    I'm setting up an Asus A8N with dual boot of XP32 & XP64 in separate
    partitions. To save HD space I want to install MS Office 2000 so it can be
    used by both OS'. Any advice on how to make this work?

    Goody2shoe, Jun 11, 2005

  2. Yes they can, but I would not be surprised if you get error messages when
    launching winword from another partition since when you install an
    application it integrates itself with the registry. But it should work since
    Office 2000 installs itself in the x86 Program Files folder on x64. I still
    say its not recommended.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 11, 2005

  3. Goody2shoe <> wrote:
    > I'm setting up an Asus A8N with dual boot of XP32 & XP64 in separate
    > partitions. To save HD space I want to install MS Office 2000 so it
    > can be used by both OS'. Any advice on how to make this work?

    You have to install the soft twice but you can do it in the same directory
    on one hard disk

    Cheers

    --
    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    Johannesburg - South Africa

    Christian Hougardy, Jun 11, 2005
  4. Goody2shoe

    John Barnes Guest

    Good idea. Usually works. Word sometimes has an activation issue. Don't
    know why.

    John Barnes, Jun 11, 2005
  5. But Christian, wouldn't cause some conflict for one of operating systems if
    its registering to different operating systems. Meaning, if I install on x64
    first, then go and install on XP 32bit its going to wipe out some
    registration between the 64 bit Windows and Office?

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 11, 2005
  6. Goody2shoe

    Goody2shoe Guest

    Re: XP64 & XP32 dual boot - can they share an MS Office 2000 install? - how about Office Updates?

    Thank you C.H. It sounds like you have done this yourself.
    If I understand you, I need to install Office under each OS, custom install
    and specify the same directory & all the same customizations in each
    install. Will the installation sequence matter? Would it be better to
    install Office under XP32 then under XP64?
    I'm thinking a separate partition for Programs might help me keep things
    straight, any opinion about that? Any advice on issues with installing
    Office updates?
    Thanks again

    Goody2shoe, Jun 11, 2005
  7. Andre Da Costa [Extended64] <> wrote:
    > But Christian, wouldn't cause some conflict for one of operating
    > systems if its registering to different operating systems. Meaning,
    > if I install on x64 first, then go and install on XP 32bit its going
    > to wipe out some registration between the 64 bit Windows and Office?

    Hi Dré,

    No, no problem at all here. I had to activate the suite twice, but the files
    with the infos are not in the office directory but on each OS. So, no mixing
    possible.
    John said something about activation. Maybe was he refering to the fact that
    he had to activate the soft twice, just like I did.

    Cheers

    --
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Christian Hougardy, Jun 11, 2005
  8. Re: XP64 & XP32 dual boot - can they share an MS Office 2000 install? - how about Office Updates?

    Goody2shoe <> wrote:
    > Thank you C.H. It sounds like you have done this yourself.
    > If I understand you, I need to install Office under each OS, custom
    > install and specify the same directory & all the same customizations
    > in each install. Will the installation sequence matter? Would it be
    > better to install Office under XP32 then under XP64?
    > I'm thinking a separate partition for Programs might help me keep
    > things straight, any opinion about that? Any advice on issues with
    > installing Office updates?
    > Thanks again

    Yes, that's what I did. I think that the order is not relevant.
    Not a bad idea to put all your programs on a separate partition. The day you
    want to get rid of your XP32bit (I hope the day will come soon, you just
    have to wipe your partition and you keep the softs. Great idea as a matter
    of fact ;)

    For the updates, I'm using Microsoft Update, do not have to go to the office
    update website. So far, I didn't have to download the patches twice as I'm
    using just one dir for the suite.

    If you experience something different, please let me know.

    Cheers

    Christian Hougardy, Jun 11, 2005
  9. Microsoft implemented Activation in Office 2000 Service Release 1, but it
    was disabled in 2003, you shouldn't have activate it any more. I remember I
    had always activate Office 2000 Premium and one day when I reinstalled it it
    never requested activation again.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 11, 2005
  10. Re: XP64 & XP32 dual boot - can they share an MS Office 2000 install? - how about Office Updates?

    Microsoft Update I think only supports Office XP and 2003 for patches.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 11, 2005
  11. Goody2shoe

    Goody2shoe Guest

    Re: XP64 & XP32 dual boot - can they share an MS Office 2000 install? - how about Office Updates?

    Thanks again CH. I'll post a new topic next week when I've tried this out.
    It's very cool to be getting support from someone on the other side of the
    planet. It really brings home the WorldWide part of WWW. I might never have
    connected with anyone here in Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA that could advise
    on this.

    Goody2shoe, Jun 11, 2005
  12. Andre Da Costa [Extended64] <> wrote:
    > Microsoft implemented Activation in Office 2000 Service Release 1,
    > but it was disabled in 2003, you shouldn't have activate it any more.
    > I remember I had always activate Office 2000 Premium and one day when
    > I reinstalled it it never requested activation again.

    Well, trust me Dré; you still have to activate Office 2k3 unless you have a
    corporate version

    Cheers

    Christian Hougardy, Jun 11, 2005
  13. No, I meant the year 2003, not the software. Office 2000 Service Release
    stop requiring you to activate it in the year 2003. This is exactly why I
    wish Microsoft would go back to decimal points. LOL! To clear up another
    misconception, Office 2000 [Service Release 1] required activation, but it
    was in the form of registration.

    When Office 2000 was initially released in June of 1999 it asked you after
    it was installed would you like to register Office which you could say or no
    without getting a warning that you only have number of launches left until
    it goes into reduced Functionality Mode.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 11, 2005
  14. Goody2shoe

    John Barnes Guest

    You can trust me too. I still haven't activated mine in x64 since I an not
    sure I am going to bother keeping it, but I am in the countdown of the
    number of times I can use it before it stops working. I have Word 2002.

    John Barnes, Jun 11, 2005
  15. Goody2shoe

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: XP64 & XP32 dual boot - can they share an MS Office 2000 install? - how about Office Updates?

    It certainly supports Word 2002. Don't know about any other part of office.

    John Barnes, Jun 11, 2005
  16. Re: XP64 & XP32 dual boot - can they share an MS Office 2000 install? - how about Office Updates?

    Word 2002 is a part of the Office XP family (Office XP is version 2002 or 10
    of Microsoft Office).

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 11, 2005
  17. How many launches do you have left? I know that in 2003 you only 9 launches
    until activation.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 11, 2005
  18. Goody2shoe

    John Barnes Guest

    44 I think it started at 49 so guess there were 50 initially.

    John Barnes, Jun 12, 2005
  19. Use it wisely. ;-)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 12, 2005
  20. Goody2shoe

    R. C. White Guest

    Re: XP64 & XP32 dual boot - can they share an MS Office 2000 install? - how about Office Updates?

    Hi, Christian.

    I've been running Office 2003 Enterprise, from the MSDN DVD, for a year or
    so on 32-bit WinXP Pro. After installing WinXP Pro x64 from MSDN last
    month, I installed Office 2003 again in x64, into the same folder.
    Everything works fine...EXCEPT:

    > For the updates, I'm using Microsoft Update, do not have to go to the
    > office update website. So far, I didn't have to download the patches twice
    > as I'm using just one dir for the suite.

    Microsoft Update in x64 downloaded the Office 2003 updates just fine (all 6
    of them, including the French dictionary stuff which I probably have no need
    for), but every attempt at installing them fails - all 6 of them. Everytime
    I shut down the computer, it says it is installing them - but it always
    fails again. There are some rather complex steps outlined in a KB article,
    but I haven't had the time or energy to follow them yet. Before getting MU,
    I had downloaded them with the older Office Update - and had the same
    results: they download, but installation fails. The update went smoothly
    when running 32-bit WinXP. Maybe I don't need to update again in x64, but
    MU detected the updates, downloaded them and keeps trying to install them.

    Recap: Installation was easy. Operation is fine. Updates download but
    don't install in x64.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA