    Or is there better to come?

    Any comments or opinions out there?

    Paul

    Paul Carter, Nov 4, 2004

  2. "Paul Carter" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I received a mailout today from Telecom offering me a free broadband modem
    >and free Jetstream connection, I'm currently on dial-up. According to
    >Telecom the modem is worth 99.95 and the Jetstream connection $99. The
    >only condition is I sign up for 12 months.
    >
    > Well, this seems quite appealing to me, the lowest priced package
    > (1GB)costs only $12 more per month than I'm paying now.
    >
    > Is this a good deal?
    >
    > How quickly would P2P(WinMX and Emule) use up 1GB?
    >
    > Or is there better to come?
    >
    > Any comments or opinions out there?
    >
    > Paul

    You don't mention the speed of this package , but I will assume to be
    256Kbps. This allows you to download 32KB/s, so you could expect to exceed
    1Gb after around 8 or 9 hours.

    I would recommend this mainly for the always on connection. If you exceed
    1GB you get the speed dropped to dial-up anyway (I assume). But, one of the
    big plus's of ADSL is always on, and your phoneline is free. $12 per month
    might be worthwhile just for that.

    Jed Meisterdude, Nov 4, 2004

  3. Paul Carter

    joe_90 Guest

    Paul Carter wrote:
    > Any comments or opinions out there?

    I saw a copy of that mailout today. Apart from the drawback of having to
    use Xtra, it looks a reasonable deal (well, that's reasonable in a
    relative sense). However, call me suspicious but I'd want clarification
    of their rather vague condition regarding a minimum 12 month contract.

    The exact wording used is "A 12 month term and $100 disconnection fee
    apply."

    What does that mean? It is an /inclusive/ clause which suggests the
    disconnection fee applies regardless of length of term. Now I assume
    this is not what is meant, but the wording is open to interpretation.
    Heck, if you want to be really pedantic (as any good lawyer would be)
    you would also be correct to interpret the clause to mean that it was a
    /fixed term/ 12 month contract.

    I've had a quick look at the terms and conditions that you have to agree
    to when signing up online, and could not clarify this point. If I was
    considering this offer I'd want written clarification on this point
    before signing up.

    joe_90, Nov 4, 2004
  4. Paul Carter

    Guest

    On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 20:05:04 +1300, Paul Carter wrote:

    > How quickly would P2P(WinMX and Emule) use up 1GB?

    ONE hour of CD-quality audio is about 0.5GB.

    One complete distro of Linux is about 1.8GB.

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."

    , Nov 4, 2004
  5. Paul Carter

    Paul Carter Guest

    On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 21:19:24 +1300, joe_90 <joe_90@invalid_address.com> wrote:

    >Paul Carter wrote:
    >> Any comments or opinions out there?

    >I saw a copy of that mailout today. Apart from the drawback of having to
    >use Xtra, it looks a reasonable deal (well, that's reasonable in a
    >relative sense). However, call me suspicious but I'd want clarification
    >of their rather vague condition regarding a minimum 12 month contract.
    >
    >The exact wording used is "A 12 month term and $100 disconnection fee
    >apply."

    I'm assuming the $100 disconnection fee applies if you terminate the contract before the end of the 12 month term, therefore after month 10 it would be cheaper to pay 2 months more than disconnect anyway. If I go for this, I'll clarify this point before signing up.

    Otherwise, as you say, it looks like a fairly good deal to me.

    Paul

    Paul Carter, Nov 4, 2004
  6. Paul Carter

    Paul Carter Guest

    On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 21:40:39 +1300, "" <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 20:05:04 +1300, Paul Carter wrote:
    >
    >> How quickly would P2P(WinMX and Emule) use up 1GB?

    >ONE hour of CD-quality audio is about 0.5GB.

    Ouch! Are you sure about this?

    If you're right then 1GB a month isn't going to go far is it?
    I guess the good thing about this plan is that if/when you exceed your data limit there are no extra charges. All that happens is that the sped drops back to that of dial-up.

    >One complete distro of Linux is about 1.8GB.

    Thanks for the info, but no interest whatsoever.

    Paul Carter, Nov 4, 2004
  7. Paul Carter

    Dorado Guest

    wrote:
    > On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 20:05:04 +1300, Paul Carter wrote:

    <snip>
    > ONE hour of CD-quality audio is about 0.5GB.

    Using what compression? wav??????
    a 256Kbps mp3 will have 1 hour worth of audio in < 150MB

    Dorado, Nov 4, 2004
  8. Paul Carter

    Nelly Guest

    On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 22:34:21 +1300, Paul Carter <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 21:40:39 +1300, "" <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 20:05:04 +1300, Paul Carter wrote:
    >>
    >>> How quickly would P2P(WinMX and Emule) use up 1GB?

    >>ONE hour of CD-quality audio is about 0.5GB.
    >>

    >Ouch! Are you sure about this?
    >
    >If you're right then 1GB a month isn't going to go far is it?
    >I guess the good thing about this plan is that if/when you exceed your data limit there are no extra charges. All that happens is that the sped drops back to that of dial-up.
    >
    >>One complete distro of Linux is about 1.8GB.
    >>

    >Thanks for the info, but no interest whatsoever.
    >>
    >>Divine

    Xtra have an online price guide (Jetstream calculator). Worth having a
    look at. I'm taking up the offer and hope I'm doing the right thing.
    The only question I have is should I have taken the Single PC Kit when
    I have the computers on a wireless network or should I have taken one
    of the other kits?

    Nelly.
    If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours :)

    Nelly, Nov 4, 2004
  9. Paul Carter

    Nelly Guest

    Nelly, Nov 4, 2004
  10. wrote:
    > On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 20:05:04 +1300, Paul Carter wrote:
    >

    >>How quickly would P2P(WinMX and Emule) use up 1GB?

    > ONE hour of CD-quality audio is about 0.5GB.

    You've got superhuman ears or a crap codec

    Nathan Mercer, Nov 4, 2004
  11. Suddenly, Dorado sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > wrote:
    > > On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 20:05:04 +1300, Paul Carter wrote:
    > >

    > <snip>
    > > ONE hour of CD-quality audio is about 0.5GB.
    > >

    > Using what compression? wav??????
    > a 256Kbps mp3 will have 1 hour worth of audio in < 150MB

    He said CD QUALITY

    ie. uncompressed (although FLAC would get it to half)

    but for most peopple of course, that is overkill; most will not notice
    the difference between (say) 256k mp3 and CD.
    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Nov 4, 2004
  12. Nelly wrote:
    > Xtra have an online price guide (Jetstream calculator). Worth having a
    > look at. I'm taking up the offer and hope I'm doing the right thing.
    > The only question I have is should I have taken the Single PC Kit when
    > I have the computers on a wireless network or should I have taken one
    > of the other kits?

    I hope they have fixed the calculater since I last played with it.
    Last time they recommended the 2GB plan no matter how much data you
    specified.

    Just checked, they have fixed it.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 4, 2004
  13. Paul Carter

    DoggNZ Guest

    wrote:

    >I received a mailout today from Telecom offering me a free broadband modem and free Jetstream connection, I'm currently on dial-up. According to Telecom the modem is worth 99.95 and the Jetstream connection $99. The only condition is I sign up for 12 months.
    >
    >Well, this seems quite appealing to me, the lowest priced package (1GB)costs only $12 more per month than I'm paying now.
    >
    >Is this a good deal?
    >
    >How quickly would P2P(WinMX and Emule) use up 1GB?
    >
    >Or is there better to come?
    >
    >Any comments or opinions out there?
    >
    >Paul

    Don't do it! Buy your own router (not an internal or external ADSL
    "modem") and sign up to another ISP. Despite all the issues people are
    having with Orcon (which are slowly getting sorted), I'd still
    recommend them\.

    --
    BOINC SETI

    DoggNZ, Nov 4, 2004
  14. In article <cmcvan$hd4$> in nz.comp on Thu, 4 Nov 2004
    23:12:39 +1300, Dorado <> says...
    > wrote:
    > > On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 20:05:04 +1300, Paul Carter wrote:
    > >

    > <snip>
    > > ONE hour of CD-quality audio is about 0.5GB.
    > >

    > Using what compression? wav??????
    > a 256Kbps mp3 will have 1 hour worth of audio in < 150MB

    CD quality = uncompressed 44.1Khz audio
    This is not MP3.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 5, 2004
  15. In article <UTpid.29477$> in nz.comp on Fri, 05
    Nov 2004 02:10:51 +1300, Nathan Mercer <> says...
    > wrote:
    > > On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 20:05:04 +1300, Paul Carter wrote:
    > >

    > >>How quickly would P2P(WinMX and Emule) use up 1GB?

    > > ONE hour of CD-quality audio is about 0.5GB.

    > You've got superhuman ears or a crap codec

    CD quality = uncompressed. No codec

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 5, 2004
  16. Paul Carter

    Paul Guest

    On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 10:44:13 +1300, DoggNZ
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 20:05:04 +1300, Paul Carter <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I received a mailout today from Telecom offering me a free broadband modem and free Jetstream connection, I'm currently on dial-up. According to Telecom the modem is worth 99.95 and the Jetstream connection $99. The only condition is I sign up for 12 months.
    >>
    >>Well, this seems quite appealing to me, the lowest priced package (1GB)costs only $12 more per month than I'm paying now.
    >>
    >>Is this a good deal?
    >>
    >>How quickly would P2P(WinMX and Emule) use up 1GB?
    >>
    >>Or is there better to come?
    >>
    >>Any comments or opinions out there?
    >>
    >>Paul

    >Don't do it! Buy your own router (not an internal or external ADSL
    >"modem") and sign up to another ISP. Despite all the issues people are
    >having with Orcon (which are slowly getting sorted), I'd still
    >recommend them\.
    >
    >--
    >BOINC SETI
    >http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/stats.php?userID=1469&trans=off

    It's true.

    Xtra are doing a massive recruitment drive to get everybody on board.
    Free modem, free install, cheaper monthly charge. Let's face it Xtra
    are freaked by this wholesale agreement that lets other sell their
    stuff.

    I can some big network access issues coming soon.

    Two words: bloated network

    Paul, Nov 5, 2004
  17. Paul Carter

    Paul Carter Guest

    On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 10:44:13 +1300, DoggNZ <> wrote:

    Snip

    >Don't do it! Buy your own router (not an internal or external ADSL
    >"modem") and sign up to another ISP. Despite all the issues people are
    >having with Orcon (which are slowly getting sorted), I'd still
    >recommend them\.

    You say "Don't do it!", but don't offer any reason why. You do suggest an alternative, which does not appeal to me at all.

    Why should I buy a router when Telecom will give me a ADSL "modem"? What advantages will a router give me?

    Why change ISP when I'm totally happy with Telecom? The negatives of a new ISP are the hassles of closing one account and opening another along with the loss of my nine year old Email address. The positives are what exactly?

    Cheers

    Paul

    Paul Carter, Nov 5, 2004
  18. Paul Carter

    Guest

    On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 23:12:39 +1300, Dorado wrote:

    >> ONE hour of CD-quality audio is about 0.5GB.
    >>

    > Using what compression? wav??????

    Using NO compression. CD quality audio is 16 bit PCM @ 44100
    samples/second uncompressed.

    > a 256Kbps mp3 will have 1 hour worth of audio in < 150MB

    A 256kbps MP3 is not CD quality audio.

    Divine

    --
    43 - for those who require slightly more than the answer to life, the universe
    and everything.

    , Nov 5, 2004
  19. Paul Carter

    Guest

    On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 02:10:51 +1300, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    >> ONE hour of CD-quality audio is about 0.5GB.

    > You've got superhuman ears or a crap codec

    It's called 16 bit PCM audio @ 44100 samples/second

    No codec required.

    And people who deal regularly with high-bit-rate/high-sample-rate audio
    CAN tell the difference between 16bit/44100 PCM and 24bit/96000.

    Just because *you've* got cloth ears doesn't mean that others are
    similarly disadvantaged.

    Divine

    --
    "Micro$oft don't need any moral right to be a hypocrite. It's an
    oxymoron. They will do what they can get away with. Of course this makes

    , Nov 5, 2004
  20. Paul Carter

    tatties Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 23:12:39 +1300, Dorado wrote:
    >
    >>> ONE hour of CD-quality audio is about 0.5GB.
    >>>

    >> Using what compression? wav??????

    > Using NO compression. CD quality audio is 16 bit PCM @ 44100
    > samples/second uncompressed.

    Using flac compression its exactly the same.

    tatties, Nov 5, 2004