    Looks as though Xtra having been rejecting external mail since about
    1300 today.

    "No known problems on the network"
    lolinternets, Apr 4, 2006

  2. lolinternets

    Thor Guest

    On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 18:54:03 +1200, lolinternets wrote:

    > Looks as though Xtra having been rejecting external mail since about 1300
    > today.
    >
    > "No known problems on the network"

    Right then the several I have got into my xtra mailbox since that time
    must be a figment of my imagination then.
    Thor, Apr 4, 2006

  3. lolinternets

    lolinternets Guest

    Thor wrote:
    > Right then the several I have got into my xtra mailbox since that time
    > must be a figment of my imagination then.

    Then the several thousand messages queued across our mail servers, the
    port 25 connections timing out from multiple ISP connections, and the
    helpdesk saying there's a known fault with the mail system must all be a
    ruse just to trick me.

    lolmailserver:~# telnet mta.xtra.co.nz 25
    Trying 203.96.92.132...
    telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out
    lolinternets, Apr 4, 2006
  4. lolinternets

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 18:54:03 +1200, lolinternets <lol@internets>
    exclaimed:

    >Looks as though Xtra having been rejecting external mail since about
    >1300 today.
    >
    >"No known problems on the network"

    And they're trying to force everyone to use their servers, by blocking
    Port 25. God help those hosting email servers on Xtra...
    Fred Dagg, Apr 4, 2006
  5. "lolinternets" <lol@internets> wrote in message
    > Looks as though Xtra having been rejecting external mail since about
    > 1300 today.
    >
    > "No known problems on the network"

    I haven't had any issues.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Apr 4, 2006
  6. On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 19:04:40 +1200, Thor wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 18:54:03 +1200, lolinternets wrote:
    >
    >> Looks as though Xtra having been rejecting external mail since about 1300
    >> today.
    >>
    >> "No known problems on the network"

    > Right then the several I have got into my xtra mailbox since that time
    > must be a figment of my imagination then.

    Where they from servers within Telecom's network, or from people posting
    directly through Telecom's own servers? And how would you know?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    "When a company starts fighting over IP, it's a
    sign they've lost the real battle, for users."
    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 4, 2006
  7. lolinternets

    thingy Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 18:54:03 +1200, lolinternets <lol@internets>
    > exclaimed:
    >

    >>Looks as though Xtra having been rejecting external mail since about
    >>1300 today.
    >>
    >>"No known problems on the network"

    > And they're trying to force everyone to use their servers, by blocking
    > Port 25. God help those hosting email servers on Xtra...

    Interesting because ADSL was sold to small companies on the basis they
    could run their own mail servers....Quite a few do, I spend too much
    time telling my clients and those companies that their mail servers are
    setup wrong and its not my issue.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Apr 4, 2006
  8. lolinternets

    Enkidu Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 18:54:03 +1200, lolinternets <lol@internets>
    > exclaimed:
    >

    >> Looks as though Xtra having been rejecting external mail since
    >> about 1300 today.
    >>
    >> "No known problems on the network"

    > And they're trying to force everyone to use their servers, by
    > blocking Port 25. God help those hosting email servers on Xtra...

    They are allowing people to opt out if they wish.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Apr 4, 2006
  9. lolinternets

    Enkidu Guest

    lolinternets wrote:
    > Thor wrote:
    >
    >> Right then the several I have got into my xtra mailbox since that time
    >>must be a figment of my imagination then.

    > Then the several thousand messages queued across our mail servers, the
    > port 25 connections timing out from multiple ISP connections, and the
    > helpdesk saying there's a known fault with the mail system must all be a
    > ruse just to trick me.
    >
    > lolmailserver:~# telnet mta.xtra.co.nz 25
    > Trying 203.96.92.132...
    > telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out

    According to the Xtra Info page the smtp host is smtp.xtra.co.nz. Since
    I'm not an Xtra subscriber I can't test if that one works. It resolves
    to 203.96.92.131. Are you using mta for any particular reason?

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Apr 4, 2006
  10. lolinternets

    Dave Green Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > lolinternets wrote:
    >> Thor wrote:
    >>
    >>> Right then the several I have got into my xtra mailbox since that time
    >>> must be a figment of my imagination then.

    >> Then the several thousand messages queued across our mail servers, the
    >> port 25 connections timing out from multiple ISP connections, and the
    >> helpdesk saying there's a known fault with the mail system must all be a
    >> ruse just to trick me.
    >>
    >> lolmailserver:~# telnet mta.xtra.co.nz 25
    >> Trying 203.96.92.132...
    >> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out
    >>

    > According to the Xtra Info page the smtp host is smtp.xtra.co.nz. Since
    > I'm not an Xtra subscriber I can't test if that one works. It resolves
    > to 203.96.92.131. Are you using mta for any particular reason?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    The mx record for a lot of Xtra hosted sites resolves to the
    mta.xtra.co.nz address. My mailserver has had regular periods of
    timeouts when trying to send via that name.

    Dave Green, Apr 5, 2006