    I believe the disc to be good, as I had installed from it once before
    successfully but had to redo the install in order to put xp32 on the other
    drive, and then reinstall xp64 on the new drive for a dual boot setup.
    =?Utf-8?B?dG9ueTIwMjA=?=, Sep 23, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?dG9ueTIwMjA=?=

    Rick Guest

    Try deleting the current partition with x64 installed and start a new
    installation.

    Rick, Sep 23, 2005

  3. Well, as of right now, the C drive (the one for xp64) is listed as raw. I
    can't recall how it got to this state as it got late last night. ANyways,
    I'll boot from cdrom with C drive as default start and will reformat the
    drive again, which will delete any partitions if they exist. I believe I've
    done this already, so if there are other suggestions I'm open to them. I
    will try again though. I've even tried the install by disconnecting the F
    drive (master) (the one w/ xp32)--leaving the C drive as slave and had the
    same situation.

    =?Utf-8?B?dG9ueTIwMjA=?=, Sep 23, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?dG9ueTIwMjA=?=

    Rick Guest

    How can your 'F:' drive be the master and the 'C:' drive be the slave?
    How many hard drives do you have total?

    You can make life easier for yourself with XP-32 installed and visible
    when installing x64. Win x64 will recognize the XP-32 installation and
    give you the option to boot either x64 or XP-32 during boot.

    Rick, Sep 23, 2005
  5. I have 2 drives only, both IDE. That too was a question I had, why was
    windows calling any drive F. But nonetheless that is how it is shown when
    booted in xp32, though it only names them C and D in the blue screen
    partition area when trying to install xp64. The optical drives are dvdr and
    cdrw, named D and E respectively in xp32. Maybe that is why it is going in
    circles, due to a drive being called F? Is there a way to get F named back to
    C and C to D as I suspect is "normal?"

    =?Utf-8?B?dG9ueTIwMjA=?=, Sep 23, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?dG9ueTIwMjA=?=

    Rick Guest

    The only way I know of is to start over again. Wipe all partitions from
    all hard drives and leave all drives attached while you install the
    OS's. I have never tried to install XP to the 2nd drive (D:) without
    another system installed, so I am not sure if XP 32-bit would write the
    MBR on the 1st drive (C:) and boot to D: or not. I think drive C: would
    have to have a formatted partition so it would be counted in the scheme.

    I believe most people that dual-boot install XP-32 on C: and let x64 go
    to D:.

    Rick, Sep 23, 2005
  7. Before you install x64, in XP32 reassign the drive letters: E as F then D as
    E.
    You can also format the new disk and assign it as D in XP32.

    I think the x64 install tries to preserve existing drive letter assignments,
    which is why your new disk is showing as F.

    Dominic Payer, Sep 23, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?dG9ueTIwMjA=?=

    Rick Guest

    If he is booted into XP32 and it is recognized as F: drive, he cannot
    change that drive letter. You cannot change the system drive letter in
    Windows.

    Rick, Sep 23, 2005
  9. That is correct.

    I think tony2020 needs to start over if he wants the usual drive letter
    assignments..

    Make sure the motherboard BIOS is updated if necessary, and check that all
    the BIOS settings are correct. Ask in an appropriate forum for the
    motherboard to confirm.

    Confirm that the intended C & D drives are attached to the IDE0 controller
    and the intended E & F optical drives to IDE1 and jumpered as master (C & E)
    and slave (D & F).

    If there are any external drives or card readers they should be disconnected
    during the install as they might take up drive letters before the IDE disks.

    The partitions on the current drives will have to be deleted during the
    install if the current F is to be recognised as C by XP32, so back up any
    data first. After creating the new partition confirm that it has been
    assigned as C and install XP Home. (If the disks are KNOWN to be good a
    quick format will save time).

    Then make any changes needed to the drive letter assignments and install x64
    to D.

    Dominic Payer, Sep 23, 2005
  10. OK, well I deleted all partitions and started over. xp32 is on the C drive
    as master, but when I put xp64 on, it was named to the F drive and also it is
    not recognizing it as an 80gb drive, but rather as 32248mb. Also, in the
    area where u set partitions, it kept an 8 mb area "reserved for windows
    partitioning information." Both OS will load. I"m thinking maybe I should
    have used the Maxblast cd and formatted with that, or would xp64 done its own
    thing anyways? I'm not sure why it named "D" F again as they are on the same
    IDE channel, that was done during the xp64 install. (It made the opticals D
    and E.) I can live with it being called F, but how do I get it to recognize
    it as an 80gb drive? DUring my previous attempts, it did at one point show
    it as the 80gb drive.

    =?Utf-8?B?dG9ueTIwMjA=?=, Sep 24, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?dG9ueTIwMjA=?=

    Randy Guest

    Sounds like you're booting to the CD again...
    Is the hard drive (partitioned and) set as "Active" in BIOS?

    Randy, Sep 25, 2005