    install.

    Thanks,
    Greg
    Greg Horne, Nov 15, 2005

  2. Which version of Internet Explorer did you attempt to use to acquire the
    updates, 32-bit or 64-bit? Try not to use 64-bit since it requires certain
    active x controls which might be available. If you used IE 32-Bit and its a
    similar issue, what type of chip set are you using? If its by nVidia, its
    possible that it could be the nVidia Firewall, you can remove it by
    reinstalling the nVidia firewall and then uninstall it.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 15, 2005

  3. Also, Carlos wrote:
    Go to: http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp
    Once in the page choose the Updates for Windows OS's.
    Select Windows XP Professional x64 Edition from the next page and follow as
    instructed.
    In a few secs you'll be shown all patches/updates available.
    Happy downloading.
    Carlos

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 15, 2005
  4. The updates for x64 have not been nearly as numerous as the ones for x86, so
    don't expect to be seeing the same downloads at all. x86 and x64 have very
    different code bases.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 16, 2005
  5. Greg Horne

    Greg Horne Guest

    Thanks all for the info. The initial update does seem to have a few patches
    but I guess I was just expecting more. Maybe all was well.

    I am running an nForce4 chipset with a dual core AMD. I don't recall any
    NVIDIA Firewall references during the setup/install.

    While on XP64... I am wondering if it really is worth it right now. For
    instance, all my applications are 32-bit and I work mainly in
    VB.NET/ASP.NET. I suspect there really wouldn't be any speed increases by
    just going to XP64... correct assumption?

    Thanks,
    Greg

    Greg Horne, Nov 16, 2005
  6. http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/programming/64bit/devtools/

    I don't think ASP.NET is compatible with x64, VB .Net runs just fine.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 16, 2005
  7. 64-bit processors provide more head room and 32-bit apps can benefit from
    this. Don't assume the same performance. The nVidia firewall doesn't have
    to be fully installed to impact the system. The advice is to install it
    anyway and then uninstall it because that will remove all components. It is
    counterintuitive, but do it anyway.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 16, 2005
  8. Greg Horne

    Randy Guest

    I got the same basic set (about 12MB) of updates for both XP Pro and Server
    2003 (x64) the very first try on each, right after my initial system was
    installed/setup (video drivers, GUI my way, mobo, network, & display
    drivers, etc.)

    I *think* I used the 64-bit version of MSIE, but I played with the 32-bit
    version as well for comparison.

    I think I updated even before installing my virus scanner and firewall...
    got anxious with happy fingers, typing away at old, comforting URLS.
    Hehhehheh. I wonder if the OP installed a virus scanner and firewall in a
    more proper manner, and one could have caused problems (as somebody has
    suggested)...

    Randy, Nov 16, 2005
  9. Greg Horne

    Randy Guest

    Colin,

    I can't recall which review mentioned it right now, but one or more that I
    read said some 32-bit apps actually ran *slower* under 64-bit conditions...
    I guess that could be indicative of programming snafus, rather than anything
    else. But the speed increase can't be assumed. However, I think the
    reliability and overall performance enhancements probably can be, even
    without considering 64-bit concepts. At least I would hope so, and it seems
    borne out by most of the successful experiences written up in here.

    Randy, Nov 16, 2005
  10. Microsoft Update requires the 32-bit edition of IE due to an ActiveX control
    that is needed.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 16, 2005
  11. In my general reading the perf gain for 32-bit apps from the increased
    headroom at least compensates for the thin WOW64 emulation layer and many
    programs benefit further by around 15%. Some reports put the gain higher,
    especially when dealing with memory hungry apps. Very few apps run slower
    but there does not seem to be a pattern. I run on a dual-core AMD64 cpu
    with 4GB of ram and I am getting big gains in perf. across the board at
    2.4Ghz versus my 2.8 and 3.0 Pentium 4's, each with 2GB.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 16, 2005
  12. There have been numerous reviews in the press about this & that, when it
    comes to x64 - if you try and have all that crystalize into something
    coherent, something you can actually sit down and watch for yourself - you
    will fail, I think. Not because those reviews aren't authored by
    knowledgeable people, but because we are reading reviews that have nothing
    in common, appart from the general subject. It's true - as you can see for
    yourself right here, that some people are having problems with some devices,
    quite a lot of people are having problems from coupling things together that
    they shouldn't have, and some are having problems because they initially
    misunderstand certain consepts that follow in the footsteps of any new
    technology. You can take myself as a prime example. But, you say:

    "Speed increase can't be assumed".

    I say: If it runs at all, you can assume that it will run without any slow
    down - and most likely, noticeably faster. That is, of course, assuming you
    aren't having any of those 'other' issues.

    Many people still are under the misconception that a computer is a piece of
    consumer goods, like a fridge, you take it home, plug it in and ten minutes
    later you have cold beer! Comes a new buzz-word, (64bit!) and some
    immediatly start screeming for miracles.

    In my view, for the home user, the benefits from the AMD64 running Winx64,
    comes not from the larger adressable memory space, but comes from the
    on-chip memory controler, the larger registers, the far better virtual
    memory management in the OS, among many other - this is stuff that you
    simply cannot miss. That the general benefits of such a system should centre
    around heavy business related computing, is a misconception on it's own.
    This is a wonderful system. This just chugs happily away on anything you
    throw at it.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 16, 2005