    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    up 0:37, 1 user, load average: 0.47, 0.29, 0.28

    Malcolm, Oct 10, 2007

  2. Malcolm

    XPD Guest

    "Malcolm" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/4233966a28.html
    >
    > There are reports this morning of Xtra customers unable to access their
    > email through its recently revamped YahooXtra service.

    Here we go again....

    XPD, Oct 10, 2007

  3. Malcolm

    Cima Guest

    On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 09:54:43 +1300, "XPD" <> wrote:

    >"Malcolm" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.stuff.co.nz/4233966a28.html
    >>
    >> There are reports this morning of Xtra customers unable to access their
    >> email through its recently revamped YahooXtra service.

    >Here we go again....

    Nice description on their status page!

    "Service Announcement
    Customers may be experiencing difficulty accessing email via Outlook and Outlook
    Express. Webmail fully functional. Technicians are investigating."

    So..... any other email client will work ok? ;-)

    Cima, Oct 10, 2007
  4. Malcolm

    peterwn Guest

    On Oct 11, 9:47 am, Malcolm <> wrote:
    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/4233966a28.html
    >
    > There are reports this morning of Xtra customers unable to access their
    > email through its recently revamped YahooXtra service.

    By the way, what is the spam situation on Xtra E-mail?

    On Tuesday a.m. there was a DSL 'downage' affecting an outfit whose
    computers I help look after (connected to downtown Wellington
    exchange). If was fixed by late afternoon when I returned to the
    premises to check up. There were 50 banked up e-mails half of which
    were spam, and about a third of these were offensive (since women
    mainly use the connection in question). Is this normal or 'once off'.

    peterwn, Oct 11, 2007
  5. In article <>, says...
    > "Service Announcement
    > Customers may be experiencing difficulty accessing email via Outlook and Outlook
    > Express. Webmail fully functional. Technicians are investigating."
    >
    > So..... any other email client will work ok? ;-)

    "Email client? What is an email client? "
    "You mean, email is possible without Outlook???"

    -P. (insert smiley for the humour impaired)

    Peter Huebner, Oct 11, 2007
  6. In article <>,
    says...

    > By the way, what is the spam situation on Xtra E-mail?

    I don't know what it's like this week, but last week a couple of xtra users
    whose machines I work on from time to time were getting shitloads.

    Several people I know are getting very very sick of xtra, especially with that
    dumb webmail situation. Who wants to jump through all those hoops to access
    their webmail from a friend's or relative's computer when away from home.
    What's the effin' point?

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Oct 11, 2007
  7. Malcolm

    Cima Guest

    On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 15:14:19 +1300, Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> By the way, what is the spam situation on Xtra E-mail?
    >>

    >I don't know what it's like this week, but last week a couple of xtra users
    >whose machines I work on from time to time were getting shitloads.

    Same here. They should also check their webmail, as when this disaster started a
    lot of legit mail was dumped into the spam folder. Real good system this Bubble!

    Cima, Oct 11, 2007
  8. Malcolm

    John Guest

    "Cima" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 15:14:19 +1300, Peter Huebner <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >> says...
    >>>
    >>> By the way, what is the spam situation on Xtra E-mail?
    >>>

    >>I don't know what it's like this week, but last week a couple of xtra
    >>users
    >>whose machines I work on from time to time were getting shitloads.

    > Same here. They should also check their webmail, as when this disaster
    > started a
    > lot of legit mail was dumped into the spam folder. Real good system this
    > Bubble!

    The only good thing is that it allows for unlimited storage, although what
    is unlimited as harddrives do have maximum capacities.

    Because their servers are now operated by yahoo, and offshore, they don't
    have as much control over problems as they used to. I guess that is one of
    the costs of contracting out.

    John, Oct 11, 2007
  9. In article <>, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    >In article <>, says...
    >> "Service Announcement
    >> Customers may be experiencing difficulty accessing email via Outlook and

    > Outlook
    >> Express. Webmail fully functional. Technicians are investigating."
    >>
    >> So..... any other email client will work ok? ;-)

    >"Email client? What is an email client? "
    >"You mean, email is possible without Outlook???"
    >
    >-P. (insert smiley for the humour impaired)

    Silly Peter. Email = outlook. Everyone knows that.

    :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 11, 2007
  10. Malcolm

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:04:58 +1300, in message <>,
    Cima wrote:

    > Nice description on their status page!
    >
    > "Service Announcement
    > Customers may be experiencing difficulty accessing email via Outlook and Outlook
    > Express. Webmail fully functional. Technicians are investigating."
    >
    > So..... any other email client will work ok? ;-)

    I have had no problems using Forté Agent to download my mail from Xtra.
    I've downloaded mail every day this week, including today.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Oct 11, 2007
  11. Mark Robinson, Oct 11, 2007
  12. Malcolm

    Enkidu Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <>, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    >> In article <>, says...
    >>> "Service Announcement
    >>> Customers may be experiencing difficulty accessing email via Outlook and

    >> Outlook
    >>> Express. Webmail fully functional. Technicians are investigating."
    >>>
    >>> So..... any other email client will work ok? ;-)

    >> "Email client? What is an email client? "
    >> "You mean, email is possible without Outlook???"
    >>
    >> -P. (insert smiley for the humour impaired)

    > Silly Peter. Email = outlook. Everyone knows that.

    No! Email = Outlook express. Everyone knows that.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Oct 11, 2007
  13. Malcolm

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <470deb3f$>,
    says...
    > Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > > In article <>, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    > >> In article <>, says...
    > >> Outlook

    > >> "Email client? What is an email client? "
    > >> "You mean, email is possible without Outlook???"
    > >>
    > >> -P. (insert smiley for the humour impaired)

    > > Silly Peter. Email = outlook. Everyone knows that.
    > >

    > No! Email = Outlook express. Everyone knows that.

    What's Outlook Express. Oh... you mean Microsoft Mail :)

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Oct 11, 2007
  14. Malcolm

    Enkidu Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <470deb3f$>,
    > says...
    >> Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    >>> Silly Peter. Email = outlook. Everyone knows that.
    >>>

    >> No! Email = Outlook express. Everyone knows that.

    > What's Outlook Express. Oh... you mean Microsoft Mail :)

    Duh! I hope that's a joke. MS Mail was a mail *system* not a mail
    *client*. Predecessor of MS Exchange.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Oct 11, 2007
  15. In article <470e8808$>, says...
    > Duh! I hope that's a joke. MS Mail was a mail *system* not a mail
    > *client*. Predecessor of MS Exchange.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Nightmares, both of them. I used to know a MS troubleshooter in Europe who
    looked after corporate clients sorting problems with those two ... (s)he had a
    few stories to tell. And lots of colourful language :) Taught me a thing or
    three as well.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Oct 11, 2007
  16. Malcolm

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <470e8808$>,
    says...
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    > > In article <470deb3f$>,
    > > says...

    > >> No! Email = Outlook express. Everyone knows that.

    > > What's Outlook Express. Oh... you mean Microsoft Mail :)
    > >

    > Duh! I hope that's a joke. MS Mail was a mail *system* not a mail
    > *client*. Predecessor of MS Exchange.

    No, Windows Mail (sorry), the renamed OE for Vista (actually a cut down
    version of Outlook by the looks). And it looks good too.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Oct 11, 2007
  17. Malcolm

    brazen Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message

    > "Cima" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 15:14:19 +1300, Peter Huebner <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <>,
    >>> says...

    >>>I don't know what it's like this week, but last week a couple of xtra
    >>>users
    >>>whose machines I work on from time to time were getting shitloads.

    >> Same here. They should also check their webmail, as when this disaster
    >> started a
    >> lot of legit mail was dumped into the spam folder. Real good system this
    >> Bubble!
    >>

    > The only good thing is that it allows for unlimited storage, although what
    > is unlimited as harddrives do have maximum capacities.
    >
    > Because their servers are now operated by yahoo, and offshore, they don't
    > have as much control over problems as they used to. I guess that is one of
    > the costs of contracting out.

    They dont have *any* control - any contact I have had with them has got the
    end result of "we have to wait for Yahoo to deal with it".

    Shocking service!

    Gay

    brazen, Oct 12, 2007
  18. Malcolm

    Enkidu Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <470e8808$>,
    > says...
    >> Duh! I hope that's a joke. MS Mail was a mail *system* not a mail
    >> *client*. Predecessor of MS Exchange.

    > Nightmares, both of them. I used to know a MS troubleshooter in
    > Europe who looked after corporate clients sorting problems with those
    > two ... (s)he had a few stories to tell. And lots of colourful
    > language :) Taught me a thing or three as well.

    I used to look after Exchange. Prior to Ex2000 it was rubbish. Ex2000
    and after was first class (though not simple to look after). There are
    ways to screw up Ex2000, but you have to work at it.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Oct 12, 2007
  19. Malcolm

    CM Guest

    On 11 Oct, 15:09, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    > In article <>, says...
    >
    > > "Service Announcement
    > > Customers may be experiencing difficulty accessing email via Outlook and Outlook
    > > Express. Webmail fully functional. Technicians are investigating."

    > > So..... any other email client will work ok? ;-)

    > "Email client? What is an email client? "
    > "You mean, email is possible without Outlook???"
    >
    > -P. (insert smiley for the humour impaired)

    > firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com

    How many people actually use a client (particularly Outlook) as
    opposed to webmail. I mean I know the webmail sucks but do the
    majority of ppl actually use a client? Personally I just use webmail
    but I use a client on my pda.

    CM, Oct 12, 2007