    done is install all games to a D: partition and not into the 32 bit program
    files folder. Is this a necessary thing or wil lit not make any difference?

    Any help you guys can provide would be really appreciated.

    =?Utf-8?B?TG9yZF9JdGNoeWJ1bQ==?=, Jul 4, 2005

  2. So far I've installed and run
    Far cry, Halflife 2, Hitman Contract, Quake 3 arena, Enemy Territory ( and
    Enemy Territory Fortress ) Thief III Deadly Shadows, and Enter The Matrix all
    with no problems
    The only game that has given me grief was Doom 3 , as it's installer doesn't
    recognise the windows Version correctly. I even tried following Activision's
    recommended way of installing, whcih works for the base game but soon as you
    try to apply the 1.3 patch it again fails to recognise that Doom 3 is
    installed ( yes i even did their advanced user registry entries )
    Otherwise the game plays fine.
    All the above games play as good as or slightly better then XP Pro 32bit
    that i previously had installed. I'm waiting on my CD ( as is everyone else )
    for the TAP upgrade. but so far under the Eval edition i've had little to no
    problems.

    Athlon64 3000+
    1024mb Kingston DDR PC2700 ram
    Abit ATI Radeon 9600XT-VIO 256DDR
    Abit KV8 PRO Mainboard ( Via chipset )
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2zs Platinum with Live Drive
    200gb PATA133 HDD
    Sony DVDRW

    =?Utf-8?B?Q3lCZXJKYWs=?=, Jul 4, 2005

  3. Did you use the default installation folders or install to a different
    location of your choice?

    =?Utf-8?B?TG9yZF9JdGNoeWJ1bQ==?=, Jul 4, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TG9yZF9JdGNoeWJ1bQ==?=

    DKI Guest

    I never had no issue with the installer on the final version or on the beta
    versions, doom 3 installer worked fine with out any modifications and
    installed of the CDs and the game plays well after installing and patching,
    only doom 3 expansion pack ROE i had issues with the installer,

    Also Area 51 and lego starwars i had issues with the installer but the other
    games like HL2, Farcry, Star Trek Voyager elite force, Elite force 2, Star
    Wars Jedi Knight series (from dark forces 2 to jedi academy) (C&C series
    apart from some 16bit installers which was worked arround) Tomb Raider (2,4
    and 6) mostly scifi games but all worked the only problems you have is the
    starforce games AREA 51 (luckly there was a no cd crack that works and
    allows it to be played on x64) and splinter cell chaos theory will not work
    untill ubisoft patch it to work on X64

    Again Most will work only some issues you will have are installers and some
    starforce protected games (some have no cd cracks that work luckly and i
    found that out during the early betas when no games work with the CD in the
    drive).

    DKI, Jul 4, 2005
  5. Here is great review to read on Games and x64:
    http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzY1
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 4, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TG9yZF9JdGNoeWJ1bQ==?=

    Intel_Fan Guest

    Again, I suspect I have just been lucky but I didn't have any trouble
    faster, but it runs at least as good as on 32bit XPpro. Even Diablo2 LOD
    loaded and ran without incident. Quite surprising as it acts like a 16bit
    DOS game, keeping one of the CPU's maxed. Still a great game though.

    Intel_Fan, Jul 4, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TG9yZF9JdGNoeWJ1bQ==?=

    Michael Zerr Guest

    A little more infor would be helpfull, what video card do you have and
    what drivers are you running. I have a NVIDIA GeForce card, when I
    installed XP-64 it installed some default driver for it,this gave me
    problems with some games so I downloaded the NVIDIA driver for XP 64 and
    things worked a lot better.

    Michael Zerr, Jul 4, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?TG9yZF9JdGNoeWJ1bQ==?=

    Intel_Fan Guest

    Most games should reference the %appath% for files and not have a problem
    being installed in an alternate location.
    Is your system reporting all of your installed memory? Did you check with
    your motherboard manufacturer for updated drivers? Sounds like maybe your HD
    controller is running in a compatibility mode where the acceleration
    features may not be enabled. You might want to check your Event Log to see
    if the OS is having difficulty with the HD.

    Intel_Fan, Jul 4, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?TG9yZF9JdGNoeWJ1bQ==?=

    Intel_Fan Guest

    Wow, I haven't gotten any Tomb Raider version to work since leaving W98
    (never used XP home). They would all install but lock up at the Main Menu.
    Sure miss watching Lara!

    Intel_Fan, Jul 4, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?TG9yZF9JdGNoeWJ1bQ==?=

    Intel_Fan Guest

    Good article! I'm confused that they referred to Doom3 as an OpenGL game as
    it was one of the first DX9 games out. Still, there conclusion was dead on.
    No real gain without CPU optimization but, thankfully, no significant
    setbacks either.

    Intel_Fan, Jul 4, 2005
  11. Lord_Itchybum wrote:
    > Hi there, has anyone had any issues with running games under XP64? I am
    > think ing about doing the exchange program but first downloaded and installed
    > the trial to a seperate HDD. I have installed all device drivers as all my
    > HW has 64 bit driver support.

    I think the bigger issue is the graphics driver (plus CPU/AGP etc). I
    still had to disable cool&quite before WoW would run at the correct
    speed, maybe you want to try that?

    > ALl the games run perfectly fine under XP32.

    So why change? I think there are still a lot of issues (read: missing
    drivers) with x64, certainly compared to the number of available 64bit
    applications :)

    Thomas

    Thomas Steffen, Jul 4, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?TG9yZF9JdGNoeWJ1bQ==?=

    warpsix Guest

    I know with my asus a8v deluxe if you install the wrong sata driver
    everything will work, but the hard drive moved at 3MB per second using
    100% processor which causes games to run real slow as you're describing
    I would download a hard drive benchmarking program to test your system.
    I tested my drive with hdtune from hdtune.com

    warpsix, Jul 4, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?TG9yZF9JdGNoeWJ1bQ==?=

    DKI Guest

    I got all apart from number tomb raider 1 to work since its 16bit but tomb
    raider 2, 3, 4, and 6 work fine with no issues (both on XP Pro 32bit and now
    on X64 now i moved).

    DKI, Jul 4, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?TG9yZF9JdGNoeWJ1bQ==?=

    Intel_Fan Guest

    Do you have an NVidia or ATI based video card? I've always used NVidia for
    game computers.

    (

    Intel_Fan, Jul 4, 2005
  15. Hi guys, thanks for all your help with this. There are a few very usefull
    tips I will try tonight when I am home and let you know how I got on, but in
    the mean time I am using an nVidia 6600GT PCI-E GFX card with nVidia 77.72
    drivers. I also have an ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe motherboard with an AMD64 3200
    CPUI and am using all the ASUS 64 bit drivers they have on their website. It
    is just a very strange thing the slow motion. The HDD is not churning when
    playing any games and WinXP64 boots in record time.
    Also had an issue with Avast AV installing but refusing to update and
    crashing and when I tried to activate my trial of XP64 it refused to do so
    saying that there was no internet connection. I could however surf and check
    email and download files. I resolved this by moving the metwork cable from
    the nVidia port to the Marvell port then it activated. All weirdness. I
    thought I would not have so many issues especially as all my HW has 64 bit
    driver support.

    =?Utf-8?B?TG9yZF9JdGNoeWJ1bQ==?=, Jul 4, 2005
  16. =?Utf-8?B?TG9yZF9JdGNoeWJ1bQ==?=

    DKI Guest

    Same i always used nvidia on all my PCs and games.

    DKI, Jul 4, 2005
  17. =?Utf-8?B?TG9yZF9JdGNoeWJ1bQ==?=

    DKI Guest

    To add i was looking at both ATI and Nvidia when they released the X800 and
    and 6800 line but i know friends who had issues with ATI cards either just
    stopped working or had issues with them and when they switched to nvidia
    they had less problems. nvidia i admit do have better drivers overall and
    compatability which was in the end i went with the 6800GT but ATI i will
    admit are improving alot but i wanted to be a little more future proof even
    with games that went over to using SM3. So the 6800GT was the card i got.

    DKI, Jul 4, 2005
  18. =?Utf-8?B?TG9yZF9JdGNoeWJ1bQ==?=

    Intel_Fan Guest

    Love mine (PCX version), sometimes wish I'd dropped the extra bill on the
    Ultra but the GT has taken everything I've thrown at it and asked for more.
    ATI is pretty respectable now (I've got a FireGL in one of my workstations).
    They have to have improved to be one of the few remaining card builders. 9
    years ago they stunk-out-load. I'll try to load up TR3 and Last Revelation
    on x64 and see what happens.
    Thanks

    Intel_Fan, Jul 5, 2005
  19. I did put it in the respectable program files (x86) and adjusted the registry
    entry accordingly, failed, then tried it in just program files, , again
    adjusting the registry , and again failed. So i figured must still be
    something i did wrong. I'm still waiting on my CD from microsoft, so soon as
    that comes in i'll be redoing the entire system and putting it on the faster
    of my 2 hard disks's ( yea a bit of a pain but worth doing )

    =?Utf-8?B?Q3lCZXJKYWs=?=, Jul 5, 2005
  20. =?Utf-8?B?TG9yZF9JdGNoeWJ1bQ==?=

    DKI Guest

    Mines the AGP version but it does the job well. good luck with TR3 and Last
    Revelations. Hopefully it will work, let me know how it goes.

    DKI, Jul 5, 2005