    that installing 64, "revokes" my licence for XP32, or in otherwords, "theres
    no turning back...".

    Should I take take the plunge?
    =?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4uSmltZGFy?=, Jul 8, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4uSmltZGFy?=

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    "Brian.Jimdar" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello all,
    > I am a dotNet developer in Kirkland, WA, and I just bought a Acer Ferrari
    > 4000, which has a new AMD Turion64 under the hood.
    > I was just wondering if anyone has had experiance installing XP64 on a
    > Turion, and if there are any problems with it.
    >
    > Also, I've heard that getting drivers for a laptop can be a pain. The acer
    > website seems to be less then forthcoming with any help, but it is very
    > clear
    > that installing 64, "revokes" my licence for XP32, or in otherwords,
    > "theres
    > no turning back...".
    >
    > Should I take take the plunge?

    WinXP should absolutely FLY on the new Turion chips...

    As for driver availability; why not dual boot until you can be sure
    everything under the hood has satisfactory 64 bit drivers?

    Bobby
    NoNoBadDog!, Jul 8, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4uSmltZGFy?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Use the trial version to dual boot first. Taking the plunge before you know
    if your software and driver situation warrants it could be a disaster. None
    of my work programs install or work on x64.

    John Barnes, Jul 8, 2005
  4. Interestingly, the UK site for the Ferrari explicitly states that x64 is
    supported. But not the US or Canadian sites. That being said, I know for a
    fact that at least some inside Acer are running their Ferrari 4000's on x64
    Edition. So the non-support may not last long.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 8, 2005
  5. Sounds good, I will do that.
    The Acer website said something about the XP64 install requiring a full
    format of the hard drive, so I didn't think dual boot was posible.

    Could it be that XP64 requires NTFS, and since the laptop comes formated
    FAT, that is what requires reformat?

    If that is true, I could do dual boot by reformatting and then reinstalling
    XP and XP64.

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4uSmltZGFy?=, Jul 8, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4uSmltZGFy?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    You can convert the two partitions easily to NTFS --

    On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 10:29:02 -0700, Brian.Jimdar
    <> wrote:

    >Sounds good, I will do that.
    >The Acer website said something about the XP64 install requiring a full
    >format of the hard drive, so I didn't think dual boot was posible.
    >
    >Could it be that XP64 requires NTFS, and since the laptop comes formated
    >FAT, that is what requires reformat?
    >
    >If that is true, I could do dual boot by reformatting and then reinstalling
    >XP and XP64.
    >

    >"John Barnes" wrote:
    >
    >> Use the trial version to dual boot first. Taking the plunge before you know
    >> if your software and driver situation warrants it could be a disaster. None
    >> of my work programs install or work on x64.
    >>

    >> "Brian.Jimdar" <> wrote in message
    >> > Hello all,
    >> > I am a dotNet developer in Kirkland, WA, and I just bought a Acer Ferrari
    >> > 4000, which has a new AMD Turion64 under the hood.
    >> > I was just wondering if anyone has had experiance installing XP64 on a
    >> > Turion, and if there are any problems with it.
    >> >
    >> > Also, I've heard that getting drivers for a laptop can be a pain. The acer
    >> > website seems to be less then forthcoming with any help, but it is very
    >> > clear
    >> > that installing 64, "revokes" my licence for XP32, or in otherwords,
    >> > "theres
    >> > no turning back...".
    >> >
    >> > Should I take take the plunge?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone Columnist
    http://www.mcemvp.us/bbowman/
    Barb Bowman, Jul 8, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4uSmltZGFy?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    the label on the US 4000 states designed for XP64. I'm getting
    ready...

    Barb Bowman, Jul 8, 2005
  8. convert d: /fs:NTFS
    convert c: /fs:NTFS

    (this second one will require a reboot, for sure, since it can't do the
    conversion on the system volume without catching it before XP starts up.)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 8, 2005
  9. yeah. Too bad you can't do the exchange for it, though. :(

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 8, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4uSmltZGFy?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Jul 9, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4uSmltZGFy?=

    John Barnes Guest

    If the dual boot shows the system is ready there is still 3 weeks for the
    exchange. Still better safe than sorry.

    John Barnes, Jul 9, 2005
  12. No, the issue is that Acer won't support the exchange on the 4000 -- The
    older Ferraris are supported, but not the 4000 model. So installing it voids
    your warranty. (Of course, watch how fast I can image it at 32-bit, then
    restore the image if I need to deal with a warranty issue.)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 9, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4uSmltZGFy?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Is the version so unique that you can't order the TAP and not install it
    until it is supported. Does the exchange have to come from Acer?

    John Barnes, Jul 9, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4uSmltZGFy?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    the Acer version should have the drivers and utils. right now i'm
    trying to think about removing XP64 from the system (it is dual
    booting)

    Barb Bowman, Jul 9, 2005
  15. =?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4uSmltZGFy?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Any drivers and utilities are usually independent of the Operating System,
    not modifications to it. However, that said, some vendors do fully load the
    system and provide the system on a restore disk and that usually includes
    the drivers, but may or may not include utilities.

    John Barnes, Jul 10, 2005
  16. No, the exchange doesn't have to come from Acer. But, if it _does_ come from
    Acer, then it's supported. If it doesn't, it is explicitly NOT supported. And
    you're on your own for drivers, etc.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 10, 2005
  17. =?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4uSmltZGFy?=

    Geoff Hirst Guest

    > Hello all,
    > I am a dotNet developer in Kirkland, WA, and I just bought a Acer Ferrari
    > 4000, which has a new AMD Turion64 under the hood.
    > I was just wondering if anyone has had experiance installing XP64 on a
    > Turion, and if there are any problems with it.
    >
    > Also, I've heard that getting drivers for a laptop can be a pain. The acer
    > website seems to be less then forthcoming with any help, but it is very
    > clear
    > that installing 64, "revokes" my licence for XP32, or in otherwords,
    > "theres
    > no turning back...".
    >
    > Should I take take the plunge?

    Hi,

    I too have Ferrari 4000, luckily I also have MSDN Subscription. However,
    just spent this morning installing Windows XP x64. I was explicitly told by
    AMD execs on the stand at Tech-Ed Europe that all devices that are inside
    the laptop are taken care of by the Windows install. Well the truth is they
    are not.

    These are the devices that do not install

    Mass Storage Controller
    Multimedia Audio Controller
    Network Controller (wireless)
    PCI Modem (not too concerned about this)
    SM Bus Controller

    I had no networking at all, so I had to get the broadcom driver to get the
    gigabit ethernet working, but that has been the extent of my success. I was
    told that the Microsoft driver for the ATI Mobile Radeon X700 worked fine,
    which is only partly true as it doesn't support it's maximum resolution. The
    catalyst drivers from ATI seem to be missing a required INF file so they
    don't work either. There also seems to be something really screwy with USB
    drivers as every device I have seems to be identified as a USB 1.1 device
    when under 32 bit xp they were USB 2.0 devices.

    All in all this seems to be a complete shambles and I now wish that I had
    not wasted time installing x64 and then on top of that actually buying this
    laptop at this time.

    So, for the time being I am rolling back...damn!.

    cheers

    G.
    Geoff Hirst, Jul 10, 2005
  18. =?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4uSmltZGFy?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Sure I can restore it but if there are no drivers in a few weeks, I'd
    like to format the D driver and repair the boot side of the C drive
    which I'm hoping I can do without having to do a full recovery. I
    don't know that anyone has tried this with an XP/XP64 with 64 being
    installed last.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Jul 10, 2005
  19. =?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4uSmltZGFy?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Were you able to roll back on a dual boot without running a recovery ?
    I'd rather repair the boot sector on drive C and format D again.

    I was told the same thing by Acer USA - that they had at least one dev
    running 64 bit and that everything should be supported out of the box.
    I hve not found a technology exchange for the USA to 64 bit either.

    I had the same experience as you. I found a realtek AC97 audio driver
    and the gigE driver, but I'm wireless here. And the thunk.exe unable
    to find an INF file also bit me.

    bluetooth works...

    i'm majorly bummed.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Jul 10, 2005
  20. =?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4uSmltZGFy?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Why don't you experiment. Edit your boot.ini and remove the x64 system.
    Make sure your are defaulted to the x86 system first, and make a copy of the
    original boot.ini and put it in a folder. If everything goes okay you
    should be fine. The only change installing x64 should be the ntldr and
    ntdetect.com which are new versions, and hopefully backward compatible. You
    should be able to get copies of the x86 versions or someone can email them
    to you. They are small.

    >>> http://www.mcemvp.us/bbowman/

    John Barnes, Jul 10, 2005