XPHome SP2; Netgear WPGS606; two printers, two notebooks

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Robert J. Lafayette, Sep 8, 2007.

  1. Windows XP Home, SP2, installed on two different notebook computers in two
    different rooms.

    Both computers have Wireless capability.

    Gateway notebook has internal wifi.
    HP Pavilion notebook uses USB Linksys wireless b adapter (802.11b).

    We use Verizon as Internet Provider and their wireless router: Webtel 327W.

    Both computers work fine having acceptable Internet access from the wireless
    router..

    Have Canon MP130 (MFP) all in one printer and a newly purchased HP LaserJet
    1020, which is a host based printer.

    Both printer seem compatible with the wgps 606, from my research.

    Want to print wirelessly (I understand the other multi functions of the
    Canon will not work, unless it is hard wired to a computer) from either
    computer to either or both printers, which are to be connected to print
    server.

    So.............

    I purchased a Netgear WGPS 606.

    Can not get a solid connection from the print server to either of the
    computers via Ethernet cable or wireless.

    Netgear tech support are baffled even sent me a new print server. That
    doesn't work either.

    No connection, either hard wired via Ethernet cable or wireless can be made
    from print server to HP or Gateway notebooks.

    The HP Pavilion is the main notebook which I have been trying to access the
    print server from/ to..

    Not been able to get that far yet, to determine if either printer will print
    when and if the WGPS gets connected to the router.

    Or,
    here is why I made this posting,

    is there a preferred configuration I can set up to make printing happen as
    if from a 'network'?

    If that is please explain how I must do it, as if from a network, then I
    will have to have both printers connected to the HP Pavilion and turn the HP
    Pavilion on when we wish to print from the Gateway,

    this is what I am trying to avoid if at all possible,

    and that is why I purchased the WGPS 606, but the WGPS 606 seems not to work
    at all.

    Again, both computers use XP Home, SP2,

    and if system is networked via Windows then am I correct that printing can
    only be done anyway when one printer is turned on and connected to the
    computer?

    Please advise.

    If I must network the computers to the printers wirelessly via the Webtel
    wireless router and the HP Pavilion, and NOT use the Netgear WGPS 606,

    please give most detailed instructions possible.

    Thank you in advance,
    Robert

    Robert J. Lafayette, Sep 8, 2007

  2. BY THE WAY, I use Comodo firewall and Avast Antivirus.

    Robert

    Robert J. Lafayette, Sep 8, 2007

  3. Got printing network set up by adjusting firewall settings.

    thank you.

    Robert J. Lafayette, Sep 9, 2007