    Or can I just buy an XT license & just enter the new number
    into the new computer?

    Anyone know how this works?
    Why, May 23, 2005

  2. Why

    Guest

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 16:27:02 GMT, Why <> wrote:

    |>XT license question?
    |>I'm building a new computer (new case , HD's motherboard &
    |>monitor). I'm ghosting the HD's from old to new. I want
    |>to keep the old computer as a back-up only, case the new
    |>one has trouble.
    |>
    |>Now if I buy another copy of XT home I think I will have
    |>to do a clean install which I don't want to do as I have
    |>100's of old programs on the old one & the ghost clone
    |>brings them all over.
    |>
    |>Can a new copy of XT just do a restore & get a new license?
    |>Or can I just buy an XT license & just enter the new number
    |>into the new computer?

    So many questions... like what's XT, I assume XP; and why you would
    purchase another copy of XP if you are already using it, unless this
    is an upgrade.

    When you pull your old system to your new one you will need to run the
    XP CD repair option and load new drivers, this should also kick in the
    license, just use your old one.

    --
    , May 23, 2005

  3. Why

    Why Guest

    >So many questions... like what's XT, I assume XP; and why you would
    >purchase another copy of XP if you are already using it, unless this
    >is an upgrade.
    >
    >When you pull your old system to your new one you will need to run the
    >XP CD repair option and load new drivers, this should also kick in the
    >license, just use your old one.

    Sorry, I did mean XP just remember my old XT computer, long time ago.
    Right after the Commodore ;)

    So it's ok since my old one will not be used "unless" the new one
    die's ( motherboard & new memory & 4 new HD's video card). Lot to go
    wrong in the first month. If it does I will need to RMA stuff & put my
    old one back to work while I'm waiting...
    So microsoft won't get pissed having to online re-set the XP license?
    Why, May 23, 2005
  4. Why

    Why Guest

    Why, May 23, 2005
  5. Why

    Plato Guest

    Why wrote:

    > So microsoft won't get pissed having to online re-set the XP license?

    If it doesnt work online, then just call for the info you need.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, May 23, 2005
  6. Why

    Ron Martell Guest

    Why <> wrote:

    >XT license question?
    >I'm building a new computer (new case , HD's motherboard &
    >monitor). I'm ghosting the HD's from old to new. I want
    >to keep the old computer as a back-up only, case the new
    >one has trouble.
    >
    >Now if I buy another copy of XT home I think I will have
    >to do a clean install which I don't want to do as I have
    >100's of old programs on the old one & the ghost clone
    >brings them all over.
    >
    >Can a new copy of XT just do a restore & get a new license?
    >Or can I just buy an XT license & just enter the new number
    >into the new computer?
    >
    >Anyone know how this works?

    If you use ghost or other disk cloning software to transfer your old
    hard drive content to the new hard drive then you will also have to do
    a Repair Install of your Windows XP in order to configure it to work
    with the new motherboard and other hardware. The install process for
    Windows XP (and all NT based versions of Windows) customizes the
    installed result for the specific hardware in the computer to a much
    greater extent that does the 9x versions of Windows. But even the 9x
    versions (95/98/Me) require considerable tweaking when a motherboard
    is replaced.

    A Repair Install will preserve your user data files, installed
    applications, and program configuration settings. Windows updates
    will have to be reinstalled.
    See http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm for detailed
    instructions.

    One further point. If your Windows XP CD is the original release or
    service pack 1 version of XP and if your installed XP has been
    upgraded to Service Pack 2 then you will need to create a new
    installation CD with Service Pack 2 slipstreamed into it. See
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
    http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
    for detailed instructions.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
    Ron Martell, May 23, 2005
  7. Why

    Gort Guest

    Why wrote:
    >>So many questions... like what's XT, I assume XP; and why you would
    >>purchase another copy of XP if you are already using it, unless this
    >>is an upgrade.
    >>
    >>When you pull your old system to your new one you will need to run the
    >>XP CD repair option and load new drivers, this should also kick in the
    >>license, just use your old one.

    > Sorry, I did mean XP just remember my old XT computer, long time ago.
    > Right after the Commodore ;)
    >
    > So it's ok since my old one will not be used "unless" the new one
    > die's ( motherboard & new memory & 4 new HD's video card). Lot to go
    > wrong in the first month. If it does I will need to RMA stuff & put my
    > old one back to work while I'm waiting...
    > So microsoft won't get pissed having to online re-set the XP license?

    I've had to "phone home" 3 times so far. As long as you have a
    legitimate reason there's no problem; they are very nice, polite, and
    helpful.

    Those that have problems with them are evidently those who decide to
    berate the Techs about the policy, which they have no control of.

    ( No, I have no affiliation with Microsoft. But I do appreciate getting
    help when I need it.)

    inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know
    how to ignore a posting,complain to me and I will demonstrate.
    Gort, May 24, 2005