    George Guest

    Without informing customers, xtra is recording all helpline conversations.

    Interesting, what?

    George, Sep 1, 2007

  2. George

    Fred Guest

    "George" <> wrote in message
    news:46d9db50$0$25578$...

    > Without informing customers, xtra is recording all helpline conversations.

    So what?

    Fred, Sep 1, 2007

  3. George

    Fred Guest

    Fred, Sep 1, 2007
  4. George

    George Guest

    Fred wrote:

    > "George" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Without informing customers, xtra is recording all helpline conversations.
    >>

    > So what?

    So indeed.

    George, Sep 1, 2007
  5. "George" <> wrote in message

    > Without informing customers, xtra is recording all helpline conversations.
    >
    > Interesting, what?

    What makes you think this?

    Thanks

    Craig Whitmore, Sep 2, 2007
  6. George

    Rob S Guest

    George wrote:

    > Without informing customers, xtra is recording all helpline conversations.
    >
    > Interesting, what?

    Common practice.
    --

    Rob
    http://www.aspir8or.com

    You're *such* a mac person.

    Rob S, Sep 2, 2007
  7. George

    Geoff Guest

    George wrote:
    > Without informing customers, xtra is recording all helpline
    > conversations.
    > Interesting, what?

    No.

    Well it is in as much as whoever listens to them will get very depressed.

    geoff

    Geoff, Sep 2, 2007

    Full Throttle, Sep 2, 2007
  9. George

    peterwn Guest

    Rob S wrote:
    > George wrote:
    >>
    >> Without informing customers, xtra is recording all helpline
    >> conversations.
    >>
    >> Interesting, what?
    >>

    > Common practice.

    Three reasons:
    1. To help deal with customer complaints concerning call centre staff,
    this would help exonerate staff in cases where customers misrepresent
    the behaviour of staff.
    2. Contractual reasons. If a customer requests new service, the
    recording provides evidence if the extra cost is later queried.
    3. Staff training.

    peterwn, Sep 2, 2007
  10. George

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Fred wrote:
    > "George" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Without informing customers, xtra is recording all helpline
    > > conversations.

    > So what?

    Last I heard it was illegal in NZ to record a phone conversation without
    informing the other party. Envirowaste, if you ring them, have an
    announcement saying that conversations are being recorded unless there is an
    objection. ("For training purposes") I asked them to stop recording last
    time I rang them as I was giving them a credit card number to pay for a
    wheelie-bin for a year.

    A legal opinion would be good.
    --
    TTFN.

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 2, 2007
  11. George

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 12:08:13 +1200, Rob S <Here@home> wrote:
    >George wrote:
    >>
    >> Without informing customers, xtra is recording all helpline conversations.
    >>
    >> Interesting, what?
    >>

    >Common practice.

    It's common to receive a statement of the policy on your way in
    through the IVR. "This conversation may be recorded for training
    purposes" is usually what they say.

    I do hope xtra record what people say to the voice-response robot, and
    listen to the recordings, and think about what they hear. I usually
    say "Give me a human being" three or four times, but I bet others are
    less printable.

    Sue Bilstein, Sep 2, 2007
  12. George

    RL Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Last I heard it was illegal in NZ to record a phone conversation without
    > informing the other party. Envirowaste, if you ring them, have an
    > announcement saying that conversations are being recorded unless there is an
    > objection. ("For training purposes") I asked them to stop recording last
    > time I rang them as I was giving them a credit card number to pay for a
    > wheelie-bin for a year.
    >
    > A legal opinion would be good.

    Only one party is required to be aware of the recording. All my personal
    phone calls are automatically recorded. These are only kept for a few
    days unless I need them for future reference.

    RL

    RL, Sep 2, 2007
  13. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Fred wrote:
    >> "George" <> wrote in message
    >>> Without informing customers, xtra is recording all helpline
    >>> conversations.

    >> So what?

    > Last I heard it was illegal in NZ to record a phone conversation without
    > informing the other party. Envirowaste, if you ring them, have an
    > announcement saying that conversations are being recorded unless there is an
    > objection. ("For training purposes") I asked them to stop recording last
    > time I rang them as I was giving them a credit card number to pay for a
    > wheelie-bin for a year.
    >
    > A legal opinion would be good.

    Most of their helpdesk is overseas and so beyond NZ jurisdiction.

    A document from Telecom to their contractors overseas requiring them to record
    all helpdesk calls would be nice to hold.

    I'd guess they'd bury implicit consent to monitoring and recording all your
    communication in their Terms and Conditions.

    (ianal)

    Mark Robinson, Sep 2, 2007
  14. George

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 15:22:14 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> exclaimed:

    >Fred wrote:
    >> "George" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Without informing customers, xtra is recording all helpline
    >> > conversations.

    >> So what?

    >Last I heard it was illegal in NZ to record a phone conversation without
    >informing the other party. Envirowaste, if you ring them, have an
    >announcement saying that conversations are being recorded unless there is an
    >objection. ("For training purposes") I asked them to stop recording last
    >time I rang them as I was giving them a credit card number to pay for a
    >wheelie-bin for a year.

    My understanding is that it is perfectly legal to record a
    conversation in NZ if:

    1. One party is aware the conversation is recorded
    2. There is a reasonable expectation that the call might be answered.
    In this day and age, this is any call made to a call centre or
    business.

    It can only be used for the purpose of the recording, however. As a
    business, you can't record people's calls "for training purposes" then
    use them in a civil dispute.

    Fred Dagg, Sep 2, 2007
  15. George

    Fred Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Fred wrote:
    >> "George" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Without informing customers, xtra is recording all helpline
    >> > conversations.

    >> So what?

    > Last I heard it was illegal in NZ to record a phone conversation without
    > informing the other party. Envirowaste, if you ring them, have an
    > announcement saying that conversations are being recorded unless there is
    > an objection. ("For training purposes") I asked them to stop recording
    > last time I rang them as I was giving them a credit card number to pay for
    > a wheelie-bin for a year.

    Are you for real? The first thing that happens to your number is the
    operator will write it down.

    Fred, Sep 2, 2007
  16. George

    Fred Guest

    "Sue Bilstein" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 12:08:13 +1200, Rob S <Here@home> wrote:
    >>George wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Without informing customers, xtra is recording all helpline
    >>> conversations.
    >>>
    >>> Interesting, what?
    >>>

    >>Common practice.

    > It's common to receive a statement of the policy on your way in
    > through the IVR. "This conversation may be recorded for training
    > purposes" is usually what they say.

    The only reason they say that is to reduce bad language and abuse from
    callers, which leads to high staff turnover.

    Fred, Sep 2, 2007
  17. George

    ~misfit~ Guest

    RL wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > Last I heard it was illegal in NZ to record a phone conversation
    > > without informing the other party. Envirowaste, if you ring them,
    > > have an announcement saying that conversations are being recorded
    > > unless there is an objection. ("For training purposes") I asked
    > > them to stop recording last time I rang them as I was giving them a
    > > credit card number to pay for a wheelie-bin for a year.
    > >
    > > A legal opinion would be good.

    > Only one party is required to be aware of the recording. All my
    > personal phone calls are automatically recorded. These are only kept
    > for a few days unless I need them for future reference.

    Hi RL,

    Is that a legal opinion or simply what you believe and do?

    Cheers,
    --
    TTFN.

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 2, 2007
  18. George

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Fred wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > > Fred wrote:
    > > > "George" <> wrote in message

    > > > So what?

    > > Last I heard it was illegal in NZ to record a phone conversation
    > > without informing the other party. Envirowaste, if you ring them,
    > > have an announcement saying that conversations are being recorded
    > > unless there is an objection. ("For training purposes") I asked
    > > them to stop recording last time I rang them as I was giving them a
    > > credit card number to pay for a wheelie-bin for a year.
    > >

    > Are you for real?

    The above question implies disbelief.
    In other words you're saying you don't believe me.
    Ergo you are calling me a liar.

    I'm offended and feel a loss of dignity. You're lucky that you don't use
    Actrix as an internet/NNTP providor or you could receive your first and only
    warning over that statement. I wonder if Telstraclear have a similar T&C?

    > The first thing that happens to your number is the
    > operator will write it down.

    Well obviously I'm not going to address this as you just called me a liar.
    --
    TTFN.

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 2, 2007
  19. George

    Fred Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Fred wrote:
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    >> > Last I heard it was illegal in NZ to record a phone conversation
    >> > without informing the other party. Envirowaste, if you ring them,
    >> > have an announcement saying that conversations are being recorded
    >> > unless there is an objection. ("For training purposes") I asked
    >> > them to stop recording last time I rang them as I was giving them a
    >> > credit card number to pay for a wheelie-bin for a year.
    >> >

    >> Are you for real?

    > The above question implies disbelief.
    > In other words you're saying you don't believe me.
    > Ergo you are calling me a liar.
    >
    > I'm offended and feel a loss of dignity. You're lucky that you don't use
    > Actrix as an internet/NNTP providor or you could receive your first and
    > only warning over that statement. I wonder if Telstraclear have a similar
    > T&C?
    >
    >> The first thing that happens to your number is the
    >> operator will write it down.

    > Well obviously I'm not going to address this as you just called me a liar.
    > --

    No. I'm not calling you a liar. I did however wonder if you were joking.

    Fred, Sep 2, 2007
  20. George

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 18:52:58 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> exclaimed:

    >> > Last I heard it was illegal in NZ to record a phone conversation
    >> > without informing the other party. Envirowaste, if you ring them,
    >> > have an announcement saying that conversations are being recorded
    >> > unless there is an objection. ("For training purposes") I asked
    >> > them to stop recording last time I rang them as I was giving them a
    >> > credit card number to pay for a wheelie-bin for a year.
    >> >

    >> Are you for real?

    >The above question implies disbelief.
    >In other words you're saying you don't believe me.
    >Ergo you are calling me a liar.
    >
    >I'm offended and feel a loss of dignity. You're lucky that you don't use
    >Actrix as an internet/NNTP providor or you could receive your first and only
    >warning over that statement. I wonder if Telstraclear have a similar T&C?
    >
    >> The first thing that happens to your number is the
    >> operator will write it down.

    >Well obviously I'm not going to address this as you just called me a liar.

    My god! You're a nutter!

    Fred Dagg, Sep 2, 2007