XPM (Windows 7 - Windows Virtual PC) vs VmWare & other PlatformVirtual Machines

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by karthikbalaguru, Jan 9, 2010.

  1. Hi,
    I am exploring Windows Virtual PC
    along with XPM(Windows XP mode)
    in Windows 7.
    The XPM is a virtual machine package
    for Windows Virtual PC. It allows
    Windows XP apps to run in a virtual
    environment alongside the Windows 7
    apps in same desktop. The concept
    of using the same desktop sounds
    very interesting & good !!

    XP Mode enables the ability to run many
    older Windows XP business and
    other applications . But what about the
    earlier versions support ? I wonder the
    need for XPM in Windows 7 that too
    specifically w.r.t XP ?

    XP Mode applications run in a
    Terminal Services session in the
    virtualized Windows XP, and are
    accessed via Remote Desktop Protocol
    by a client running on the Windows 7 host.
    Is XPM just to demonstrate the usage
    of same desktop for virtualization ?

    Will XPM good for high end games in XP ?

    How is it be rated against Vmware and
    other virtualization technologies ?

    How is it rated against VirtualBox ?

    Will it support linux in the future upgrades ?
    Any ideas ?

    Thx in advans,
    Karthik Balaguru
    karthikbalaguru, Jan 9, 2010

  2. Re: XPM (Windows 7 - Windows Virtual PC) vs VmWare & other Platform Virtual Machines

    XPMode will actually run in a VMWare session, I'm told. It will not run in
    earlier versions of Virtual PC, and I have no information on Virtual Box.As
    for rating Windows VPC against those? It entirely depends on what you're
    trying to accomplish. WinVPC does a good job within its design
    limitations -- better IMHO than any of the alternatives. But it isn't a
    general purpose virtualization solution for all scenarios.

    Both Windows VPC and XPMode were created to solve a very specific problem -
    program compatibility of older business applications with Windows 7. The
    virtualized hardware inside the VM is not really ideal for high end games,
    and I doubt it's the solution there.

    I would be astonished if direct support for Linux distros was included in
    Windows VPC, since there is no design requirement to do so.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 9, 2010

  3. On Jan 9, 7:56 pm, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:
    > "karthikbalaguru" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi,
    > > I am exploring Windows Virtual PC
    > > along with XPM(Windows XP mode)
    > > in Windows 7.
    > > The XPM is a virtual machine package
    > > for Windows Virtual PC. It allows
    > > Windows XP apps to run in a virtual
    > > environment alongside the Windows 7
    > > apps in same desktop. The concept
    > > of using the same desktop sounds
    > > very interesting & good !!

    > > XP Mode enables the ability to run many
    > > older Windows XP business and
    > > other applications . But what about the
    > > earlier versions support ? I wonder the
    > > need for XPM in Windows 7 that too
    > > specifically w.r.t XP ?

    > > XP Mode applications run in a
    > > Terminal Services session in the
    > > virtualized Windows XP, and are
    > > accessed via Remote Desktop Protocol
    > > by a client running on the Windows 7 host.
    > > Is XPM just to demonstrate the usage
    > > of same desktop for virtualization ?

    > > Will XPM good for high end games in XP ?

    > > How is it be rated against Vmware and
    > > other virtualization technologies ?

    > > How is it rated against VirtualBox ?

    > > Will it support linux in the future upgrades ?
    > > Any ideas ?

    > > Thx in advans,
    > > Karthik Balaguru- Hide quoted text -

    > XPMode will actually run in a VMWare session, I'm told.

    Interesting !

    > It will not run in
    > earlier versions of Virtual PC, and I have no information on Virtual Box.

    Okay .

    > As
    > for rating Windows VPC against those? It entirely depends on what you're
    > trying to accomplish. WinVPC does a good job within its design
    > limitations -- better IMHO than any of the alternatives. But it isn't a
    > general purpose virtualization solution for all scenarios.

    I might require general purpose virtualization
    after sometime.

    > Both Windows VPC and XPMode were created to solve a very specific problem -
    > program compatibility of older business applications with Windows 7.

    Okay !
    But, How is the compatibility of applications(old)
    that came ahead of XP handled ?

    > The
    > virtualized hardware inside the VM is not really ideal for high end games,
    > and I doubt it's the solution there.

    Okay !

    > I would be astonished if direct support for Linux distros was included in
    > Windows VPC, since there is no design requirement to do so.

    So, it does not support linux as of now !

    Thx in advans,
    Karthik Balaguru
    karthikbalaguru, Jan 10, 2010
  4. Re: XPM (Windows 7 - Windows Virtual PC) vs VmWare & other Platform Virtual Machines

    karthikbalaguru wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am exploring Windows Virtual PC
    > along with XPM(Windows XP mode)
    > in Windows 7.
    > The XPM is a virtual machine package
    > for Windows Virtual PC. It allows
    > Windows XP apps to run in a virtual
    > environment alongside the Windows 7
    > apps in same desktop. The concept
    > of using the same desktop sounds
    > very interesting & good !!
    >
    > XP Mode enables the ability to run many
    > older Windows XP business and
    > other applications . But what about the
    > earlier versions support ? I wonder the
    > need for XPM in Windows 7 that too
    > specifically w.r.t XP ?
    >
    > XP Mode applications run in a
    > Terminal Services session in the
    > virtualized Windows XP, and are
    > accessed via Remote Desktop Protocol
    > by a client running on the Windows 7 host.
    > Is XPM just to demonstrate the usage
    > of same desktop for virtualization ?
    >
    > Will XPM good for high end games in XP ?
    >
    > How is it be rated against Vmware and
    > other virtualization technologies ?
    >
    > How is it rated against VirtualBox ?
    >
    > Will it support linux in the future upgrades ?
    > Any ideas ?

    I have found that because of certain limitations I have not been able to
    work around (at least on 64-bit Windows 7 running XPMode) - VMware works
    better. For example - if you have an ironkey stick drive - you can use it
    with VMware running Windows XP - but not on the same machine inside an
    XPMode session.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP