Xtra Broadband News

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by whome, Aug 3, 2006.

  1. whome

    whome Guest

    Anyone else get this...Seems like a load of nonsense to me. No mention of
    caps.

    Xtra Broadband News

    We're eager to keep you informed of what new developments you can expect in
    broadband services in the near future.

    Right around the world broadband services are constantly developing, and New
    Zealand is no exception.

    Back in April, new Xtra plans were introduced delivering maximum download
    speeds of up to 3.5 megabits per second on supported lines. We also
    announced that we will be introducing new technology in the future that will
    enable even faster broadband speeds for customers, depending on their
    location.

    Hot off the press is the news that Xtra will be providing new unconstrained
    speed options later this year.

    These new plans will include options which will deliver unconstrained speeds
    for both downloading and uploading. So instead of being provided with
    individual maximum line speeds, these options will deliver the maximum the
    network is capable of delivering at any particular location and time.

    With these plans customers may find it easier to do things online that are
    "bandwidth-intensive" - eg. downloading / uploading music and files,
    watching video, sending and receiving large email attachments such as
    photos, and playing online games. For more basic online activities like web
    surfing and email, an increase in line speeds isn't actually so noticeable.
    So if your Internet usage leans towards a lot of downloading or file sharing
    look out for new unconstrained plan options later in the year.

    Next Generation Broadband

    At Xtra we think the next generation of broadband will be pretty exciting.
    But it will also introduce more variability to the range of speeds that
    customers experience. To help work through this we're investing in new line
    testing tools so we can give you good advice about the plan that's best for
    you in the future.

    For more information on the factors that influence broadband speeds you can
    visit www.xtra.co.nz/speed

    You don't need to do anything, and we'll be in touch with you soon to keep
    you up to date.

    Kind regards
    whome, Aug 3, 2006

  2. whome

    Vista Guest

    "whome" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone else get this...Seems like a load of nonsense to me. No mention of
    > caps.
    >
    > Xtra Broadband News
    >
    > We're eager to keep you informed of what new developments you can expect
    > in broadband services in the near future.
    >
    > Right around the world broadband services are constantly developing, and
    > New Zealand is no exception.
    >
    > Back in April, new Xtra plans were introduced delivering maximum download
    > speeds of up to 3.5 megabits per second on supported lines. We also
    > announced that we will be introducing new technology in the future that
    > will enable even faster broadband speeds for customers, depending on their
    > location.
    >
    > Hot off the press is the news that Xtra will be providing new
    > unconstrained speed options later this year.
    >
    > These new plans will include options which will deliver unconstrained
    > speeds for both downloading and uploading. So instead of being provided
    > with individual maximum line speeds, these options will deliver the
    > maximum the network is capable of delivering at any particular location
    > and time.
    >
    > With these plans customers may find it easier to do things online that are
    > "bandwidth-intensive" - eg. downloading / uploading music and files,
    > watching video, sending and receiving large email attachments such as
    > photos, and playing online games. For more basic online activities like
    > web surfing and email, an increase in line speeds isn't actually so
    > noticeable. So if your Internet usage leans towards a lot of downloading
    > or file sharing look out for new unconstrained plan options later in the
    > year.
    >
    > Next Generation Broadband
    >
    > At Xtra we think the next generation of broadband will be pretty exciting.
    > But it will also introduce more variability to the range of speeds that
    > customers experience. To help work through this we're investing in new
    > line testing tools so we can give you good advice about the plan that's
    > best for you in the future.
    >
    > For more information on the factors that influence broadband speeds you
    > can visit www.xtra.co.nz/speed
    >
    > You don't need to do anything, and we'll be in touch with you soon to keep
    > you up to date.
    >
    > Kind regards

    I think they should provide a detailed map showing the location of all their
    phone exchnages, so we know how far we are from the exchanges.
    It say a small number of customers won't be able to reach the maximim speed,
    however I would think that it would be the majority of their customers that
    wouldn't be able to reach maximum speed. I am in an urban area, and I
    already don't reach maximum speed.
    Vista, Aug 3, 2006

  3. whome

    whome Guest

    "Vista" <> wrote in message

    > "whome" <> wrote in message
    >> Anyone else get this...Seems like a load of nonsense to me. No mention of
    >> caps.
    >>
    >> Xtra Broadband News
    >>
    >> We're eager to keep you informed of what new developments you can expect
    >> in broadband services in the near future.
    >>
    >> Right around the world broadband services are constantly developing, and
    >> New Zealand is no exception.
    >>
    >> Back in April, new Xtra plans were introduced delivering maximum download
    >> speeds of up to 3.5 megabits per second on supported lines. We also
    >> announced that we will be introducing new technology in the future that
    >> will enable even faster broadband speeds for customers, depending on
    >> their location.
    >>
    >> Hot off the press is the news that Xtra will be providing new
    >> unconstrained speed options later this year.
    >>
    >> These new plans will include options which will deliver unconstrained
    >> speeds for both downloading and uploading. So instead of being provided
    >> with individual maximum line speeds, these options will deliver the
    >> maximum the network is capable of delivering at any particular location
    >> and time.
    >>
    >> With these plans customers may find it easier to do things online that
    >> are "bandwidth-intensive" - eg. downloading / uploading music and files,
    >> watching video, sending and receiving large email attachments such as
    >> photos, and playing online games. For more basic online activities like
    >> web surfing and email, an increase in line speeds isn't actually so
    >> noticeable. So if your Internet usage leans towards a lot of downloading
    >> or file sharing look out for new unconstrained plan options later in the
    >> year.
    >>
    >> Next Generation Broadband
    >>
    >> At Xtra we think the next generation of broadband will be pretty
    >> exciting. But it will also introduce more variability to the range of
    >> speeds that customers experience. To help work through this we're
    >> investing in new line testing tools so we can give you good advice about
    >> the plan that's best for you in the future.
    >>
    >> For more information on the factors that influence broadband speeds you
    >> can visit www.xtra.co.nz/speed
    >>
    >> You don't need to do anything, and we'll be in touch with you soon to
    >> keep you up to date.
    >>
    >> Kind regards
    >>

    > I think they should provide a detailed map showing the location of all
    > their phone exchnages, so we know how far we are from the exchanges.
    > It say a small number of customers won't be able to reach the maximim
    > speed, however I would think that it would be the majority of their
    > customers that wouldn't be able to reach maximum speed. I am in an urban
    > area, and I already don't reach maximum speed.

    I also did not receive full speed, and was running a dick smith adsl modem
    with dick smith phone line filter too

    But, a few weeks ago I won an Xtra wireless self install kit. This includes
    a dlink wireless adsl modem , and a new adsl filter.

    My connection speed literally went up to full speed as soon as I installed
    the new equipment. I'm not sure if it was the filter or the modem slowing
    down my connection (and quite significantly slower too).
    whome, Aug 3, 2006
  4. On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 15:10:38 +1200, "whome" <> wrote:

> [...]
    >>>

    >> I think they should provide a detailed map showing the location of all
    >> their phone exchnages, so we know how far we are from the exchanges.
    >> It say a small number of customers won't be able to reach the maximim
    >> speed, however I would think that it would be the majority of their
    >> customers that wouldn't be able to reach maximum speed. I am in an urban
    >> area, and I already don't reach maximum speed.
    >>

    >I also did not receive full speed, and was running a dick smith adsl modem
    >with dick smith phone line filter too
    >
    >But, a few weeks ago I won an Xtra wireless self install kit. This includes
    >a dlink wireless adsl modem , and a new adsl filter.
    >
    >My connection speed literally went up to full speed as soon as I installed
    >the new equipment. I'm not sure if it was the filter or the modem slowing
    >down my connection (and quite significantly slower too).

    That could be the difference between a 12 volt powered ADSL modem and
    a 24 volt one. The cheap units that use 12 V are unable to use the
    full signaling range available under the ADSL specifications, and are
    therefore much less good on lower quality lines.
    Stephen Worthington, Aug 3, 2006