xtra.co.nz/neo/45454

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Geopelia, Dec 15, 2011.

  1. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    I got an email from system admin telling me to upgrade my account, which I
    suspected was spam.
    It told me to click on xtra.co.nz/neo/45454

    I didn't do that of course.

    It was supposed to be from Yahoo! New Zealand Technical Support Team.

    So I googled Yahoo! New Zealand Technical Support Team and got what seemed
    to be a genuine page to ask a question on, and I asked if it was a genuine
    email.

    I got a reply saying somebody was waiting to answer, and if I was satisfied
    with the answer (which after all only had to be Yes or No) I should pay $59.

    I had a lot of trouble trying to get the website to cancel, it kept asking
    if I wanted to navigate away from the page.

    What do you think of that?

    I'm just ignoring it of course.
    Geopelia, Dec 15, 2011

  2. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <jccl0e$i4v$>, , Geopelia
    says...

    > I got an email from system admin telling me to upgrade my account, which I
    > suspected was spam.
    > It told me to click on xtra.co.nz/neo/45454

    No such page. But I suspect it is not the link it would have gone to.
    To see where it would *really* take you - hover over the link (forget
    about what the link *says) - hover over it, and either beside the mouse,
    or down the bottom in the status bar - the *real* link will be visible.

    > I didn't do that of course.
    >
    > It was supposed to be from Yahoo! New Zealand Technical Support Team.
    >
    > So I googled Yahoo! New Zealand Technical Support Team and got what seemed
    > to be a genuine page to ask a question on, and I asked if it was a genuine
    > email.

    Yer what! If you want to get some info from xtra - go to Xtra. Go
    *directly* to Xtra - don't Google it!
    So you start at:
    http://www.telecom.co.nz/xtra

    Googling it and going to any link other than Xtra pages (and I'm not
    convinced *you* can tell, or know how to) - is only likely to get you on
    malicious pages again.

    > I got a reply saying somebody was waiting to answer, and if I was satisfied
    > with the answer (which after all only had to be Yes or No) I should pay $59.
    >
    > I had a lot of trouble trying to get the website to cancel, it kept asking
    > if I wanted to navigate away from the page.
    >
    > What do you think of that?
    >
    > I'm just ignoring it of course.

    You do that.

    Again... if you want to get info from Telecom/Xtra - go *directly* to
    their site and either search from there, or use their Support/Contact
    options to ask a question.

    http://www.telecom.co.nz/xtra

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Dec 15, 2011

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <jccl0e$i4v$>, , Geopelia
    > says...
    >>
    >> I got an email from system admin telling me to upgrade my account, which
    >> suspected was spam.
    >> It told me to click on xtra.co.nz/neo/45454

    > No such page. But I suspect it is not the link it would have gone to.
    > To see where it would *really* take you - hover over the link (forget
    > about what the link *says) - hover over it, and either beside the mouse,
    > or down the bottom in the status bar - the *real* link will be visible.
    >

    >> I didn't do that of course.
    >>
    >> It was supposed to be from Yahoo! New Zealand Technical Support Team.
    >>
    >> So I googled Yahoo! New Zealand Technical Support Team and got what
    >> seemed
    >> to be a genuine page to ask a question on, and I asked if it was a
    >> genuine
    >> email.

    > Yer what! If you want to get some info from xtra - go to Xtra. Go
    > *directly* to Xtra - don't Google it!
    > So you start at:
    > http://www.telecom.co.nz/xtra
    >
    > Googling it and going to any link other than Xtra pages (and I'm not
    > convinced *you* can tell, or know how to) - is only likely to get you on
    > malicious pages again.
    >

    >> I got a reply saying somebody was waiting to answer, and if I was
    >> satisfied
    >> with the answer (which after all only had to be Yes or No) I should pay
    >> $59.
    >>
    >> I had a lot of trouble trying to get the website to cancel, it kept
    >> asking
    >> if I wanted to navigate away from the page.
    >>
    >> What do you think of that?
    >>
    >> I'm just ignoring it of course.

    > You do that.
    >
    > Again... if you want to get info from Telecom/Xtra - go *directly* to
    > their site and either search from there, or use their Support/Contact
    > options to ask a question.
    >
    > http://www.telecom.co.nz/xtra

    Thank you. I'll do that.

    It looks as though the whole thing is a scam.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Dec 15, 2011
  4. On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 00:17:31 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >I got an email from system admin telling me to upgrade my account, which I
    >suspected was spam.
    >It told me to click on xtra.co.nz/neo/45454
    >
    >I didn't do that of course.
    >
    >It was supposed to be from Yahoo! New Zealand Technical Support Team.
    >
    >So I googled Yahoo! New Zealand Technical Support Team and got what seemed
    >to be a genuine page to ask a question on, and I asked if it was a genuine
    >email.
    >
    >I got a reply saying somebody was waiting to answer, and if I was satisfied
    >with the answer (which after all only had to be Yes or No) I should pay $59.
    >
    >I had a lot of trouble trying to get the website to cancel, it kept asking
    >if I wanted to navigate away from the page.
    >
    >What do you think of that?
    >
    >I'm just ignoring it of course.

    You seems to get conned all the time, I get 5 every week, just ignore
    them..

    like 3 or 4 ISP's, 3 or 4 Banks and the IRD the other day..
    Frank Williams, Dec 15, 2011
  5. Geopelia

    victor Guest

    On 16/12/2011 2:29 a.m., Frank Williams wrote:

    > You seems to get conned all the time, I get 5 every week, just ignore
    > them..
    >
    > like 3 or 4 ISP's, 3 or 4 Banks and the IRD the other day..

    With so many names, why are you surprised ?
    victor, Dec 15, 2011
  6. On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 10:24:11 +1300, victor <> wrote:

    >On 16/12/2011 2:29 a.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    >
    >> You seems to get conned all the time, I get 5 every week, just ignore
    >> them..
    >>
    >> like 3 or 4 ISP's, 3 or 4 Banks and the IRD the other day..
    >>

    >With so many names, why are you surprised ?

    No one Email Name..

    Try to think next time you post..
    Frank Williams, Dec 15, 2011
  7. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-12-15, Geopelia <> wrote:
    > I got an email from system admin telling me to upgrade my account, which I
    > suspected was spam.

    Now, did you wish to upgrade your account? Was this a cold call? If so I
    would have dumped it.

    Cold calling is about you paying money to them for something you do not
    want.

    Manners may never go out of style, but there are times when they need to be
    on leave.
    Gordon, Dec 16, 2011
  8. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-12-15, Frank Williams <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 10:24:11 +1300, victor <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 16/12/2011 2:29 a.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    >>
    >>> You seems to get conned all the time, I get 5 every week, just ignore
    >>> them..
    >>>
    >>> like 3 or 4 ISP's, 3 or 4 Banks and the IRD the other day..
    >>>

    >>With so many names, why are you surprised ?

    > No one Email Name..
    >
    > Try to think next time you post..

    Classic! Made my day
    Gordon, Dec 16, 2011
  9. Geopelia

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Frank Williams <> wrote in

    > You seems to get conned all the time, I get 5 every week, just ignore
    > them..
    >
    > like 3 or 4 ISP's, 3 or 4 Banks and the IRD the other day..

    I think you mean targeted, not conned. Conned means you actually pay the
    scam IMHO.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Dec 16, 2011
  10. Geopelia

    Richard Guest

    On 12/16/2011 12:40 AM, Dave Doe wrote:

    > Yer what! If you want to get some info from xtra - go to Xtra. Go
    > *directly* to Xtra - don't Google it!
    > So you start at:
    > http://www.telecom.co.nz/xtra
    >
    > Googling it and going to any link other than Xtra pages (and I'm not
    > convinced *you* can tell, or know how to) - is only likely to get you on
    > malicious pages again.

    Yeah, the problem is lots of "internet courses" teach people to Google
    for links for some bizarre reason.
    Richard, Dec 17, 2011
  11. Geopelia

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 16/12/2011 1:57 a.m., Geopelia wrote:
    > "Dave Doe"<> wrote in message
    >> In article<jccl0e$i4v$>, , Geopelia
    >> says...
    >>>
    >>> I got an email from system admin telling me to upgrade my account, which
    >>> suspected was spam.
    >>> It told me to click on xtra.co.nz/neo/45454

    > Thank you. I'll do that.
    >
    > It looks as though the whole thing is a scam.
    >
    > Geopelia

    I'm getting that feeling of deja vu all over again. How many times have
    you posted about such unrequested emails, always getting the same advice
    - that they are scams, and to ignore and delete them?
    Gib Bogle, Dec 18, 2011
  12. On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 15:41:46 +1300, Gib Bogle <>
    wrote:

    >On 16/12/2011 1:57 a.m., Geopelia wrote:
    >> "Dave Doe"<> wrote in message
    >>> In article<jccl0e$i4v$>, , Geopelia
    >>> says...

    >> Thank you. I'll do that.
    >>
    >> It looks as though the whole thing is a scam.
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    >I'm getting that feeling of deja vu all over again. How many times have
    >you posted about such unrequested emails, always getting the same advice
    >- that they are scams, and to ignore and delete them?

    I don't think this is a real person may be a Bot..?
    Frank Williams, Dec 18, 2011
  13. In article <jcdoho$rlq$>, victor <> wrote:
    >On 16/12/2011 2:29 a.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    >
    >> You seems to get conned all the time, I get 5 every week, just ignore
    >> them..
    >>
    >> like 3 or 4 ISP's, 3 or 4 Banks and the IRD the other day..
    >>

    >With so many names, why are you surprised ?

    ... I'm surprised that one of those names hasn't replied/been caught out.
    ... or is roger using personal knowledge here to warn against ? :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 19, 2011
  14. Geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Crash McBash wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 19:21:51 +1300, Frank Williams
    > <> wrote:
    >> On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 15:41:46 +1300, Gib Bogle
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> On 16/12/2011 1:57 a.m., Geopelia wrote:

    [snip]

    >>> I'm getting that feeling of deja vu all over again. How many times
    >>> have you posted about such unrequested emails, always getting the
    >>> same advice - that they are scams, and to ignore and delete them?

    >> I don't think this is a real person may be a Bot..?

    > I'm with Geo here. She is probably the oldest poster here and has
    > many times admitted to her lack of expertise. What is obvious to many
    > posters here may not be obvious to her. We don't need the implied
    > ridicule from Gib and Roger to further diminish the number of posters
    > here.

    +1
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    ~misfit~, Dec 19, 2011
  15. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message
    > On 16/12/2011 1:57 a.m., Geopelia wrote:
    >> "Dave Doe"<> wrote in message
    >>> In article<jccl0e$i4v$>, , Geopelia
    >>> says...

    >> Thank you. I'll do that.
    >>
    >> It looks as though the whole thing is a scam.
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    > I'm getting that feeling of deja vu all over again. How many times have
    > you posted about such unrequested emails, always getting the same advice -
    > that they are scams, and to ignore and delete them?

    But how can you be sure if they are a scam or not? Most times I can tell,
    but now and then one looks so genuine I think it best to ask here.
    Nobody needs to reply, but most people kindly do.
    Geopelia, Dec 19, 2011
  16. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 00:17:31 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I got an email from system admin telling me to upgrade my account, which I
    >>suspected was spam.
    >>It told me to click on xtra.co.nz/neo/45454
    >>
    >>I didn't do that of course.
    >>
    >>It was supposed to be from Yahoo! New Zealand Technical Support Team.
    >>
    >>So I googled Yahoo! New Zealand Technical Support Team and got what seemed
    >>to be a genuine page to ask a question on, and I asked if it was a genuine
    >>email.
    >>
    >>I got a reply saying somebody was waiting to answer, and if I was
    >>satisfied
    >>with the answer (which after all only had to be Yes or No) I should pay
    >>$59.
    >>
    >>I had a lot of trouble trying to get the website to cancel, it kept asking
    >>if I wanted to navigate away from the page.
    >>
    >>What do you think of that?
    >>
    >>I'm just ignoring it of course.
    >>

    > You seems to get conned all the time, I get 5 every week, just ignore
    > them..
    >
    > like 3 or 4 ISP's, 3 or 4 Banks and the IRD the other day..

    Yes, I get all those. This looked a genuine one from Yahoo.

    So if I get something that looks as though it is from Yahoo am I supposed to
    ask Telecom now?
    I think I heard they were combining some time ago.

    The Yahoo groups I belong to still come to my Inbox.

    (I don't mind people telling me I'm dumb. I get that all the time.)

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Dec 19, 2011
  17. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On 2011-12-15, Geopelia <> wrote:
    >> I got an email from system admin telling me to upgrade my account, which
    >> suspected was spam.

    > Now, did you wish to upgrade your account? Was this a cold call? If so I
    > would have dumped it.
    >
    > Cold calling is about you paying money to them for something you do not
    > want.
    >
    > Manners may never go out of style, but there are times when they need to
    > be
    > on leave.

    It was a cold email, not a cold phone call. If the phone person sounds
    nice, I refuse politely.
    If it's just a recorded message I say something rude and hang up.

    There has been a lot of fluffing around with Yahoo. I think it is now mixed
    up with xtra.
    How are we supposed to know what they are playing at or who is scamming
    around them?
    I'll go on asking here if I'm not sure.
    Folks may think I'm dumb, but I appreciate their help.

    Thank you
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Dec 19, 2011
  18. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Crash McBash" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 19:21:51 +1300, Frank Williams
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 15:41:46 +1300, Gib Bogle <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>I'm getting that feeling of deja vu all over again. How many times have
    >>>you posted about such unrequested emails, always getting the same advice
    >>>- that they are scams, and to ignore and delete them?

    >>I don't think this is a real person may be a Bot..?

    > I'm with Geo here. She is probably the oldest poster here and has
    > many times admitted to her lack of expertise. What is obvious to many
    > posters here may not be obvious to her. We don't need the implied
    > ridicule from Gib and Roger to further diminish the number of posters
    > here.

    I don't mind. Most people here are experts. I'm not, and must seem dumb to
    them.

    I was born in 1929. Most planes were still biplanes, radios crackled away on
    valves, trains were steam powered, and George V was King. Victorian morals
    ruled!
    Computers of today were far in the future.
    I've lived in "interesting times".

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Dec 19, 2011
  19. Geopelia

    Scooter Guest

    On , , Sun, 18 Dec 2011 20:24:47 +1300, Re: xtra.co.nz/neo/45454, Crash McBash
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 19:21:51 +1300, Frank Williams
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 15:41:46 +1300, Gib Bogle <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>I'm getting that feeling of deja vu all over again. How many times have
    >>>you posted about such unrequested emails, always getting the same advice
    >>>- that they are scams, and to ignore and delete them?

    >>I don't think this is a real person may be a Bot..?

    >I'm with Geo here. She is probably the oldest poster here and has
    >many times admitted to her lack of expertise. What is obvious to many
    >posters here may not be obvious to her. We don't need the implied
    >ridicule from Gib and Roger to further diminish the number of posters
    >here.

    Quite, some people here have such low self esteem that they can only feel good
    about themselves by disrespecting other people.
    I doubt if there is anyone here who doesn't know about Geopelia and her
    experience with computers/
    Scooter, Dec 19, 2011
  20. In article <jcmb9u$toj$>, "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    (snip)

    >> I'm getting that feeling of deja vu all over again. How many times have
    >> you posted about such unrequested emails, always getting the same advice -
    >> that they are scams, and to ignore and delete them?

    >But how can you be sure if they are a scam or not? Most times I can tell,
    >but now and then one looks so genuine I think it best to ask here.
    >Nobody needs to reply, but most people kindly do.

    If you assume they are all scams, you will be right. :)
    Banks do not ask for info by email ... at least they say they don't.

    If in doubt, bin it. If it's really important, your bank will write to you.
    :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 19, 2011