    So ! When the f.... did these change ? Did Xtra tell anyone ?

    Regards

    Justin

    Justin, Jan 26, 2005

  2. Justin

    Jay Guest

    "Justin" <4free.co.nz> wrote in message
    news:41f74d71$...
    > Was at a site today where their server was set to use 202.27.184.3 & 5 for
    > DNS.
    >
    > Couldn't understand why name resolution was not working and these IP's
    > wouldn't ping.
    >
    > So I Terminal Serviced over to another client for whom I knew the IP
    > address. Looked up Xtra help and found the DNS IPs had changed to
    > 202.27.158.40 and 202.27.156.72.
    >
    > So ! When the f.... did these change ? Did Xtra tell anyone ?

    No idea, I've always stuck to alien + terminator for pcs I've owned and/or
    set-up just in case of such an eventuality.
    Jay

    Jay, Jan 26, 2005

  3. Justin

    froggy Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:57:40 +1300, Justin wrote:

    > Was at a site today where their server was set to use 202.27.184.3 & 5
    > for DNS.
    >
    > Couldn't understand why name resolution was not working and these IP's
    > wouldn't ping.
    >
    > So I Terminal Serviced over to another client for whom I knew the IP
    > address. Looked up Xtra help and found the DNS IPs had changed to
    > 202.27.158.40 and 202.27.156.72.
    >
    > So ! When the f.... did these change ? Did Xtra tell anyone ?
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Justin

    nslookup -sil xtra.co.nz
    Server: 202.27.184.3
    Address: 202.27.184.3#53

    Name: xtra.co.nz
    Address: 202.27.184.102

    my dns is woking fine on those servers...

    froggy, Jan 26, 2005
  4. Justin wrote:
    > Was at a site today where their server was set to use 202.27.184.3 & 5
    > for DNS.
    >
    > Couldn't understand why name resolution was not working and these IP's
    > wouldn't ping.
    >
    > So I Terminal Serviced over to another client for whom I knew the IP
    > address. Looked up Xtra help and found the DNS IPs had changed to
    > 202.27.158.40 and 202.27.156.72.
    >
    > So ! When the f.... did these change ? Did Xtra tell anyone ?

    Lets hope this means an improvement. The Xtra DNS servers (Alien and
    Terminator) are shocking, and at certain times almost completely
    unresponsive.

    We have long given up using them. They were the most common cause of
    problems with Xtra in my previous position. Followed closely by Xtra
    international data outages and line quality issues.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jan 26, 2005
  5. Justin

    Jay Guest

    "The Other Guy" <> wrote in message
    > Justin wrote:
    >> Was at a site today where their server was set to use 202.27.184.3 & 5
    >> for DNS.
    >>
    >> Couldn't understand why name resolution was not working and these IP's
    >> wouldn't ping.
    >>
    >> So I Terminal Serviced over to another client for whom I knew the IP
    >> address. Looked up Xtra help and found the DNS IPs had changed to
    >> 202.27.158.40 and 202.27.156.72.
    >>
    >> So ! When the f.... did these change ? Did Xtra tell anyone ?

    > Lets hope this means an improvement. The Xtra DNS servers (Alien and
    > Terminator) are shocking, and at certain times almost completely
    > unresponsive.

    I've not had any problems with them at home (within reason).
    That said, in my job before my current I set the company up as a hosting
    (+DNS) provider. Our pipe was a bit on the tempremental side which led to
    all sorts of strife so maybe I'm basing my experiences on what was then.

    Jay

    Jay, Jan 26, 2005
  6. Jay wrote:
    > I've not had any problems with them at home (within reason).
    > That said, in my job before my current I set the company up as a hosting
    > (+DNS) provider. Our pipe was a bit on the tempremental side which led to
    > all sorts of strife so maybe I'm basing my experiences on what was then.

    Although I have not confirmed this myself (Due to the fact that I don't
    use Xtra at home, nor will I ever), it appears the problems occur mainly
    in the middle of the day.

    A few months ago I was working on some DNS code. At the rate the Xtra
    server was running, it was going to take several hours to complete as
    the timeouts were being hit for most of the lookups. Our local DNS
    server, doing its own lookups via a low-budget ADSL connection, would
    reliably resolve almost all of them.

    In my new position we now use the Orcon DNS servers and an internal DNS
    (Although I think it is only configured to forward at this stage).

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jan 26, 2005
  7. Justin wrote:

    > Was at a site today where their server was set to use 202.27.184.3 & 5
    > for DNS.
    >
    > Couldn't understand why name resolution was not working and these IP's
    > wouldn't ping.
    >
    > So I Terminal Serviced over to another client for whom I knew the IP
    > address. Looked up Xtra help and found the DNS IPs had changed to
    > 202.27.158.40 and 202.27.156.72.
    >
    > So ! When the f.... did these change ? Did Xtra tell anyone ?

    errr, those other two(Alien and terminator) work fine.

    might be a slow change over.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 26, 2005