    It was suggested to slipstream my xpdisk and sp2 which I have done but
    the new disk installation refuses to accept my original disks s/n .

    any help would be appreciated Thanks ...Chris

    chris, Mar 6, 2006

  2. chris

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:r_2Pf.71659$,
    chris spewed forth:
    > hi all
    > I have a sony laptop with xphome preinstalled and need to upgrade
    > to xppro for work reasons.I have a genuine xppro disk and fancy
    > sticky label !! but it is a SP1 version whilst laptop is SP2 ,when I
    > try to upgrade laptop it tells me it is wrong version of windows
    > .e.g. sp1. It was suggested to slipstream my xpdisk and sp2 which
    > I have done but the new disk installation refuses to accept my original
    > disks s/n .
    >
    > any help would be appreciated Thanks ...Chris

    You probably need an XP Pro upgrade CD with an upgrade activation key.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 7, 2006

  3. chris

    Dingus Guest

    "chris" <> wrote in message
    > hi all
    > I have a sony laptop with xphome preinstalled and need to upgrade to
    > xppro for work reasons.I have a genuine xppro disk and fancy sticky label
    > !! but it is a SP1 version whilst laptop is SP2 ,when I try to upgrade
    > laptop it tells me it is wrong version of windows .e.g. sp1.
    > It was suggested to slipstream my xpdisk and sp2 which I have done but
    > the new disk installation refuses to accept my original disks s/n .
    >
    > any help would be appreciated Thanks ...Chris

    You may not be able to upgrade from home to pro.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/matrix.mspx

    Dingus, Mar 7, 2006
  4. chris

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:EM5Pf.30115$,
    Dingus spewed forth:
    > "chris" <> wrote in message
    >> hi all
    >> I have a sony laptop with xphome preinstalled and need to upgrade
    >> to xppro for work reasons.I have a genuine xppro disk and fancy
    >> sticky label !! but it is a SP1 version whilst laptop is SP2 ,when I
    >> try to upgrade laptop it tells me it is wrong version of windows
    >> .e.g. sp1. It was suggested to slipstream my xpdisk and sp2 which
    >> I have done but the new disk installation refuses to accept my
    >> original disks s/n . any help would be appreciated Thanks ...Chris
    >>

    > You may not be able to upgrade from home to pro.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/matrix.mspx

    Actually, that chart says that YES you can upgrade from Home to Pro. It does
    indicate that exceptions may exist with volume licensed versions. But I've
    never seen a volume license version of Home.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 7, 2006
  5. chris wrote:

    > hi all
    > I have a sony laptop with xphome preinstalled and need to upgrade to
    > xppro for work reasons.I have a genuine xppro disk and fancy sticky label
    > !! but it is a SP1 version whilst laptop is SP2 ,when I try to upgrade
    > laptop it tells me it is wrong version of windows .e.g. sp1.
    > It was suggested to slipstream my xpdisk and sp2 which I have done but
    > the new disk installation refuses to accept my original disks s/n .

    Yes ... XPPro uses different serial numbers and you also will need to
    reactivate it.
    Now what's the meaning of "genuine", and isn't there a serial number?

    Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Mar 7, 2006
  6. chris

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 22:47:51 +0000, chris wrote:

    > hi all
    > I have a sony laptop with xphome preinstalled and need to upgrade to
    > xppro for work reasons.I have a genuine xppro disk and fancy sticky label !!
    > but it is a SP1 version whilst laptop is SP2 ,when I try to upgrade laptop
    > it tells me it is wrong version of windows .e.g. sp1.
    > It was suggested to slipstream my xpdisk and sp2 which I have done but
    > the new disk installation refuses to accept my original disks s/n .
    >
    > any help would be appreciated Thanks ...Chris

    Have your boss buy a new XPPro CD with SP2 and call Microsoft if you have
    upgrade problems.

    Meat Plow, Mar 7, 2006