    and mid-sized businesses."

    via PCWorld:

    http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/feature/7EC7E209B31BF08CCC25743A0074AACB
    Hamish Campbell, Apr 29, 2008

  2. On Apr 30, 10:58 am, "geoff" <> wrote:
    > Hamish Campbell wrote:
    > > This is pretty funny:

    > > "Microsoft had said last week that it completed development on Windows
    > > XP, Service Pack 3 (SP3), and that it would be available via its
    > > software-update services on Tuesday. However, incompatibilities
    > > discovered in the past several days between an application called
    > > Microsoft Dynamics RMS and both Windows XP SP3 and Windows Vista
    > > Service Pack 1 will force the company to hold off on releasing the
    > > software. Dynamics RMS is a retail-chain-management software for small
    > > and mid-sized businesses."

    > > via PCWorld:

    > >http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/feature/7EC7E209B31BF08CCC25743A...

    > Not as funny as your mislading 'subject' title.
    >
    > geoff

    How is it misleading?

    I said "XPSP3 Delayed",
    they said "...hold off on releasing the software"
    where 'the software' was Windows XP, Service Pack 3 (SP3)

    I said "Incompatible with MS Software",
    they said "... incompatibilities discovered in the past several days
    between ... Microsoft Dynamics RMS and both Windows XP SP3..."

    I even checked that Microsoft Dynamics RMS is made by Microsoft (just
    to be sure):
    http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/rms/default.mspx

    Am I missing something obvious?
    Hamish Campbell, Apr 30, 2008

  3. In article
    <>, Hamish
    Campbell did write:

    > "... However, incompatibilities
    > discovered in the past several days between an application called
    > Microsoft Dynamics RMS and both Windows XP SP3 and Windows Vista
    > Service Pack 1 will force the company to hold off on releasing the
    > software."

    http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/feature/7EC7E209B31BF08CCC25743A0074AACB

    Bad enough the ongoing problems they are having with Vista, looks like their
    incompetence is now infecting XP as well.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 30, 2008
  4. On Apr 30, 12:04 pm, "geoff" <> wrote:
    > Hamish Campbell wrote:
    > > I said "XPSP3 Delayed",
    > > they said "...hold off on releasing the software"
    > > where 'the software' was Windows XP, Service Pack 3 (SP3)

    > > I said "Incompatible with MS Software",
    > > they said "... incompatibilities discovered in the past several days
    > > between ... Microsoft Dynamics RMS and both Windows XP SP3..."

    > > I even checked that Microsoft Dynamics RMS is made by Microsoft (just
    > > to be sure):
    > >http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/rms/default.mspx

    > > Am I missing something obvious?

    > Software can be singular or plural.  The purpose of people making such posts
    > here is usually to mock MS and promote Linux.
    >
    > "XPSP3 Delayed - Incompatible with MS Dynamics RMS" would have been more
    > concise and less sensational.
    >
    > geoff

    Yeah I know that this forum gets catty like that (and I note the usual
    suspects have put their respective boots in too). I'm a sysadmin who
    has to keep track of service packs and it seemed sufficiently ironic.
    Hamish Campbell, Apr 30, 2008
  5. Hamish Campbell

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "geoff" typed:
    > Hamish Campbell wrote:
    >
    >> I said "XPSP3 Delayed",
    >> they said "...hold off on releasing the software"
    >> where 'the software' was Windows XP, Service Pack 3 (SP3)
    >>
    >> I said "Incompatible with MS Software",
    >> they said "... incompatibilities discovered in the past several days
    >> between ... Microsoft Dynamics RMS and both Windows XP SP3..."
    >>
    >> I even checked that Microsoft Dynamics RMS is made by Microsoft (just
    >> to be sure):
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/rms/default.mspx
    >>
    >> Am I missing something obvious?

    > Software can be singular or plural. The purpose of people making
    > such posts here is usually to mock MS and promote Linux.
    >
    > "XPSP3 Delayed - Incompatible with MS Dynamics RMS" would have been
    > more concise and less sensational.

    ... and I wouldn't have been as likely to read it. However, Hamish's
    perfectly correct subject prompted me to read he article and realise how bad
    things really are at Redmond.

    It's almost like you have a vested interest, to be so picky about something
    that was actually worded correctly. <shrug> Seems we have enough zealots
    here without inventing them or attributing motivations that are merely
    speculation.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Apr 30, 2008
  6. In article <>, Brian Mathews did
    write:

    > On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 16:19:03 -0700 (PDT), Hamish Campbell
    > <> wrote:

    >http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/feature/7EC7E209B31BF08CCC25743A...
    >>>
    >>> Not as funny as your mislading 'subject' title.
    >>>
    >>> geoff

    >>How is it misleading?

    > You Only refer to SP3 its both Vista SP1 and XP SP3

    He wasn't referring to Vista.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 30, 2008
  7. In article <>, geoff did write:

    > The purpose of people making such
    > posts here is usually to mock MS and promote Linux.

    The old saying applies--you can't make up this kind of stuff!
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 30, 2008
  8. In article <>, geoff did write:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, geoff did
    >> write:
    >>
    >>> The purpose of people making such
    >>> posts here is usually to mock MS and promote Linux.

    >> The old saying applies--you can't make up this kind of stuff!

    > Like the other sayingt "It's a sad **** who tries to make his own candle
    > burn brighter by blowing out everybody else's ".

    Hey, it's not the fault of the pro-Open-Sourcers that the Microsoft
    apologists find themselves siding with a company that is rapidly turning
    into the world's biggest loser, is it?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 30, 2008
  9. In article <>, geoff did write:

    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >> It's almost like you have a vested interest, to be so picky about
    >> something that was actually worded correctly. <shrug> Seems we have
    >> enough zealots here without inventing them or attributing motivations
    >> that are merely speculation.

    > No more than you have a vested interest in gloating over anything vaguely
    > negative re MS.
    >
    > Whereas a potential cockup (however minor) averted should be considered a
    > 'positive'.

    Fine, by all means let's celebrate some POSITIVE things about Microsoft, for
    a change:

    MOST OF THE WORLD'S DIMDOWS USERS GET THROUGH ANOTHER DAY WITHOUT COMPLETELY
    LOSING ALL THEIR FILES!

    MOST DIMDOWS MACHINES ACTUALLY STAY UP MUCH OF THE TIME WITHOUT CRASHING!

    MICROSOFT STILL HAS A LONG WAY MORE TO FALL BEFORE LOSING MARKET DOMINANCE!
    AFTER ALL, WE HAVEN'T HIT THE LAMP-POST YET, SO THERE'S NO HURRY TO TURN
    THE STEERING WHEEL RIGHT NOW!

    There, feel better now?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 30, 2008
  10. On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 15:51:32 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote in

    > In article <>, geoff did write:
    >
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>
    >>> It's almost like you have a vested interest, to be so picky about
    >>> something that was actually worded correctly. <shrug> Seems we have
    >>> enough zealots here without inventing them or attributing motivations
    >>> that are merely speculation.

    >> No more than you have a vested interest in gloating over anything vaguely
    >> negative re MS.
    >>
    >> Whereas a potential cockup (however minor) averted should be considered a
    >> 'positive'.

    > Fine, by all means let's celebrate some POSITIVE things about Microsoft, for
    > a change:
    >
    > MOST OF THE WORLD'S DIMDOWS USERS GET THROUGH ANOTHER DAY WITHOUT COMPLETELY
    > LOSING ALL THEIR FILES!
    >
    > MOST DIMDOWS MACHINES ACTUALLY STAY UP MUCH OF THE TIME WITHOUT CRASHING!
    >
    > MICROSOFT STILL HAS A LONG WAY MORE TO FALL BEFORE LOSING MARKET DOMINANCE!
    > AFTER ALL, WE HAVEN'T HIT THE LAMP-POST YET, SO THERE'S NO HURRY TO TURN
    > THE STEERING WHEEL RIGHT NOW!
    >
    > There, feel better now?

    Why are you posting in capital letters, Mr Linux weenie? It is the UseNet
    equivalent of shouting, and is considered to be extremely rude by
    civilised people.
    But then ......
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Apr 30, 2008
  11. In article <48180fc1$>, Max Burke did write:

    > This morning, Microsoft made the final release of the long-awaited SP3
    > update to Windows XP available for direct download from the Web.

    Yet for some reason not on Dimdows Update
    <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080429-microsoft-releases-the-long-anticipated-windows-xp-sp3.html>.

    > XP SP3 will be the last XP service pack, Microsoft says ...

    Remains to be seen.

    > It is installed and running on the computer computer I'm typing this on
    > with ZIP, ZERO, NO problems at all.

    That this is worth writing home about ... 'nuff said.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 30, 2008
  12. Hamish Campbell

    Squiggle Guest

    Re: XPSP3 Delayed -- Incompatible with one MS application.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <48180fc1$>, Max Burke did write:
    >
    >> This morning, Microsoft made the final release of the long-awaited SP3
    >> update to Windows XP available for direct download from the Web.

    > Yet for some reason not on Dimdows Update

    No, you conveniently snipped the bit that says it will be in a couple of
    weeks. Strange that.

    > <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080429-microsoft-releases-the-long-anticipated-windows-xp-sp3.html>.
    >
    >> XP SP3 will be the last XP service pack, Microsoft says ...

    > Remains to be seen.

    True, the future is unknowable, but the probability that this is the
    last SP for XP is a lot nearer 1 than 0.

    >> It is installed and running on the computer computer I'm typing this on
    >> with ZIP, ZERO, NO problems at all.

    > That this is worth writing home about ... 'nuff said.

    It's not worth writing about, which is why myself (and doubtlessly
    thousands of others) didn't when I had exactly the same experience a
    fortnight or so ago. Its only when the Linux FUDsters (yes Lawrence,
    that would be you) start trying to imply that SP3 is horribly broken and
    will expl0d teh intarweb that we point out it actually does work in
    99.9% of installs.

    If you actually want to do something to help the linux cause you could
    try helping out someone having problems with it. I'd welcome any
    suggestions to why tcp downloads under ubuntu 8.04 and puppy linux
    (v3.01 iirc) are broken when the same hardware works fine under windows.

    Hardware is either of two realtek network interfaces. an 8139D and a
    8169. Connected to teh net via a cicso dsl router IOS 12.3YG2 doing NAT,
    DHCP & very little filtering.
    Everything in /proc/sys/net/ipv4 looks normal from what I can make out
    from the documentation.

    Any suggestions or are you too busy trawling the net for more mud to
    sling at anything MS?
    Squiggle, Apr 30, 2008
  13. In article <>, Brian Mathews did
    write:

    > On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:15:50 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, Brian Mathews did
    >>write:
    >>
    >>> You Only refer to SP3 its both Vista SP1 and XP SP3

    >>He wasn't referring to Vista.

    > So why pick on XP SP3..?

    Because that's what the OP was specifically talking about. Notice the
    subject line of this thread?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 30, 2008
  14. Re: XPSP3 Delayed -- Incompatible with one MS application.

    In article <48181e33$>, Squiggle did write:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In article <48180fc1$>, Max Burke did write:
    >>
    >>> This morning, Microsoft made the final release of the long-awaited SP3
    >>> update to Windows XP available for direct download from the Web.

    >> Yet for some reason not on Dimdows Update

    > No, you conveniently snipped the bit that says it will be in a couple of
    > weeks.

    Where does Microsoft say that? I can't find any mention of a specific date.
    Also none for 64-bit XP.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 30, 2008
  15. Hamish Campbell

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "geoff" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> .. and I wouldn't have been as likely to read it. However, Hamish's
    >> perfectly correct subject prompted me to read he article and realise
    >> how bad things really are at Redmond.
    >>
    >> It's almost like you have a vested interest, to be so picky about
    >> something that was actually worded correctly. <shrug> Seems we have
    >> enough zealots here without inventing them or attributing motivations
    >> that are merely speculation.

    > No more than you have a vested interest in gloating over anything
    > vaguely negative re MS.

    Who? Me? Maybe you should re-read the group then and see exactly how many
    opportunities I've missed to do so. Either that or get it right.

    > Whereas a potential cockup (however minor) averted should be
    > considered a 'positive'.

    Yeah, whatever. I'm not really that bothered about OS wars. I use Windows
    exclusively and there are a lot of things I don't like about MS's
    monopolistic practices and plans for world domination but that's really
    beside the point. My main issue was YOUR knee-jerk reaction claiming
    improper use of the English language. Now English is one thing I *am*
    passionate about.

    Regards old chap,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Apr 30, 2008
  16. Hamish Campbell

    Mycos Guest

    Re: Re: XPSP3 Delayed -- Incompatible with MS Software

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:04:43 +1200,
    >Hamish Campbell wrote:
    >
    >> I said "XPSP3 Delayed",
    >> they said "...hold off on releasing the software"
    >> where 'the software' was Windows XP, Service Pack 3 (SP3)
    >>
    >> I said "Incompatible with MS Software",
    >> they said "... incompatibilities discovered in the past several days
    >> between ... Microsoft Dynamics RMS and both Windows XP SP3..."
    >>
    >> I even checked that Microsoft Dynamics RMS is made by Microsoft (just
    >> to be sure):
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/rms/default.mspx
    >>
    >> Am I missing something obvious?

    >Software can be singular or plural. The purpose of people making such posts
    >here is usually to mock MS and promote Linux.
    >
    >"XPSP3 Delayed - Incompatible with MS Dynamics RMS" would have been more
    >concise and less sensational.
    >
    >geoff

    Uhmmm...So how is it that I have XP Service Pack 3 already installed on
    my PC. It's been on there for months as well, and I DLed it off the
    Windows Update page. What exactly are these glitches that I should be
    worried about, and should I roll it back, uninstall, what?
    Mycos
    The army that will defeat terrorism doesn't wear uniforms, or drive
    Humvees, or calls in air-strikes. It doesn't have a high command, or
    high security, or a high budget. The army that can defeat terrorism
    does battle quietly, clearing minefields and vaccinating children. It
    undermines military dictatorships and military lobbyists. It subverts
    sweatshops and special interests.Where people feel powerless, it
    helps them organize for change, and where people are powerful, it
    reminds them of their responsibility.
    Mycos, May 1, 2008
  17. Hamish Campbell

    Mycos Guest

    Re: Re: XPSP3 Delayed -- Incompatible with MS Software

    On Thu, 1 May 2008 10:07:38 +1200,
    >Somewhere on teh intarweb "geoff" typed:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> .. and I wouldn't have been as likely to read it. However, Hamish's
    >>> perfectly correct subject prompted me to read he article and realise
    >>> how bad things really are at Redmond.
    >>>
    >>> It's almost like you have a vested interest, to be so picky about
    >>> something that was actually worded correctly. <shrug> Seems we have
    >>> enough zealots here without inventing them or attributing motivations
    >>> that are merely speculation.

    >> No more than you have a vested interest in gloating over anything
    >> vaguely negative re MS.

    >Who? Me? Maybe you should re-read the group then and see exactly how many
    >opportunities I've missed to do so. Either that or get it right.
    >
    >> Whereas a potential cockup (however minor) averted should be
    >> considered a 'positive'.

    >Yeah, whatever. I'm not really that bothered about OS wars. I use Windows
    >exclusively and there are a lot of things I don't like about MS's
    >monopolistic practices and plans for world domination but that's really
    >beside the point. My main issue was YOUR knee-jerk reaction claiming
    >improper use of the English language. Now English is one thing I *am*
    >passionate about.
    >
    >Regards old chap,

    Yeah, I could of had some sympathy with the bashing prior to XP, but I
    have to admit that it is by far the most stable platform I've ever had
    on my machine. The range of compatible software is unparalleled...for
    obvious reasons, but considering what I put this thing through, I'm
    frankly amazed at the beating it takes. I'm one of those people who's
    constantly looking at new apps, DLing, installing, checking out the
    possibilities, then dumping it the day after expiry in the trial, or
    registering the rare one I decide to keep.

    So I was already waiting for SP4! Now I hear this. What gives?

    Oh! How you doing misfit. Nice to see you again. send me a an email if
    your in the mood.
    Mycos, May 1, 2008
  18. Re: XPSP3 + VISTA SP1 Delayed -- Incompatible with MS Software

    In article <>, Brian Mathews did
    write:

    > ... and its BOTH Service Patches..

    And this is relevant to XP how, exactly?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 2, 2008