    Home SP2 on a pc which has Windows XP Pro 64 on already. Will it be possible
    to retain settings or will I need to wipe the HDD first and clean install?
    Mike

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZUI=?=, Feb 5, 2007

  2. You can install in a dual boot scenario if you have an available partition
    to install to. See my blog for details, including how to add a 32-bit OS
    after a 64bit on.

    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2005/11/21/76180.aspx

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 5, 2007

  3. Thanks for the info and link. Unfortunately, dual booting is not an option on
    this occasion, so my original question still stands.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZUI=?=, Feb 5, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZUI=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Depending on how much work you want to do, you can make and image copy of
    the drive using third party products or clean your drive and install. Both
    cannot be installed on the same partition. Another good option is install
    another drive.

    John Barnes, Feb 5, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZUI=?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Mike:
    A format and clean installation is the only way to perform a cross
    platform installation. The other options are to dual-boot as Charlie
    mentioned or using a VM. Have a great day.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    XP x64, Vista Enterprise x64

    Dennis Pack, Feb 5, 2007
  6. Then you're going to have to do a format and clean install, I'm afraid. Save
    off any critical data files first, please.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 5, 2007
  7. MikeB wrote:
    > For reasons too complicated to explain here, I need to install Windows XP
    > Home SP2 on a pc which has Windows XP Pro 64 on already. Will it be possible
    > to retain settings or will I need to wipe the HDD first and clean install?
    > Mike

    I'm afraid that the only way to change from WinXP Pro (Regardless
    of whether it's 32-bit or 64-bit) to WinXP Home is to format the drive
    and start over. There is no supported downgrade path or technique.

    After backing up any data you wish to transfer to the new OS
    installation,, simply boot from the WinXP Home installation CD. You'll
    be offered the opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as
    part of the installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order
    of boot devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

    HOW TO Install Windows XP

    Then the backed up data can be restored and applications re-installed.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Feb 6, 2007
  8. Thanks - it's what I expected, but nice to have it confirmed by people who
    know.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZUI=?=, Feb 6, 2007
  9. No. You will have to clean install XP x86.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 7, 2007
  10. Re: XP64 down to XP Home - FAO Charlie Russel

    I followed your advice, thanks, but have encountered a serious problem with
    RAID. I have posted this in the Windows XP Hardware Discussion, since it is
    not relevant to this 64bit forum any more. Would be grateful for your help.
    Mike

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZUI=?=, Feb 10, 2007