    Firefox 2. XP SP2 No other computer issues.

    Thanks.

    Bert.

    Bert, Nov 10, 2006

  2. On 11/10/2006 04:53 PM, Bert wrote:
    > Very recently almost every time I shut down the computer the XPcom
    > dialogue box appears and announces a program is not responding and
    > attempts to close it (or whatever it is doing).
    >
    > When I look at Task Manager, Firefox.exe is still there even tho there
    > is no visible sign of FF running. The times when the computer closes
    > normally Firefox is not on Task manager.
    >
    > Any advice please, not too technical I'm no computer wizz!
    >
    > Firefox 2. XP SP2 No other computer issues.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Bert.

    If you installed FF 2.0 over FF 1.5 then you may have encountered the
    bug where the FF 2.0 installer doesn't wait long enough for FF 1.5 to
    close down before it starts replacing the files.

    A possible fix is to uninstall FF 2.0, move the FF application folder to
    the recycle bin and reinstall FF 2.0.

    Mumia W. (reading news), Nov 11, 2006

  3. Bert

    TheCroW Guest

    > Very recently almost every time I shut down the computer the XPcom
    > dialogue box appears and announces a program is not responding and
    > attempts to close it (or whatever it is doing).
    >
    > When I look at Task Manager, Firefox.exe is still there even tho there
    > is no visible sign of FF running. The times when the computer closes
    > normally Firefox is not on Task manager.
    >
    > Any advice please, not too technical I'm no computer wizz!
    >
    > Firefox 2. XP SP2 No other computer issues.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Bert.

    No advise here. Just the remark that they still did not fix that bug by the
    looks of it. Previous versions of FF all had the same bug: closing FF but it
    stays active in the background :-( Not all the time but at random.

    --
    Menno
    =====================

    TheCroW, Nov 11, 2006
  4. Bert

    Bert Guest

    Many thanks, yes that is eactly what I did, the new over the old.
    How do I save the bookmarks if I "zap" the FF folder first?

    Thanks again.

    Bert.

    ..

    Bert, Nov 12, 2006
  5. Bert wrote:
    > Many thanks, yes that is eactly what I did, the new over the old.
    > How do I save the bookmarks if I "zap" the FF folder first?
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > Bert.
    >

    > .
    >> If you installed FF 2.0 over FF 1.5 then you may have encountered the
    >> bug where the FF 2.0 installer doesn't wait long enough for FF 1.5 to
    >> close down before it starts replacing the files.
    >>
    >> A possible fix is to uninstall FF 2.0, move the FF application folder to
    >> the recycle bin and reinstall FF 2.0.

    User data us stored in your profile, in a separate location.
    Uninstalling and reinstalling will not touch the profile.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Nov 12, 2006
  6. On 11/11/2006 09:17 PM, Bert wrote:
    > Mumia W. wrote:
    >> If you installed FF 2.0 over FF 1.5 then you may have encountered the
    >> bug where the FF 2.0 installer doesn't wait long enough for FF 1.5 to
    >> close down before it starts replacing the files.
    >>
    >> A possible fix is to uninstall FF 2.0, move the FF application folder to
    >> the recycle bin and reinstall FF 2.0.

    > Many thanks, yes that is eactly what I did, the new over the old.
    > How do I save the bookmarks if I "zap" the FF folder first?
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > Bert.

    Your bookmarks are stored separately from the FF application directory.

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/

    Mumia W. (reading news), Nov 12, 2006
  7. Bert

    Bert Guest

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 07:17:07 GMT, "Mumia W. (reading news)"
    <> wrote:

    >On 11/11/2006 09:17 PM, Bert wrote:
    >> Mumia W. wrote:
    >>> If you installed FF 2.0 over FF 1.5 then you may have encountered the
    >>> bug where the FF 2.0 installer doesn't wait long enough for FF 1.5 to
    >>> close down before it starts replacing the files.
    >>>
    >>> A possible fix is to uninstall FF 2.0, move the FF application folder to
    >>> the recycle bin and reinstall FF 2.0.

    How do I move/delete the .dlls. Most files moved to the trash bin, but
    cannot do anything with the .dlls including XPCom. Properties show no
    attributes ticked..

    After removal of the allowed files I reinstalled and not surprisingly
    the problem still exists.

    Bert.

    Bert, Nov 14, 2006
  8. On 11/14/2006 05:12 AM, Bert wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 07:17:07 GMT, "Mumia W. (reading news)"
    > <> wrote:

    > How do I move/delete the .dlls. Most files moved to the trash bin, but
    > cannot do anything with the .dlls including XPCom. Properties show no
    > attributes ticked..
    >
    > After removal of the allowed files I reinstalled and not surprisingly
    > the problem still exists.
    >
    > Bert.

    Firefox must be completely closed before you delete its application
    folder. If it's still running, then its .dll files will be in use and
    not-modifiable.

    If Firefox won't close properly, use the Task Manager to close it.

    Mumia W. (reading news), Nov 14, 2006
  9. Bert

    Bert Guest

    >Firefox must be completely closed before you delete its application
    >folder. If it's still running, then its .dll files will be in use and
    >not-modifiable.
    >
    >If Firefox won't close properly, use the Task Manager to close it.

    I uninstalled V2 and deleted as much of the FF folder as I could
    therefore thought that it was not running. Will go through the
    process again and be certain that it is indeed closed before I start.

    Thanks again.

    Bert

    Bert, Nov 14, 2006