xtra binaries

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by mr gumpy, Dec 1, 2005.

  1. mr gumpy

    mr gumpy Guest

    I updated my group list on the xtra news server today and I notice all the
    alt.binaries groups have gone. How long has thi been the case?
     
    mr gumpy, Dec 1, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. mr gumpy

    S Roby Guest

    In article <7Bujf.4989$>, "mr gumpy" <> wrote:
    >I updated my group list on the xtra news server today and I notice all the
    >alt.binaries groups have gone. How long has thi been the case?
    >


    I noticed this too
    Even legit/non porn binaries have gone
     
    S Roby, Dec 1, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. mr gumpy

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 07:46:08 GMT, in message
     <cPwjf.5022$>, S Roby wrote:

    > In article <7Bujf.4989$>, "mr gumpy" <> wrote:
    > >I updated my group list on the xtra news server today and I notice all the
    > >alt.binaries groups have gone. How long has thi been the case?
    > >

    >
    > I noticed this too
    > Even legit/non porn binaries have gone



    On 4 November 2005, the Xtra news server had 803 alt.binaries.* groups.
     
    Ralph Fox, Dec 1, 2005
    #3
  4. mr gumpy

    Squirrel Guest

    On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 09:44:51 +0000, Ralph Fox
    <-echo.invalid> wrote:

    >On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 07:46:08 GMT, in message
    > <cPwjf.5022$>, S Roby wrote:
    >
    >> In article <7Bujf.4989$>, "mr gumpy" <> wrote:
    >> >I updated my group list on the xtra news server today and I notice all the
    >> >alt.binaries groups have gone. How long has thi been the case?
    >> >

    >>
    >> I noticed this too
    >> Even legit/non porn binaries have gone

    >
    >
    >On 4 November 2005, the Xtra news server had 803 alt.binaries.* groups.
    >
    >
    >

    tell me more about binaries, why all the interest???


    =================================================================
    You are just jealous that the tiny voices aren't talking to you!
    =================================================================
     
    Squirrel, Dec 1, 2005
    #4
  5. mr gumpy

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 23:05:50 +1300, in message
     <>, Squirrel wrote:

    > On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 09:44:51 +0000, Ralph Fox
    > <-echo.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > >On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 07:46:08 GMT, in message
    > > <cPwjf.5022$>, S Roby wrote:
    > >
    > >> In article <7Bujf.4989$>, "mr gumpy" <> wrote:
    > >> >I updated my group list on the xtra news server today and I notice all the
    > >> >alt.binaries groups have gone. How long has thi been the case?
    > >> >
    > >>
    > >> I noticed this too
    > >> Even legit/non porn binaries have gone

    > >
    > >
    > >On 4 November 2005, the Xtra news server had 803 alt.binaries.* groups.
    > >
    > >
    > >

    > tell me more about binaries,



    4 November 2005 happens to be the date when I last downloaded a list of
    newsgroups from Xtra (I was testing Agent 3.1's "Download newsgroup
    descriptions" function).

    After reading this thread yesterday evening, I checked the downloaded
    list to count the number of alt.binaries.* groups.


    > why all the interest???



    There's multiple interest groups.


    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Seek and ye shall find,
    Ask and ye shall be flamed.
     
    Ralph Fox, Dec 1, 2005
    #5
  6. mr gumpy

    Enkidu Guest

    Squirrel wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 09:44:51 +0000, Ralph Fox
    > <-echo.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >
    >> On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 07:46:08 GMT, in message
    >> <cPwjf.5022$>, S Roby wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> In article <7Bujf.4989$>, "mr gumpy"
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I updated my group list on the xtra news server today and I
    >>>> notice all the alt.binaries groups have gone. How long has thi
    >>>> been the case?
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> I noticed this too Even legit/non porn binaries have gone

    >>
    >>
    >> On 4 November 2005, the Xtra news server had 803 alt.binaries.*
    >> groups.

    >
    > tell me more about binaries, why all the interest???
    >

    They'll tell you otherwise, but it's because they contain porn, or so
    I'm told.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
     
    Enkidu, Dec 1, 2005
    #6
  7. mr gumpy

    mr gumpy Guest

    "Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 09:44:51 +0000, Ralph Fox
    > <-echo.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 07:46:08 GMT, in message
    >> <cPwjf.5022$>, S Roby wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <7Bujf.4989$>, "mr gumpy"
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>> >I updated my group list on the xtra news server today and I notice all
    >>> >the
    >>> >alt.binaries groups have gone. How long has thi been the case?
    >>> >
    >>>
    >>> I noticed this too
    >>> Even legit/non porn binaries have gone

    >>
    >>
    >>On 4 November 2005, the Xtra news server had 803 alt.binaries.* groups.
    >>
    >>
    >>

    > tell me more about binaries, why all the interest???


    alt.binaries is an area used mostly for exchanging porn, pirated music, and
    other dubious binary files, but in amongst all the dross there are a few
    nuggets to be found. Some years ago xtra removed binaries from their news
    server (I believe because of pressure from the anti-porn lobby and possibly
    bandwidth issues ) then quietly reinstated them. I am interested to see that
    it is only in the last month they have disappeared again and wonder what the
    reason is this time.
     
    mr gumpy, Dec 1, 2005
    #7
  8. mr gumpy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Squirrel wrote:
    >> On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 09:44:51 +0000, Ralph Fox
    >> <-echo.invalid> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 07:46:08 GMT, in message
    >>> <cPwjf.5022$>, S Roby wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> In article <7Bujf.4989$>, "mr gumpy"
    >>>> <> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> I updated my group list on the xtra news server today and I
    >>>>> notice all the alt.binaries groups have gone. How long has thi
    >>>>> been the case?
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> I noticed this too Even legit/non porn binaries have gone
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> On 4 November 2005, the Xtra news server had 803 alt.binaries.*
    >>> groups.

    >>
    >> tell me more about binaries, why all the interest???
    >>

    > They'll tell you otherwise, but it's because they contain porn, or so
    > I'm told.


    My fiancee subscribes to a wildlife photography binaries group where she
    gets some amazing pictures.

    She may get porn as well. If she does she hasn't showed me any. However,
    she's constantly showing me pictures of wild animals in their natural
    habitat.
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, Dec 2, 2005
    #8
  9. mr gumpy

    S Roby Guest


    >> They'll tell you otherwise, but it's because they contain porn, or so
    >> I'm told.

    >


    alt.binaries.schematics.electronics
    I dont think many people will get aroused by these, but hey, bound to be a
    few.

    Its far easier to get porn by typing porn into google.
     
    S Roby, Dec 2, 2005
    #9
  10. mr gumpy

    Enkidu Guest

    S Roby wrote:
    >>> They'll tell you otherwise, but it's because they contain porn,
    >>> or so I'm told.

    >>

    >
    > alt.binaries.schematics.electronics I dont think many people will get
    > aroused by these, but hey, bound to be a few.
    >

    No need to respond, really. It was surely an obvious wind up, wasn't it?
    >
    > Its far easier to get porn by typing porn into google.
    >

    I wouldn't know. :cool:

    Cheers,

    Cliff
     
    Enkidu, Dec 2, 2005
    #10
  11. mr gumpy

    Squirrel Guest

    On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 10:36:04 +1300, "mr gumpy" <>
    wrote:

    >
    >"Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 09:44:51 +0000, Ralph Fox
    >> <-echo.invalid> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 07:46:08 GMT, in message
    >>> <cPwjf.5022$>, S Roby wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> In article <7Bujf.4989$>, "mr gumpy"
    >>>> <> wrote:
    >>>> >I updated my group list on the xtra news server today and I notice all
    >>>> >the
    >>>> >alt.binaries groups have gone. How long has thi been the case?
    >>>> >
    >>>>
    >>>> I noticed this too
    >>>> Even legit/non porn binaries have gone
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>On 4 November 2005, the Xtra news server had 803 alt.binaries.* groups.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >> tell me more about binaries, why all the interest???

    >
    >alt.binaries is an area used mostly for exchanging porn, pirated music, and
    >other dubious binary files, but in amongst all the dross there are a few
    >nuggets to be found. Some years ago xtra removed binaries from their news
    >server (I believe because of pressure from the anti-porn lobby and possibly
    >bandwidth issues ) then quietly reinstated them. I am interested to see that
    >it is only in the last month they have disappeared again and wonder what the
    >reason is this time.
    >

    someone posted they were still available this time last month, maybe I
    should ring them. Scooter loved alt.tasteless, I understand sick
    minded people loved this sght??????



    =================================================================
    You are just jealous that the tiny voices aren't talking to you!
    =================================================================
     
    Squirrel, Dec 2, 2005
    #11
  12. mr gumpy

    Squirrel Guest

    On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 14:49:18 +1300, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:

    >Enkidu wrote:
    >> Squirrel wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 09:44:51 +0000, Ralph Fox
    >>> <-echo.invalid> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 07:46:08 GMT, in message
    >>>> <cPwjf.5022$>, S Roby wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> In article <7Bujf.4989$>, "mr gumpy"
    >>>>> <> wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> I updated my group list on the xtra news server today and I
    >>>>>> notice all the alt.binaries groups have gone. How long has thi
    >>>>>> been the case?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I noticed this too Even legit/non porn binaries have gone
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> On 4 November 2005, the Xtra news server had 803 alt.binaries.*
    >>>> groups.
    >>>
    >>> tell me more about binaries, why all the interest???
    >>>

    >> They'll tell you otherwise, but it's because they contain porn, or so
    >> I'm told.

    >
    >My fiancee subscribes to a wildlife photography binaries group where she
    >gets some amazing pictures.
    >
    >She may get porn as well. If she does she hasn't showed me any. However,
    >she's constantly showing me pictures of wild animals in their natural
    >habitat.


    yep, those wild pussies can be fascinating lol



    =================================================================
    You are just jealous that the tiny voices aren't talking to you!
    =================================================================
     
    Squirrel, Dec 2, 2005
    #12
  13. mr gumpy

    Enkidu Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >>They'll tell you otherwise, but it's because they contain porn, or so
    >>I'm told.

    >
    > My fiancee subscribes to a wildlife photography binaries group where she
    > gets some amazing pictures.
    >

    Yeah, suuuuuure! Whales with 9m penises, chimps "doing it". It's as bad
    as the Discovery Channel, isn't it? :cool:
    >
    > She may get porn as well. If she does she hasn't showed me any. However,
    > she's constantly showing me pictures of wild animals in their natural
    > habitat.
    >

    Nudge, nudge, wink, wink!

    Cheers,

    Cliff
     
    Enkidu, Dec 2, 2005
    #13
  14. mr gumpy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> They'll tell you otherwise, but it's because they contain porn, or
    >>> so I'm told.

    >>
    >> My fiancee subscribes to a wildlife photography binaries group where
    >> she gets some amazing pictures.
    >>

    > Yeah, suuuuuure! Whales with 9m penises, chimps "doing it". It's as
    > bad as the Discovery Channel, isn't it? :cool:
    >>
    >> She may get porn as well. If she does she hasn't showed me any.
    >> However, she's constantly showing me pictures of wild animals in
    >> their natural habitat.
    >>

    > Nudge, nudge, wink, wink!


    LOL.
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, Dec 2, 2005
    #14
  15. mr gumpy

    Tim Lawson Guest

    On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 10:36:04 +1300, "mr gumpy" <>
    wrote:

    >
    >"Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 09:44:51 +0000, Ralph Fox
    >> <-echo.invalid> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 07:46:08 GMT, in message
    >>> <cPwjf.5022$>, S Roby wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> In article <7Bujf.4989$>, "mr gumpy"
    >>>> <> wrote:
    >>>> >I updated my group list on the xtra news server today and I notice all
    >>>> >the
    >>>> >alt.binaries groups have gone. How long has thi been the case?
    >>>> >
    >>>>
    >>>> I noticed this too
    >>>> Even legit/non porn binaries have gone
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>On 4 November 2005, the Xtra news server had 803 alt.binaries.* groups.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >> tell me more about binaries, why all the interest???

    >
    >alt.binaries is an area used mostly for exchanging porn, pirated music, and
    >other dubious binary files, but in amongst all the dross there are a few
    >nuggets to be found. Some years ago xtra removed binaries from their news
    >server (I believe because of pressure from the anti-porn lobby and possibly
    >bandwidth issues ) then quietly reinstated them. I am interested to see that
    >it is only in the last month they have disappeared again and wonder what the
    >reason is this time.
    >


    An email I received from Xtra today:
    "Dear Tim,

    Thank you for contacting the Team @ Xtra!

    We have been investigating the issue relating to binaries or file
    attachments
    as part of newsgroup posts not being received.

    Our technical team has discovered that our upstream provider for
    newsgroups
    has removed their binaries feeds.

    Subsequently Xtra has decided that we will not be sourcing an
    alternative
    provider to supply us with the newsgroups and removed those groups
    from our
    server.

    Kind regards
    Rudy"

    Cheers
    Tim Lawson
     
    Tim Lawson, Dec 4, 2005
    #15
  16. mr gumpy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <>, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote: (snip)
    >> My fiancee subscribes to a wildlife photography binaries group where
    >> she gets some amazing pictures.
    >>
    >> She may get porn as well. If she does she hasn't showed me any.
    >> However, she's constantly showing me pictures of wild animals in
    >> their natural habitat.

    >
    > you filthy swine ! :)


    LOL. Indeed.
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, Dec 5, 2005
    #16
  17. In article <>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    (snip)
    >My fiancee subscribes to a wildlife photography binaries group where she
    >gets some amazing pictures.
    >
    >She may get porn as well. If she does she hasn't showed me any. However,
    >she's constantly showing me pictures of wild animals in their natural
    >habitat.


    you filthy swine ! :)


    Bruce

    ----------------------------------------
    I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good
    people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and
    only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

    Lord Vetinari in Guards ! Guards ! - Terry Pratchett

    Caution ===== followups may have been changed to relevant groups
    (if there were any)
     
    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 5, 2005
    #17
  18. mr gumpy

    mr gumpy Guest

    "Tim Lawson" <tlawson@remove_this.xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Our technical team has discovered that our upstream provider for
    > newsgroups
    > has removed their binaries feeds.
    >
    > Subsequently Xtra has decided that we will not be sourcing an
    > alternative
    > provider to supply us with the newsgroups and removed those groups
    > from our
    > server.
    >
    > Kind regards
    > Rudy"
    >
    > Cheers
    > Tim Lawson


    Thanks Tim
     
    mr gumpy, Dec 5, 2005
    #18
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. R.K.K.

    Download Binaries on Thunderbird

    R.K.K., Jun 23, 2004, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    3,267
    Moz Champion
    Jun 25, 2004
  2. Rodrigo

    binaries in Thunderbird newsreader

    Rodrigo, Apr 26, 2005, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,032
    Doug G
    Apr 26, 2005
  3. billy99

    Binaries

    billy99, Jun 22, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,687
    °Mike°
    Jun 22, 2003
  4. eck eck

    Re: how about some help w/ binaries

    eck eck, Jun 24, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    466
    eck eck
    Jun 24, 2003
  5. Robert Schumacher

    Re: how about some help w/ binaries

    Robert Schumacher, Jun 24, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    503
    Robert Schumacher
    Jun 24, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page