    the explorer plan!.

    Anyone else getting poor download speeds from int sites?

    David

    David D, Aug 15, 2005

  2. "David D" <> wrote in message
    news:WT6Me.3119$...
    > Since having to switch to another isp because of the jetstream issue, i
    > chose xtra to avoid the UBS business, im getting 230k download speeds from
    > NZ sites, but all international sites are giving me around 9k to 27k
    > download speeds.
    >
    > Is Xtra limiting international traffic??, i was with Paradise jetstream
    > explorer last month and getting 32k from all sites, so it's a bit
    > disapointing to be paying more for the 2Mbit plan and getting less than
    > the explorer plan!.
    >
    > Anyone else getting poor download speeds from int sites?
    >
    > David

    International sites should be fast too.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Aug 15, 2005

  3. David D

    Tony Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:26:27 +1200, David D <> wrote:

    >Since having to switch to another isp because of the jetstream issue, i
    >chose xtra to avoid the UBS business, im getting 230k download speeds
    >from NZ sites, but all international sites are giving me around 9k to
    >27k download speeds.
    >
    >Is Xtra limiting international traffic??, i was with Paradise jetstream
    >explorer last month and getting 32k from all sites, so it's a bit
    >disapointing to be paying more for the 2Mbit plan and getting less than
    >the explorer plan!.
    >
    >Anyone else getting poor download speeds from int sites?
    >
    >David

    I think every body is..

    Overloaded System..?

    Or Telescum tricks..

    Tony, Aug 15, 2005
  4. David D

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:49:53 +1200, Tony
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:26:27 +1200, David D <> wrote:
    >
    >>Since having to switch to another isp because of the jetstream issue, i
    >>chose xtra to avoid the UBS business, im getting 230k download speeds
    >>from NZ sites, but all international sites are giving me around 9k to
    >>27k download speeds.
    >>
    >>Is Xtra limiting international traffic??, i was with Paradise jetstream
    >>explorer last month and getting 32k from all sites, so it's a bit
    >>disapointing to be paying more for the 2Mbit plan and getting less than
    >>the explorer plan!.
    >>
    >>Anyone else getting poor download speeds from int sites?
    >>
    >>David

    >I think every body is..
    >
    >Overloaded System..?
    >
    >Or Telescum tricks..

    I'm getting 702 Kb on a 1Mb connection to www.bandwidthplace.com
    through xtra.

    Bret, Aug 16, 2005
  5. David D

    David D Guest

    Bret wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:49:53 +1200, Tony
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:26:27 +1200, David D <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Since having to switch to another isp because of the jetstream issue, i
    >>>chose xtra to avoid the UBS business, im getting 230k download speeds

    >>>from NZ sites, but all international sites are giving me around 9k to

    >>>27k download speeds.
    >>>
    >>>Is Xtra limiting international traffic??, i was with Paradise jetstream
    >>>explorer last month and getting 32k from all sites, so it's a bit
    >>>disapointing to be paying more for the 2Mbit plan and getting less than
    >>>the explorer plan!.
    >>>
    >>>Anyone else getting poor download speeds from int sites?
    >>>
    >>>David

    >>I think every body is..
    >>
    >>Overloaded System..?
    >>
    >>Or Telescum tricks..
    >>

    > I'm getting 702 Kb on a 1Mb connection to www.bandwidthplace.com
    > through xtra.

    To keep everybody on the same playing field what is your download speed
    for downloading Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ im
    getting 40.1KB/Sec at lunchtime today.
    NZ sites in still getting around 230KB/Sec.

    David

    David D, Aug 16, 2005
  6. David D

    PC Guest

    "David D" <> wrote in message

    big snip

    >> I'm getting 702 Kb on a 1Mb connection to www.bandwidthplace.com
    >> through xtra.

    > To keep everybody on the same playing field what is your download speed
    > for downloading Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ im
    > getting 40.1KB/Sec at lunchtime today.
    > NZ sites in still getting around 230KB/Sec.
    >
    > David

    Just got 695Kb/sec

    Paul

    PC, Aug 16, 2005
  7. David D

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message

    > "David D" <> wrote in message
    >>

    > big snip
    >

    >>> I'm getting 702 Kb on a 1Mb connection to www.bandwidthplace.com
    >>> through xtra.

    >> To keep everybody on the same playing field what is your download speed
    >> for downloading Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ im
    >> getting 40.1KB/Sec at lunchtime today.
    >> NZ sites in still getting around 230KB/Sec.
    >>
    >> David

    > Just got 695Kb/sec
    >
    > Paul
    >i got 109Kb/sec

    Krazy B.

    Krazy Bob, Aug 16, 2005
  8. David D

    David D Guest

    PC wrote:
    > "David D" <> wrote in message

    >>To keep everybody on the same playing field what is your download speed
    >>for downloading Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ im
    >>getting 40.1KB/Sec at lunchtime today.
    >>NZ sites in still getting around 230KB/Sec.
    >>
    >>David

    > Just got 695Kb/sec
    >
    > Paul

    ISP & the current plan that you are on, thanks.

    David

    David D, Aug 16, 2005
  9. David D

    David D Guest

    Krazy Bob wrote:
    > "PC" <> wrote in message

    >>>To keep everybody on the same playing field what is your download speed
    >>>for downloading Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ im
    >>>getting 40.1KB/Sec at lunchtime today.
    >>>NZ sites in still getting around 230KB/Sec.
    >>>
    >>>David

    >>i got 109Kb/sec

    > Krazy B.

    ISP & current plan that you are on , thanks.

    David

    David D, Aug 16, 2005
  10. David D

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:32:55 +1200, David D <>
    wrote:

    >Bret wrote:
    >> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:49:53 +1200, Tony
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>I think every body is..
    >>>
    >>>Overloaded System..?
    >>>
    >>>Or Telescum tricks..
    >>>

    >> I'm getting 702 Kb on a 1Mb connection to www.bandwidthplace.com
    >> through xtra.

    >To keep everybody on the same playing field what is your download speed
    >for downloading Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ im
    >getting 40.1KB/Sec at lunchtime today.
    >NZ sites in still getting around 230KB/Sec.
    >
    >David

    31.9KB for Mozilla.

    Bret, Aug 16, 2005
  11. David D

    Tony Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 16:39:36 +1200, Bret <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:32:55 +1200, David D <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Bret wrote:

    >>> I'm getting 702 Kb on a 1Mb connection to www.bandwidthplace.com
    >>> through xtra.

    >>To keep everybody on the same playing field what is your download speed
    >>for downloading Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ im
    >>getting 40.1KB/Sec at lunchtime today.
    >>NZ sites in still getting around 230KB/Sec.
    >>
    >>David

    >31.9KB for Mozilla.

    Not very fast for a 1 meg link.

    My 256kbs Cable gives me around 14-15KBs..

    Me think one should check the error rate or do run this, I think its a Must
    for every ADSL & Cable users.

    http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

    You will also need to grab this..

    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/578

    Can the Slow users give some feed back after using it..

    Like is it still slow..?

    Thanks

    Tony, Aug 16, 2005
  12. David D

    EMB Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > Not very fast for a 1 meg link.
    >

    > My 256kbs Cable gives me around 14-15KBs..

    Not very fast for a "fast" connection. My father's 256kb/s ADSL brings
    it down at ~30kB/sec.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Aug 16, 2005
  13. David D

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:11:46 +1200, Tony
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 16:39:36 +1200, Bret <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:32:55 +1200, David D <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>To keep everybody on the same playing field what is your download speed
    >>>for downloading Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ im
    >>>getting 40.1KB/Sec at lunchtime today.
    >>>NZ sites in still getting around 230KB/Sec.
    >>>
    >>>David

    >>31.9KB for Mozilla.

    >Not very fast for a 1 meg link.
    >

    >My 256kbs Cable gives me around 14-15KBs.

    I get 99KB from www.bandwidthplace.com Roger, so looks like you have a
    slow 256Kb connection.

    Bret, Aug 16, 2005
  14. David D

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:57:37 +1200, PC wrote:

    > "David D" <> wrote in message
    >>

    > big snip
    >

    >>> I'm getting 702 Kb on a 1Mb connection to www.bandwidthplace.com
    >>> through xtra.

    >> To keep everybody on the same playing field what is your download speed
    >> for downloading Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ im
    >> getting 40.1KB/Sec at lunchtime today.
    >> NZ sites in still getting around 230KB/Sec.
    >>
    >> David

    > Just got 695Kb/sec
    >
    > Paul

    And your account type is ?

    --

    .... Brendan

    #171987 +(5636)- [X]

    <Th3No0b> Im going to be the next hitler
    <Th3No0b> Im going to kill all the jews and 1 clown
    <RageAgainsttheAmish> why the clown
    <Th3No0b> See? no one cares about the jews
    <RageAgainsttheAmish> lmao

    Note: All my comments are copyright 16/08/2005 4:03:08 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Aug 16, 2005
  15. David D

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:32:55 +1200, David D wrote:

    > Bret wrote:
    >> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:49:53 +1200, Tony
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>I think every body is..
    >>>
    >>>Overloaded System..?
    >>>
    >>>Or Telescum tricks..
    >>>

    >> I'm getting 702 Kb on a 1Mb connection to www.bandwidthplace.com
    >> through xtra.

    > To keep everybody on the same playing field what is your download speed
    > for downloading Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ im
    > getting 40.1KB/Sec at lunchtime today.
    > NZ sites in still getting around 230KB/Sec.
    >
    > David

    I'm getting 80kilobytes/sec, but after a minute it slowed to 50....

    UBS.

    Fucking telecom. Fucking orcon.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #246405 +(3979)- [X]

    <[BAC]Draxon|TWL> "The animals will hear!" bellowed the ear licking
    penguin as the awesomely endowed midget sucked her oozing charlies and
    plugged his purple middle leg into her festering ****.
    <[BAC]Draxon|TWL> oops
    <[BAC]Draxon|TWL> wrong window
    <d|syztem> what the ****

    Note: All my comments are copyright 16/08/2005 4:01:50 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Aug 16, 2005
  16. "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 16:39:36 +1200, Bret <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:32:55 +1200, David D <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>To keep everybody on the same playing field what is your download speed
    >>>for downloading Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ im
    >>>getting 40.1KB/Sec at lunchtime today.
    >>>NZ sites in still getting around 230KB/Sec.
    >>>
    >>>David

    >>31.9KB for Mozilla.

    > Not very fast for a 1 meg link.
    >

    > My 256kbs Cable gives me around 14-15KBs..

    I get ~ 245KB/sec on 2Mbit paradise cable downloading firefox from
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/. The odd thing is, I didn't even
    need a multistream d/l manager to get that speed; just firefox's own scummy
    d/l manager. David really needs to roast Telecom over this one. There's no
    way he should be paying for a 2Mb account when he's getting a mere
    9-27KB/sec international traffic.

    Tony.

    The Black Wibble, Aug 16, 2005
  17. David D

    David D Guest

    Re: Xtra 2Mbps International Download Speeds-Slow-Fixed!!

    The Black Wibble wrote:
    > "Tony" <> wrote in message

    > I get ~ 245KB/sec on 2Mbit paradise cable downloading firefox from
    > http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/. The odd thing is, I didn't even
    > need a multistream d/l manager to get that speed; just firefox's own scummy
    > d/l manager. David really needs to roast Telecom over this one. There's no
    > way he should be paying for a 2Mb account when he's getting a mere
    > 9-27KB/sec international traffic.
    >
    > Tony.

    OK, after much googling and talking to a few other people the fault lies
    at my end!!, as i use a Dlink ADSL wireless router, the router is a
    802.11b model 11Mbps.

    I decided to check the speed when i plug the laptop into the router
    dirctly via a network cable, suddenly i get full speed downloads from
    international sites, when i go wireless i get approx 80% speed
    reduction, so it's some issue with the wireless 11Mbps speed not being
    fast enough as the 100Mbps network cable connection.

    Strange though that national sites come down at full speed on wireless
    but international sites dont.
    I tried changing channels on the router, and disabling WEP encryption
    etc, no change, so at this stage i put it down to the 11Mbps throughput
    not being fast enough, anyway when im around the house i can go wireless
    and when im at the desk i can plug in to the router and get my full
    2Mbit connection.

    David

    David D, Aug 16, 2005
  18. David D

    PC Guest

    "David D" <> wrote in message
    > PC wrote:
    >> "David D" <> wrote in message

    >>>To keep everybody on the same playing field what is your download speed
    >>>for downloading Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ im
    >>>getting 40.1KB/Sec at lunchtime today.
    >>>NZ sites in still getting around 230KB/Sec.
    >>>
    >>>David

    >> Just got 695Kb/sec
    >>
    >> Paul

    > ISP & the current plan that you are on, thanks.
    >
    > David

    Xtra, 2Mbit (they call it the "Adventure" plan)
    Paul.

    PC, Aug 16, 2005
  19. David D

    H.O.G Guest

    Re: Xtra 2Mbps International Download Speeds-Slow-Fixed!!

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 08:46:52 +1200, David D <>
    spoke these fine words:

    >OK, after much googling and talking to a few other people the fault lies
    >at my end!!, as i use a Dlink ADSL wireless router, the router is a
    >802.11b model 11Mbps.
    >
    >I decided to check the speed when i plug the laptop into the router
    >dirctly via a network cable, suddenly i get full speed downloads from
    >international sites, when i go wireless i get approx 80% speed
    >reduction, so it's some issue with the wireless 11Mbps speed not being
    >fast enough as the 100Mbps network cable connection.
    >
    >Strange though that national sites come down at full speed on wireless
    >but international sites dont.
    >I tried changing channels on the router, and disabling WEP encryption
    >etc, no change, so at this stage i put it down to the 11Mbps throughput
    >not being fast enough, anyway when im around the house i can go wireless
    >and when im at the desk i can plug in to the router and get my full
    >2Mbit connection.
    >
    >David

    802.11b is 11Mbps (although it is half duplex). ADSL is 2Mbps.

    Unless you have a lot of traffic, the problem in not in the fact that
    you are using wireless.

    What is your signal strength like? Is it different if you are about 2m
    from the AP?

    H.O.G, Aug 17, 2005
  20. David D

    H.O.G wrote:
    > On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 08:46:52 +1200, David D <>
    > spoke these fine words:
    >

    >>OK, after much googling and talking to a few other people the fault lies
    >>at my end!!, as i use a Dlink ADSL wireless router, the router is a
    >>802.11b model 11Mbps.
    >>
    >>I decided to check the speed when i plug the laptop into the router
    >>dirctly via a network cable, suddenly i get full speed downloads from
    >>international sites, when i go wireless i get approx 80% speed
    >>reduction, so it's some issue with the wireless 11Mbps speed not being
    >>fast enough as the 100Mbps network cable connection.
    >>
    >>Strange though that national sites come down at full speed on wireless
    >>but international sites dont.
    >>I tried changing channels on the router, and disabling WEP encryption
    >>etc, no change, so at this stage i put it down to the 11Mbps throughput
    >>not being fast enough, anyway when im around the house i can go wireless
    >>and when im at the desk i can plug in to the router and get my full
    >>2Mbit connection.
    >>
    >>David

    > 802.11b is 11Mbps (although it is half duplex). ADSL is 2Mbps.
    >
    > Unless you have a lot of traffic, the problem in not in the fact that
    > you are using wireless.
    >
    > What is your signal strength like? Is it different if you are about 2m
    > from the AP?

    Signal is fine, and i get the same results if im close to the router and
    the same if im further away, the only thing that works is plugging in to
    the router directly, same issue using jetstreamgames login etc, faster
    speed when plugged in, slower when wireless, also tried another laptop
    with 802.11b card same problem.

    David

    David D, Aug 17, 2005