xxxxx', Account: 'pop3r.xtra.co.nz',
    Server: 'send.xtra.co.nz', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '451 See
    http://pobox.com/~djb/docs/smtplf.html.', Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes,
    Server Error: 451, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"

    This message came up for only two of four messages; the other two were sent.
    But repeated attempts to resend, including a change of password (as
    recommended in the similar thread) have not worked. I did go to the link
    above, and as a result changed the formatting of the two unsent messages a
    bit (something I've never had to do previously), and one of them was sent;
    the other wasn't. The formatting I did was nothing fancy, just something I
    don't want to do every time I send a message: replacing line breaks with
    spaces and letting Outlook Express 6 do its own word-wrapping.

    I've emailed xtra, and can use their webmail, but would still like to have a
    solution or explanation. Thanks in advance.

    Hank Scorpio, Jul 14, 2009

  2. Hank Scorpio

    PeeCee Guest

    "Hank Scorpio" <> wrote in message
    > My problem is similar to, but not identical to another similar thread.
    > After years of using the same account passwords, I received for the first
    > time error message: "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the
    > connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network
    > problems, or a long period of inactivity. Subject 'xxxxx', Account:
    > 'pop3r.xtra.co.nz', Server: 'send.xtra.co.nz', Protocol: SMTP, Server
    > Response: '451 See http://pobox.com/~djb/docs/smtplf.html.', Port: 465,
    > Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 451, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"
    >
    > This message came up for only two of four messages; the other two were
    > sent. But repeated attempts to resend, including a change of password (as
    > recommended in the similar thread) have not worked. I did go to the link
    > above, and as a result changed the formatting of the two unsent messages a
    > bit (something I've never had to do previously), and one of them was sent;
    > the other wasn't. The formatting I did was nothing fancy, just something I
    > don't want to do every time I send a message: replacing line breaks with
    > spaces and letting Outlook Express 6 do its own word-wrapping.
    >
    > I've emailed xtra, and can use their webmail, but would still like to have
    > a solution or explanation. Thanks in advance.

    Hank

    Wouldn't have thought 'formatting' could affect whether an email goes or
    not.
    I think Xtra (or more likely Yahoo) are dicking around with the email and
    authentication servers.

    Evidence:
    Your problems
    See the earlier post from Jack Spratt with email issues.
    My own email account asked for username/password a couple of days ago when
    they were correctly entered in the email client.

    Suggest you ring Xtra rather than email. (0800 22 55 98)
    Unlikely to provide much help but will add to the pressure on their
    management to get it fixed.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jul 15, 2009

  3. Hank Scorpio

    Hank Scorpio Guest

    Thanks Paul. I went to the xtra help website and they now have an automated
    PC health checker, which seems to have fixed it. Or maybe it was just a
    coincidence. It's amazing; you type in the error code in Google and there
    are dozens of different suggestions, some trivial, some much more onerous.
    Anyway, thanks for your support. HS

    Hank Scorpio, Jul 15, 2009
  4. Hank Scorpio

    > Thanks Paul. I went to the xtra help website and they now have an
    > automated PC health checker, which seems to have fixed it. Or maybe it was
    > just a coincidence. It's amazing; you type in the error code in Google and
    > there are dozens of different suggestions, some trivial, some much more
    > onerous. Anyway, thanks for your support. HS

    Your welcome
    :)
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jul 16, 2009
  5. In message <h3mhqd$lr3$>, PeeCee wrote:

    > Your welcome

    This sentence no verb.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 21, 2009
  6. Hank Scorpio

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-07-21, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <h3mhqd$lr3$>, PeeCee wrote:
    >
    >> Your welcome

    > This sentence no verb.

    Welcome is the verb. cf you are stuffed.

    Gordon, Jul 22, 2009
  7. In message <>, Gordon wrote:

    > On 2009-07-21, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> In message <h3mhqd$lr3$>, PeeCee wrote:
    >>
    >>> Your welcome

    >> This sentence no verb.
    >>

    > Welcome is the verb.

    In that case, what are the subject and object?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 26, 2009
  8. Hank Scorpio

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-07-26, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <>, Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> On 2009-07-21, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand>
    >> wrote:

    >>> This sentence no verb.
    >>>

    >> Welcome is the verb.

    > In that case, what are the subject and object?

    English is a language which does not follows all the rules.

    Gordon, Jul 26, 2009
  9. Hank Scorpio

    Enkidu Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On 2009-07-26, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >> In message <>, Gordon wrote:

    >>> Welcome is the verb.

    >> In that case, what are the subject and object?
    >>

    > English is a language which does not follows all the rules.

    It's pretty obvious that the OP meant "You're welcome". I can think of
    any way that 'welcome' can be a verb in the original sentence.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 26, 2009
  10. In message <>, Gordon wrote:

    > On 2009-07-26, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, Gordon wrote:

    >>> Welcome is the verb.

    >> In that case, what are the subject and object?
    >>

    > English is a language which does not follows all the rules.

    In that case, we can all tomato extrapolators, too.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 27, 2009