    current upgrade?
    --
    Jim

    =?Utf-8?B?aHVnaGVzanY=?=, May 12, 2005

  2. No announcements such as that have been made, so I'd have to say that it's
    unlikely.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 12, 2005

  3. "hughesjv" <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know if there will be a program for those of us who were early
    > adopters and ran out embraced XP before the March 31, 2003 date set for
    > the
    > current upgrade?

    It rather depends what you mean.
    If you went out and bought an x64 system then it would have been supplied
    with probably a 32-bit OS - in which case contact the OEM for their swap out
    policy.
    If you built it yourself then if you also purchased a 32-bit Windows XP
    Professional for this machine then you can swap that out yourself at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/upgrade/default.mspx

    If the above does not apply to you and all you did was download or get the
    CD of the Preview Program release then you will have to buy an OEM copy fo
    x64 Windows XP from one of the online retailers. (or purchase a 32-bit
    Windows XP and swap it out as above)

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], May 12, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?aHVnaGVzanY=?=

    ocbwilg Guest

    "hughesjv" <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know if there will be a program for those of us who were early
    > adopters and ran out embraced XP before the March 31, 2003 date set for
    > the
    > current upgrade?

    The Opteron CPU was launched in April 2003. The Athlon 64 and Athlon 64 FX
    chips weren't launched until September 2003. Intel CPUs with EM64T were not
    available until late 2004/early 2005. Are you saying that you actually
    bought an x64-based system before March 31, 2003? Because I find that
    highly unlikely.

    As I understand it, the TAP was designed to accommodate users who purchased
    an x64-based PC but bought it with a 32-bit Windows XP Pro license because
    x64 Windows XP Pro was not yet available. It wasn't designed to give
    everyone who bought Windows XP Pro a free upgrade to XP x64.

    ocbwilg, May 12, 2005
  5. Exactly. The only folks who might get caught by this are those who took an
    existing XP machine and replaced the motherboard with an x64 motherboard, and
    re-used the existing XP on that rebuilt machine. (A legal use of a RETAIL
    copy of XP, assuming you completely retire the old mobo, but NOT of an OEM
    XP.) They might well have a copy of XP that predates March 31, 2003,
    installed on an x64 enabled machine.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 12, 2005
  6. You are the closest...I originally built my machine and have upgraded to a 64
    bit board with the legal OEM software I purchased. I typically build 40-100
    machines a year and verified with Microsoft people that as long as I keep the
    same case, I can perform upgrades to whatever I need and still be within the
    license agreement.
    --
    Jim

    =?Utf-8?B?aHVnaGVzanY=?=, May 13, 2005
  7. Jim,
    I posed your question to a number of people.
    Per our Marketing Folks:
    "That's when the first x64 machines began shipping. These programs are
    generally designed to be what we call a technology guarantee, meaning that
    the purchaser can buy a PC with confidence knowing that they will not be
    left behind when we ship a new version of Windows. The cutoff is usually
    only a few months, but with this program we extended back to when the first
    Opteron shipped and the first time a customer could have feasibly built an
    x64 machine.

    The software date doesn't matter. we care about machine build date."

    Hope this answers it.
    --
    -Joe Swart [MSFT]

    Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions. Please use these
    newsgroups.

    Joe Swart [MSFT], May 13, 2005
  8. I am not necessarily looking for a "Free" Upgrade but some upgrade path to
    the 64 Bit XP without having to re-buy the complete package for a second
    time. I realize that I have owned my XP much longer than those that bought
    or built thier machines when 64 Bit processors arrived on the scene but what
    I did is legal and it seems there ought to be an upgrade path for the rest of
    who upgrade their CPU/MB on a regular basis.
    --
    Jim

    =?Utf-8?B?aHVnaGVzanY=?=, May 13, 2005
  9. Well, if I read Joe's answer correctly, you should be covered. You built that
    machine post March 31, 2003. On the other hand, the statement that the
    machine is the case, wrt the original OEM license, sounds completely contrary
    to the way the retail version is licensed, where it basically goes with the
    mobo. But however you look at it, I would at least trying the submission.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 13, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?aHVnaGVzanY=?=

    magnium Guest

    i agree completely. Lets face it within 2 hours you could download a full
    working pirated version. Upgrades for all ligitamate copys should be
    offered.

    magnium, May 13, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?aHVnaGVzanY=?=

    Rick Guest

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > Well, if I read Joe's answer correctly, you should be covered. You built that
    > machine post March 31, 2003. On the other hand, the statement that the
    > machine is the case, wrt the original OEM license, sounds completely contrary
    > to the way the retail version is licensed, where it basically goes with the
    > mobo. But however you look at it, I would at least trying the submission.

    If the license goes with the MB why does is say "You are required to
    affix this Certificate of Authenticity to the exterior of the PC."?
    Last time I checked the MB was inside the case, not on the outside.

    Rick, May 13, 2005
  12. "magnium" <> wrote in message
    >i agree completely. Lets face it within 2 hours you could download a full
    >working pirated version. Upgrades for all ligitamate copys should be
    >offered.

    Just because you feel you can steal something with impunity does not mean
    you should be given it for free from the owner.
    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], May 13, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?aHVnaGVzanY=?=

    magnium Guest

    Free no...
    But an upgarde opertunity yes

    Sorry you misunderstood me

    magnium, May 13, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?aHVnaGVzanY=?=

    ocbwilg Guest

    "hughesjv" <> wrote in message
    >I am not necessarily looking for a "Free" Upgrade but some upgrade path to
    > the 64 Bit XP without having to re-buy the complete package for a second
    > time. I realize that I have owned my XP much longer than those that
    > bought
    > or built thier machines when 64 Bit processors arrived on the scene but
    > what
    > I did is legal and it seems there ought to be an upgrade path for the rest
    > of
    > who upgrade their CPU/MB on a regular basis.

    Except that there isn't an "upgrade" package available, it's OEM only. If
    there were a discounted upgrade package (which would obviously be retail)
    then that would be your most appropriate path, but Microsoft has decided
    (quite wisely IMHO) not to go the retail route.

    It kinda sucks to get caught in a situation like this, but your case is
    probably pretty exceptional. As Joe indicated, the program is more of a
    technology guarantee that you can buy your PC with XP32 and not have to
    worry about missing out on x64. Obviously that couldn't have factored into
    your decision when you purchased 32-bit XP since 64-bit CPUs were not
    available yet. Even though you may be doing everything legally and
    legitimately, the program does not appear to be open to (or created for)
    everyone who has legally licensed XP Pro, but a specific subset of those
    users who had 64-bit capabilities in mind when purchasing their systems and
    OS.

    Personally, I think that going back over two years and allowing all of those
    purchasers an upgrade is really an extraordinary gesture, especially
    compared to how Microsoft has handled these cases in the past.

    ocbwilg, May 13, 2005
  15. I agree that this a generous technology program but even older operating
    systems have upgrade paths. The part that really bugs me is that tecnically
    this is not even a new OS it is an upgraded version of the same OS. Again, I
    am a legal customer who has receipts for all my software...I would like some
    kind of fair offer to allow me to take advantage of my 64 Bit AMD Processors.
    --
    Jim

    =?Utf-8?B?aHVnaGVzanY=?=, May 14, 2005
  16. =?Utf-8?B?aHVnaGVzanY=?=

    ocbwilg Guest

    "hughesjv" <> wrote in message
    >I agree that this a generous technology program but even older operating
    > systems have upgrade paths. The part that really bugs me is that
    > tecnically

    Not exactly true. There is no upgrade path to Media Cetner Edition either,
    as it is also OEM-only. Usually there is only an upgrade path if there is a
    retail package, and in the cases of x64 and Media Cetner Edition there is
    neither.

    ocbwilg, May 16, 2005