    Also, would Internet Connection Sharing have an adverse impact.

    Whadyareckon ?

    TIA ................... P.
    Pon, Oct 29, 2004

  2. Pon

    steve Guest

    Pon wrote:

    > New to this ... so....
    > Downloads seem OK at around the 256kbps, but I'm wondering whether
    > ping is a bit on the high side for online gaming at between 70->100ms,
    > and whether this will drop when we move to 2mpbs next month sometime.
    > Also, would interfacing the DLink302G via USB rather than ethernet be
    > having an adverse effect?
    > Also, would Internet Connection Sharing have an adverse impact.
    >
    > Whadyareckon ?
    >

    > TIA ................... P.

    At 2mbps you should se a ping of about 17ms.....assuming the gaming server
    is in NZ and located near an exchange that the ISP concerned is connected
    to.

    But with TelstraClear trying to milk peering for cash and make customers pay
    twice, that may no longer be a valid assumption.

    --
    Distributed Computing Projects:
    SETI at Home
    steve, Oct 29, 2004

  3. Pon

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 23:27:34 +1300, Pon wrote:

    > New to this ... so....
    > Downloads seem OK at around the 256kbps, but I'm wondering whether
    > ping is a bit on the high side for online gaming at between 70->100ms,
    > and whether this will drop when we move to 2mpbs next month sometime.
    > Also, would interfacing the DLink302G via USB rather than ethernet be
    > having an adverse effect?
    > Also, would Internet Connection Sharing have an adverse impact.
    >
    > Whadyareckon ?
    >

    > TIA ................... P.

    Your connection speed should have no effect on your ping, as long as you
    have your connection settings setup correctly. You need to set the
    connection speed below your upload speed (ie 128k) (In battlefield 1942 set
    your connection to ISDN (112kbps)). On jetstart 128k I get a ping of about
    43ms, though i know some people who on the same connection get up to 100ms,
    it depends on your distance from the exchange.
    -[Myth]-, Oct 30, 2004
  4. Pon

    Bret Guest

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 13:21:09 +1300, -[Myth]- wrote:

    > Your connection speed should have no effect on your ping,

    WTF ??
    Bret, Oct 30, 2004
  5. Pon

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 14:39:00 +1300, Bret wrote:

    > On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 13:21:09 +1300, -[Myth]- wrote:
    >
    >> Your connection speed should have no effect on your ping,

    > WTF ??

    Unless your connection is saturated, i believe this to be the case, for
    example my ping is always 42-45ms playing BF1942 on Xtra servers, and this
    doesnt change whether im using 128k or 6mbps Jetstreamgames.
    -[Myth]-, Oct 30, 2004
  6. Pon

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 23:27:34 +1300, Pon wrote:

    > New to this ... so....

    Okay ask questions.

    > Downloads seem OK at around the 256kbps, but I'm wondering whether
    > ping is a bit on the high side for online gaming at between 70->100ms,
    > and whether this will drop when we move to 2mpbs next month sometime.

    Ping, is a process where by one computer sends outs packets aimed at
    another computer and that computer replies, with another packet that it
    has received your packet.

    Now say the computer you ping is very, very busy, and the route(s) to it
    are is grid locked. Ping times will not be high no matter what your speed.
    Gordon, Oct 30, 2004
  7. Pon

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 15:40:27 +1300, -[Myth]- wrote:

    > On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 14:39:00 +1300, Bret wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 13:21:09 +1300, -[Myth]- wrote:
    >>
    >>> Your connection speed should have no effect on your ping,

    >> WTF ??

    > Unless your connection is saturated, i believe this to be the case, for
    > example my ping is always 42-45ms playing BF1942 on Xtra servers, and this
    > doesnt change whether im using 128k or 6mbps Jetstreamgames.

    See, the real world has all sorts of fish hooks.
    Gordon, Oct 30, 2004
  8. -[Myth]- wrote:
    >>>Your connection speed should have no effect on your ping,

    >>WTF ??

    > Unless your connection is saturated, i believe this to be the case, for
    > example my ping is always 42-45ms playing BF1942 on Xtra servers, and this
    > doesnt change whether im using 128k or 6mbps Jetstreamgames.

    you are 100% correct, well, not 100%, but your qualification of "unless
    it is saturated" covers all the exclusions I can think of...

    unless you change the medium, it'll always be "the same".

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 30, 2004
  9. Pon

    colinco Guest

    In article Dave - Dave.net.nz says...
    > unless you change the medium, it'll always be "the same".

    When the rate is fixed at the ADSL port, that will change the medium.
    colinco, Oct 31, 2004
  10. Pon

    Peter Ingham Guest

    On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 12:42:12 +1300, colinco <>
    wrote:

    >In article Dave - Dave.net.nz says...
    >> unless you change the medium, it'll always be "the same".
    >>

    >When the rate is fixed at the ADSL port, that will change the medium.

    Depends on how the rate is limited...
    Telecom ADSL rate limiting has not (to date) worked by reducing the
    DCE to DCE signaling rate.

    If my connection is at 4Mbps, and limited to max 128Kb in any given
    second, then a 400 byte packet takes 1.2 milli transfer time as long
    as rate limiting does not kick in.

    If I then increase my cap to 256Kb in any given second, a 400 byte
    packet still takes 1.2 milli transfer time as long as rate limiting
    does not kick in.

    --
    Please remove '_SpamTrap' when replying. You know why :-(

    Peter Ingham
    Lower Hutt
    New Zealand

    Peter Ingham, Nov 1, 2004
  11. Peter Ingham wrote:
    >>>unless you change the medium, it'll always be "the same".

    >>When the rate is fixed at the ADSL port, that will change the medium.

    > Depends on how the rate is limited...
    > Telecom ADSL rate limiting has not (to date) worked by reducing the
    > DCE to DCE signaling rate.
    >
    > If my connection is at 4Mbps, and limited to max 128Kb in any given
    > second, then a 400 byte packet takes 1.2 milli transfer time as long
    > as rate limiting does not kick in.
    >
    > If I then increase my cap to 256Kb in any given second, a 400 byte
    > packet still takes 1.2 milli transfer time as long as rate limiting
    > does not kick in.

    exactly.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 1, 2004
  12. Pon

    colinco Guest

    In article Dave - Dave.net.nz says...
    > > Depends on how the rate is limited...
    > > Telecom ADSL rate limiting has not (to date) worked by reducing the
    > > DCE to DCE signaling rate.
    > >
    > > If my connection is at 4Mbps, and limited to max 128Kb in any given
    > > second, then a 400 byte packet takes 1.2 milli transfer time as long
    > > as rate limiting does not kick in.
    > >
    > > If I then increase my cap to 256Kb in any given second, a 400 byte
    > > packet still takes 1.2 milli transfer time as long as rate limiting
    > > does not kick in.

    > exactly.

    But Telecom are changing all rate limiting to be done via line speed at
    the DSLAM. Rate limiting won't "kick in" it will just be there.
    colinco, Nov 1, 2004
  13. Pon

    Peter Ingham Guest

    On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 09:30:58 +1300, colinco <>
    wrote:

    >In article Dave - Dave.net.nz says...
    >> > Depends on how the rate is limited...
    >> > Telecom ADSL rate limiting has not (to date) worked by reducing the
    >> > DCE to DCE signaling rate.
    >> >
    >> > If my connection is at 4Mbps, and limited to max 128Kb in any given
    >> > second, then a 400 byte packet takes 1.2 milli transfer time as long
    >> > as rate limiting does not kick in.
    >> >
    >> > If I then increase my cap to 256Kb in any given second, a 400 byte
    >> > packet still takes 1.2 milli transfer time as long as rate limiting
    >> > does not kick in.

    >> exactly.
    >>

    >But Telecom are changing all rate limiting to be done via line speed at
    >the DSLAM. Rate limiting won't "kick in" it will just be there.

    Haven't heard of this before. It hasn't been mentioned on the ADSL
    list.

    I'll know for sure next week as I'm converting from JS to Orcon UBS.

    Peter Ingham, Nov 2, 2004
  14. Pon

    colinco Guest

    colinco, Nov 2, 2004
  15. Pon

    Peter Ingham Guest

    On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 10:51:58 +1300, colinco <>
    wrote:

    >In article Peter Ingham says...
    >> Haven't heard of this before. It hasn't been mentioned on the ADSL
    >> list.
    >>

    >How about this thread?
    >http://unixathome.org/adsl/archives/2004_10/0059.html

    That thread primarily discusses the increase in RTT observed when
    people move to the new plans and its effect on gamers.

    There is nothing I could find in it (that I would consider
    authoritative) which supports your assertion that the DCE rates are
    being reduced. Craig Whitmore could probably tell us, if we asked....

    I'll know for certain in 5 days when I get converted.

    Peter Ingham, Nov 3, 2004
  16. Pon

    colinco Guest

    In article Peter Ingham says...
    > There is nothing I could find in it (that I would consider
    > authoritative) which supports your assertion that the DCE rates are
    > being reduced. Craig Whitmore could probably tell us, if we asked....

    Step by step

    Thread sparked by letter containing this Telecom link
    http://www.telecom.co.nz/content/0,3900,204368-201502,00.html

    Quote from this Telecom link

    "Telecom is changing the point in the network where a customer's DSL
    connection speed is set. It will now be set at a customer line level
    rather than further back in the network. Some customers will notice a
    change in their reported connection speed, as this will now more
    accurately reflect the speed of the plan the customer has chosen. Access
    to all services (including JetStream Games and Remote Office) will now
    operate at the speed of the plan chosen by the customer. "

    Believe or not...
    colinco, Nov 3, 2004