    --
    There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who
    don't
    Vic Baron, Jan 6, 2009

  2. Vic Baron

    Carlos Guest

    Vic,
    Have you checked Device Manager for the absence of question marks or bangs
    beside the devices?
    In other words, is all hour harddware "seen" properly by XP x64?
    Is it possible that the system is going to standby (suspension) instead of
    powering down?
    What is your hardware configuration (motherboard, etc.)?
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 6, 2009

  3. Vic Baron

    Vic Baron Guest

    Rampage Extreme X48 mobo with Q9650 CPU - 4G Corsair DDR3 ram - GTX280 video
    card

    I'll double check the DM and suspend mode when I get home. It was just as I
    went to bed last night after doing the install that I noticed the problem. I
    changed no settings in the BIOS, only thing done was format and install
    XP64.

    At shutdown, I recall that the OS appeared to shutdown and I heard the
    "click" that some systems make when shutting down but the light and fans
    were still on. Very well maybe suspend mode.

    Vic Baron, Jan 6, 2009
  4. Vic Baron

    Vic Baron Guest

    event viewer all ok. device manager all ok. not in suspend mode. really
    puzzling becuz it worked in xp32

    Vic Baron, Jan 7, 2009
  5. I am not sure if I remember, but wasn't there an issue with 'Fast User
    Switching' that Windows use as a Default, and that does not appear if you
    have your desktop set to 'Classic Menus'?

    Or - you may need one of the updates that'll come trickling down the line in
    a few days?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 7, 2009
  6. Vic Baron

    Carlos Guest

    Vic,
    What happens when you press the power on button after a shutdown?
    Does it boot normally or are you taken directly to the desktop?
    The fact that the fans keeps spinning and some lights are on leads me to
    think that it is suspend indeed.
    Sometimes fans keep spinning when the keyboard and mouse have in their
    properties the checkmark for using that device for returning from standby
    (Power Management tab in device properties).

    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 7, 2009
  7. I'll rephrase - when I say 'does not appear', I mean, the option to turn it
    off is hidden from view under Classic Menus, you will have to go to User
    Accounts in Control Panel to see the option.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 7, 2009
  8. Vic Baron

    Vic Baron Guest

    The option (Fast User Switching) grayed out when I disabled the Welcome
    Screen.

    Vic Baron, Jan 7, 2009
  9. Vic Baron

    Vic Baron Guest

    I DID notice that the HDD's are shutting down but case fans, memory fans,
    etc are still running.

    I usually press and hold the power button to turn it off - haven't tried
    just a press.

    Will try when I get home - have a feeling you're on to something.

    Question is - how do I get back to a normal power down. I have everything
    set in power options to not use sleep or suspend mode.

    Well, let's see if we can identify the cause and go from there.

    Just on an off chance, and because I was going to need it anyway, I
    purchased another copy of XP64 with SP2 and am going to reformat and
    reinstall tomorrow night. Gee! In a way it feels good to do this BEFORE
    installing all the software rather than after the system is set up! :)

    Vic Baron, Jan 7, 2009
  10. Vic Baron

    Carlos Guest

    Vic,
    Looks as if the OS were telling the mobo to shut down but it opts instead to
    sleep!
    You might also find useful info in your mobo manufacturer's forums.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 7, 2009
  11. Vic Baron

    Vic Baron Guest

    I'll check there also. Puzzling tho that it worked fine in XP32. Only thing
    I did was format and install XP64 - no BIOS or setup changes.

    Vic Baron, Jan 7, 2009
  12. Vic Baron

    Carlos Guest

    Vic,
    XP32 and XP64 may look similar on the surface but that is as far as it gets.
    XP64 is a different beast based on Windows Server 2003 code, as Charlie has
    pointed out several times.
    Also check if you already have the latest BIOS update for your motherboard
    (one of Tony's favorite suggestions).
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 7, 2009
  13. Vic Baron

    Vic Baron Guest

    Yup - latest BIOS, latest chipset drivers.

    Going to try something else - install was from a CD that I had slipstreamed
    SP2 on. Probably ok but I bought a fresh OEM cd with SP2 included - going to
    build a second system anyway.

    Think I'll reformat tomorrow night and install from the new disk and see if
    there is any change.

    Vic Baron, Jan 7, 2009
  14. Vic Baron

    Carlos Guest

    Ok, just keep us posted.
    It will be interesting to see what happens next.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 7, 2009
  15. Vic Baron

    Vic Baron Guest

    Just as a FYI - will be doing the reinstall tonight but last night I
    reformatted and installed XP32 again - worked perfectly - system shutdown as
    expected. Did memory tests and HD scans so the hardware or the BIOS aren't
    the culprit.

    I'll post again after I reinstall XP64 from the new CD tonight.

    Thanx!

    Vic Baron, Jan 8, 2009
  16. Vic Baron

    Carlos Guest

    Alex,
    PC's have a regulated power supply that complete isolates them from mains
    variations and/or interferences.
    I don't deny the fact that it may have worked for you but as an electrical
    engineer it seems quite odd.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 8, 2009
  17. Vic Baron

    John Barnes Guest

    Plus we are talking about XP64 not Vista

    John Barnes, Jan 8, 2009
  18. Vic Baron

    Vic Baron Guest

    NO joy. :(

    Did a full format and install of XP64/wSp2 fresh CD from Newegg. Installed
    without problem.

    First thing I did was system shutdown - got shutdown message, screen turned
    to blue background ( NOT bsod), cursor frozen, HDD shut down but system and
    fans running.

    Tried pushing power button and various key combos - nothing would wake
    system. Held power button until power down.

    Installed latest mobo and chipset drivers and tried again - same result.

    In CPanel/Power Options - I set for home/desktop - never suspend or
    hibernate - no power down HDD's and turn monitor off never

    same result.

    Since this was working just fine in XP32 - anyone have any more thoughts?

    Thanx

    Vic Baron, Jan 9, 2009
  19. Vic Baron

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Vic:
    I vaguely remember the same problem either in beta or an early system
    build. It was a driver issue, most likely video or chipset driver. It only
    happened on one computer so it's hard to remember which driver.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    XP x64 SP2, Vista Enterprise x64 SP1

    Dennis Pack, Jan 9, 2009
  20. As for 'Power Settings' I have mine set to 'Minimal', but then I'm on a AMD
    system.

    I am sure we've heard of this before, just cannot remember. . .

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 9, 2009