XPS Documents won't print.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Geopelia, Dec 21, 2007.

  1. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Since this computer came back from that shop I get XPS Documents [*.xps]

    save as type XPS Document [*.xps]

    file *.xps

    I haven't a clue what this is all about, but the document won't save or
    print out.

    I want to use gif and tif as this computer used to do, and print stuff out
    from the internet. I can highlight text from internet sites and use Ctrl C
    and V to copy it into an email or newsgroup. I can then email it to myself
    and print it out from there.
    (emails will still print out). But it doesn't work for sites full of
    pictures.

    There isn't a menu that shows gif and tif and a few other formats to click,
    as there used to be.

    What is happening please? What should I do?

    Thank you

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Dec 21, 2007

  2. Geopelia

    impossible Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    > Since this computer came back from that shop I get XPS Documents [*.xps]
    >
    > save as type XPS Document [*.xps]
    >
    > file *.xps
    >
    > I haven't a clue what this is all about, but the document won't save or
    > print out.
    >
    > I want to use gif and tif as this computer used to do, and print stuff out
    > from the internet. I can highlight text from internet sites and use Ctrl C
    > and V to copy it into an email or newsgroup. I can then email it to myself
    > and print it out from there.
    > (emails will still print out). But it doesn't work for sites full of
    > pictures.
    >
    > There isn't a menu that shows gif and tif and a few other formats to
    > click, as there used to be.
    >
    > What is happening please? What should I do?

    XPS is page description language (XML Paper Specification) for printers
    designed to make use of the Vista graphical subsystem. Vista also
    incorprates an XPS viewer into Internet Explorer. But as for why your
    machine has been set up in a way that makes this otherwise obscure document
    format the center of your computing life right now is something you'll need
    to take up with that shop you got it from. It certainly wouldn't be the
    default.
    impossible, Dec 21, 2007

  3. In article <fkf671$6ro$>, Geopelia did write:

    > Since this computer came back from that shop I get XPS Documents [*.xps]

    Have they inflicted Vista on your machine?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 21, 2007
  4. Geopelia

    Max Burke Guest

    "impossible" <> wrote in message
    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >> Since this computer came back from that shop I get XPS Documents [*.xps]
    >>
    >> save as type XPS Document [*.xps]
    >>
    >> file *.xps
    >>
    >> I haven't a clue what this is all about, but the document won't save or
    >> print out.
    >>
    >> I want to use gif and tif as this computer used to do, and print stuff
    >> out from the internet. I can highlight text from internet sites and use
    >> Ctrl C and V to copy it into an email or newsgroup. I can then email it
    >> to myself and print it out from there.
    >> (emails will still print out). But it doesn't work for sites full of
    >> pictures.
    >>
    >> There isn't a menu that shows gif and tif and a few other formats to
    >> click, as there used to be.
    >>
    >> What is happening please? What should I do?
    >>

    > XPS is page description language (XML Paper Specification) for printers
    > designed to make use of the Vista graphical subsystem. Vista also
    > incorprates an XPS viewer into Internet Explorer. But as for why your
    > machine has been set up in a way that makes this otherwise obscure
    > document format the center of your computing life right now is something
    > you'll need to take up with that shop you got it from. It certainly
    > wouldn't be the default.

    On any Windows up to date XP SP2 computer

    Start
    Printers and Faxes
    Microsoft XPS Document Writer

    ....is (should be) installed if .net framework 3 is installed.

    In Windows XP and Windows 2003, to add in the capability to open to view and
    create XPS documents, you can either download Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0
    or Microsoft XPS Essentials Pack. XPS document viewing and generation
    capabilities are included in Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0. With .NET
    Framework 3.0, the XPS files will open within Internet Explorer 6.0 or
    higher.
    www.mydigitallife.info/2007/01/27/h...xps-documents-in-windows-xp-and-windows-2003/

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Dec 21, 2007
  5. Geopelia

    Max Burke Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    > Since this computer came back from that shop I get XPS Documents [*.xps]
    > save as type XPS Document [*.xps]
    > file *.xps
    > I haven't a clue what this is all about, but the document won't save or
    > print out.
    > I want to use gif and tif as this computer used to do, and print stuff out
    > from the internet. I can highlight text from internet sites and use Ctrl C
    > and V to copy it into an email or newsgroup. I can then email it to myself
    > and print it out from there.
    > (emails will still print out). But it doesn't work for sites full of
    > pictures.
    > There isn't a menu that shows gif and tif and a few other formats to
    > click, as there used to be.
    > What is happening please? What should I do?
    > Thank you

    Go to:

    Start
    Printers and Faxes

    ....and make sure your printer is ticked as the default printer, then try
    printing and/or saving the the documents.

    If your printer doesn't have a tick beside it, right click on the printer
    and select "Set As The Default Printer" from the pop up menu of options.

    It would seem that the 'shop' either installed .net Framework three or the
    XPS essentials pack on your computer.
    Why they did is for them to explain.

    Max Burke, Dec 21, 2007
  6. Geopelia

    impossible Guest

    "Max Burke" <> wrote in message

    > "impossible" <> wrote in message
    >> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>> Since this computer came back from that shop I get XPS Documents [*.xps]
    >>>
    >>> save as type XPS Document [*.xps]
    >>>
    >>> file *.xps
    >>>
    >>> I haven't a clue what this is all about, but the document won't save or
    >>> print out.
    >>>
    >>> I want to use gif and tif as this computer used to do, and print stuff
    >>> out from the internet. I can highlight text from internet sites and use
    >>> Ctrl C and V to copy it into an email or newsgroup. I can then email it
    >>> to myself and print it out from there.
    >>> (emails will still print out). But it doesn't work for sites full of
    >>> pictures.
    >>>
    >>> There isn't a menu that shows gif and tif and a few other formats to
    >>> click, as there used to be.
    >>>
    >>> What is happening please? What should I do?
    >>>

    >> XPS is page description language (XML Paper Specification) for printers
    >> designed to make use of the Vista graphical subsystem. Vista also
    >> incorprates an XPS viewer into Internet Explorer. But as for why your
    >> machine has been set up in a way that makes this otherwise obscure
    >> document format the center of your computing life right now is something
    >> you'll need to take up with that shop you got it from. It certainly
    >> wouldn't be the default.
    >>

    > On any Windows up to date XP SP2 computer
    >
    > Start
    > Printers and Faxes
    > Microsoft XPS Document Writer
    >
    > ...is (should be) installed if .net framework 3 is installed.

    There's no reason for .Net Framework 3 to be installed on any XP machine
    unless a specific application requires it (and very few do). It is **not**
    installed by default.

    > In Windows XP and Windows 2003, to add in the capability to open to view
    > and create XPS documents, you can either download Microsoft .NET Framework
    > 3.0 or Microsoft XPS Essentials Pack. XPS document viewing and generation
    > capabilities are included in Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0. With .NET
    > Framework 3.0, the XPS files will open within Internet Explorer 6.0 or
    > higher.
    > www.mydigitallife.info/2007/01/27/h...xps-documents-in-windows-xp-and-windows-2003/

    How many users have a need to open, view, and create xps files? Barely 1 in
    1000 users would even know what an xps file is -- and the OP is ceretainly
    not one of them. So the shop that set his pc up should have have known
    better.
    impossible, Dec 21, 2007
  7. Geopelia

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > In article <fkf671$6ro$>, Geopelia did write:
    >
    >> Since this computer came back from that shop I get XPS Documents [*.xps]

    > Have they inflicted Vista on your machine?

    What a fucking useless helpful suggestion that is.

    Anyone with any real clues would know about the selected printing options in
    the advanced menu of IE.
    Simply tick to print all backgrounds and images.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Dec 21, 2007
  8. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "impossible" <> wrote in message
    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >> Since this computer came back from that shop I get XPS Documents [*.xps]
    >>
    >> save as type XPS Document [*.xps]
    >>
    >> file *.xps
    >>
    >> I haven't a clue what this is all about, but the document won't save or
    >> print out.
    >>
    >> I want to use gif and tif as this computer used to do, and print stuff
    >> out from the internet. I can highlight text from internet sites and use
    >> Ctrl C and V to copy it into an email or newsgroup. I can then email it
    >> to myself and print it out from there.
    >> (emails will still print out). But it doesn't work for sites full of
    >> pictures.
    >>
    >> There isn't a menu that shows gif and tif and a few other formats to
    >> click, as there used to be.
    >>
    >> What is happening please? What should I do?
    >>

    > XPS is page description language (XML Paper Specification) for printers
    > designed to make use of the Vista graphical subsystem. Vista also
    > incorprates an XPS viewer into Internet Explorer. But as for why your
    > machine has been set up in a way that makes this otherwise obscure
    > document format the center of your computing life right now is something
    > you'll need to take up with that shop you got it from. It certainly
    > wouldn't be the default.

    With all the problems that shop has caused there is no way they will ever
    get their hands on this computer again.
    (I don't think I should name them here, but if anyone wants to know I'll
    Geopelia, Dec 21, 2007
  9. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Max Burke" <> wrote in message

    > "impossible" <> wrote in message
    >> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>> Since this computer came back from that shop I get XPS Documents [*.xps]
    >>>
    >>> save as type XPS Document [*.xps]
    >>>
    >>> file *.xps
    >>>
    >>> I haven't a clue what this is all about, but the document won't save or
    >>> print out.
    >>>
    >>> I want to use gif and tif as this computer used to do, and print stuff
    >>> out from the internet. I can highlight text from internet sites and use
    >>> Ctrl C and V to copy it into an email or newsgroup. I can then email it
    >>> to myself and print it out from there.
    >>> (emails will still print out). But it doesn't work for sites full of
    >>> pictures.
    >>>
    >>> There isn't a menu that shows gif and tif and a few other formats to
    >>> click, as there used to be.
    >>>
    >>> What is happening please? What should I do?
    >>>

    >> XPS is page description language (XML Paper Specification) for printers
    >> designed to make use of the Vista graphical subsystem. Vista also
    >> incorprates an XPS viewer into Internet Explorer. But as for why your
    >> machine has been set up in a way that makes this otherwise obscure
    >> document format the center of your computing life right now is something
    >> you'll need to take up with that shop you got it from. It certainly
    >> wouldn't be the default.
    >>

    > On any Windows up to date XP SP2 computer
    >
    > Start
    > Printers and Faxes
    > Microsoft XPS Document Writer
    >
    > ...is (should be) installed if .net framework 3 is installed.

    Printers and faxes (from Control Panel) shows

    hp psc 1310 series
    0
    Offline

    Microsoft XPS Document This has a tick beside it
    0
    Ready

    I don't understand the paragraph below but have saved it. I don't really
    want to use XPS.

    > In Windows XP and Windows 2003, to add in the capability to open to view
    > and create XPS documents, you can either download Microsoft .NET Framework
    > 3.0 or Microsoft XPS Essentials Pack. XPS document viewing and generation
    > capabilities are included in Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0. With .NET
    > Framework 3.0, the XPS files will open within Internet Explorer 6.0 or
    > higher.
    > www.mydigitallife.info/2007/01/27/h...xps-documents-in-windows-xp-and-windows-2003/
    >
    > --
    >
    > Replace the obvious with paradise.net to email me
    > Found Images
    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~mlvburke

    Thank you
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Dec 21, 2007
  10. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > "Max Burke" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> "impossible" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    >>> XPS is page description language (XML Paper Specification) for printers
    >>> designed to make use of the Vista graphical subsystem. Vista also
    >>> incorprates an XPS viewer into Internet Explorer. But as for why your
    >>> machine has been set up in a way that makes this otherwise obscure
    >>> document format the center of your computing life right now is something
    >>> you'll need to take up with that shop you got it from. It certainly
    >>> wouldn't be the default.
    >>>

    >> On any Windows up to date XP SP2 computer
    >>
    >> Start
    >> Printers and Faxes
    >> Microsoft XPS Document Writer
    >>
    >> ...is (should be) installed if .net framework 3 is installed.
    >>

    > There's no reason for .Net Framework 3 to be installed on any XP machine
    > unless a specific application requires it (and very few do). It is **not**
    > installed by default.
    >
    >> In Windows XP and Windows 2003, to add in the capability to open to view
    >> and create XPS documents, you can either download Microsoft .NET
    >> Framework 3.0 or Microsoft XPS Essentials Pack. XPS document viewing and
    >> generation capabilities are included in Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0.
    >> With .NET Framework 3.0, the XPS files will open within Internet Explorer
    >> 6.0 or higher.
    >> www.mydigitallife.info/2007/01/27/h...xps-documents-in-windows-xp-and-windows-2003/
    >>

    > How many users have a need to open, view, and create xps files? Barely 1
    > in 1000 users would even know what an xps file is -- and the OP is
    > ceretainly not one of them. So the shop that set his pc up should have
    > have known better.

    They should have known better about a lot of stuff that they did to this
    computer!
    I've saved your message for the person who will be sorting out all the
    things I don't feel capable of putting right.

    Thank you
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Dec 21, 2007
  11. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > In article <fkf671$6ro$>, Geopelia did write:
    >
    >> Since this computer came back from that shop I get XPS Documents [*.xps]

    > Have they inflicted Vista on your machine?

    I hope not! I've got XP Home edition Version 2002 Service pack 2

    They have managed to mis-spell my name though and now I'm two people,
    according to the computer.
    Geopelia, Dec 21, 2007
  12. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    >> In article <fkf671$6ro$>, Geopelia did write:
    >>
    >>> Since this computer came back from that shop I get XPS Documents [*.xps]

    >> Have they inflicted Vista on your machine?

    > What a fucking useless helpful suggestion that is.
    >
    > Anyone with any real clues would know about the selected printing options
    > in the advanced menu of IE.
    > Simply tick to print all backgrounds and images.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Where do I find this advanced menu please?

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Dec 21, 2007
  13. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Max Burke" <> wrote in message

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >> Since this computer came back from that shop I get XPS Documents [*.xps]
    >> save as type XPS Document [*.xps]
    >> file *.xps
    >> I haven't a clue what this is all about, but the document won't save or
    >> print out.
    >> I want to use gif and tif as this computer used to do, and print stuff
    >> out from the internet. I can highlight text from internet sites and use
    >> Ctrl C and V to copy it into an email or newsgroup. I can then email it
    >> to myself and print it out from there.
    >> (emails will still print out). But it doesn't work for sites full of
    >> pictures.
    >> There isn't a menu that shows gif and tif and a few other formats to
    >> click, as there used to be.
    >> What is happening please? What should I do?
    >> Thank you

    > Go to:
    >
    > Start
    > Printers and Faxes
    >
    > ...and make sure your printer is ticked as the default printer, then try
    > printing and/or saving the the documents.
    >
    > If your printer doesn't have a tick beside it, right click on the printer
    > and select "Set As The Default Printer" from the pop up menu of options.

    Thank you, I've done that. Now I'll see what happens when I try to print
    something.

    > It would seem that the 'shop' either installed .net Framework three or the
    > XPS essentials pack on your computer.
    > Why they did is for them to explain.

    I'm not going near that shop again.

    Geopelia, Dec 21, 2007
  14. Geopelia

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message

    >>> In article <fkf671$6ro$>, Geopelia did write:

    >>> Have they inflicted Vista on your machine?

    >> What a fucking useless helpful suggestion that is.
    >>
    >> Anyone with any real clues would know about the selected printing options
    >> in the advanced menu of IE.
    >> Simply tick to print all backgrounds and images.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge
    >>

    > Where do I find this advanced menu please?
    >
    > Geopelia

    On IE go to: Tools - Internet Options - Advanced - Printing (which is well
    down the list).

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Dec 21, 2007
  15. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    >>> message news:fkffgp$9o0$...

    >>> What a fucking useless helpful suggestion that is.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone with any real clues would know about the selected printing
    >>> options in the advanced menu of IE.
    >>> Simply tick to print all backgrounds and images.
    >>>
    >>> E. Scrooge
    >>>

    >> Where do I find this advanced menu please?
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    > On IE go to: Tools - Internet Options - Advanced - Printing (which is
    > well down the list).
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Thank you, I've clicked that. I'll see if it works next time I get an XPS
    document.

    What happens is, I click the print icon or get it from File, then the box
    comes up about saving it showing it is an xps file. It doesn't save to My
    Documents as far as I can tell. I didn't want to save it anyway, just to
    print it.

    Thank you
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Dec 21, 2007
  16. Geopelia wrote:
    <snip>
    > Printers and faxes (from Control Panel) shows
    >
    > hp psc 1310 series
    > 0
    > Offline
    >
    > Microsoft XPS Document This has a tick beside it
    > 0
    > Ready

    <snip>

    > Thank you
    > Geopelia

    In your Printers and Faxes Right click on HP psc then click 'Set as Default'

    This should stop it trying to "print" to the "XPS printer"
    dilberts_left_nut, Dec 21, 2007
  17. In article <fkg90p$7l7$>, Geopelia did write:

    >> In article <fkf671$6ro$>, Geopelia did write:
    >>
    >>> Since this computer came back from that shop I get XPS Documents [*.xps]

    >> Have they inflicted Vista on your machine?

    > I hope not! I've got XP Home edition Version 2002 Service pack 2

    Still, this XPS stuff is a creeping bit of Vista. Be careful! A little
    add-on here, another update there, and before you know it, your machine has
    become completely Vista-ized!

    > They have managed to mis-spell my name though and now I'm two people,
    > according to the computer.

    They were expecting you to be beside yourself with rage. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 21, 2007
  18. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "dilberts_left_nut" <not@home> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    > <snip>
    >> Printers and faxes (from Control Panel) shows
    >>
    >> hp psc 1310 series
    >> 0
    >> Offline
    >>
    >> Microsoft XPS Document This has a tick beside it
    >> 0
    >> Ready
    >>

    > <snip>
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >> Geopelia

    > In your Printers and Faxes Right click on HP psc then click 'Set as
    > Default'
    >
    > This should stop it trying to "print" to the "XPS printer"

    Thank you, I've done that
    Geopelia, Dec 21, 2007
  19. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > In article <fkg90p$7l7$>, Geopelia did write:

    >>> In article <fkf671$6ro$>, Geopelia did write:

    >>> Have they inflicted Vista on your machine?

    >> I hope not! I've got XP Home edition Version 2002 Service pack 2

    > Still, this XPS stuff is a creeping bit of Vista. Be careful! A little
    > add-on here, another update there, and before you know it, your machine
    > has
    > become completely Vista-ized!
    >
    >> They have managed to mis-spell my name though and now I'm two people,
    >> according to the computer.

    > They were expecting you to be beside yourself with rage. :)

    Could be useful though, I could commit some cyber crime as one person and
    disclaim responsibility as the other.
    Geopelia, Dec 21, 2007
  20. Geopelia

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message

    >>> Where do I find this advanced menu please?
    >>>
    >>> Geopelia

    >> On IE go to: Tools - Internet Options - Advanced - Printing (which is
    >> well down the list).
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge
    >>

    > Thank you, I've clicked that. I'll see if it works next time I get an XPS
    > document.
    >
    > What happens is, I click the print icon or get it from File, then the box
    > comes up about saving it showing it is an xps file. It doesn't save to My
    > Documents as far as I can tell. I didn't want to save it anyway, just to
    > print it.
    >
    > Thank you
    > Geopelia

    Perhaps your printer isn't setup up being the default printer.
    When clicking print it should just print straight off to the printer that
    has been setup on XP.

    All the Advanced print option does is choose to print graphics from websites
    or not while printing the text.

    I'll check out google later about it saving to file instead of printing.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Dec 21, 2007