    don't care about the customer and are run by an ugly chick, but I'm
    not asking for those thoughts.

    TIA
    Baldman, Aug 25, 2003

  2. Baldman

    T.N.O Guest

    "Baldman" wrote
    > So, my only question is, are there any reasons of a TECHNICAL nature,
    > why I should not consider Xtra?

    not that I can think of.

    Also, your clocks off by 12 hrs :)
    T.N.O, Aug 26, 2003

  3. On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 03:57:18 +1200, Baldman <> wrote:

    >Howdy all,
    >
    >I'm looking at taking my ADSL (Jetstart) over to Xtra - for too long
    >I've put up with flakey connections with other ISPs.. old adage, you
    >get what you pay for...
    >
    >So, my only question is, are there any reasons of a TECHNICAL nature,
    >why I should not consider Xtra?
    >
    >Yes I know all you tellyscum haters, they're big and full of money,
    >don't care about the customer and are run by an ugly chick, but I'm
    >not asking for those thoughts.
    >
    >TIA

    Yes dnload limit..
    Robert Kramer, Aug 26, 2003
  4. Baldman

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    "Ali P" <> wrote in

    > "Baldman" <> wrote in message
    >> Howdy all,
    >>
    >> I'm looking at taking my ADSL (Jetstart) over to Xtra - for too long
    >> I've put up with flakey connections with other ISPs.. old adage, you
    >> get what you pay for...
    >>
    >> So, my only question is, are there any reasons of a TECHNICAL nature,
    >> why I should not consider Xtra?
    >>
    >> Yes I know all you tellyscum haters, they're big and full of money,
    >> don't care about the customer and are run by an ugly chick, but I'm
    >> not asking for those thoughts.
    >>

    > Don't expect it to magically fix your connection probs. I experienced
    > micro-outages and slower than expected speeds occasionally with Xtra.
    > That was part of the reason I switched to Paradise but I experience
    > the same thing with them. I presume its a problem with the DSL service
    > in general and not the ISP supplying the data down the pipe.
    > When I was with Xtra the software that limits your bandwidth tended to
    > fall over now and then giving me full speed on my Jetstart plan. That
    > doesn't seem to happen with Paradise (I wish it did though).
    > Xtra give you 5 gigs per month on Jetstart, Paradise and other ISPs
    > give you 10 gigs. Also, I've heard that Xtra use data shaping to slow
    > your P2P apps to a crawl. I'm not sure how true that is. I do know
    > that Paradise don't do this.

    Have you considered Orcon ?

    --
    Chris Mayhew using Xnews !
    Chris Mayhew, Aug 26, 2003
  5. Baldman

    Evil Bastard Guest

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 03:57:18 +1200, Baldman wrote:

    > So, my only question is, are there any reasons of a TECHNICAL nature,
    > why I should not consider Xtra?

    I recommend *AGAINST* Xtra. Reasons:

    1) Their 'anti-servers' rule, which is especially problematic because they
    won't define exactly what they mean by 'server'

    2) Intellectual property issue - as a condition of use, they gain a
    perpetual license to everything that passes through your network,
    including your private emails, and have the right to send this information
    to any one at any time and for any reason.

    For instance, imagine reading the Sunday Star Times, and seeing your most
    intimate emails of 6 years ago.

    3) Lousy traffic quota - 5GB/month compared to 10GB/month with many other
    ISPs

    4) Mail server performance is often substandard. When I was with them,
    there were times when it would take 1 minute or more to retrieve each
    (small) message over POP connection. At the time, their help desk had a
    policy of denial and playing dumb.

    There are plenty of good ADSL providers that match or exceed Xtra's
    performance technically, and deliver more for less.

    EB
    Evil Bastard, Aug 26, 2003
  6. Baldman

    Baldman Guest

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 05:53:40 GMT, Chris Mayhew <> wrote:

    >"Ali P" <> wrote in
    >
    >> "Baldman" <> wrote in message
    >>> Howdy all,
    >>>
    >>> I'm looking at taking my ADSL (Jetstart) over to Xtra - for too long
    >>> I've put up with flakey connections with other ISPs.. old adage, you
    >>> get what you pay for...
    >>>
    >>> So, my only question is, are there any reasons of a TECHNICAL nature,
    >>> why I should not consider Xtra?
    >>>
    >>> Yes I know all you tellyscum haters, they're big and full of money,
    >>> don't care about the customer and are run by an ugly chick, but I'm
    >>> not asking for those thoughts.
    >>>

    >> Don't expect it to magically fix your connection probs. I experienced
    >> micro-outages and slower than expected speeds occasionally with Xtra.
    >> That was part of the reason I switched to Paradise but I experience
    >> the same thing with them. I presume its a problem with the DSL service
    >> in general and not the ISP supplying the data down the pipe.
    >> When I was with Xtra the software that limits your bandwidth tended to
    >> fall over now and then giving me full speed on my Jetstart plan. That
    >> doesn't seem to happen with Paradise (I wish it did though).
    >> Xtra give you 5 gigs per month on Jetstart, Paradise and other ISPs
    >> give you 10 gigs. Also, I've heard that Xtra use data shaping to slow
    >> your P2P apps to a crawl. I'm not sure how true that is. I do know
    >> that Paradise don't do this.
    >>

    >Have you considered Orcon ?

    I did try Orcon some time back... to be fair, it was probably close to
    12 months ago. I found at the time that they were in serious need of
    some more bandwidth... this may have changed now of course, being so
    far down the track... so I'll pop over and pay them a visit... thanks
    for the suggestion :)
    Baldman, Aug 26, 2003
  7. Baldman

    PaulW Guest

    Chris Mayhew <> wrote:

    >"Ali P" <> wrote in
    >
    >> "Baldman" <> wrote in message
    >>> Howdy all,
    >>>
    >>> I'm looking at taking my ADSL (Jetstart) over to Xtra - for too long
    >>> I've put up with flakey connections with other ISPs.. old adage, you
    >>> get what you pay for...
    >>>
    >>> So, my only question is, are there any reasons of a TECHNICAL nature,
    >>> why I should not consider Xtra?
    >>>
    >>> Yes I know all you tellyscum haters, they're big and full of money,
    >>> don't care about the customer and are run by an ugly chick, but I'm
    >>> not asking for those thoughts.
    >>>

    >> Don't expect it to magically fix your connection probs. I experienced
    >> micro-outages and slower than expected speeds occasionally with Xtra.
    >> That was part of the reason I switched to Paradise but I experience
    >> the same thing with them. I presume its a problem with the DSL service
    >> in general and not the ISP supplying the data down the pipe.
    >> When I was with Xtra the software that limits your bandwidth tended to
    >> fall over now and then giving me full speed on my Jetstart plan. That
    >> doesn't seem to happen with Paradise (I wish it did though).
    >> Xtra give you 5 gigs per month on Jetstart, Paradise and other ISPs
    >> give you 10 gigs. Also, I've heard that Xtra use data shaping to slow
    >> your P2P apps to a crawl. I'm not sure how true that is. I do know
    >> that Paradise don't do this.
    >>

    >Have you considered Orcon ?

    I switched from Xtra to Orcon about a years ago. Never regretted it..
    PaulW, Aug 26, 2003
  8. Baldman

    Callum Guest

    wrote:

    >Howdy all,
    >
    >I'm looking at taking my ADSL (Jetstart) over to Xtra - for too long
    >I've put up with flakey connections with other ISPs.. old adage, you
    >get what you pay for...
    >
    >So, my only question is, are there any reasons of a TECHNICAL nature,
    >why I should not consider Xtra?
    >
    >Yes I know all you tellyscum haters, they're big and full of money,
    >don't care about the customer and are run by an ugly chick, but I'm
    >not asking for those thoughts.
    >
    >TIA

    Never had any probs with speed average 15k on most downloads also good
    game pings they just need to make it cheaper for the average joe.
    Callum, Aug 26, 2003
  9. Baldman

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    wrote:

    >Howdy all,
    >
    >I'm looking at taking my ADSL (Jetstart) over to Xtra - for too long
    >I've put up with flakey connections with other ISPs.. old adage, you
    >get what you pay for...
    >
    >So, my only question is, are there any reasons of a TECHNICAL nature,
    >why I should not consider Xtra?
    >
    >Yes I know all you tellyscum haters, they're big and full of money,
    >don't care about the customer and are run by an ugly chick, but I'm
    >not asking for those thoughts.

    I've been with Xtra for about 7 years & come to know them reasonably
    well. From a technical perspective I can't see many reasons to
    recommend them, for the largest ISP in a small country their network
    performance is pretty pathetic really. You frequently get DNS errors,
    routing problems, slow web browsing & noticeable lags when clicking on
    links. Some evenings, in times of high internet usage, you may as well
    use a 9600 baud modem Their email service is lamentable, with
    frequent server timeouts and very poor upload speeds when sending
    mail.

    On the good side their virus scanning service is beneficial. On the
    bad side they never admit to faults or problems & their poor
    bedraggled helldesk workers are programmed to never put you through to
    someone in authority whose arse you can kick when things are at their
    worst. Their coalface types are all good from my experience, Xtra
    problems are higher up in the ladder....beancounter level no doubt.

    All in all I can't say they're a particularly good ISP, but sad to say
    they're probably much on a par with all the others out there from what
    I've seen of the rest. I'm too lazy to change & don't have any more
    confidence in the rest so prefer to keep using them. I also find it
    useful from a technical perspective to use Xtra just so I can observe
    how they run & what standards they set.

    Gavin
    Gavin Tunney, Aug 26, 2003
  10. Baldman

    T.N.O Guest

    "Gavin Tunney" wrote
    > On the good side their virus scanning service is beneficial. On the
    > bad side they never admit to faults or problems & their poor
    > bedraggled helldesk workers are programmed to never put you through to
    > someone in authority whose arse you can kick when things are at their
    > worst.

    If after hours, try 0800 teletech, this is the number for the contractor for
    the helpdesk, from memory, the Xtra Team Leader Station answer it after 5
    T.N.O, Aug 26, 2003
  11. Baldman

    Who is this Guest

    In article <pan.2003.08.26.10.09.16.601790@127.0.0.1>,
    Evil Bastard <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    > Anyone who runs their own web, mail or ftp servers, definitely.

    But like a lot of things, you knew the rules when you signed up so you
    can not complain later. There are other options which will allow the
    running of servers and higher bandwidth....but then again I guess you
    don't want to pay for the service you are demanding.

    > >> For instance, imagine reading the Sunday Star Times, and seeing your most
    > >> intimate emails of 6 years ago.

    > > FUD.

    > Yes - and admittedly deliberate - but not an inconceivable scenario. Xtra
    > would be totally within their rights to do this.

    Just as it is equally likely the police can claim anyone is dealing in
    drugs and not need a warrant to search their house, car, place of work,
    etc.

    > > Who cares, I am yet to break 1.5G in the last 9 months and have only
    > > gobe above 1G once.

    > I hear you - traffic is not such an issue for you then.
    >
    > As for me, I usually run at about 2.5GB, but sometimes spike up to around
    > 7-9 GB. Don't like getting surprise bills.

    If what you are doing has a commercial basis then tough. Every other
    business has overheads and they simply build them into the rpice of
    their goods/service they sell.

    > > However AFAIK telstra/clear are teaming up with Walker wireless
    > > who will be offering a 256k service. may be worth waiting for.

    > Oh yum!
    > If they get that up and running, with decent traffic quota and reasonable
    > fee, I'll be one of the first to join.

    I too will join but for different reasons. I object to paying more than
    some do in Wewllington and Christchurch simply because they is
    opposition there. I object to being seen as a meothod to protect
    profits, and thousands of tohers are too. If I were a shareholder in
    Telecom I would be dumping them because as soon as people can many leave
    telecom, and if the local loop gets unbundled then that will happen in a
    rush and shares will plumet.
    Who is this, Aug 26, 2003
  12. Baldman

    Evil Bastard Guest

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 08:00:12 +1200, Who is this wrote:

    > I too will join but for different reasons. I object to paying more than
    > some do in Wewllington and Christchurch simply because they is
    > opposition there. I object to being seen as a meothod to protect
    > profits, and thousands of tohers are too. If I were a shareholder in
    > Telecom I would be dumping them because as soon as people can many leave
    > telecom, and if the local loop gets unbundled then that will happen in a
    > rush and shares will plumet.

    You might want to call your broker and find out about the availability of
    TEL shorting stock.

    People were telling last year me the Warehouse was gonna crash. I had one
    broker very keen to cut me in to a short. Still kicking myself that I
    didn't do it.
    Evil Bastard, Aug 27, 2003
  13. Baldman

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 22:58:17 +1200, "T.N.O" <> wrote:

    >"Gavin Tunney" wrote
    >> On the good side their virus scanning service is beneficial. On the
    >> bad side they never admit to faults or problems & their poor
    >> bedraggled helldesk workers are programmed to never put you through to
    >> someone in authority whose arse you can kick when things are at their
    >> worst.

    >If after hours, try 0800 teletech, this is the number for the contractor for
    >the helpdesk, from memory, the Xtra Team Leader Station answer it after 5

    Nah, I don't have any problems with the helpdesk staff...always been
    fine when I've spoken with them. It's the bozos upstairs who make all
    the decisions & then make sure that the poor saps downstairs get all
    the flak are the ones I get annoyed with.

    Telecom is a funny company IMO. The beancounters have obviously got
    too much power & push their weight around to the detriment of the
    technical side of the business. But that said the general staff there
    have always been very good in my experience. Can moan about "Xtra" but
    I can't complain about the workers at the coalface.

    GT
    Gavin Tunney, Aug 27, 2003
  14. Baldman

    colinco Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Telecom is a funny company IMO. The beancounters have obviously got
    > too much power & push their weight around to the detriment of the
    > technical side of the business. But that said the general staff there
    > have always been very good in my experience. Can moan about "Xtra" but
    > I can't complain about the workers at the coalface.

    The coalface is usually managed by a company contracted to Telecom
    (Who've outsourced everything but beancounting :))
    colinco, Aug 28, 2003