    evening....hardly what one could call intermittent. Just wondering if
    this was NZ wide or localised, has anyone been getting their mail ok?

    Gavin

    Gavin Tunney, Sep 9, 2003

  2. Gavin Tunney

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Gavin Tunney" wrote
    > Typical cryptic & uninformative message on their help page...
    > Issue: Receiving Email
    > Period: Intermittent

    At least the information is there...

    > Their email has been totally down for me since early yesterday
    > evening....hardly what one could call intermittent.

    It may only effect certain groups of users, a-g or something, you never
    know.

    > Just wondering if
    > this was NZ wide or localised, has anyone been getting their mail ok?

    My mum is getting her work email, and it is through Xtra, so some are.

    T.N.O., Sep 9, 2003

  3. Gavin Tunney

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:09:36 +1200, "WriteWord Translations"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm in the eastern suburbs of Wellington, and I've hardly got any e-mail at
    >all since yesterday evening, same as Gavin.
    >
    >In the mornings I can usually expect anywhere from 20 to 50 messages (a lot
    >of that being spam). Today there was one!
    >
    >I just rang up their Help Desk for the status message, and they do
    >acknowledge there's a problem - something to the effect of "Currently some
    >customers may be experiencing delays in receiving e-mails. Technicians are
    >working on this problem and we hope to have it resolved as soon as
    >possible".

    I just got my first four emails, all spam. Interesting the first one
    was received by my domain hoster at 11:23 yesterday, it sat their
    queued until Xtra's mail server finally accepted it at 4:26 yesterday
    & I get it at 1pm today. 25 1/2 hours for an email.....

    >Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later. This is the most prolonged
    >outage for quite some time.

    Aye, it is....unusual even for Xtra. Wonder what the problem is, I've
    heard Xtra aren't the only ones having troubles.

    Gavin

    Gavin Tunney, Sep 10, 2003
  4. Gavin Tunney

    Adam Banks Guest

    Hmm ... I'm with Maxnet and am also experiencing problems. Basically,
    nothing from outside NZ seems to be coming through.

    Could this be some sort of a routing problem that's affecting more
    than one ISP?

    Adam.

    Adam Banks, Sep 10, 2003
  5. Gavin Tunney

    Enkidu Guest

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 22:08:26 GMT, (Gavin Tunney)
    wrote:

    >Typical cryptic & uninformative message on their help page...
    >
    >Issue: Receiving Email
    >Period: Intermittent
    >
    >Their email has been totally down for me since early yesterday
    >evening....hardly what one could call intermittent. Just wondering if
    >this was NZ wide or localised, has anyone been getting their mail ok?

    I've got *heaps* of mail backing up for Xtra users....

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    that the conspiracy is working.

    Enkidu, Sep 10, 2003
  6. Gavin Tunney

    Olof Olsson Guest

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 09:25:10 GMT, (Gavin Tunney)
    wrote:

    >One interesting side effect of a prolonged outage like this is the
    >ISPs with mail queued waiting for Xtra will have started returning
    >mail to sender after a set period, and most of that would be spam.
    >Since most spam has invalid return addresses one wonders how much of
    >it is now bouncing around the 'net looking for a home...

    This is unlikely. ISPs would have a minimum of 3 days before bouncing
    mail. Clear.net has a 5 day setting.

    --Olof

    Olof Olsson <>
    There is a difference between knowing the
    path and walking the path -- Morpheus

    Olof Olsson, Sep 11, 2003