    version of internet explorer 6 and well the damn X is still there instead of
    the cool world globe that is normally there when it loads pages.. thanks
    very much.....
    pwb, Oct 1, 2003

  2. pwb

    T.N.O. Guest

    "pwb" wrote
    > hello,Do anyone know how to get rid of the little X top right corner on

    my
    > internet explorer browser,ughhhh....I installed the internet explorer from
    > XTRAs installation disk when joining them, I have re installed a newer
    > version of internet explorer 6 and well the damn X is still there instead

    of
    > the cool world globe that is normally there when it loads pages.. thanks
    > very much.....

    If you still have the CD, chuck it in, browse to the "support" folder, and
    see if they still include "remove.exe".

    When you run it, I think from memory it says that it is removing the
    browser, but all it does is remove the branding..

    If it isn't there, I can email it to you.
    T.N.O., Oct 1, 2003

  3. pwb

    pwb Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > "pwb" wrote
    > > hello,Do anyone know how to get rid of the little X top right corner on

    > my
    > > internet explorer browser,ughhhh....I installed the internet explorer

    from
    > > XTRAs installation disk when joining them, I have re installed a newer
    > > version of internet explorer 6 and well the damn X is still there

    instead
    > of
    > > the cool world globe that is normally there when it loads pages..

    thanks
    > > very much.....

    > If you still have the CD, chuck it in, browse to the "support" folder, and
    > see if they still include "remove.exe".
    >
    > When you run it, I think from memory it says that it is removing the
    > browser, but all it does is remove the branding..
    >
    > If it isn't there, I can email it to you.
    > THANKS so much T.N.O. it worked and it has removed the pesky X, thanks

    again,,,,
    best regards, P.

    pwb, Oct 2, 2003
  4. pwb

    Jay Guest

    pwb wrote:

    > hello,Do anyone know how to get rid of the little X top right corner on
    > my internet explorer browser,ughhhh....I installed the internet explorer
    > from XTRAs installation disk when joining them, I have re installed a
    > newer version of internet explorer 6 and well the damn X is still there
    > instead of
    > the cool world globe that is normally there when it loads pages.. thanks
    > very much.....

    Yes, use Mozilla.
    Jay, Oct 2, 2003
  5. pwb

    T.N.O. Guest

    "pwb" wrote
    > THANKS so much T.N.O. it worked and it has removed the pesky X, thanks
    > again,,,,

    Just shows, working there for just under a year, I did learn something :)
    T.N.O., Oct 2, 2003
  6. pwb

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Jay" <> wrote in message
    > pwb wrote:
    >
    > > hello,Do anyone know how to get rid of the little X top right corner on
    > > my internet explorer browser,ughhhh....I installed the internet explorer
    > > from XTRAs installation disk when joining them, I have re installed a
    > > newer version of internet explorer 6 and well the damn X is still there
    > > instead of
    > > the cool world globe that is normally there when it loads pages..

    thanks
    > > very much.....

    > Yes, use Mozilla.

    <sarcasm>

    Great answer. You answered just exactly the question the OP asked. Very
    constructive, you are a valuable assett to this newsgroup.

    </sarcasm>
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Oct 2, 2003
  7. pwb

    T.N.O. Guest

    "~misfit~" wrote
    > <sarcasm>
    > Great answer. You answered just exactly the question the OP asked. Very
    > constructive, you are a valuable assett to this newsgroup.
    > </sarcasm>

    Since reading Jay's post, I was trying to think of a polite way to say that,
    but I think you have summed up my feelings perfectly..

    Incidentally, remove.exe works on any customised IE install.
    By customised, I mean with ads like the Xtra ones, or the ones that PC world
    used(might still) to do.
    T.N.O., Oct 2, 2003
  8. pwb

    PseUDO Guest

    "pwb" <> wrote in message news:p%Feb.164940$...
    > hello,Do anyone know how to get rid of the little X top right corner on my
    > internet explorer browser,ughhhh....I installed the internet explorer from
    > XTRAs installation disk when joining them, I have re installed a newer
    > version of internet explorer 6 and well the damn X is still there instead of
    > the cool world globe that is normally there when it loads pages.. thanks
    > very much.....

    It's called a "Throbber" and it's located in the file called "Shdocvw.dll" in the windows\system32 folder.

    You can edit this file to put whatever picture you want in their or, you could get somebody to send you a copy of that file and
    replace your one with their one.

    If you are using XP you will come across the file protection when trying to replace this file, on 98 or ME you should be able to
    replace it a bit more easily.

    More info here , along with a registry file that will remove the throbber, reported to work on IE6 !!.

    http://toastytech.com/files/throboff.html

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Oct 2, 2003
  9. pwb

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > "~misfit~" wrote
    > > <sarcasm>
    > > Great answer. You answered just exactly the question the OP asked. Very
    > > constructive, you are a valuable assett to this newsgroup.
    > > </sarcasm>

    > Since reading Jay's post, I was trying to think of a polite way to say that,
    > but I think you have summed up my feelings perfectly..
    >
    > Incidentally, remove.exe works on any customised IE install.
    > By customised, I mean with ads like the Xtra ones, or the ones that PC world
    > used(might still) to do.

    There are also some registry entries and files that can be removed, this
    also removes the "Internet Explorer provided by" bits.
    Mainlander, Oct 2, 2003
  10. pwb

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 13:08:53 +1200, PseUDO wrote:

    > It's called a "Throbber"

    My mind boggles

    --
    Gordon

    Google knows where to find things, ask at http://www.google.com
    Works for me, will work for you, so be it.
    Gordon, Oct 2, 2003
  11. pwb

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <>,
    *@*.* says...
    > In article <>, says...
    > > "~misfit~" wrote
    > > > <sarcasm>
    > > > Great answer. You answered just exactly the question the OP asked. Very
    > > > constructive, you are a valuable assett to this newsgroup.
    > > > </sarcasm>

    > > Since reading Jay's post, I was trying to think of a polite way to say that,
    > > but I think you have summed up my feelings perfectly..
    > >
    > > Incidentally, remove.exe works on any customised IE install.
    > > By customised, I mean with ads like the Xtra ones, or the ones that PC world
    > > used(might still) to do.

    > There are also some registry entries and files that can be removed, this
    > also removes the "Internet Explorer provided by" bits.

    I believe you can also do this throught gpedit.msc also (Group
    Policy editor).

    --
    Duncan
    T-Boy, Oct 2, 2003
  12. pwb

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <blfpgj$butil$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > pwb wrote:
    >
    > > hello,Do anyone know how to get rid of the little X top right corner on
    > > my internet explorer browser,ughhhh....I installed the internet explorer
    > > from XTRAs installation disk when joining them, I have re installed a
    > > newer version of internet explorer 6 and well the damn X is still there
    > > instead of
    > > the cool world globe that is normally there when it loads pages.. thanks
    > > very much.....

    > Yes, use Mozilla.

    That removes the wee customised logo in IE ? ('cos that's what
    he want's to do)

    --
    Duncan
    T-Boy, Oct 2, 2003
  13. pwb

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Gordon" wrote
    > > It's called a "Throbber"

    > My mind boggles

    It is a throbbing icon... I guess they could have called it "cycler" as all
    it really is, is a series of BMP files that cycle.
    T.N.O., Oct 2, 2003
  14. pwb

    Jay Guest

    T-Boy wrote:

    > In article <blfpgj$butil$-berlin.de>,
    > says...
    >> pwb wrote:
    >>
    >> > hello,Do anyone know how to get rid of the little X top right corner
    >> > on my internet explorer browser,ughhhh....I installed the internet
    >> > explorer from XTRAs installation disk when joining them, I have re
    >> > installed a newer version of internet explorer 6 and well the damn X is
    >> > still there instead of
    >> > the cool world globe that is normally there when it loads pages..
    >> > thanks very much.....

    >> Yes, use Mozilla.

    > That removes the wee customised logo in IE ? ('cos that's what
    > he want's to do)

    Yes, it does.
    It vanishes immediately you close IE and open Mozilla.
    Jay, Oct 2, 2003
  15. pwb

    Jay Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > "Jay" <> wrote in message
    >> pwb wrote:
    >>
    >> > hello,Do anyone know how to get rid of the little X top right corner
    >> > on my internet explorer browser,ughhhh....I installed the internet
    >> > explorer from XTRAs installation disk when joining them, I have re
    >> > installed a newer version of internet explorer 6 and well the damn X is
    >> > still there instead of
    >> > the cool world globe that is normally there when it loads pages..

    > thanks
    >> > very much.....

    >> Yes, use Mozilla.

    > <sarcasm>
    >
    > Great answer. You answered just exactly the question the OP asked. Very
    > constructive, you are a valuable assett to this newsgroup.
    >
    > </sarcasm>

    It is a perfectly valid answer.
    When you close IE and open Mozilla the annoying logo disappears.
    Jay, Oct 2, 2003
  16. pwb

    Lennier Guest

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 21:43:09 +1000, Jay wrote:

    >> That removes the wee customised logo in IE ? ('cos that's what he want's
    >> to do)
    >>

    > Yes, it does.
    > It vanishes immediately you close IE and open Mozilla.

    LOL - yeah agreed.

    ;o)

    Lennier
    Lennier, Oct 2, 2003
  17. pwb

    Andrew Guest

    But that hasnt actually removed the little X from the top right hand corner
    of internet explorer browser though has it..... Opening Mozilla would just
    hide the fact that its still there and that jay cant remove it, So he takes
    the easy option, gives up and runs a different program all together

    Andrew, Oct 2, 2003
  18. pwb

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Andrew" wrote
    > So he takes
    > the easy option, gives up and runs a different program all together

    He's probably a Linux user... They don't know how to secure or customise
    Windows machines, so take the easy option.

    :)
    T.N.O., Oct 2, 2003
  19. pwb

    Al Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > But that hasnt actually removed the little X from the top right hand

    corner
    > of internet explorer browser though has it..... Opening Mozilla would just
    > hide the fact that its still there and that jay cant remove it, So he

    takes
    > the easy option, gives up and runs a different program all together

    [Snip]

    Check out Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 176713

    http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q176/7/13.ASP
    Al, Oct 3, 2003
  20. pwb

    Jay Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:

    > "Andrew" wrote
    >> So he takes
    >> the easy option, gives up and runs a different program all together

    > He's probably a Linux user... They don't know how to secure or customise
    > Windows machines, so take the easy option.
    >
    > :)

    Au contraire.
    They have a 100% secure Windows because it is behind a secure firewall
    running on Linux. And, as much as it might surprise you, I have developed
    a lot of applications for Windows. Some of which are commercial successes.
    Jay, Oct 3, 2003