    What's others experiences with it... good, bad, indifferent?

    Cheers

    Gavin
    Gavin Tunney, Nov 9, 2004

  2. Gavin Tunney

    Chris Hope Guest

    Gavin Tunney wrote:

    > Just curious to know how others find Xtra's DNS server. I find it
    > virtually unusable, it can't even find the Xtra POP3 server half the
    > time & you often get websites not displaying or really bad lags when
    > connecting to sites. These days I use someone else's DNS server but
    > just tried Xtras again to see if it had improved & nope... still just
    > as bad.
    >
    > What's others experiences with it... good, bad, indifferent?

    I found their DNS to be total crap. They randomly seem to not be able to
    resolve the domain you want at all. For a while I thought there was a
    problem with my Internet connection and then realised it was actually the
    DNS servers. So I installed a caching DNS server on my main desktop and set
    up all my machines on my home office network to use the DNS server on this
    machine. No problems since then. Whether or not this is a problem for all
    Xtra users I have no idea.

    I don't use their POP server (I have my own machine online that I get my
    mail from) so have no idea if it's good or bad.

    Chris Hope, Nov 9, 2004

  3. Gavin Tunney

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    Gavin Tunney <> wrote:

    > What's others experiences with it... good, bad, indifferent?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Gavin

    Yep, its crap.
    whoisthis, Nov 9, 2004
  4. On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 19:53:03 +1300, Gavin Tunney wrote:

    > Just curious to know how others find Xtra's DNS server. I find it
    > virtually unusable, it can't even find the Xtra POP3 server half the
    > time & you often get websites not displaying or really bad lags when
    > connecting to sites. These days I use someone else's DNS server but
    > just tried Xtras again to see if it had improved & nope... still just
    > as bad.
    >
    > What's others experiences with it... good, bad, indifferent?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Gavin

    It used to be so bad when I was with Xtra Jetsurf that I switched to using
    Paradise's DNS server...
    wogers nemesis, Nov 9, 2004
  5. Gavin Tunney

    Steve Guest

    Gavin Tunney wrote:
    > Just curious to know how others find Xtra's DNS server. I find it
    > virtually unusable, it can't even find the Xtra POP3 server half the
    > time & you often get websites not displaying or really bad lags when
    > connecting to sites. These days I use someone else's DNS server but
    > just tried Xtras again to see if it had improved & nope... still just
    > as bad.
    >
    > What's others experiences with it... good, bad, indifferent?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Gavin

    Which one?

    ns_name_01: alien.xtra.co.nz
    ns_ip4_01: 202.27.184.3
    ns_name_02: terminator2.xtra.co.nz
    ns_ip4_02: 202.27.158.38
    ns_name_03: terminator3.xtra.co.nz
    ns_ip4_03: 202.27.156.70
    ns_name_04: terminator.xtra.co.nz
    ns_ip4_04: 202.27.184.5

    Steve
    Steve, Nov 9, 2004
  6. Gavin Tunney

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 07:00:45 +1300, Steve <> wrote:

    >Gavin Tunney wrote:
    >> Just curious to know how others find Xtra's DNS server. I find it
    >> virtually unusable, it can't even find the Xtra POP3 server half the
    >> time & you often get websites not displaying or really bad lags when
    >> connecting to sites. These days I use someone else's DNS server but
    >> just tried Xtras again to see if it had improved & nope... still just
    >> as bad.
    >>
    >> What's others experiences with it... good, bad, indifferent?
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Gavin

    >Which one?
    >
    >ns_name_01: alien.xtra.co.nz
    >ns_ip4_01: 202.27.184.3

    My router always picks up this one, in Auck.

    >ns_name_02: terminator2.xtra.co.nz
    >ns_ip4_02: 202.27.158.38
    >ns_name_03: terminator3.xtra.co.nz
    >ns_ip4_03: 202.27.156.70
    >ns_name_04: terminator.xtra.co.nz
    >ns_ip4_04: 202.27.184.5

    Didn't realise they had four, thought they only had two. Wonder if
    it's a universal problem across all of them or just one.

    GT
    Gavin Tunney, Nov 9, 2004
  7. Gavin Tunney

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 20:12:26 +1300, Chris Hope
    <> wrote:

    >Gavin Tunney wrote:
    >
    >> Just curious to know how others find Xtra's DNS server. I find it
    >> virtually unusable, it can't even find the Xtra POP3 server half the
    >> time & you often get websites not displaying or really bad lags when
    >> connecting to sites. These days I use someone else's DNS server but
    >> just tried Xtras again to see if it had improved & nope... still just
    >> as bad.
    >>
    >> What's others experiences with it... good, bad, indifferent?

    >I found their DNS to be total crap. They randomly seem to not be able to
    >resolve the domain you want at all. For a while I thought there was a
    >problem with my Internet connection and then realised it was actually the
    >DNS servers. So I installed a caching DNS server on my main desktop and set
    >up all my machines on my home office network to use the DNS server on this
    >machine. No problems since then.

    I found much the same, but rather than use my own DNS I just use
    another ISPs DNS server... works fine.

    >Whether or not this is a problem for all Xtra users I have no idea.

    Nor I. I was wondering if it's just the DNS server that I get
    allocated in my area or if it's all of them.

    >I don't use their POP server (I have my own machine online that I get my
    >mail from) so have no idea if it's good or bad.

    It's not so much their POP server, their email is lamentable but
    that's another story. Their DNS server frequently can't even resolve
    pop3.xtra.co.nz, email client just sits there with the message
    'finding host...."

    What interests me is just why it's been faulty for so long, their DNS
    has been crap for a good couple of years now. One would think surely
    they know about it, in which case they're deliberately not fixing
    problems like this.... beancounters refusing to spend the money on
    decent hardware perhaps. But on reflection it occured the ivory towers
    have probably managed to isolate themselves so thoroughly from the
    coalface that they never even get to know about issues like this. I
    tried getting their helpdesk to pass me onto someone technical once,
    so I could tell them their DNS has problems, I won't repeat how that
    went.

    Cheers

    GT
    Gavin Tunney, Nov 9, 2004
  8. Gavin Tunney

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "Gavin Tunney" <> wrote in message

    > Didn't realise they had four, thought they only had two. Wonder if
    > it's a universal problem across all of them or just one.

    Hmm, unless something is real wrong with their SOA and zone transfers, i
    would say it's affecting all of them. That said, i've always used alien and
    terminator as secondarys and never really had too many problems.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"
    Mr Scebe, Nov 10, 2004