Xtra canning their news server?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Crash, Apr 27, 2006.

  1. Crash

    Crash Guest

    Just saw this as a post to nz.comp - presumably only visible to Xtra users of
    their nntp server:

    -----

    For some time Xtra has hosted a complimentary Usenet server.

    However, the number of people using this service has steadily declined and
    there are now only a few hundred regular users.

    Because of this decline in popularity, we have decided that, from May 3, we
    will no longer provide the newsgroup service.

    If you'd like to continue using newsgroups, there are other services available
    such as gignews.com, or free services such as MSN Forums and Google Groups.

    We like to apologise to the small number of regular users who will be affected
    by this change.

    Kind regards

    The Team @ Xtra

    -----

    I prefer using an nntp client to a browser - any recommendations for an NZ based
    nntp server (paid OK)?

    Crash.

    Crash, Apr 27, 2006

  2. And cross-posted to nl.naturisme and xtra.notgroup.

    Got a real link to share?

    the POWER and the GLORY, Apr 27, 2006

  3. Crash

    Geopelia Guest

    "the POWER and the GLORY" <> wrote in message
    > And cross-posted to nl.naturisme and xtra.notgroup.
    >
    > Got a real link to share?
    >
    > "Crash" <> wrote in message
    >> Just saw this as a post to nz.comp - presumably only visible to Xtra
    >> users

    > of
    >> their nntp server:
    >>
    >> -----
    >>
    >> For some time Xtra has hosted a complimentary Usenet server.
    >>
    >> However, the number of people using this service has steadily declined
    >> and
    >> there are now only a few hundred regular users.
    >>
    >> Because of this decline in popularity, we have decided that, from May 3,

    > we
    >> will no longer provide the newsgroup service.
    >>
    >> If you'd like to continue using newsgroups, there are other services

    > available
    >> such as gignews.com, or free services such as MSN Forums and Google

    > Groups.
    >>
    >> We like to apologise to the small number of regular users who will be

    > affected
    >> by this change.
    >>
    >> Kind regards
    >>
    >> The Team @ Xtra
    >>
    >> -----
    >>
    >> I prefer using an nntp client to a browser - any recommendations for an
    >> NZ

    > based
    >> nntp server (paid OK)?
    >>
    >> Crash.

    This message seems to be in all the newsgroups.

    I've got news.xtra.co.nz. Is this the one that is closing down?
    If so, what should I do?
    I've had a look at Google Groups and Yahoo Groups, but I want one same as
    this one, so easy to use.

    Could someone tell me what to do please? I don't understand much technical
    stuff.

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Apr 27, 2006
  4. Crash

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 23:31:14 +1200, "Geopelia" <> wrote:

    >"the POWER and the GLORY" <> wrote in message
    >> And cross-posted to nl.naturisme and xtra.notgroup.
    >>
    >> Got a real link to share?
    >>
    >> "Crash" <> wrote in message
    >>> Just saw this as a post to nz.comp - presumably only visible to Xtra
    >>> users

    >> of
    >>> their nntp server:
    >>>
    >>> -----
    >>>
    >>> For some time Xtra has hosted a complimentary Usenet server.
    >>>
    >>> However, the number of people using this service has steadily declined
    >>> and
    >>> there are now only a few hundred regular users.
    >>>
    >>> Because of this decline in popularity, we have decided that, from May 3,

    >> we
    >>> will no longer provide the newsgroup service.
    >>>
    >>> If you'd like to continue using newsgroups, there are other services

    >> available
    >>> such as gignews.com, or free services such as MSN Forums and Google

    >> Groups.
    >>>
    >>> We like to apologise to the small number of regular users who will be

    >> affected
    >>> by this change.
    >>>
    >>> Kind regards
    >>>
    >>> The Team @ Xtra
    >>>
    >>> -----
    >>>
    >>> I prefer using an nntp client to a browser - any recommendations for an
    >>> NZ

    >> based
    >>> nntp server (paid OK)?
    >>>
    >>> Crash.

    >This message seems to be in all the newsgroups.
    >
    >I've got news.xtra.co.nz. Is this the one that is closing down?
    >If so, what should I do?
    >I've had a look at Google Groups and Yahoo Groups, but I want one same as
    >this one, so easy to use.
    >
    >Could someone tell me what to do please? I don't understand much technical
    >stuff.

    Changing ISP's from Xtra to someone that still has a news server would probably
    be the best option. Next best thing would be to find a free news service, or
    pay someone for one.

    Craig Shore, Apr 27, 2006
  5. Crash

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 23:13:59 +1200, in message <ix14g.1488$>,
    the POWER and the GLORY wrote:

    > "Crash" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Just saw this as a post to nz.comp - presumably only visible to Xtra users of
    > > their nntp server:

    Indeed so. They don't want to alert anyone else.

    They haven't e-mailed their customers. I expect they want to alert
    as few people as possible to how they are cutting service.

    > And cross-posted to nl.naturisme

    Maybe clumsy fingers -- they selected the wrong group

    > and xtra.notgroup.

    I expect that this is specifically to prevent the message from
    propagating outside Xtra's news server.

    > Got a real link to share?

    If you want an original message which is visible outside Xtra's news
    server, ask Xtra. I suspect Xtra might not oblige.

    [Top posting corrected]

    --
    Cheers
    Ralph Fox

    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such an annoying thing?
    A: Top-posting.

    Ralph Fox, Apr 27, 2006
  6. Crash

    Geopelia Guest

    "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 23:31:14 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"the POWER and the GLORY" <> wrote in
    >>message
    >>> And cross-posted to nl.naturisme and xtra.notgroup.
    >>>
    >>> Got a real link to share?
    >>>
    >>> "Crash" <> wrote in message
    >>> of

    >>> we

    >>> available
    >>> Groups.

    >>> affected

    >>> based

    >>This message seems to be in all the newsgroups.
    >>
    >>I've got news.xtra.co.nz. Is this the one that is closing down?
    >>If so, what should I do?
    >>I've had a look at Google Groups and Yahoo Groups, but I want one same as
    >>this one, so easy to use.
    >>
    >>Could someone tell me what to do please? I don't understand much technical
    >>stuff.

    > Changing ISP's from Xtra to someone that still has a news server would
    > probably
    > be the best option. Next best thing would be to find a free news service,
    > or
    > pay someone for one.

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Apr 27, 2006
  7. Crash

    Crash Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    [snip]
    > I've got news.xtra.co.nz. Is this the one that is closing down?

    Yes.

    > If so, what should I do?
    > I've had a look at Google Groups and Yahoo Groups, but I want one same as
    > this one, so easy to use.
    >
    > Could someone tell me what to do please? I don't understand much technical
    > stuff.

    News.xtra.co.nz is what is known as an nntp (network news transmission protocol)
    server. You are using Outlook Express and when you access anything to do with
    Usenet (as opposed to email) OE is acting as an nntp client.

    I share your view of sites like Google Groups and Yahoo Groups - where as I
    understand it the only interface offered is through a browser (like Internet
    Explorer) - there is no nntp server available from these sites.

    Effectively you will need to find another nntp server to use. The problem is
    that most of these servers are run by ISPs but only for their customers, so to
    use another ISPs nntp server you will have to ditch Xtra and move to them. I
    believe there are some 'public' nntp servers but I am sure all of them will
    require payment as they have no funding from ISP fees (being public) and no (orb
    little) ability to deliver advertising (although I suppose that could attach it
    to every message when messages are read or downloaded). Like you I have not had
    to consider this before so hopefully other posters will let us know public nntp
    servers available.

    Crash.

    Crash, Apr 27, 2006
  8. Crash

    Crash Guest

    the POWER and the GLORY wrote:
    > And cross-posted to nl.naturisme and xtra.notgroup.
    >
    > Got a real link to share?

    [snip]

    No - it appears that the announcement is to users of the xtra server only (not
    propagated outside) as a news message.

    This means that only users of this server will see the message and be aware that
    Xtra are withdrawing a service.

    Crash.

    Crash, Apr 27, 2006
  9. Crash

    Geopelia Guest

    "Crash" <> wrote in message
    > the POWER and the GLORY wrote:
    >> And cross-posted to nl.naturisme and xtra.notgroup.
    >>
    >> Got a real link to share?

    > [snip]
    >
    > No - it appears that the announcement is to users of the xtra server only
    > (not propagated outside) as a news message.
    >
    > This means that only users of this server will see the message and be
    > aware that Xtra are withdrawing a service.
    >
    > Crash.

    Folks are passing on the message all around the world by email, of course.
    This will join the Fart Tax and give the rest of the world a good laugh!
    Not so funny for us, unfortunately.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Apr 27, 2006
  10. Crash

    Geopelia Guest

    "Crash" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    > [snip]
    >> I've got news.xtra.co.nz. Is this the one that is closing down?

    > Yes.
    >
    >> If so, what should I do?
    >> I've had a look at Google Groups and Yahoo Groups, but I want one same as
    >> this one, so easy to use.
    >>
    >> Could someone tell me what to do please? I don't understand much
    >> technical stuff.

    > News.xtra.co.nz is what is known as an nntp (network news transmission
    > protocol) server. You are using Outlook Express and when you access
    > anything to do with Usenet (as opposed to email) OE is acting as an nntp
    > client.
    >
    > I share your view of sites like Google Groups and Yahoo Groups - where as
    > I understand it the only interface offered is through a browser (like
    > Internet Explorer) - there is no nntp server available from these sites.
    >
    > Effectively you will need to find another nntp server to use. The problem
    > is that most of these servers are run by ISPs but only for their
    > customers, so to use another ISPs nntp server you will have to ditch Xtra
    > and move to them. I believe there are some 'public' nntp servers but I am
    > sure all of them will require payment as they have no funding from ISP
    > fees (being public) and no (orb little) ability to deliver advertising
    > (although I suppose that could attach it to every message when messages
    > are read or downloaded). Like you I have not had to consider this before
    > so hopefully other posters will let us know public nntp servers available.
    >
    > Crash.

    Thank you. I hope somebody will let us know. I'm going to have a look on
    Google.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Apr 27, 2006
  11. Crash

    Geopelia Guest

    "Crash" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    > [snip]
    >> I've got news.xtra.co.nz. Is this the one that is closing down?

    > Yes.

    (snip)

    I Googled public nntp servers and there is plenty of information.
    http://www.newzbot.com looks good.

    I'll peruse that and the other sites.

    (I hope you don't mind if I crosspost this to nz.general)

    Geopelia, Apr 27, 2006
  12. Crash

    Tony Guest

    I would recommend moving your custom to -

    Dialup or Corporat high speed - http://safenz.net/products.html
    DSL - http://www.xnet.co.nz/internet/broadband.shtml

    If you want a decent usenet service.

    Tony, Apr 28, 2006
  13. Crash

    bob Guest

    On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 22:04:07 +1200, Crash
    <> magnanimously proffered:

    >Just saw this as a post to nz.comp - presumably only visible to Xtra users of
    >their nntp server:
    >
    >-----
    >
    >For some time Xtra has hosted a complimentary Usenet server.
    >
    >However, the number of people using this service has steadily declined and
    >there are now only a few hundred regular users.
    >
    >Because of this decline in popularity, we have decided that, from May 3, we
    >will no longer provide the newsgroup service.
    >
    >If you'd like to continue using newsgroups, there are other services available
    >such as gignews.com, or free services such as MSN Forums and Google Groups.
    >
    >We like to apologise to the small number of regular users who will be affected
    >by this change.
    >
    >Kind regards
    >
    >The Team @ Xtra
    >
    >-----

    My email reply to Xtra's announcement:

    Let's be honest about this, or at the very least, clear, since honesty
    is not something that Xtra is familiar with. I've been a Telecom Xtra
    customer since shortly after it was launched . My original "user ID"
    was Xtr21079801.

    Since then Xtra has grown, mainly because it is part of Telecom, which
    has a monopoly on telecommunications in New Zealand.

    Xtra has always provided a complimentary Usnet service, although it
    has been secondary to its other services and treated accordingly.
    Nevertheless, it was part of the core services Xtra offered its
    customers and one of the main reasons I've stayed with Xtra despite
    the many outages and other problems it never admits to or denies.

    Because Xtra is part of Telecom and Telecom is a corporate monopoly
    spawned by what used to be a government department, it behaves with
    the bureaucratic arrogance and total lack of accountability that
    businesses which have to compete on a level playing field wouldn't get
    away with.

    From this day forward, I will do everything in my power to see that
    Telecom and its cash cow Xtra are divested of the privileged position
    they have both enjoyed and abused. I will do everything in my power to
    see that the government removes Telecom's monopoly and levels the
    playing field for meaningful competition.

    Loyalty, integrity, customer service? Telecom and Xtra don't know the
    meaning of these concepts.

    Take your "apologies" and "kind regards" and shove them up your lying,
    patronising corporate ass.

    bob, Apr 28, 2006
  14. Crash

    BandeeBikie Guest

    BandeeBikie, Apr 28, 2006
  15. Crash

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <5Y14g.1676$>,
    says...

    > "the POWER and the GLORY" <> wrote in message
    > > And cross-posted to nl.naturisme and xtra.notgroup.
    > >
    > > Got a real link to share?
    > >
    > > "Crash" <> wrote in message
    > >> Just saw this as a post to nz.comp - presumably only visible to Xtra
    > >> users

    > > of
    > >> their nntp server:
    > >>
    > >> -----
    > >>
    > >> For some time Xtra has hosted a complimentary Usenet server.
    > >>
    > >> However, the number of people using this service has steadily declined
    > >> and
    > >> there are now only a few hundred regular users.
    > >>
    > >> Because of this decline in popularity, we have decided that, from May 3,

    > > we
    > >> will no longer provide the newsgroup service.
    > >>
    > >> If you'd like to continue using newsgroups, there are other services

    > > available
    > >> such as gignews.com, or free services such as MSN Forums and Google

    > > Groups.
    > >>
    > >> We like to apologise to the small number of regular users who will be

    > > affected
    > >> by this change.
    > >>
    > >> Kind regards
    > >>
    > >> The Team @ Xtra
    > >>
    > >> -----
    > >>
    > >> I prefer using an nntp client to a browser - any recommendations for an
    > >> NZ

    > > based
    > >> nntp server (paid OK)?
    > >>
    > >> Crash.

    > This message seems to be in all the newsgroups.
    >
    > I've got news.xtra.co.nz. Is this the one that is closing down?
    > If so, what should I do?
    > I've had a look at Google Groups and Yahoo Groups, but I want one same as
    > this one, so easy to use.
    >
    > Could someone tell me what to do please? I don't understand much technical
    > stuff.

    I would concur w' Craig (and others) - get a new ISP. Telstraclear's
    news server is good (it doesn't work well between about 1am and 4am in
    my experience, and (as others will no doubt point out) it looses
    international connectivity every so often - but I don't find that a
    biggie really).

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Apr 28, 2006
  16. Crash

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <5Y14g.1676$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> "the POWER and the GLORY" <> wrote in
    >> message
    >> > And cross-posted to nl.naturisme and xtra.notgroup.
    >> >
    >> > Got a real link to share?
    >> >
    >> > "Crash" <> wrote in message
    >> > of

    >> > we

    >> > available
    >> > Groups.

    >> > affected

    >> > based

    >> This message seems to be in all the newsgroups.
    >>
    >> I've got news.xtra.co.nz. Is this the one that is closing down?
    >> If so, what should I do?
    >> I've had a look at Google Groups and Yahoo Groups, but I want one same as
    >> this one, so easy to use.
    >>
    >> Could someone tell me what to do please? I don't understand much
    >> technical
    >> stuff.

    > I would concur w' Craig (and others) - get a new ISP. Telstraclear's
    > news server is good (it doesn't work well between about 1am and 4am in
    > my experience, and (as others will no doubt point out) it looses
    > international connectivity every so often - but I don't find that a
    > biggie really).
    >
    > --
    > Duncan

    Thank you, I'll think about that one. We would have to have them for phone
    calls as well if we change. We make a toll call about once a year, so it is
    the local phone charge and the internet charge that would matter. We need a
    good Help desk too, and I've found xtra very good for that.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Apr 28, 2006
  17. Crash

    Geopelia Guest

    "bob" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 22:04:07 +1200, Crash
    > <> magnanimously proffered:
    >
    >>Just saw this as a post to nz.comp - presumably only visible to Xtra users
    >>of
    >>their nntp server:
    >>
    >>-----
    >>
    >>For some time Xtra has hosted a complimentary Usenet server.
    >>
    >>However, the number of people using this service has steadily declined and
    >>there are now only a few hundred regular users.
    >>
    >>Because of this decline in popularity, we have decided that, from May 3,
    >>we
    >>will no longer provide the newsgroup service.
    >>
    >>If you'd like to continue using newsgroups, there are other services
    >>available
    >>such as gignews.com, or free services such as MSN Forums and Google
    >>Groups.
    >>
    >>We like to apologise to the small number of regular users who will be
    >>affected
    >>by this change.
    >>
    >>Kind regards
    >>
    >>The Team @ Xtra
    >>
    >>-----

    > My email reply to Xtra's announcement:
    >
    > Let's be honest about this, or at the very least, clear, since honesty
    > is not something that Xtra is familiar with. I've been a Telecom Xtra
    > customer since shortly after it was launched . My original "user ID"
    > was Xtr21079801.
    >
    > Since then Xtra has grown, mainly because it is part of Telecom, which
    > has a monopoly on telecommunications in New Zealand.
    >
    > Xtra has always provided a complimentary Usnet service, although it
    > has been secondary to its other services and treated accordingly.
    > Nevertheless, it was part of the core services Xtra offered its
    > customers and one of the main reasons I've stayed with Xtra despite
    > the many outages and other problems it never admits to or denies.
    >
    > Because Xtra is part of Telecom and Telecom is a corporate monopoly
    > spawned by what used to be a government department, it behaves with
    > the bureaucratic arrogance and total lack of accountability that
    > businesses which have to compete on a level playing field wouldn't get
    > away with.
    >
    > From this day forward, I will do everything in my power to see that
    > Telecom and its cash cow Xtra are divested of the privileged position
    > they have both enjoyed and abused. I will do everything in my power to
    > see that the government removes Telecom's monopoly and levels the
    > playing field for meaningful competition.
    >
    > Loyalty, integrity, customer service? Telecom and Xtra don't know the
    > meaning of these concepts.
    >
    > Take your "apologies" and "kind regards" and shove them up your lying,
    > patronising corporate ass.

    Good for you!
    But I think Telecom is run by that fluffy female that is often on TV, so
    it's not a nice thing to say to a lady!
    Still, maybe they will soon replace her if Telecom doesn't pull its socks
    up.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Apr 28, 2006
  18. Crash

    Geopelia Guest

    Apparently it is a real message, unless the details xtra is sending out to
    enquirers are also hoaxes.

    So where are we all going to go?

    Geopelia, Apr 28, 2006
  19. On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 13:09:20 +1200, bob wrote:

    > On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 22:04:07 +1200, Crash
    > <> magnanimously proffered:
    >
    >>Just saw this as a post to nz.comp - presumably only visible to Xtra users of
    >>their nntp server:
    >>
    >>-----
    >>
    >>For some time Xtra has hosted a complimentary Usenet server.
    >>
    >>However, the number of people using this service has steadily declined and
    >>there are now only a few hundred regular users.
    >>
    >>Because of this decline in popularity, we have decided that, from May 3, we
    >>will no longer provide the newsgroup service.
    >>
    >>If you'd like to continue using newsgroups, there are other services available
    >>such as gignews.com, or free services such as MSN Forums and Google Groups.
    >>
    >>We like to apologise to the small number of regular users who will be affected
    >>by this change.
    >>
    >>Kind regards
    >>
    >>The Team @ Xtra
    >>
    >>-----

    > My email reply to Xtra's announcement:
    >
    > Let's be honest about this, or at the very least, clear, since honesty
    > is not something that Xtra is familiar with. I've been a Telecom Xtra
    > customer since shortly after it was launched . My original "user ID"
    > was Xtr21079801.
    >
    > Since then Xtra has grown, mainly because it is part of Telecom, which
    > has a monopoly on telecommunications in New Zealand.
    >
    > Xtra has always provided a complimentary Usnet service, although it
    > has been secondary to its other services and treated accordingly.
    > Nevertheless, it was part of the core services Xtra offered its
    > customers and one of the main reasons I've stayed with Xtra despite
    > the many outages and other problems it never admits to or denies.
    >
    > Because Xtra is part of Telecom and Telecom is a corporate monopoly
    > spawned by what used to be a government department, it behaves with
    > the bureaucratic arrogance and total lack of accountability that
    > businesses which have to compete on a level playing field wouldn't get
    > away with.
    >
    > From this day forward, I will do everything in my power to see that
    > Telecom and its cash cow Xtra are divested of the privileged position
    > they have both enjoyed and abused. I will do everything in my power to
    > see that the government removes Telecom's monopoly and levels the
    > playing field for meaningful competition.
    >
    > Loyalty, integrity, customer service? Telecom and Xtra don't know the
    > meaning of these concepts.
    >
    > Take your "apologies" and "kind regards" and shove them up your lying,
    > patronising corporate ass.

    Well said!

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 28, 2006
  20. On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 14:41:38 +1200, Geopelia wrote:

    > But I think Telecom is run by that fluffy female that is often on TV, so
    > it's not a nice thing to say to a lady!

    That is no "lady"!

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 28, 2006