    How long will it take there shitty dns to realise that its not authoritive and
    drop the records? They are in essence impersonating someone elses authority by
    providing DNS to there clients when they are not authoritive.

    Richard, Aug 8, 2005

  2. Richard

    H.O.G Guest

    On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:48:49 +1200, Richard <> spoke
    these fine words:

    >Friend has bought a business, including a domain name, it was hosted with xtra,
    >now has being moved to another host within nz, but xtra are still resolving
    >internally on there DNS rather then getting the records from the correct name
    >servers.
    >
    >How long will it take there shitty dns to realise that its not authoritive and
    >drop the records? They are in essence impersonating someone elses authority by
    >providing DNS to there clients when they are not authoritive.

    How long has this been going?

    If longer than 24 hours, log it with their helpdesk - they're usually
    pretty good at resolving these sort of issues.

    H.O.G, Aug 8, 2005

  3. Richard

    Shane Guest

    On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:48:49 +1200, Richard wrote:

    > Friend has bought a business, including a domain name, it was hosted with
    > xtra, now has being moved to another host within nz, but xtra are still
    > resolving internally on there DNS rather then getting the records from the
    > correct name servers.
    >
    > How long will it take there shitty dns to realise that its not authoritive
    > and drop the records? They are in essence impersonating someone elses
    > authority by providing DNS to there clients when they are not authoritive.

    whats the TTL for the dns server?
    I usually make mine 24 hours, but you should check Xtras dns record with
    dig (or possibly nslookup)

    Shane, Aug 8, 2005
  4. Richard

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:48:49 +1200, Richard wrote:

    > Friend has bought a business, including a domain name, it was hosted with
    > xtra, now has being moved to another host within nz, but xtra are still
    > resolving internally on there DNS rather then getting the records from the
    > correct name servers.
    >
    > How long will it take there shitty dns to realise that its not authoritive
    > and drop the records?

    Probably never. My wifes business was in the same boat a while back after
    transferring away from Xtra and closing her account. You'll have to
    contact Xtra to get them to remove the zones.

    It was only months later that she figured out that she wasn't getting any
    email from Xtra users, and complained to Xtra that the issue got resolved.

    She eventually got the mail (Xtra had kept her mailboxes open too, despite
    the account being closed - so these customers didn't get a bounce either),
    but a lot of business and goodwill went begging as people assumed she was
    ignoring them.

    > They are in essence impersonating someone elses authority by providing
    > DNS to there clients when they are not authoritive.

    Yep - agreed.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Aug 9, 2005
  5. Richard

    Chris Hope Guest

    AD. wrote:

    > On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:48:49 +1200, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Friend has bought a business, including a domain name, it was hosted
    >> with xtra, now has being moved to another host within nz, but xtra
    >> are still resolving internally on there DNS rather then getting the
    >> records from the correct name servers.
    >>
    >> How long will it take there shitty dns to realise that its not
    >> authoritive and drop the records?

    > Probably never. My wifes business was in the same boat a while back
    > after transferring away from Xtra and closing her account. You'll have
    > to contact Xtra to get them to remove the zones.
    >
    > It was only months later that she figured out that she wasn't getting
    > any email from Xtra users, and complained to Xtra that the issue got
    > resolved.

    Yes - you often need to contact them to sort it out. I've always found
    them to be pretty helpful and responsive and the easiest way to sort it
    out is to email them. The address is soa at xtra dot co dot nz.

    Chris Hope, Aug 9, 2005