    domain name.

    And don't get me started on their pricing for .com domains... ($NZ171.50 per
    year compared with eg GoDaddy US$8.95).
    Chris Hope, Aug 10, 2004

  2. Chris Hope

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    news:1092119172_119313@216.128.74.129...
    > Wow. I knew Xtra was a ripoff for domain names but I just found out it's
    > even worse. Not only do they charge $14+GST per MONTH for a .nz domain
    > name, but they charge $70 to set it up in the first place or $50 to
    > transfer from another registrar. The last two are free from any decent
    > registrar and you should be paying $40 tops per YEAR for a New Zealad
    > domain name.
    >
    > And don't get me started on their pricing for .com domains... ($NZ171.50

    per
    > year compared with eg GoDaddy US$8.95).

    Well, I'm mixed on this one :)

    Yes its true xtra (and most of the other major ISPs) charge outrageous
    prices for this. But on the other hand, we live in a free capitalist
    society - so xtra (and others) are entitled to charge whatever they want.

    The other side of the coin is, of course, there are many cheaper
    alternatives - people need to learn to "shop around".

    Although, I can see Teresa G. thinking.......... I wonder if we buy out all
    the competition, we can REALLY stiff the people.

    RJ out.
    Ryan Jacobs, Aug 10, 2004

  3. Chris Hope

    Collector Guest

    Chris Hope said the following on 10/08/2004 18:25:
    > Wow. I knew Xtra was a ripoff for domain names but I just found out it's
    > even worse. Not only do they charge $14+GST per MONTH for a .nz domain
    > name, but they charge $70 to set it up in the first place or $50 to
    > transfer from another registrar. The last two are free from any decent
    > registrar and you should be paying $40 tops per YEAR for a New Zealad
    > domain name.
    >
    > And don't get me started on their pricing for .com domains... ($NZ171.50 per
    > year compared with eg GoDaddy US$8.95).

    You have just discovered the fact of it, typical Telescum rip off.
    My ISP charges $3 a month for my domain and advanced email on it and
    another domain I have costs $1.95 a month. Register a domain I think
    they charge $32.
    I went down the price question with xtra when a client who was connected
    via them wanted to have a domain name, it cost xtra a customer and I
    suspect will continue to for as long as the keep gougng customers
    Collector, Aug 10, 2004
  4. Chris Hope

    Chris Hope Guest

    Ryan Jacobs wrote:

    > "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    >> Wow. I knew Xtra was a ripoff for domain names but I just found out it's
    >> even worse. Not only do they charge $14+GST per MONTH for a .nz domain
    >> name, but they charge $70 to set it up in the first place or $50 to
    >> transfer from another registrar. The last two are free from any decent
    >> registrar and you should be paying $40 tops per YEAR for a New Zealad
    >> domain name.
    >>
    >> And don't get me started on their pricing for .com domains... ($NZ171.50

    > per
    >> year compared with eg GoDaddy US$8.95).
    >>

    > Well, I'm mixed on this one :)
    >
    > Yes its true xtra (and most of the other major ISPs) charge outrageous
    > prices for this. But on the other hand, we live in a free capitalist
    > society - so xtra (and others) are entitled to charge whatever they want.
    >
    > The other side of the coin is, of course, there are many cheaper
    > alternatives - people need to learn to "shop around".
    >
    > Although, I can see Teresa G. thinking.......... I wonder if we buy out
    > all the competition, we can REALLY stiff the people.

    I don't disagree with you (about being able to charge what they want), but
    unfortunately a *lot* of people who register their first domain don't know
    or think to shop around. Xtra is their ISP and so they go to their ISP to
    register their domain and they get ripped off because of it.
    Chris Hope, Aug 10, 2004
  5. Chris Hope

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    > Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    >

    > > "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    > >> Wow. I knew Xtra was a ripoff for domain names but I just found out

    it's
    > >> even worse. Not only do they charge $14+GST per MONTH for a .nz domain
    > >> name, but they charge $70 to set it up in the first place or $50 to
    > >> transfer from another registrar. The last two are free from any decent
    > >> registrar and you should be paying $40 tops per YEAR for a New Zealad
    > >> domain name.
    > >>
    > >> And don't get me started on their pricing for .com domains...

    ($NZ171.50
    > > per
    > >> year compared with eg GoDaddy US$8.95).
    > >>

    > > Well, I'm mixed on this one :)
    > >
    > > Yes its true xtra (and most of the other major ISPs) charge outrageous
    > > prices for this. But on the other hand, we live in a free capitalist
    > > society - so xtra (and others) are entitled to charge whatever they

    want.

    > > The other side of the coin is, of course, there are many cheaper
    > > alternatives - people need to learn to "shop around".
    > >
    > > Although, I can see Teresa G. thinking.......... I wonder if we buy out
    > > all the competition, we can REALLY stiff the people.

    > I don't disagree with you (about being able to charge what they want), but
    > unfortunately a *lot* of people who register their first domain don't know
    > or think to shop around. Xtra is their ISP and so they go to their ISP to
    > register their domain and they get ripped off because of it.

    Yeah your right. That's the thing that really confuses me though.

    For example, anyone who buys a car, buys a washing machine, gets an
    extension on their house, etc, etc............

    ......... shops around for the best deal.

    But when it comes to computers/internet/etc people don't shop around for the
    best deal

    WTF is with that? Is it something to do with people being blinded with
    technology, or people have TOO much money, or some other reason? I don't
    know the answer - it just doesn't make sense.

    RJ out.
    Ryan Jacobs, Aug 10, 2004
  6. Chris Hope

    Chris Hope Guest

    Ryan Jacobs wrote:

    >> > The other side of the coin is, of course, there are many cheaper
    >> > alternatives - people need to learn to "shop around".
    >> >
    >> > Although, I can see Teresa G. thinking.......... I wonder if we buy out
    >> > all the competition, we can REALLY stiff the people.

    >> I don't disagree with you (about being able to charge what they want),
    >> but unfortunately a *lot* of people who register their first domain don't
    >> know or think to shop around. Xtra is their ISP and so they go to their
    >> ISP to register their domain and they get ripped off because of it.

    > Yeah your right. That's the thing that really confuses me though.
    >
    > For example, anyone who buys a car, buys a washing machine, gets an
    > extension on their house, etc, etc............
    >
    > ........ shops around for the best deal.
    >
    > But when it comes to computers/internet/etc people don't shop around for
    > the best deal
    >
    > WTF is with that? Is it something to do with people being blinded with
    > technology, or people have TOO much money, or some other reason? I don't
    > know the answer - it just doesn't make sense.

    Good point. Maybe they don't know *how* to shop around? This isn't
    necessarily an answer - I'd like to know why as well. (Maybe they don't
    know that Google is their friend... try 'domain names new zealand' and you
    get some nice prices in the ads down the side.)
    Chris Hope, Aug 10, 2004
  7. Chris Hope

    paora Guest

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:53:54 +1200, "Ryan Jacobs"
    <> wrote:

    >WTF is with that? Is it something to do with people being blinded with
    >technology, or people have TOO much money, or some other reason? I don't
    >know the answer - it just doesn't make sense.

    They're scared to change, thinking it's too complicated to do so or
    they don't know there's better or they don't know how to do it.

    Some people don't really like using computers and only do it out of
    necessity and trying to make helpful suggestions to improve their use
    of them often falls on deaf ears or unco-operative brains.

    " Politicians and Diapers should be changed with regularity, and for the same reasons. "
    paora, Aug 10, 2004
  8. Chris Hope

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "paora" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:53:54 +1200, "Ryan Jacobs"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >WTF is with that? Is it something to do with people being blinded with
    > >technology, or people have TOO much money, or some other reason? I don't
    > >know the answer - it just doesn't make sense.

    > They're scared to change, thinking it's too complicated to do so or
    > they don't know there's better or they don't know how to do it.
    >
    > Some people don't really like using computers and only do it out of
    > necessity

    Absolutely agree. Fear of the unknown seems to affect people strangely.

    >and trying to make helpful suggestions to improve their use
    > of them often falls on deaf ears or unco-operative brains.

    Alas, I think you're right. I used to try to "show the light" to "newbies".
    Invariably, after they ignore advice - everything turns to s**t. And then
    they want help. Now, I only offer advice when it's requested. Oh, and I
    charge for it, lol.

    RJ out.
    Ryan Jacobs, Aug 10, 2004
  9. Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    >>They're scared to change, thinking it's too complicated to do so or
    >>they don't know there's better or they don't know how to do it.
    >>Some people don't really like using computers and only do it out of
    >>necessity

    > Absolutely agree. Fear of the unknown seems to affect people strangely.

    Im the same with car stuff, I trust my mechanic doing what is needed as
    I know nothing about it.

    I'd shop around, but I don't know whats wrong with it sometimes, so I
    just pull in and murmer about a loud gravel like noise coming from the
    engine end of the car(kidding, but you get the idea.).

    > Alas, I think you're right. I used to try to "show the light" to "newbies".
    > Invariably, after they ignore advice - everything turns to s**t. And then
    > they want help. Now, I only offer advice when it's requested. Oh, and I
    > charge for it, lol.

    ahem... me too.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 10, 2004
  10. Chris Hope

    Kookaburra Guest

    Chris Hope <> wrote in

    > Wow. I knew Xtra was a ripoff for domain names but I just found out
    > it's even worse. Not only do they charge $14+GST per MONTH for a .nz
    > domain name, but they charge $70 to set it up in the first place or
    > $50 to transfer from another registrar. The last two are free from any
    > decent registrar and you should be paying $40 tops per YEAR for a New
    > Zealad domain name.
    >
    > And don't get me started on their pricing for .com domains...
    > ($NZ171.50 per year compared with eg GoDaddy US$8.95).

    1st Domains are $25 + GST and if you only want mail accounts you can
    transfer to registerdirect after 5 days and get free 10 x POP3 Email / IMAP
    Accounts, Unlimited Email Forwarding, Advanced URL Redirection etc for the
    first 12 months.

    Cheers, kooky
    Kookaburra, Aug 10, 2004
  11. Chris Hope

    Divine Guest

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:25:05 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:

    > Wow. I knew Xtra was a ripoff for domain names but I just found out it's
    > even worse. Not only do they charge $14+GST per MONTH for a .nz domain
    > name, but they charge $70 to set it up in the first place or $50 to
    > transfer from another registrar. The last two are free from any decent
    > registrar and you should be paying $40 tops per YEAR for a New Zealad
    > domain name.
    >
    > And don't get me started on their pricing for .com domains... ($NZ171.50
    > per year compared with eg GoDaddy US$8.95).

    Basically, Telecom thinks it has an obligation to provide those services.
    It doesn't really want to do so. So it charges through the nose, hoping
    that people will either go somewhere else, or else meekly lie down
    spreadding their legs wide ready for a good pounding.

    A bit like a pub having a sign on the wall saying "food available at all
    times" but showing no menu or price list, and only the manager being
    able to say what food actually is for sale, and needing to turn on the
    lights and ignite the stove and unpadlock the fridge in the kitchen and
    only THEN cooking the food - all after each order for food.

    Divine

    --
    "What some people have against Open Source Software is what Fundamentalist
    Christians or Moslems have against Knowledge."
    Divine, Aug 10, 2004
  12. Chris Hope

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:45:16 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:

    > I don't disagree with you (about being able to charge what they want), but
    > unfortunately a *lot* of people who register their first domain don't know
    > or think to shop around. Xtra is their ISP and so they go to their ISP to
    > register their domain and they get ripped off because of it.

    Really, it amazes me how many people in this country of ours are not
    switiched on enough to do some home work before parting with there hard
    earned cash.

    If they get "ripped off" it is there choice.

    This country used to the attitude of doing it ourselves, we were savvy.
    Now it appears that the dumbing down has/is taking its toll.

    If one thinks that rips off are happening, then it is ones duty to
    explain/educate the "masses" of the options/facts.
    Gordon, Aug 11, 2004
  13. Chris Hope

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 19:57:46 +1200, Ryan Jacobs wrote:

    > Now, I only offer advice when it's requested.

    The saying goes, Do not offer advice unless it is asked for.
    Gordon, Aug 11, 2004
  14. Chris Hope

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 20:29:43 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    >>>They're scared to change, thinking it's too complicated to do so or
    >>>they don't know there's better or they don't know how to do it.
    >>>Some people don't really like using computers and only do it out of
    >>>necessity

    >> Absolutely agree. Fear of the unknown seems to affect people strangely.

    > Im the same with car stuff, I trust my mechanic doing what is needed as
    > I know nothing about it.

    Note the word trust, very important. Your mechanic has done a good job in
    the past I take it, she has given good service and knows darn well that
    you will disappear to the oppostion should you get ripped off.
    Gordon, Aug 11, 2004
  15. Chris Hope

    thing Guest

    Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    > "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Wow. I knew Xtra was a ripoff for domain names but I just found out it's
    >>even worse. Not only do they charge $14+GST per MONTH for a .nz domain
    >>name, but they charge $70 to set it up in the first place or $50 to
    >>transfer from another registrar. The last two are free from any decent
    >>registrar and you should be paying $40 tops per YEAR for a New Zealad
    >>domain name.
    >>
    >>And don't get me started on their pricing for .com domains... ($NZ171.50

    > per
    >
    >>year compared with eg GoDaddy US$8.95).
    >>

    > Well, I'm mixed on this one :)
    >
    > Yes its true xtra (and most of the other major ISPs) charge outrageous
    > prices for this. But on the other hand, we live in a free capitalist
    > society - so xtra (and others) are entitled to charge whatever they want.
    >
    > The other side of the coin is, of course, there are many cheaper
    > alternatives - people need to learn to "shop around".
    >
    > Although, I can see Teresa G. thinking.......... I wonder if we buy out all
    > the competition, we can REALLY stiff the people.
    >
    > RJ out.

    Clear used to, if it still does not rip you off. You could get a domain
    directly of domainz and then use www.dyndns.org for your dns service.
    They charge a one off fee at $30US I think but thats for life.....

    Lots of deals about if one is prepared to look....

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Aug 11, 2004