    So, the questions are: what is not going right in
    installing xp64 for the dual boot scenario? and why do the drive letters
    show primary as F when in xp32? (D and E are cdrw and dvdR, and slave is C).

    =?Utf-8?B?dG9ueTIwMjA=?=, Sep 21, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?dG9ueTIwMjA=?=

    andy Guest

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:14:04 -0700, "tony2020"
    <> wrote:

    >I first installed the xp32 Home on new primary IDE, which shows up as F drive
    >in
    >"my computer". The slave drive that I want to put xp64 Trial on shows as C
    >drive when I am booted to the xp32. I then booted from cd (xp64 trial disc)
    >and was shown drives C and D, choose one for this install. Here, at the blue
    >partition screen, I chose D,which I'm figuring is the Slave drive, to
    >install 64. I formatted it to NTFS (as I did the other drive). It goes
    >through all the motions to install, but when it does its first auto reboot
    >during setup, it doesn't seem to get past this and starts setup all over
    >again.

    What does "doesn't seem to get past this" mean?

    > As a test, I have set the bios to boot the xp32 drive first which
    >allows a normal bootup.

    Meaning that you boot to XP Home?

    > However, if I set bios to boot the other drive first, nothing
    >happens, no option for which OS I want to boot to (as I presume it never
    >finished installing). Although, I do see files on the C drive resembling
    >xp64 ( I can see a folder labeled "msagent64").
    >
    >So, the questions are: what is not going right in
    >installing xp64 for the dual boot scenario?

    The way dual boot works is you always boot from the first active
    primary partition, which normally is on the master disk connected to
    the first IDE port. When you install XP64 on the slave drive, Setup
    should update the file boot.ini in the primary partition on the master
    disk to give you a choice to boot either XP Home or XP64.

    > and why do the drive letters
    >show primary as F when in xp32? (D and E are cdrw and dvdR, and slave is C).

    Windows Setup will assign drive letters to valid partitions when it
    checks for the existence of hard disks. If it finds partitions, it
    will also assign letters to other storage devices. In your situation,
    the slave disk had a partition which became C:, and the optical drives
    got D: and E:. When you created a partition on the new master disk,
    Setup assigned the next free letter F: to it. If you continue
    installation on F:, that's what you end up with as the Windows drive.

    To avoid this problem, abort Setup using F3-F3 and reboot from the CD.
    Now Setup will see the partition on the first disk and assign C: to
    it, and D: to the partition on the slave disk.

    andy, Sep 23, 2005

  3. What the "it doesn't get past this" means, that once the setup install does
    the first "auto reboot in 15 seconds," then it just wants to start setup all
    over again, going in circles (see new post I just put up before I saw your
    reply). In other words, initial setup files were successfully installed as
    the message states, then goes to the reboot.

    And yes, I can boot up to the xp home listed as drive F no problem when I
    set the bios to boot that drive first.

    So, as of now, I have a bootable xp32 on the master ide, and an incomplete
    "install" of xp64 on the slave drive. I have even entirely reformatted the
    slave drive to ntfs to start from scratch but keep going in circles with it.

    =?Utf-8?B?dG9ueTIwMjA=?=, Sep 23, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?dG9ueTIwMjA=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    What exactly happens on the restart. Do you have to 'hit any key to boot
    from CD' ? and what do you do at that point, just let it continue? If you
    hit a key, you will get back to the reinstall, so what you should try, is to
    remove the cd during the period it says it will reboot, once with each drive
    as boot drive, and let us know what happens under each circumstance. When
    you have your x64 drive as the boot drive, what message do you get, and do
    you have an ntldr ntdetect.com and boot.ini on the x64 drive after you try
    your install (you can check from your x86 drive, since you say you can boot
    it) . Since you keep doing new posts, it is hard to find your system data
    if any you have supplied it. Post the specifics of your mobo, chipset (so
    we don't have to look it up), drives,

    John Barnes, Sep 23, 2005
  5. No, I do not have to hit any key on restart, it would just boot from cd and
    start setup from scratch. When I took the cd out, it gave a disk read error
    and halted, so it apparently had not made IDE bootable yet--that was with the
    xp64 Slave drive set as the boot drive. When I set the xp32 drive as boot
    drive with cd in, it would go to setup, without cd in, it would just boot up
    xp32.
    system specs are: ga-k8ns pro nForce3 250 chipset, amd 3000 64bit, 2 IDEs,
    master and slave. dvdr and cdrw. radeon 9600xt

    I can no longer determine as of this reply if ntldr ntdetect.com and
    boot.ini are present as the slave drive is now in "RAW" form as shown from
    within xp32. I"ll get through that setup stage again and will update the
    post to see what shows.

    =?Utf-8?B?dG9ueTIwMjA=?=, Sep 23, 2005
  6. OK, this is the updated state I"m in now. slave drive is raw, it's a 80gb
    drive, fully plugged in. Master boots to xp32 no problem set as default boot
    drive. I just tried to install xp64 with this setup. Boot from cd asked to
    hit any key to boot from cd, which went to xp64 setup. Here at partition
    screen it shows:
    c: 29314mb partition1 (ntfs) [shows as C here, as F when in XP32]
    8 mb unpartitioned space [I tried to format this space and got msg
    :reserved for windows partition information]
    d: partition unknown 32234 mb [not showing as 80gb drive, why not?] and,
    right now, after doing the above, slave drive is not showing up at all in my
    computer in xp32, only F is showing, ( and D and E the opticals show).
    Suggestions?

    =?Utf-8?B?dG9ueTIwMjA=?=, Sep 23, 2005
  7. Have you had Linux or some other non-Windows OS installed on the disks?

    It seems that there is space on the disk(s) which is recognised as in use
    but which Windows cannot deal with.

    Dominic Payer, Sep 23, 2005
  8. No other non-windows OS have been installed prior. What was there on the
    master was xp64 RC2 which expired. So I then put xp64 trial on there,
    recovered my files, added the second drive, then formatted the original
    drive ntfs and put on xp32 and where I am now. Should I be able to view this
    8mb "reserved" area from within xp32, where maybe I could delete it? What
    could be on there that would seemingly be effecting an installation onto the
    other (slave) drive with xp64?

    =?Utf-8?B?dG9ueTIwMjA=?=, Sep 23, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?dG9ueTIwMjA=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    When you say not showing up, I assume it is still shown in the BIOS (or
    maybe you have a cable problem now). If so, and it doesn't show in
    Explorer, maybe it has no drive letter now. Check in Disk Management. You
    could also try to delete and reformat there instead of in the install. My
    problem was similar, but with SATA drives, but I was able to get the system
    to install and boot if I had a small primary partition and then made an
    extended partition with a logical drive, and installed there. If you can
    see the drive in Disk Management, I would try to make a 1 gig primary
    partition on the drive there, then I would do the install and create a
    partition on the rest of the drive. It will make an extended partition
    without asking. I would do this with your xp32 drive as the first boot
    drive after the CD. See where it puts the ntldr file.

    John Barnes, Sep 24, 2005
  10. The 8MB reserved space is usual.

    In XP Home what does Disk Management show for the slave drive?
    You can partition and format the slave drive in Disk Management in XP Home.

    Dominic Payer, Sep 24, 2005