XP64 (c:RAID Array) & XP32 (SATA) Dual Boot Probs

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by cstanger, Aug 14, 2006.

  1. cstanger

    cstanger Guest

    Hello
    I currently have XP64 installed on a RAID array and have done for som
    time.
    I now need to install XP32 for work purposes. I have installed a new
    hardrive to do this and installed XP32Pro following all th
    instructions.
    At the end of the installation, the computer restarts and I get a
    error
    message saying that windows has failed to start properly. I can no
    get XP32 to load at all. When I switch teh boot device order back t
    removable/HD etc, I do get a boot menu and XP64 still boots fine. Bu
    again, when I try XP32 , I get the same message. Do you know what
    need to do to get this to load??

    Just some more info, here is what is detailed in my boot.ini..
    [boot loader
    timeout=3
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOW
    [operating systems
    Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptI
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP 64"
    /fastdetect /NoExecut

    Under windows XP64, the C: drive is my RAID array and F: is the driv
    that
    contains the SATA WD drive for XP32. What I did notice was that when
    was installing XP32, it noticed the RAID array as d: and the SATA WD a
    c:. When I am in Win Recovery console, th XP version in on c: and m
    old XP64 and all my other stuff is on d:. Something really strabg
    seems to be going on with my drives
    When I have loaded into XP64, they appear as normal (i.e RAID as C: an
    new drive with XP32 as f:.) Something definitely seems to be going o
    with my drives

    Thank
    Chri

    --
    cstange
    cstanger's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=244

    cstanger, Aug 14, 2006

  2. cstanger

    John Barnes Guest

    Something really strabge
    > seems to be going on with my drives.

    This is frequently the case and is why I always ask for Drive # and
    Partition number rather than letters which can vary alot.

    Using the drive number partition number format, as you are currently set up
    in your boot priority, what shows up in Disk management. Drive # (type
    SATA, IDE) Partition (description and what status ie boot, system, active)

    John Barnes, Aug 14, 2006

  3. Do not try to use the BIOS boot device order for multi-boot, but instead use
    the instructions on my blog. Since you're doing it in reverse order, there
    are some files you need to save off and restore after the XP 32bit install,
    but that's easy enough to do and is detailed towards the end of the article.

    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2005/11/21/76180.aspx
    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 14, 2006
  4. cstanger

    cstanger Guest

    Hi John

    Disk Management is showing..

    DISK 1 = c:\ as my 389GB RAID, status Healthy (Boot
    DISK 0 = f:\ as newly installed WD Raptor 70GB, status Health
    (System

    Both are NTFS, Partition Layout, type Basic. I can not see anythin
    else about partitions, but I have not manually set any up myself.

    I have followed the usual restore process after installing XP32 las
    such as replacing the ntldr & ntdetect.com from the XP64 cd and rebuil
    the boot.ini

    Thank

    cstanger, Aug 14, 2006
  5. cstanger

    John Barnes Guest

    The 3 files from the x64 system need to be on the root of your f (Raptor)
    the way you are currently configured.
    you say you rebuilt the boot.ini The safest way to rebuild it is using the
    bootcfg /rebuild command in Recovery Console.

    Did you get the whole way thru the xp86 install.

    John Barnes, Aug 14, 2006
  6. cstanger

    cstanger Guest

    I have copied the three files (assuming you are refferring to ntldr,
    ntdetect and boot.ini) to the f:drive. As such, XP64 boots fine. Its
    just the XP32 that fails and says that it has failed to boot, do I want
    to boot normallly, in safe mode etc. I have tried a number of the
    options but the system just reboots.

    I have never got XP32 to load. It all installs fine, but then on the
    final reboot (after key code and locations settings), when it reboots
    it comes up with the screen.

    When I installed XP32, I did F6 to install the RAID drivers so that the
    installation would be able to see the RAID array (and thus when I was
    booted to 32, I can move files from the c: to the new f: drive. Is
    this what is causing the problem. Should I not have pressed F6 if I
    was not going to install to the RAID c:?

    cstanger, Aug 14, 2006
  7. cstanger

    andy Guest

    On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 13:21:03 +0100, cstanger
    <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >I currently have XP64 installed on a RAID array and have done for some
    >time.
    >I now need to install XP32 for work purposes. I have installed a new
    >hardrive to do this and installed XP32Pro following all the
    >instructions.
    >At the end of the installation, the computer restarts and I get an
    >error
    >message saying that windows has failed to start properly. I can not
    >get XP32 to load at all. When I switch teh boot device order back to
    >removable/HD etc, I do get a boot menu and XP64 still boots fine. But
    >again, when I try XP32 , I get the same message. Do you know what I
    >need to do to get this to load???

    If the installation completed, then you must have booted from the WD
    SATA once after the first phase of the installation.

    My suggestion is clean install XP32 again, and see if you get the same
    results.

    >Just some more info, here is what is detailed in my boot.ini...
    >[boot loader]
    >timeout=30
    >default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    >[operating systems]
    >multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    >Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    >multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP 64"
    >/fastdetect /NoExecute

    I'm assuming that you manually modified boot.ini, because based on the
    rdisk number and your other message that the WD disk is system,
    boot.ini is on the WD SATA disk, which means that dual booting would
    not have been installed during XP32 setup.

    >Under windows XP64, the C: drive is my RAID array and F: is the drive
    >that
    >contains the SATA WD drive for XP32. What I did notice was that when I
    >was installing XP32, it noticed the RAID array as d: and the SATA WD as
    >c:.

    What this means is when you installed the WD SATA disk, it became the
    first disk in the BIOS hard disk priority order. XP32 setup assigns C:
    to the first active primary partition that it detects.

    andy, Aug 14, 2006
  8. cstanger

    cstanger Guest

    cstanger, Aug 14, 2006
  9. cstanger

    John Barnes Guest

    At this point, we know you have the correct files to launch x64 and have
    installed XP (which completed) and you have the boot.ini which shows that it
    has changed the timeout to 30 from the 1 that it has after the initial phase
    of the install. You also said it was present in Recovery Console. You
    booted into the XP system for the GUI phase, so the drivers should be okay.
    I would disconnect the x64 drive and try to start x32 to see what messages
    you get and then I would do the rebuild of the boot.ini with the Recovery
    console as previously suggested. That should give you 4 entries on your
    boot.ini which you can clean up later. Let's see what you get with those
    two
    If I understand correctly you just go thru a reboot if you select either
    Safe or VGA modes using F8. If I am wrong, try those and see the results.

    John Barnes, Aug 15, 2006
  10. cstanger

    cstanger Guest

    Thanks John

    I will try this shortly when I get home. Just in the meantime, i
    should be possible for me to boot into Win XP32 and view my other har
    drive that contains Win XP64 isn't it

    When in XP64 I can see my new drive as f: as mentioned, and when
    first installed, I thought I did it incorrectly as I did not load i
    the raid drivers when I was installing X32. However, X32 did boot, bu
    obviously I could not view the Raid array. At the moment I am thinkin
    this is the prob.

    I will try what you suggested tonight

    cstanger, Aug 15, 2006
  11. cstanger

    John Barnes Guest

    Hopefully someone who uses RAID will answer your question. If you installed
    x32 and it booted properly without RAID drivers, then that probably is the
    proper installation method and someone can point out how to set it up to
    read your RAID drive from x32.

    John Barnes, Aug 15, 2006
  12. cstranger:
    To be able to read your raid drives in XP32 requires installing
    the raid drivers in XP32. Since the XP32 installation isn't on the raid
    drives the F6 installation isn't required during setup. While running XP32
    insert your MOBO disk into your CD/DVD drive and install the raid drivers.
    After rebooting your raid drives should be visable and accessable in XP32.
    That's the simple solution that I found after reinstalling an operating
    system more than once because I forgot to hit F6 during installation.

    Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2, Aug 15, 2006
  13. cstanger

    cstanger Guest

    Hi John/Dennis

    John - Re unplugging the RAID drives - unfortunately the same thing
    happened.

    I am going to try a fresh install of x32 without installing any RAID
    drivers. I will then try to install them at a later.

    I'll let you know how I get on.

    Thanks for all your help so far!!

    cstanger, Aug 15, 2006
  14. cstanger

    cstanger Guest

    I have got it to work!

    As Dennis suggested, install Xp32 and then install the RAID drivers.
    This dodn't work either at first. It was recognising the drives as
    hardware connection but not in device manager. However, in devic
    manager, I noticed a red cross through one of the storage devic
    drivers.

    I had to setup a net connection in x32 and downloaded the lates
    driver. After re-booting I could see the RAID array in x32.

    Thanks for your help guys

    cstanger, Aug 18, 2006
  15. cstanger

    John Barnes Guest

    Glad to hear you have gotten it to work. Good detective work on your part.

    John Barnes, Aug 18, 2006