    Thanks
    --
    Richard
    Richard, Jan 26, 2007

  2. Richard

    Guest

    On Jan 26, 2:33 pm, Richard <> wrote:
    > Can anyone suggest how I can connect an XP 64 computer to speak to a Mac
    > running OS 9.2 please?
    >
    > I've tried my Maclan 2000 version which works well with XP 32 but though
    > it loads fine in XP64 and everything seems to be set correctly, it does
    > not see the Mac.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    > --
    > Richard

    I'm not a mac user, but it would be useful to state if you are using a
    router or a crossover cable. Generally life is simple with a router,
    especially with DHCP. For instance, I'd log into the router to see that
    both machines are "seen."

    Are you expecting more than say FTP? SInce the Mac runs on closed
    version of BSD, you might be able to install samba on it.
    , Jan 27, 2007

  3. Richard wrote:

    >Can anyone suggest how I can connect an XP 64 computer to speak to a Mac
    >running OS 9.2 please?
    >
    >I've tried my Maclan 2000 version which works well with XP 32 but though
    >it loads fine in XP64 and everything seems to be set correctly, it does
    >not see the Mac.

    You may need to upgrade to the current version (2007) of PC MacLan from
    CA, which does support XP64 according to their website support pages.

    Alternatively, if you're planning on staying put at OS9 on the Mac, you
    might want to go for Thursby's Dave (which runs on the Mac rather than on
    the PC).

    http://www.thursby.com/products/dave.html

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Jan 27, 2007
  4. Richard

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    If all you wan to do is transfer files, you may be able to set up an FTP
    server on one machine and just use that.

    Serv-U (www.rhinosoft.com) lets you use the "Personal Edition" for free
    which is certainly fully-featured enough to do this. You'd just need an FTP
    client for Mac OS 9.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Jan 27, 2007
  5. Richard

    Nut Cracker Guest

    > I'm not a mac user, but it would be useful to state if you are using a
    > router or a crossover cable. Generally life is simple with a router,
    > especially with DHCP. For instance, I'd log into the router to see that
    > both machines are "seen."
    >
    > Are you expecting more than say FTP? SInce the Mac runs on closed
    > version of BSD, you might be able to install samba on it.

    OS9.2 is different ... no BSD there. Its PURE MacOS.
    Nut Cracker, Jan 29, 2007
  6. Richard

    Richard Guest

    In his posting of Fri, 26 Jan 2007, writes

    >On Jan 26, 2:33 pm, Richard <> wrote:
    >> Can anyone suggest how I can connect an XP 64 computer to speak to a Mac
    >> running OS 9.2 please?
    >>
    >> I've tried my Maclan 2000 version which works well with XP 32 but though
    >> it loads fine in XP64 and everything seems to be set correctly, it does
    >> not see the Mac.
    >>
    >> Any help would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> --
    >> Richard

    >I'm not a mac user, but it would be useful to state if you are using a
    >router or a crossover cable. Generally life is simple with a router,
    >especially with DHCP. For instance, I'd log into the router to see that
    >both machines are "seen."
    >
    >Are you expecting more than say FTP? SInce the Mac runs on closed
    >version of BSD, you might be able to install samba on it.

    My apologies for the delay but I've been away.

    I should have said that when I try to run Maclan under XP64 I get a
    warning that the Apple talk driver was not found, installation
    incomplete.

    I am running through a hub which has a router connected for Internet
    access.

    Thanks.

    Richard
    Richard, Feb 4, 2007
  7. Richard

    Richard Guest

    In his posting of Sat, 27 Jan 2007, Steve Foster [SBS MVP] writes
    >Richard wrote:
    >
    >>Can anyone suggest how I can connect an XP 64 computer to speak to a
    >>Mac running OS 9.2 please?
    >>
    >>I've tried my Maclan 2000 version which works well with XP 32 but
    >>though it loads fine in XP64 and everything seems to be set correctly,
    >>it does not see the Mac.

    >You may need to upgrade to the current version (2007) of PC MacLan from
    >CA, which does support XP64 according to their website support pages.
    >
    >Alternatively, if you're planning on staying put at OS9 on the Mac, you
    >might want to go for Thursby's Dave (which runs on the Mac rather than
    >on the PC).
    >
    >http://www.thursby.com/products/dave.html

    My apologies for the delay in replying. I've been to the Maclan web
    site but cannot see any reference to this product running on XP64
    unfortunately. Can you point me to where they state this please. I
    also looked at Dave but again I could not spot the all important XP64
    confirmation <G>

    Cheers

    Richard
    --
    Richard
    Richard, Feb 4, 2007
  8. Richard wrote:

    >In his posting of Sat, 27 Jan 2007, Steve Foster [SBS MVP] writes
    >>Richard wrote:
    >>
    >>>Can anyone suggest how I can connect an XP 64 computer to speak to a Mac
    >>>running OS 9.2 please?
    >>>
    >>>I've tried my Maclan 2000 version which works well with XP 32 but though
    >>>it loads fine in XP64 and everything seems to be set correctly, it does
    >>>not see the Mac.

    >>You may need to upgrade to the current version (2007) of PC MacLan from
    >>CA, which does support XP64 according to their website support pages.
    >>
    >>Alternatively, if you're planning on staying put at OS9 on the Mac, you
    >>might want to go for Thursby's Dave (which runs on the Mac rather than on
    >>the PC).
    >>
    >>http://www.thursby.com/products/dave.html
    >>

    >My apologies for the delay in replying. I've been to the Maclan web
    >site but cannot see any reference to this product running on XP64
    >unfortunately. Can you point me to where they state this please. I
    >also looked at Dave but again I could not spot the all important XP64
    >confirmation <G>

    Second question on:
    http://shop.ca.com/Support/techsupport/pcmaclan.aspx

    Dave runs on the Mac, not the PC, so XP x64 support is irrelevant.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Feb 5, 2007
  9. Richard

    Richard Guest

    In his posting of Mon, 5 Feb 2007, Steve Foster [SBS MVP] writes
    snip

    >>My apologies for the delay in replying. I've been to the Maclan web
    >>site but cannot see any reference to this product running on XP64
    >>unfortunately. Can you point me to where they state this please. I
    >>also looked at Dave but again I could not spot the all important XP64
    >>confirmation <G>

    >Second question on:
    >http://shop.ca.com/Support/techsupport/pcmaclan.aspx
    >
    >Dave runs on the Mac, not the PC, so XP x64 support is irrelevant.

    Thanks for that Steve. Please excuse my ignorance of such matters,
    but I am always very wary when looking at software where the supplier
    bothers to list various OS that are supported but leaves out the very
    one that I'm interested in! Better to try to find out before committing
    credit card<G>

    Cheers
    --
    Richard