Xtra Dlink 302G+Linksys WRT54G nightmares!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by BigAl.NZ@gmail.com, Sep 10, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello folks,

    This is absolutely killing me. I am trying to get the following combo
    working:

    (Puter)----(Linksys Wireless Router)-------(Dllink)--------(Internet)

    In theory I should be able to put the Linksys in Automatic DHCP mode
    but for some reason it wont get a IP from the Dlink!!!

    I even tried to put the Dlink in bridge mode and then put the Linksys
    in PPPoE mode and make it login to xtra but that wouldnt work either.

    Finally I got it working with static IP, but I would like to get it
    working with DHCP.

    Anyone able to tell me what settings on the Dlink should change as I
    think thats where the problem is.

    Thanks

    -Al
    , Sep 10, 2006

  2. Damo Guest

    Big Al,

    You'll want Half-Bridge mode on the DSL-302g. This is not possible on
    the Xtra firmware but if you reflash it with the Australian stuff it
    will allow the option.

    The D-Link will manage the authentication (Although PPPoATM
    authentication is said the be possible by the next device in the chain,
    I have yet to see it ever in a successful configuration). The external
    IP is given to the routing device that asks for it via DHCP and traffic
    is sent to this computer.

    I have this exact setup at home (Although instead of a linksys I have an
    IPCop machine).

    Some really good information here: http://www.wlug.org.nz/DSL-302G

    Hopefully this helps you.

    - Damo