    </musings>
    --
    Rule 6: There is no Rule 6.

    Shane, Apr 4, 2006

  2. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > OK.. I admit to being a little slow off the mark
    > But, if Xtra have blocked port 25, shouldnt that only affect incoming
    > mail, and not outgoing?
    > Therefore using smarthosts for sending makes little sense?
    > If my theory is correct, that kind of takes the puff out of xtras argument
    > of killing spam hosts wouldnt it?
    > </musings>

    Ha.. or is it blocking outgoing traffic meant for port 25.. in which case
    Ive just answered my own question.. and I deserve a medal :\
    --
    Rule 6: There is no Rule 6.

    Shane, Apr 4, 2006

  3. Shane

    Geopelia Guest

    xtra have just sent me a message about Port 25. Apparently I am using it.
    I've never heard of it, and haven't a clue what is going on.

    My computer man recently changed me to XP, and I recently upgraded to
    PC-cillin 2006. Dial up.

    I think if I don't do anything, xtra will do whatever they want with Port 25
    (whatever that is) and I won't notice any difference.
    Is this right please?

    (This isn't the scheme where you have to pay more, is it?)
    All I want from xtra is email, newsgroups and internet.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Apr 19, 2006
  4. Shane

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <_2h1g.13918$>,
    says...
    > xtra have just sent me a message about Port 25. Apparently I am using it.
    > I've never heard of it, and haven't a clue what is going on.
    >
    > My computer man recently changed me to XP, and I recently upgraded to
    > PC-cillin 2006. Dial up.
    >
    > I think if I don't do anything, xtra will do whatever they want with Port 25
    > (whatever that is) and I won't notice any difference.
    > Is this right please?
    >
    > (This isn't the scheme where you have to pay more, is it?)
    > All I want from xtra is email, newsgroups and internet.

    Well... one might presume that you are running a mailserver (one you
    didn't know about). And that it ain't your inbuilt XP server (IIS).
    You should check that: (Start, Control Panel, Admininstrative Tools,
    Services - Internet Information Services). It probably isn't running.
    That means some other SMTP server is running - probably a virus/malware
    that is sending out spam or copies of itself (virus).

    grc.com has a Port test you can do - which will quickly tell you if you
    have port 25 open.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Apr 19, 2006
  5. Shane

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <_2h1g.13918$>,
    > says...
    >> xtra have just sent me a message about Port 25. Apparently I am using it.
    >> I've never heard of it, and haven't a clue what is going on.
    >>
    >> My computer man recently changed me to XP, and I recently upgraded to
    >> PC-cillin 2006. Dial up.
    >>
    >> I think if I don't do anything, xtra will do whatever they want with Port
    >> 25
    >> (whatever that is) and I won't notice any difference.
    >> Is this right please?
    >>
    >> (This isn't the scheme where you have to pay more, is it?)
    >> All I want from xtra is email, newsgroups and internet.

    > Well... one might presume that you are running a mailserver (one you
    > didn't know about). And that it ain't your inbuilt XP server (IIS).
    > You should check that: (Start, Control Panel, Admininstrative Tools,
    > Services - Internet Information Services). It probably isn't running.
    > That means some other SMTP server is running - probably a virus/malware
    > that is sending out spam or copies of itself (virus).
    >
    > grc.com has a Port test you can do - which will quickly tell you if you
    > have port 25 open.
    >
    > --
    > Duncan

    Thank you. I found Services, there are a whole list of things, but Internet
    Information Services isn't anywhere on the list.

    I haven't got any viruses. I check and update every day. (PC-cillin 2006)
    There is nothing in the virus logs. I've got some cookies though.
    I had a look at grc.com but it is much too complicated for me.

    Maybe I should leave it to the computer man next time I have to get him out
    here.

    Thank you for your help.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Apr 19, 2006
  6. Geopelia wrote:
    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <_2h1g.13918$>,
    >> says...
    >>> xtra have just sent me a message about Port 25. Apparently I am using it.
    >>> I've never heard of it, and haven't a clue what is going on.
    >>>
    >>> My computer man recently changed me to XP, and I recently upgraded to
    >>> PC-cillin 2006. Dial up.
    >>>
    >>> I think if I don't do anything, xtra will do whatever they want with Port
    >>> 25
    >>> (whatever that is) and I won't notice any difference.
    >>> Is this right please?
    >>>
    >>> (This isn't the scheme where you have to pay more, is it?)
    >>> All I want from xtra is email, newsgroups and internet.

    >> Well... one might presume that you are running a mailserver (one you
    >> didn't know about). And that it ain't your inbuilt XP server (IIS).
    >> You should check that: (Start, Control Panel, Admininstrative Tools,
    >> Services - Internet Information Services). It probably isn't running.
    >> That means some other SMTP server is running - probably a virus/malware
    >> that is sending out spam or copies of itself (virus).
    >>
    >> grc.com has a Port test you can do - which will quickly tell you if you
    >> have port 25 open.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Duncan

    > Thank you. I found Services, there are a whole list of things, but Internet
    > Information Services isn't anywhere on the list.
    >
    > I haven't got any viruses. I check and update every day. (PC-cillin 2006)
    > There is nothing in the virus logs. I've got some cookies though.
    > I had a look at grc.com but it is much too complicated for me.
    >
    > Maybe I should leave it to the computer man next time I have to get him out
    > here.

    It's now 11:40pm, ten minutes after you posted this message. I just tried to
    connect to port 25 of your ip address as mentioned in the headers. If are still
    online and have been since you posted the message then in all probability your
    port 25 is closed to external connections. This is not proof that you do not
    have malware sending stuff through port 25.

    Relying on a single antivirus product is dangerous. No products detect all
    viruses, and viruses are getting very good at hiding themselves from antivirus
    products. This is especially true when you are running your scan under the
    system you suspect.

    Cookies will not cause the problem at hand.

    Perhaps you could ask Telecom to provide you with some more specific
    information on the activity.

    You should appraise yourself of all the "whole list of things" which are
    running on your machine to the extent where you can tell which are dodgy. Sorry
    about all the googling and learning and asking questions that this will entail.

    Mark Robinson, Apr 19, 2006
  7. Shane

    Geopelia Guest

    "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >>> In article <_2h1g.13918$>,
    >>> says...

    >>> Well... one might presume that you are running a mailserver (one you
    >>> didn't know about). And that it ain't your inbuilt XP server (IIS).
    >>> You should check that: (Start, Control Panel, Admininstrative Tools,
    >>> Services - Internet Information Services). It probably isn't running.
    >>> That means some other SMTP server is running - probably a virus/malware
    >>> that is sending out spam or copies of itself (virus).
    >>>
    >>> grc.com has a Port test you can do - which will quickly tell you if you
    >>> have port 25 open.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Duncan

    >> Thank you. I found Services, there are a whole list of things, but
    >> Internet Information Services isn't anywhere on the list.
    >>
    >> I haven't got any viruses. I check and update every day. (PC-cillin 2006)
    >> There is nothing in the virus logs. I've got some cookies though.
    >> I had a look at grc.com but it is much too complicated for me.
    >>
    >> Maybe I should leave it to the computer man next time I have to get him
    >> out here.

    > It's now 11:40pm, ten minutes after you posted this message. I just tried
    > to connect to port 25 of your ip address as mentioned in the headers. If
    > are still online and have been since you posted the message then in all
    > probability your port 25 is closed to external connections. This is not
    > proof that you do not have malware sending stuff through port 25.

    Yes, I've been here all the time. Thanks for checking.

    People are sending me emails that are getting through OK.

    > Relying on a single antivirus product is dangerous. No products detect all
    > viruses, and viruses are getting very good at hiding themselves from
    > antivirus products. This is especially true when you are running your scan
    > under the system you suspect.

    xtra also checks for viruses as well as PC-cillin. I sometimes get messages
    from programs I have never heard of saying a message contained a virus which
    they have deleted.

    > Cookies will not cause the problem at hand.
    >
    > Perhaps you could ask Telecom to provide you with some more specific
    > information on the activity.

    I don't know if there is any activity. I think xtra are sending this blue
    email out to everybody. Apparently they are going to filter things
    automatically and it won't make any difference. There is a place to send
    them an email and check. I did that.

    > You should appraise yourself of all the "whole list of things" which are
    > running on your machine to the extent where you can tell which are dodgy.
    > Sorry about all the googling and learning and asking questions that this
    > will entail.

    I wouldn't have a clue how to do that. I don't do anything with the works in
    case I mess things up. I let the computer man deal with any problems. So far
    XP is running much better than ME, which I used to have.

    Thank you for your help. I'll save your email for reference.

    Computers weren't invented when I went to school. I suppose kids today learn
    all this.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Apr 19, 2006
  8. Shane

    Malcolm Guest

    Geopelia wrote:

    > "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    >> Geopelia wrote:
    >>> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thank you. I found Services, there are a whole list of things, but
    >>> Internet Information Services isn't anywhere on the list.
    >>>
    >>> I haven't got any viruses. I check and update every day.
    >>> (PC-cillin 2006) There is nothing in the virus logs. I've got some
    >>> cookies though. I had a look at grc.com but it is much too
    >>> complicated for me.
    >>>
    >>> Maybe I should leave it to the computer man next time I have to
    >>> get him out here.

    >> It's now 11:40pm, ten minutes after you posted this message. I just
    >> tried to connect to port 25 of your ip address as mentioned in the
    >> headers. If are still online and have been since you posted the
    >> message then in all probability your port 25 is closed to external
    >> connections. This is not proof that you do not have malware sending
    >> stuff through port 25.

    > Yes, I've been here all the time. Thanks for checking.
    >
    > People are sending me emails that are getting through OK.
    >>
    >> Relying on a single antivirus product is dangerous. No products
    >> detect all viruses, and viruses are getting very good at hiding
    >> themselves from antivirus products. This is especially true when
    >> you are running your scan under the system you suspect.

    > xtra also checks for viruses as well as PC-cillin. I sometimes get
    > messages from programs I have never heard of saying a message
    > contained a virus which they have deleted.
    >>
    >> Cookies will not cause the problem at hand.
    >>
    >> Perhaps you could ask Telecom to provide you with some more
    >> specific information on the activity.

    > I don't know if there is any activity. I think xtra are sending this
    > blue
    > email out to everybody. Apparently they are going to filter things
    > automatically and it won't make any difference. There is a place to
    > send them an email and check. I did that.
    >

    >> You should appraise yourself of all the "whole list of things"
    >> which are running on your machine to the extent where you can tell
    >> which are dodgy. Sorry about all the googling and learning and
    >> asking questions that this will entail.

    > I wouldn't have a clue how to do that. I don't do anything with the
    > works in case I mess things up. I let the computer man deal with any
    > problems. So far XP is running much better than ME, which I used to
    > have.
    >
    > Thank you for your help. I'll save your email for reference.
    >
    > Computers weren't invented when I went to school. I suppose kids
    > today learn all this.
    >
    > Geopelia

    Hi
    I may pay to get your computer guy to disable the XP firewall and
    install a firewall like sygate
    ( http://www.tucows.com/preview/213160 ), the XP firewall doesn't
    block outbound ports...

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°

    Malcolm, Apr 19, 2006
  9. Shane

    Geopelia Guest

    "Malcolm" < > wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    > Hi
    > I may pay to get your computer guy to disable the XP firewall and
    > install a firewall like sygate
    > ( http://www.tucows.com/preview/213160 ), the XP firewall doesn't
    > block outbound ports...
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Malcolm °¿°

    Thank you. I'll save that for when the computer man comes.

    I don't know if I have the XP firewall, I suppose he installed everything,
    but I have the PC-cillin 2006 one. "Protect computer from internet attacks"
    is clicked.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Apr 19, 2006
  10. Shane

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <%ap1g.15230$>,
    says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <_2h1g.13918$>,
    > > says...
    > >> xtra have just sent me a message about Port 25. Apparently I am using it.
    > >> I've never heard of it, and haven't a clue what is going on.
    > >>
    > >> My computer man recently changed me to XP, and I recently upgraded to
    > >> PC-cillin 2006. Dial up.
    > >>
    > >> I think if I don't do anything, xtra will do whatever they want with Port
    > >> 25
    > >> (whatever that is) and I won't notice any difference.
    > >> Is this right please?
    > >>
    > >> (This isn't the scheme where you have to pay more, is it?)
    > >> All I want from xtra is email, newsgroups and internet.

    > > Well... one might presume that you are running a mailserver (one you
    > > didn't know about). And that it ain't your inbuilt XP server (IIS).
    > > You should check that: (Start, Control Panel, Admininstrative Tools,
    > > Services - Internet Information Services). It probably isn't running.
    > > That means some other SMTP server is running - probably a virus/malware
    > > that is sending out spam or copies of itself (virus).
    > >
    > > grc.com has a Port test you can do - which will quickly tell you if you
    > > have port 25 open.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Duncan

    > Thank you. I found Services, there are a whole list of things, but Internet
    > Information Services isn't anywhere on the list.
    >
    > I haven't got any viruses. I check and update every day. (PC-cillin 2006)
    > There is nothing in the virus logs. I've got some cookies though.
    > I had a look at grc.com but it is much too complicated for me.
    >
    > Maybe I should leave it to the computer man next time I have to get him out
    > here.
    >
    > Thank you for your help.

    If you have IIS installed - the Services you'll be looking/checking for
    are:
    FTP Publishing Service
    Simple Mail Tranport Protocol (SMTP)
    and
    World Wide Web Publishing Service

    If you see their Status is "Started" (the SMTP is the one that is
    relevant of course) - you should be concerned! :)

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Apr 28, 2006
  11. Shane

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <%ap1g.15230$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> > In article <_2h1g.13918$>,
    >> > says...

    >> > Well... one might presume that you are running a mailserver (one you
    >> > didn't know about). And that it ain't your inbuilt XP server (IIS).
    >> > You should check that: (Start, Control Panel, Admininstrative Tools,
    >> > Services - Internet Information Services). It probably isn't running.
    >> > That means some other SMTP server is running - probably a virus/malware
    >> > that is sending out spam or copies of itself (virus).
    >> >
    >> > grc.com has a Port test you can do - which will quickly tell you if you
    >> > have port 25 open.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Duncan

    >> Thank you. I found Services, there are a whole list of things, but
    >> Internet
    >> Information Services isn't anywhere on the list.
    >>
    >> I haven't got any viruses. I check and update every day. (PC-cillin 2006)
    >> There is nothing in the virus logs. I've got some cookies though.
    >> I had a look at grc.com but it is much too complicated for me.
    >>
    >> Maybe I should leave it to the computer man next time I have to get him
    >> out
    >> here.
    >>
    >> Thank you for your help.

    > If you have IIS installed - the Services you'll be looking/checking for
    > are:
    > FTP Publishing Service
    > Simple Mail Tranport Protocol (SMTP)
    > and
    > World Wide Web Publishing Service
    >
    > If you see their Status is "Started" (the SMTP is the one that is
    > relevant of course) - you should be concerned! :)
    >
    > --
    > Duncan

    Thank you.
    None of those are in my list of services. I don't know what IIS is but that
    is not on the list either. I've got XP.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Apr 28, 2006