    just trying to run everything from one server...

    Cheers

    Aaron
    Aaron Lawrence, Oct 8, 2003

  2. Aaron Lawrence

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Aaron Lawrence" wrote
    > Does anyone know what that resolution will be? I've asked the helpdesk
    > but of course received only generic answers.

    Those generic answers are all the helpdesk will have, they are mushrooms,
    fed shit, and kept in the dark, you could try th business helpdesk as they
    are not out sourced.

    > Do they have multiple servers with failover between them, or are they
    > just trying to run everything from one server...

    ~300000 accounts, I'd imagine it will be a cluster of some sorts, take maybe
    an average of half a MB per customer(mailbox size) and it would be ~150GB of
    email sitting there... at a guess it would be more than one machine :)
    T.N.O., Oct 8, 2003

  3. Aaron Lawrence

    Lennier Guest

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 14:11:13 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    > ~300000 accounts, I'd imagine it will be a cluster of some sorts, take
    > maybe an average of half a MB per customer(mailbox size) and it would be
    > ~150GB of email sitting there... at a guess it would be more than one
    > machine :)

    They have multiple machienes - as a cursory glance at the headers of your
    email will tell you.

    That same glance will also tell you that Xtra is presently using at least
    one backup device.

    Xtra must have had a device failure.

    Lennier
    Lennier, Oct 8, 2003
  4. Aaron Lawrence

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Lennier" wrote
    > That same glance will also tell you that Xtra is presently using at least
    > one backup device.

    Standard business sense says that they should have atleast one backup device
    :)

    > Xtra must have had a device failure.

    or they flicked something off for an upgrade, not all outages are caused by
    failures.
    T.N.O., Oct 8, 2003
  5. Aaron Lawrence

    Lennier Guest

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 15:00:44 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    >> Xtra must have had a device failure.

    > or they flicked something off for an upgrade, not all outages are caused
    > by failures.

    Well then they should have planned sufficiently ahead in order to maintain
    the quality of service!

    Lennier
    Lennier, Oct 8, 2003
  6. Aaron Lawrence

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Lennier" wrote
    > Well then they should have planned sufficiently ahead in order to maintain
    > the quality of service!

    In a perfect world that would work out just fine.

    You're an argumentative son of a bitch Lennier.
    T.N.O., Oct 8, 2003
  7. Aaron Lawrence

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <blvs4a$haed9$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > "Lennier" wrote
    > > Well then they should have planned sufficiently ahead in order to maintain
    > > the quality of service!

    > In a perfect world that would work out just fine.
    >
    > You're an argumentative son of a bitch Lennier.

    and you are a stirrer - who will try to find some reason to abuse Xtra at
    every opportunity
    Mainlander, Oct 8, 2003
  8. Aaron Lawrence

    Bret Guest

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 15:05:34 +1300, Lennier
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 15:00:44 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:
    >
    >>> Xtra must have had a device failure.

    >> or they flicked something off for an upgrade, not all outages are caused
    >> by failures.

    >Well then they should have planned sufficiently ahead in order to maintain
    >the quality of service!

    They are maintaining the same quality of service.
    Bret, Oct 8, 2003
  9. Aaron Lawrence

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Mainlander" wrote
    > and you are a stirrer - who will try to find some reason to abuse Xtra at
    > every opportunity

    Yeah, true about the stirrer thing, but I don't abuse them that often, see
    this thread for proof.
    T.N.O., Oct 8, 2003
  10. Aaron Lawrence

    M Guest

    Whats actually been going on in xtras email campus?

    Like the recent delays extended from 3pm to 11pm, but I know for like 2 or
    2-1/2 weeks there has been delays / intermittent from like 5pm till 9am in
    the morning, other quick 1hour or 2hour here and there etc....

    Its been rather fustrating with people wondering why someone hasent got an
    email, or its taking like hours to send.

    Hope they fix whatever they are doing soon!

    Matt

    M, Oct 8, 2003
  11. Aaron Lawrence

    T.N.O. Guest

    "M" wrote
    > other quick 1hour or 2hour here and there etc....
    > Its been rather fustrating with people wondering why someone hasent got an
    > email, or its taking like hours to send.

    dude, email is not instant... if you want instant, use instant messages.
    T.N.O., Oct 8, 2003
  12. Aaron Lawrence

    Lennier Guest

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 20:19:18 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    > dude, email is not instant.

    If you want "instant" then you go for RADIO rather than Email.

    Email is as near to instant as any messaging delivery service can get.

    If it is not nearly instant then the system is defective.

    Lennier
    Lennier, Oct 8, 2003
  13. Thus spake Bret:
    > They are maintaining the same quality of service.

    Um... I'm seeing delays of 2 days on some email.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    Aaron Lawrence, Oct 8, 2003
  14. Aaron Lawrence

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Lennier" wrote
    > > dude, email is not instant.

    > If it is not nearly instant then the system is defective.

    Or there could be some backlog due to ***insert basically anything here***

    Some mail servers queue the mail while busy doing other things.
    T.N.O., Oct 8, 2003
  15. Aaron Lawrence

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Aaron Lawrence" wrote
    > > They are maintaining the same quality of service.

    > Um... I'm seeing delays of 2 days on some email.

    48hrs is still in spec... read your RFC's :)
    T.N.O., Oct 8, 2003
  16. Aaron Lawrence

    M Guest

    I dont expect an email from an xtra mailbox to an xtra mailbox to take 3-4
    hours.....
    30 minutes is acceptable to me, even between providers...... however thats
    still a long time.
    Im dissapointed to say the fax is more reliable and faster than sometimes
    sending an email.

    Its only a bugger when your doing online bidding / auctions etc and
    notifications are sent via email, when its just not fast enough.

    M, Oct 9, 2003
  17. Aaron Lawrence

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 16:14:10 +1300, in article
    <>, Bret wrote:

    > On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 15:05:34 +1300, Lennier
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Well then they should have planned sufficiently ahead in order to maintain
    > >the quality of service!
    > >

    > They are maintaining the same quality of service.

    Emails sent to me between 9am Sunday and 9am Monday only turned up
    on Tuesday afternoon, while emails sent to me on Monday after 9am
    turned up immediately.

    That is not the same quality of service as in the months before.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    somewhere else." -- Sam Walton
    Ralph Fox, Oct 9, 2003
  18. On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 08:23:02 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    > "Lennier" wrote
    >> > dude, email is not instant.

    >> If it is not nearly instant then the system is defective.

    > Or there could be some backlog due to ***insert basically anything here***

    Email is BY DEFINITION unreliable and not instant, even if most of the
    time it is usually both.

    Anyone who believes otherwise to the point of relying on it is an idiot.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 9, 2003
  19. Aaron Lawrence

    Enkidu Guest

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 20:14:25 +0200, "Uncle StoatWarbler"
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 08:23:02 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:
    >
    >> "Lennier" wrote

    >>> If it is not nearly instant then the system is defective.

    >> Or there could be some backlog due to ***insert basically anything here***

    >Email is BY DEFINITION unreliable and not instant, even if most of the
    >time it is usually both.
    >
    >Anyone who believes otherwise to the point of relying on it is an idiot.

    Second that.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    that the conspiracy is working.
    Enkidu, Oct 10, 2003
  20. Thus spake Enkidu:
    > >Anyone who believes otherwise to the point of relying on it is an idiot.
    > >

    > Second that.

    I know it's not guaranteed (what is?) but I don't expect 7 hour delays
    sitting in one server without a good reason. If nothing else, a lot of
    people (read: customers) do expect it to be fast and reliable, and no
    matter how naive that is, it's a fact that they expect it.

    Aaron Lawrence, Oct 10, 2003