    been caused by the attempt to run x64 ?

    Thanks for any help, as our IT man is currently not available.

    Martin

    Martin G, Sep 25, 2007

  2. Operating systems should always be installed in separate partitions. The
    older operating system should be installed first unless you know how to
    configure the boot order.

    x64 XP uses WINDOWS\system32 and Program Files for 64-bit files.
    32-bit components are in WINDOWS\SysWOW64 and Program Files (x86).

    32-bit XP uses WINDOWS\system32 and Program Files for 32-bit files, so if
    both versions of XP are on the same partition there will be confusion.

    ..

    Dominic Payer, Sep 25, 2007

  3. This is absolutely NOT a supported configuration. And a really bad idea. you
    need to wipe that partition and start over. If you're going to dual boot,
    use two partitions. Install 32-bit XP first, then install XP x64. See my
    blog posts on multi-booting for details.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 25, 2007
  4. Martin G

    Martin G Guest

    Hi all

    After further investigation it appears that the IT man has installed XP into
    a folder other than the default so as not to overwrite the x64 installation.
    I have passed on your advise and it looks like the current workaround is to
    remove the dual boot option till he rebuilds the PC.

    Thanks

    Martin

    Martin G, Sep 26, 2007
  5. Even in a non-default folder it's a BAD IDEA. There are other folders
    involved, and the view of the file system is different between 64-bit and
    32-bit. The system needs a wipe and rebuild.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 26, 2007
  6. I agree! Somewhere in the NT4 documentation, if I'm correct, this method was
    listed as a (bad) option - I have never seen it mentioned again. Not
    officially.

    Tony. . .

    > Even in a non-default folder it's a BAD IDEA. There are other folders
    > involved, and the view of the file system is different between 64-bit and
    > 32-bit. The system needs a wipe and rebuild.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
    >
    > "Martin G" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi all
    > >
    > > After further investigation it appears that the IT man has installed XP
    > > into
    > > a folder other than the default so as not to overwrite the x64
    > > installation.
    > > I have passed on your advise and it looks like the current workaround is
    > > remove the dual boot option till he rebuilds the PC.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Martin
    > >
    > > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in

    message

    Tony Sperling, Sep 27, 2007
  7. Martin G

    jorgen Guest

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > the view of the file system is different between 64-bit
    > and 32-bit. The system needs a wipe and rebuild.

    Do you have some documentation on what difference there should be?

    jorgen, Sep 28, 2007
  8. amongst other things, 32bit applications don't see the same
    %windir%\system32 as 64 bit. And application installation directories are
    different (32bit installs to "program files", 64bit does to - but installs
    32bit apps to program files (x86) creating issues with 32bit and 64bit code
    residing in the same putative directory.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 28, 2007