xp64 update problem

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Soma11, Nov 6, 2005.

  1. Soma11

    Soma11 Guest

    Hello experts!

    My problem, when I have xp64 booted, I can't update xp64 via the update page
    in IE 32 bit - the green line just goes and goes searching without finding
    updates. Same with both buttons - express or custom.

    I tried some manual updates via download and got this:

    Update x64 (db823980), the error was "image file
    c:\80e3da3bb8db1d5cc\xpsp1hfm.exe is valid but for a machine type other than
    the current machine.

    Update x64 (kb835732) was tried and said the same, except reported on
    c:\080db1cfc732ce0208\update\update.exe.

    Why is the updater looking in c: when my 64 OS is in d: ? and why doesen't
    the update page in IE work for me?

    I have Win xp64 running on my PC with an Athlon64 3200+ CPU. I already had
    Win xp pro on HD C [150 gb]: so I put the xp64 install on HD D [43 gb]: all
    by itself. No problem with the install and runing xp64, plus it identified
    all my hardware (except an old parallel port ScanMaker X6). I can live
    without the scanner as it runs fine when I boot into xp32 it operates. No
    problems with the dual boot deal.
    Soma11, Nov 6, 2005

  2. Soma11

    Soma11 Guest

    More info, I can download other stuff just fine off the Internet. I tried
    turning off the win64 firewall, plus my Avast AV64 software too and that
    didn't change the update problem.

    Soma11, Nov 6, 2005

  3. If you are using an nVidia chipset, please uninstall the nVidia FireWall,
    re-run the setup and choose uninstall.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 6, 2005
  4. Soma11

    Soma11 Guest

    Thanks guy,

    The nVidia firewall was my problem. Taking it out allowed me to dnld 14
    security fixes.

    Soma11, Nov 6, 2005
  5. Soma11

    Soma11 Guest

    Thanks Da Costa,

    Soma11, Nov 6, 2005
  6. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 7, 2005